Canada

A Mari usque ad Mare
Apollonius

Re: Canada

Post by Apollonius »

Who says Canada is boring?

This story has everything: money, sex, violence, race, hypocritical, corrupt, and incompetent politicians...

Harper let down by 'appalling' allegations against Brazeau - CBC News, 8 February 2013
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2 ... rrest.html

Brazeau was arrested on Thursday morning after a call to 911.

Gatineau police Const. Pierre Lanthier told CBC News that a 38-year-old man spent the night in custody following his arrest.

The two charges are summary conviction offences, which carry smaller penalties and shorter jail sentences than indictable offences.

Even if convicted, Brazeau may not be forced to give up his Senate seat if his sentence is less than two years.

The senator has weathered several controversies since his appointment in 2009.

'Never should have been nominated'

New Democrat MP Alexandre Boulerice said Friday after question period that Brazeau never should have been nominated in the first place, and that the nominations of Brazeau and Duffy show Prime Minister Stephen Harper has a problem with political judgment.

"We're calling into question the political judgment of the prime minister in these nominations. How was it that someone like Patrick Brazeau was named to the Senate, with a job for life? For taxpayers it will cost, until 2049, $7 million," Boulerice said.

(That's not counting housing, travel, and other expenses, plus pension)

Brazeau used father-in-law's address to get tax exemption - CTV News, 6 February 2013
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/brazeau-us ... -1.1146468

Conservative Senator Patrick Brazeau used his former father-in-law’s address in a First Nations community when he claimed an aboriginal income tax exemption from 2004 to 2008, CTV News has learned.

Brazeau, who has publicly called on aboriginal leaders to be more financially accountable, listed the residence on the Kitigan Zibi First Nation in Quebec as his mailing address for four years, unbeknownst to his ex-wife’s father.

“I was not aware of that,” Daryl Tenasoco told CTV News

Neighbours said it did not appear that Brazeau lived in the community.

“I’ve never seen him,” Jean Guy Whiteduck said. “It’s right across from my place. I’ve never seen him there. He may have visited. That’s about it.”

But documents show that income tax exemptions were applied to Brazeau from 2004 to 2008 when he listed the Kitigan Zibi home as his address.

At the time, Brazeau made a six-figure salary working for the Congress of Aboriginal Peoples, or CAP, which represents the interest of Canadian aboriginals who live off-reserve.

“I’m not sure how he would have done that,” Kitigan Zibi Chief Gilbert Whiteduck said. “Normally you have income tax exemption when you live on a reserve and you are employed by a reserve.”

“To put all the focus on accountability, he better be looking in the mirror,” Whiteduck said.

UPDATE: PM calls Brazeau case 'terrible'; Senator on bail on charges of sexual assault - Ottawa Citizen, 8 February 2013
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Senat ... story.html

... Once legal notice of a charge has been delivered to the Senate administration, the Senate's internal economy committee determines whether a member of the Senate should be suspended. If so, the senator is suspended with pay, although access to parliamentary resources would be cut off and travel allowances would be cut. Members can be ejected from the Senate if convicted of an indictable offence and given no less than two years in jail. No senator to date has been ejected. Suspension of senators is determined by the rules of the Senate, which were amended last year.

Speaking generally about senators who might break the law, and not specifically to any one case, Sen. James Cowan, the Liberal leader in the Senate, said Thursday that neither he nor Conservative Senate leader LeBreton "have any tolerance for people who are breaching the rules. We're talking about the expenditure of public money and we have zero tolerance, either of us, for anybody screwing around with the rules."

There has been displeasure in the Conservative caucus with Brazeau's behaviour since his Twitter spat last year with a Canadian Press reporter, in which he used a profanity to insult her.

CTV News reported Wednesday night that Brazeau used his former father-in-law's address when he claimed an aboriginal income tax exemption from 2004 to 2008, listing the residence, on Quebec's Kitigan Zibi First Nation, as his mailing address without his ex-wife's father's knowledge.

Neighbours said it didn't appear that Brazeau lived in the community, the report said.

At the time, Brazeau was national chief of the Congress of Aboriginal Peoples, a group which attempts to represent the interest of off-reserve aboriginals. He had joined the group in 2001 and became its national chief in 2006.

In 2009, The Globe and Mail reported allegations that Brazeau had sexually harassed a female employee at the Congress. The allegations related to text messages and phone calls between Brazeau and a female former employee in late 2007 and early 2008.

Brazeau said an independent investigation cleared him of the allegation and no charges came about.

Brazeau also came to public notice a year ago when he lost a boxing match to Liberal MP Justin Trudeau. The parliamentarians were raising money for charity and although Trudeau was thought to be the underdog, he bested Brazeau.

At the time of his appointment to the Senate, opposition politicians raised doubts about whether Brazeau was Senate material.

"I think it's fair to say that there's an accumulation of doubt as to whether Mr. Brazeau meets the criteria for a Senate appointment," then-Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff told reporters in January 2009.

Initially, after his appointment to the Senate, Brazeau said he planned to stay on as the Congress of Aboriginal People's national chief, which would have left him collecting two six-figure salaries. The plan was widely criticized, and Brazeau abandoned it, taking his Senate salary only.

Patrick Brazeau
http://www.parl.gc.ca/SenatorsMembers/S ... Language=E

Patrick believes that Canada’s Aboriginal affairs must be reformed in order to end the status quo which overwhelmingly supports a system of Indian Reserves where poverty and hopelessness remain pervasive.

Perhaps most importantly, Patrick believes in a strong sense of personal responsibility for one’s own future. He feels strongly about self-sufficiency for Aboriginal peoples at both the individual and community levels. Patrick is a strong advocate for youth participation in the parliamentary process.

Above all, Patrick is a proud Canadian, a determined federalist and a staunch advocate for national unity across this country.

Patrick’s has worked extensively at the United Nations and collaboratively with other international agencies.

Patrick Brazeau is the fifteenth Aboriginal Senator named to the Senate since Confederation. He also holds the distinction of being the third youngest person ever named to the Upper Chamber of Parliament.

Patrick served in the Canadian Armed Forces (Naval Reserve/HMCS Carleton) and has a 2nd degree black belt in Karate. He holds a diploma in Social Sciences from Heritage College and has also studied Civil Law at the University of Ottawa.

(But he dropped out of law school. Understandable. I'm sure that course is more difficult than the two jobs he subsequently took on; certainly they present more opportunities)
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... le8786118/
At least 3,000 native children died in residential schools: research

At least 3,000 children, including four under the age of 10 found huddled together in frozen embrace, are now known to have died during attendance at Canada’s Indian residential schools, according to new unpublished research.

While deaths have long been documented as part of the disgraced residential school system, the findings are the result of the first systematic search of government, school and other records.

“These are actual confirmed numbers,” Alex Maass, research manager with the Missing Children Project, told The Canadian Press from Vancouver.

In the 1990s, thousands of victims sued the churches that ran the 140 schools and the Canadian government. A $1.9-billion settlement of the lawsuit in 2007 prompted an apology from Prime Minister Stephen Harper, and the creation of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

The research – carried out under the auspices of the commission – has involved combing through more than one million government and other records, including nuns’ journal entries.

The longer-term goal is to make the information available at national research centre.

I suppose there isn't much more the government can do about this specific issue. Settlement with survivors, formal apology from the Prime Minister, and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, its about all you can realistically expect. Some of the push back from certain people - mostly far-right cranks - is a little surprising, but marginal. I recall a columnist for the Ottawa Citizen harshly criticizing the PM for the apology back in 2007, and defending the intentions of the Residential school system, but I see he's since been fired for unrelated reasons. I was hoping for another gem in response to this report.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Talk about flogging a dead horse.

We've been through this several times already.

1) How many tens of thousands of Native children would have ended up frozen if outside intervention had not prevented it?

2) How do Residential Schools compare to ordinary schools in the nineteenth and early twentieth century? How are Irish, Doukhobors, Ukrainians, Icelanders, Italians, and Chinese being compensated for the loss of their culture?

3) How does Canada's treatment of its aboriginal population compare with that of other nations where a technologically advanced culture met people living in the Stone Age?

For example, is government of France funding studies to uncover discrimination and abuse against Bretons and Alsatians in their determination to make French the only viable language spoken in France? Where are the government reports from the Egyptian government documenting the deaths of thousands of Christians at the hands of Muslims in that country?

Ibrahim,

Your posts to this thread are as tedious and one-sided as Azari's.

What if someone started a thread about Turkey and every single post to it was about genocide against Armenians or atrocities committed against Kurds, or all the mistreatment and abuse against literally dozens of other ethnic groups who have had the misfortune of living anywhere close to Turkey?

Since you appear to have some interest in the politics of Canada's First Nations peoples, it seems a little odd that there has been no discussion of the Idle No More movement.

In any case, I guess it's fizzling out, and has definitely backfired. For starters, the name for the protest was particularly ill chosen. You'd think they'd hire consultants with a firmer grasp of the nuances of the English language and a feel for popular stereotypes. Mostly, this protest seems to have brought the issue of zero accountability within Native bands and the deep divisions between and within the bands themselves to the attention of the general public.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Monthly federal budget deficit widens - CBC News, 22 February 2013
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2 ... ember.html

The federal government’s latest numbers on its budget deficit give few clues about whether it will come in on target with its $26 billion forecast.

The federal finance department said Friday it ran a deficit of $600 million in December, bringing the total for the first nine months of the current financial year to $13 billion.

[...]

The December deficit grew as program expenses increased by $700 million from a year earlier to $20.3 billion for the month.

Payments for benefits for the elderly increased by $200 million, while employment insurance benefit payments increased by $200 million. Children's benefits increased by $15 million.

Meanwhile, major transfers to other levels of government increased by $600 million, while direct program spending was down $200 million.

The federal government's revenue grew by $600 million to $22.2 billion, with personal income tax revenues up $1 billion and corporate income tax revenues were down $400 million.

The link in this article to the story about Canadian crude oil being sold at a substantial discount is interesting:

Oil price gap costing Canada billions - Peter Evans, CBC News, 13 December 2012
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2 ... eport.html

The wide gap between oil’s global benchmark price and what Canadian producers can get for their oil is costing Canada $2.5 billion a month, according to new research that sees the spread remaining for years even if new pipelines are built. ...
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

ciwYzdGtcJE
2MS4hQvLaVI

Main Pillar of democracy, is, Protection of Minority Rights

What a disaster

DSQjUKxwD1k
6yyYuEgpwqI

Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Apollonius wrote:Talk about flogging a dead horse.
I know that historical facts are contrary to your agenda, but as the article makes clear this is new research based on primary source materials. If you knew anything about historiography you would understand why such research is important.

1) How many tens of thousands of Native children would have ended up frozen if outside intervention had not prevented it?
So not really a crime then? How many Jews would have died of other causes had the Nazis not gassed them? By your "logic" we need to lower the casualty figures for the Holocaust substantially. Nobody uses "the f___ers would have died anyway!" as a legal defense.

2) How do Residential Schools compare to ordinary schools in the nineteenth and early twentieth century?
They were formed for the express purpose of cultural genocide, and the deaths and systematic abuse of the children there was concealed.

3) How does Canada's treatment of its aboriginal population compare with that of other nations where a technologically advanced culture met people living in the Stone Age?
About the same, except that for some reason you are objecting to the historical recovery of those events. You also seem to cling to the notion that these practices are acceptable because of the disparity in technology.

Furthermore, and this is also owing to your historical ignorance, the events discussed in the article occur well after the initial contact period, which was actually more humane in many ways. But since you don't see a problem with these events I suppose that's not relevant.

For example, is government of France.... government reports from the Egyptian government...?
1. This is the Canada thread, for news about Canada.

2. You are complaining that Canadians shouldn't care/talk about this, so why are you then asking why French and Egyptians should be talking about this. Try and pick a single, coherent position and defend it. You're irrationally throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.

I don't read Azari's posts. I linked to an article in a major media publication about new research on the subject of Canadian history. Your hostility to this is suspicious.

What if someone started a thread about Turkey and every single post to it was about genocide against Armenians or atrocities committed against Kurds
According to your logic that would be "beating a dead horse" and there would be no point talking about it. Also, that would not belong in the "Canada" thread now would it?

Since you appear to have some interest in the politics of Canada's First Nations peoples, it seems a little odd that there has been no discussion of the Idle No More movement.
I discussed it earlier in the thread.

In any case, I guess it's fizzling out, and has definitely backfired.
Very odd that you would complain that discussing new historical research about First Nations in Canada is a pointless and biased thing to talk about, and then shift non sequitur into a criticism of a contemporary aboriginal rights movement. There is nothing logical connecting these subjects, unless you have some personal axe to grind.
Heracleum Persicum

Ibrahim wrote:.
Apollonius wrote:.
I don't read Azari's posts.

:lol:

Come on Ibrahim, come on

and

Apollonius, people living in glass houses should not throw rocks

Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:

Come on Ibrahim, come on

I sometimes skim your posts. I never watch your videos, though. I told you before: political videos rot your brain. If you want to be taken seriously, stop posting them.

and

Apollonius, people living in glass houses should not throw rocks .

I do not post about Iran or Turkey. You should also learn to keep to subjects you know something about.
Heracleum Persicum

Apollonius wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:

Come on Ibrahim, come on

I sometimes skim your posts. I never watch your videos, though. I told you before: political videos rot your brain. If you want to be taken seriously, stop posting them.

and

Apollonius, people living in glass houses should not throw rocks .

I do not post about Iran or Turkey. You should also learn to keep to subjects you know something about.

Thank you for you sometimes skim my posts, but

Video clips I post no political, but NEWS .. they no expressing opinion but they qualify as NEWS .. opinion & views dime a dozen, not so NEWS

and

Issue not what you or Azari post, issue we debating western hypocrisy, Canada, Turkey, Iran, human rights, democracy, Islam, terrorism, Harper and and and, and, always happy to learn from those who know more than I do :)

Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Apollonius wrote:I do not post about Iran or Turkey.
False claim. Appo has referenced Turkish history several times, despite his obvious and self-declared ignorance of the subject.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21722379
Canada's Metis win 142-year-old land ruling

Canada's Supreme Court has ruled the government failed to hand out land grants properly to the Metis indigenous group 142 years ago.

In a 6-2 ruling, the top court said the failure was "not a matter of occasional negligence, but of repeated mistakes and inaction".

The Metis are descendants of indigenous people and European immigrants.

The land was promised in a 1870 law, to settle a rebellion of existing Metis amid a wave of settlement in Manitoba.

After delays, it was eventually distributed via a lottery that largely benefited European settlers.

The Manitoba Metis Federation (MMF), which brought the suit, celebrated the end of three decades of legal challenges over the land-grant provision.

"Such pride at home right now, and tears are being shed. They're crying and they're phoning," MMF President David Chartrand told broadcaster CBC.

During an earlier hearing in front of the Supreme Court, government lawyers argued Manitoba had properly dealt with the grants and that after a more than century the matter had run its course.

Among the approximately 1.4m acres (566,560 ha) of land originally promised to the Metis is the provincial capital, Winnipeg, and the surrounding area, known as the Red River Settlement.

The land was promised to 7,000 children of the Red River Metis, CBC reports. By 2006, the number of Metis throughout Canada was estimated at 400,000.

Metis groups said they were no longer looking to reclaim the land but seeking damages instead.

"I call on the prime minister of Canada to come to the table with his cabinet, or his minister, to sit down with the Metis nation," Mr Chartrand told reporters on Friday.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Nishi ... story.html
Nishiyuu Walkers on final stretches of 1,300-km trek to Ottawa
By Teresa Smith, OTTAWA CITIZEN

MANIWAKI, Que. — David Kawapit, 18, wanted Canadians to hear his voice. So, on Jan. 16, 2013, he set out with six of his friends from their home in Whapmagoostui, Que., to walk 1,300 kilometres to Ottawa.

The Nishiyuu Walkers, as they are called, are travelling along traditional Cree and Algonquin trading routes, bringing a message of unity to other First Nations and Canadians, alike.

Armed with walking sticks, snowshoes and smartphones, word of their journey spread through social media and word of mouth and, as they passed through each northern community, more First Nations youth — both Cree and Algonquin — joined the walk.

By Monday’s arrival on Parliament Hill, organizers expect at least 250 walkers and many more supporters to swell the ranks.

“Every person is walking for their own reasons,” Kawapit said Wednesday afternoon in Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg, near Maniwaki, where the group had stopped to rest for the day.

For Kawapit, his reason is simple: “The Cree nation used to go on journeys that lasted years to reunite the people. That’s what I want. That’s what we need.”

Max Poucachiche, 24, joined the “sacred march” in Lac Simon, an Algonquin community a few days’ walk from Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg.

He is walking with his three sisters and his brother “for future generations.”

“It depends on us,” said Poucachiche, looking up at the eagle feathers attached to his painted walking stick. “It’s our job to defend our territory.”
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Canada's Supreme Court has ruled the government failed to hand out land grants properly to the Metis indigenous group 142 years ago.

Good. I am happy to see that Canada continues to set an example of respect for property rights and the rule of law. This ruling should keep lawyers employed for decades as they sort through what might be considered appropriate compensation.

I look forward to the courts in Turkey issuing a similar ruling with respect to Constantinople.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Here is some interesting information about the membership of First Nations in Canada:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_In ... population

You will notice that many of the reserves in B.C. list two figures, for example, the Tsawassen Band, which I have written about on another thread regarding their involvement with the development of a multi-billion dollar port facility, mall, and condominium project on its land, has 675 members, of which 475 have "non-Aboriginal identity" while 200 have "Aboriginal identity". The Capilano Band of the Squamish Nation, which I have also written about in connection with their numerous and long-running condominium, mall, and other development projects, has 2,495 members, of which 1,635 have "non-Aboriginal identity", 850 have "Aboriginal identity".

From what I understand you only need to have one eighth Indian blood to be considered to have "Aboriginal idenity", although even that requirement seems to have lapsed in recent years.

The Tsawassen and Capilano examples are actually typical for this province. Most of the bands with a population of over 500 have twice as many members with "non-aboriginal identity" as with, and in some notable cases, the proportion is even larger. For example, Tsinstikeptum 9, the largest reserve in Canada, has 5,170 members, of which 4,465 have "non-Aboriginal identity", while 705 have "Aboriginal idenity".

I begin to feel that the Indian Act and the Indian Reserve (called Reservations in the U.S.) system is not much more than a giant scam which allows the members to receive tax-free income and tax-free property status, free housing, free education, free medical and dental care, and other benefits, especially including exemption from zoning and environmental regulations, and even the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Other provinces do not break down their numbers but it seems certain that the situation there and also in the U.S. is equivalent, that is, at least two-thirds of the members have little or no "Aboriginal identity".
Last edited by Apollonius on Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

The really big news in Canada this evening is that we have a new leader of the Liberal Party:

Liberals choose Justin Trudeau as new leader - CBC News, 14 April 2013
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2 ... sults.html

Liberals have chosen Justin Trudeau to lead the Liberal Party of Canada into the next general election in 2015.
The new leader was elected through a preferential ballot based on a points system that gives each of the 308 ridings in the country 100 points for a total of 30,800 points.

Trudeau was elected on the first ballot with 24,668 points — he only needed to obtain 50 per cent plus one, or a total of 15,401 points.

The total turnout for the vote was 82 per cent after 104,552 people cast a ballot by the time polls closed on Sunday afternoon, out of a total of 127,264 registered voters.

That's the largest number of people to elect a leader in the history of Canada, party officials told a crowd of 1,000 Liberal supporters gathered in Ottawa on Sunday.

Some background:

How Justin Trudeau grew from poster boy to leader-in-waiting
- CBC News, 13 April 2013
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2 ... there.html

Outsourcing Canadian jobs is likely to be the first issue that Mr. Trudeau will be querying Mr. Harper and his Immigration Minister about:

RBC replaces Canadian staff with foreign workers - Kathy Tomlinson, CBC News, 6 April 2013
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... rkers.html

Axed employee blows whistle; federal government investigating

Dozens of employees at Canada’s largest bank are losing their jobs to temporary foreign workers, who are in Canada to take over the work of their department. ...

Ex-RBC foreign workers say contractor controlled their lives - Kathy Tomlinson, CBC News, 11 April 2013
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... rkers.html

Two IT contractors from India who worked at RBC in Toronto said their lives were tightly controlled by their multinational employer, while they took over the jobs of Canadian bank workers.

"They have a rotation policy, and they make sure you don’t get settled here," said one of the ex-iGATE employees. “You are always threatened that at any time you will be sent back [to India]."

The men, who now have permanent resident status in Canada and new jobs, spoke to the CBC's Go Public under the condition they would not be identified. Go Public first broke the story Saturday of dozens of employees at RBC who were losing their jobs to temporary foreign workers. ...

Skilled labour gap evidence skimpy and selective - CBC News, 11 April 2013
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2 ... abour.html

Is there a skilled labour shortage in Canada? Many employers say there is, but even some business surveys and the government's own research suggests the evidence is at best slim and sporadic. ...
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Apollonius wrote:

Good. I am happy to see that Canada continues to set an example of respect for property rights and the rule of law. This ruling should keep lawyers employed for decades as they sort through what might be considered appropriate compensation.

I look forward to the courts in Turkey issuing a similar ruling with respect to Constantinople.

What's interesting here is your apparent understanding of the Metis as a "conquered people" in the sense that the Ottomans conquered the remnants of the Byzantine empire. It appears that in your haste to denigrate any non-white Canadians you forgot that the Metis were British subjects who had their legal rights undermined and stripped by the Canadian government of the day, which did not yet legally control those territories. So what you are actually seeing the government held to account for its past wrongs by the court.

That you think the relationship between the Canadian government and First Nations peoples is comparable to wars of conquest explains some of the comically incorrect statements you have made and, I'm sure, will continue to make.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Apollonius wrote:Here is some interesting information about the membership of First Nations in Canada:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_In ... population

You will notice that many of the reserves in B.C. list two figures, for example, the Tsawassen Band, which I have written about on another thread regarding their involvement with the development of a multi-billion dollar port facility, mall, and condominium project on its land, has 675 members, of which 475 have "non-Aboriginal identity" while 200 have "Aboriginal identity". The Capilano Band of the Squamish Nation, which I have also written about in connection with their numerous and long-running condominium, mall, and other development projects, has 2,495 members, of which 1,635 have "non-Aboriginal identity", 850 have "Aboriginal identity".

From what I understand you only need to have one eighth Indian blood to be considered to have "Aboriginal idenity", although even that requirement seems to have lapsed in recent years.

The Tsawassen and Capilano examples are actually typical for this province. Most of the bands with a population of over 500 have twice as many members with "non-aboriginal identity" as with, and in some notable cases, the proportion is even larger. For example, Tsinstikeptum 9, the largest reserve in Canada, has 5,170 members, of which 4,465 have "non-Aboriginal identity", while 705 have "Aboriginal idenity".

I begin to feel that the Indian Act and the Indian Reserve (called Reservations in the U.S.) system is not much more than a giant scam which allows the members to receive tax-free income and tax-free property status, free housing, free education, free medical and dental care, and other benefits, especially including exemption from zoning and environmental regulations, and even the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Other provinces do not break down their numbers but it seems certain that the situation there and also in the U.S. is equivalent, that is, at least two-thirds of the members have little or no "Aboriginal identity".

This screed is comical for three reasons.

1. Appo still thinks he's a credible source on First Nations issues, despite exposing his tragic ignorance of the subject in post after post, not to mention his admitted personal biases. He also refers to some hearsay version of the "blood quantum" system used in the US, but didn't bother to Google it.

2. He believes he can determine who is a "real Indian" based on some kind of blood test, and that people would fake this because of... :lol: all the BENEFITS :lol: of being First Nations in Canada today. :lol:

So what did we learn from Appo for far: "Most injuns aren't real injuns because they don't have enough injun blood, but even the real injuns got no complaint against the gubbermint because we conquered 'em and they wouldda froze anyhow so the gubbermint can kill as many as they want, and I saw a drunk one on the bus and he didn't even call me SIR and... oops, gotta go. My bus is here!"
Last edited by Ibrahim on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Apollonius wrote:The really big news in Canada this evening is that we have a new leader of the Liberal Party:
Appo got this one right. This actually did happen/is correct. Not really big news, but it does actually have some basis in reality.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Family dynasties in politics is, in my view, a sign of a decline.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Typhoon wrote:Family dynasties in politics is, in my view, a sign of a decline.
Agreed. I'm not into the Trudeau thing for this very reason. Though polling suggests he would win an election if one were held tomorrow.
Heracleum Persicum

ijS9Ks-Urlc
Heracleum Persicum

CSM - involvement unlikely

The history of antagonism between the Iranian government and Al Qaeda makes any state involvement unlikely.

Heracleum Persicum

immigrants make up 20% of population

in 100 years, Canada could be half Chinese

There are 190,000 Iranians in Vancouver :lol: :lol:

BTW, folks, B4 I 4get : “ Use your head when giving it ” :lol: :lol:

What a disaster, what a disaster .. west going down the toilet .. and .. all in the name of modernism, liberal democracy and things of that sort

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:Jack Jedwab, told Postmedia News that the survey’s results contradict “a fundamental idea in multicultural democracies like ours that conflicts between societies can be resolved through dialogue and negotiation.”
The better and most efficient way to have people of different backgrounds and creeds integrated as a coherent national community remains that which served as model for emancipation of Jews in France, which was summed up by Clermont-Tonnerre as follows:
« Everything should be refused to the Jews as a nation, and everything should be given to them as individuals. They should form within the State neither a political body nor an order. They should individually be citizens. »
Il faut tout refuser aux Juifs comme nation et tout accorder aux Juifs comme individus. Il faut qu'ils ne fassent dans l'Etat ni un corps politique ni un ordre. Il faut qu'ils soient individuellement citoyens. »)

Replace "Jews" within the above sentence by the name of any other religion, clan, color, ethnic or other origin... Still works.

As far as "multiculturalism" was and is a way to rest civil bonds over established institutions representing this or that religious or cultural community, multiculturalism was and remains a bad idea. Of course, when people are integrated into the national community as individuals only, they retain the right to organize religions or other cultural institutions... but those religious or cultural institutions are purely private matters, not to be taken as proper representation of any group of citizens in any sense.