Europe

noddy

Re: Europe

Post by noddy »

Well, previous 20 odd years are Europe in "end of history" mode - all the twaddle about good trade relations and dependancies stopping war and creating endless peace - only the eastern europeans knew the world hadnt really changed.

Now they realise Russia is stil lliving 100 years ago and its all a bit akward.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:22 am Well, previous 20 odd years are Europe in "end of history" mode - all the twaddle about good trade relations and dependencies stopping war and creating endless peace - only the eastern europeans knew the world hadn't really changed.

Now they realise Russia is still living 100 years ago and its all a bit awkward.
Even historically neutral Sweden has figured out what the Baltics and E Europeans have known since the demise of the former Soviet Union.

BBC | Hungary's parliament clears path for Sweden's NATO membership

Another impressive win for the master strategist, Putin.

No one wants to be Russian.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Wilders.jpeg
Wilders.jpeg (65.22 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Centrists are no longer what they used to be. They are now extremist bureaucrats, out of sync with reality and the people they represent. I don't particularly like the persona of Wilders and many on the populist frontwaves, but they are a better choice than anything centrist available. "Far right" in reality hardly exists: they are real fringe neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups. Will however include the not-to-be-mentioned Islamo-fascists; in number they are the biggest far-right group in Urp and dripping with anti-Semitism.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:06 pm Wilders.jpeg

I think this a mistake

Wilders represent a big segment of Dutch who have legitimate concerns about many issues .. it would have been better Wilders would have taken power and see how his group addresses and wants to solve the issues, leading to unintended consequences .. solving the issues or fail.

Sweeping things under the carpet just kicking the can, solves nothing.

Post WW2 Europe (West) experimented with "Liberalism" .. now lets see what ideas "conservatists" have.

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Three things drive and feed national populist movements:

1. Brussels is accumulating too much power, eating away national souvereignty and making a farce of democracy.

2. Too much money is wasted on climate change and environmental EU dictats that are bad for farmers and farming.

3. Nation states want to democratically decide how many immigrants or refugees can enter their country. Nobody likes the idea and feeling that others decide who should have a room in your house and get a key of your front door.

Especially (3) makes people vote nationalist / populist. The country you live in, where you share culture, history, language... where you can vote, where you do your shopping and went to school, where you cheer for national athletes and teams in sports...is an extension of your home. It is tribal territory .

Tell the tribe they no longer decide who can join and live on their territory... good chance most not like that at all. Instinctively the tribe feels the threat of wolves at the gate, of looming intrusions of a foreign empire. A reality millions of years old. To conquer and keep, to defend or lose.

That empire is the transnational globalist cabal of techno-burocrats and big corp. People living in and off that monster are quickly loosing sense of their tribal origins and nature, looking down on these populist nationalist "deplorables" and before they know it, are convinced they need to rule the plebs as kings and masters. Power can be addictive too.
Deep down I'm very superficial