Dick Cheney's Heart

This too shall pass.
Simple Minded

Dick Cheney's Heart

Post by Simple Minded »

Interesting to hear some opine about the stupidity of transplaning a 55 year old(?) heart into 71 year old man instead of someone younger...... or the potential corruption of someone rich and connected buying their way into the front of the organ donor line.....

Last stats I recall seeing was Cheney was making $36M a year, donating 25%, and paying who knows how much in taxes.

Now that the health care industry is becoming more politicized, it will be interesting to hear the arguments for who gets what.

Give the scarce supplies to the high tax payer rather than the poor to reduce the govt deficit/benefit society?
Let the wealthy die sooner so you can confiscate 50% of their wealth through the death tax?
Evaluate the potential recipient based on IQ, skill set, genetic potential for disease/health, etc. to determine whether keeping them alive is a societal benefit or a liability?
Allow the healthy, suicidal, or the terminal to sell their organs to the wealthy before they die to benefit their dependents/descendents? If Bill Gates or Warren Buffet wanted to buy a kidney or lung for $1,000,000,000, should that be a private, free market, transaction between two people? Should it be illegal?

Gonna be some interesting discussions....
Torchwood

Re: Dick Cheney's heart

Post by Torchwood »

When I saw the title I assumed heart in the metaphorical, not actual physical sense.

Clearly in that sense it is not applicable to Mr. Cheney
Simple Minded

Re: Dick Cheney's heart

Post by Simple Minded »

Torchwood wrote:When I saw the title I assumed heart in the metaphorical, not actual physical sense.

Clearly in that sense it is not applicable to Mr. Cheney

LOL, good one Torchwood!

I have a similar view of all politicians and activists who seek political power to impose their views of "how life should be" on others regardless of how enlightened they consider themselves to be.

One less enlightened than I.... might use that single statement to "profile" you as "compassionate" or "heartless."

I hope you and your wife are well.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Dick Cheney Change of Heart:Admits Paternity Luke Skywalker

Post by monster_gardener »

Thank you Very Much for the Thread, Simple Minded.

On the radio,

Dick "Darth" Chaney has had a change of heart,

He is now admitting his paternity of Luke Skywalker ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

g1fIH6GMIJg

or was it Mark Hamill ;)
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Simple Minded

Re: Dick Cheney Change of Heart:Admits Paternity Luke Skywal

Post by Simple Minded »

monster_gardener wrote:Thank you Very Much for the Thread, Simple Minded.

On the radio,

Dick "Darth" Chaney has had a change of heart,

He is now admitting his paternity of Luke Skywalker ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

or was it Mark Hamill ;)
Thanks MG :D :D

Kinda sad however how you post a thread trying to get a conversation started on ethics and control in healthcare, and people seem to default to a "I hate that SOB!" level of personal opinion of political celebrities.

Any wonder why more problems can not be solved on the "group level?" Not I.

Talk is cheap, until people put some of their own skin in the game, not much is real to them. Usually best to enjoy political discussions for what they are, and not take anything toooooooo seriously.

To paraphrase Mark Twain: "People...... they're all like that!"

"Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless."
Leo Nikolayevich Tolstoy
Azrael

Re: Dick Cheney's Heart

Post by Azrael »

Perhaps the CIA/Mossad/whatever found a match for him, killed the guy and harvested the heart. That may be why the donor is "anonymous".
cultivate a white rose
Carbizene

Re: Dick Cheney's Heart

Post by Carbizene »

Azrael wrote:Perhaps the CIA/Mossad/whatever found a match for him, killed the guy and harvested the heart. That may be why the donor is "anonymous".
nah..they just transplanted a Black widows heart. :D