Computer Games

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
noddy

Re: Computer Games

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:14 am
noddy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:12 am
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:32 am Did you stick with Cyberpunk 2077?
the mechanics are neither here nor there, the action is barely passable, the rpg elements of managing the inventory and upgrade trees borderline chore like.
So it's the Witcher? :)
never played it, but probably.

they actually just dropped a 1.5 version and its really quite good now, less inventory, the story is nicely seperated from the side missions from the copy n paste time wasters and its still the most amazing thing Ive ever seen on a computer screen.

its above the usual action rpg things like bethesda does or ubisoft does, its much more like a read dead .
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

noddy wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:15 pm
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:14 am
noddy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:12 am
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:32 am Did you stick with Cyberpunk 2077?
the mechanics are neither here nor there, the action is barely passable, the rpg elements of managing the inventory and upgrade trees borderline chore like.
So it's the Witcher? :)
never played it, but probably.

they actually just dropped a 1.5 version and its really quite good now, less inventory, the story is nicely seperated from the side missions from the copy n paste time wasters and its still the most amazing thing Ive ever seen on a computer screen.

its above the usual action rpg things like bethesda does or ubisoft does, its much more like a read dead .
yes, I just meant that after the hype&outrage cycle for the cyberpunk 2077 launch, it is still a CD Projekt game with its particular strengths and weaknesses.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Still haven't touched Age of Empires yet.

We became sidetracked on Subnautica, which was pretty fantastic.

It's a survival game but my understanding is that the world is mostly handcrafted with the random generated stuff being narrowly targeted.

It really pays off as the game really does keep up a sense of discovery and tension.

At the same time it is "Part-Time Job" the game with all the mining, searching and travelling one must do.
NapLajoieonSteroids

oFpHvScLi2c
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:11 am
We became sidetracked on Subnautica, which was pretty fantastic.

It's a survival game but my understanding is that the world is mostly handcrafted with the random generated stuff being narrowly targeted.

It really pays off as the game really does keep up a sense of discovery and tension.

At the same time it is "Part-Time Job" the game with all the mining, searching and travelling one must do.
even yahtzee liked that, so its been on my radar.

havent put any effort into getting because the "survival game" / "Part-Time Job" has left me feeling it needs to be in the $5-10 steam sales and no higher, in case i cant be bothered with it.

--

turns out my new computer gave me a month extension on gamepass, which it is available on, and i have 10 days left to use
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

NapLajoieonSteroids

Subnautica sequel review:

It is much more a streamlined, easier experience from the first game, on top of no longer being surprising. [It started out as DLC for the original game, and I say it plays like it].

That wasn't a bad thing. I think it being shorter was to its benefit.

What wasn't was the tedious narrative and plot they saddled it with.

I don't wish to give anything away; but the first game has you discover the story. This one hits you over the head with unimaginative tropes and sort of ruins an aspect of the 1st one, story wise.
NapLajoieonSteroids

YBD3ExFI9_E
NapLajoieonSteroids

Have been trying to play Bioshock again, just can't get myself into it. I keep picking away extremely slowly at it, five minutes here and there. I'm half-way between wanting to continue and powering through because it was (part of) a bad purchase on my part.

I also thought of just erasing it from the system and re-downloading it at a later date while moving on to something else but then I have to go through the minor headache of making space later on (as we are out of memory on the switch.)

--------------------------

It was a host of bad purchases starting with:

-- Donut Country:

_t_Ns_aAuzI

It sucked, there was no game element there despite having such a fun idea. It didn't even meet our low expectations; half of it was a variation of the same dialogue leading to a "level" and the whole thing (no pun intended) was over within an hour.

-- The Longest Five Minutes:

g3mUaqY0i3E

This one is on me. We wanted to play a simple rpg, and the game is just that. It may or may not be good but a minute into it the missus and I decided that it just was not for us.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Another game on the list:

tYKu7XVoThI

The game is fun and well polished, and it was great that it had coach co-op.

The problem is in the mixing of Zelda with procedurally generated rogue-like elements. Briefly, it wants the adventuring/rpg aspects of Zelda but every cycle is strictly rogue-like, like an "Enter the Gungeon", so it really feels like no progression is being made at all. There are ways to combine the two-- "Rogue Legacy" does it very well-- but after a few cycles of this, because it is neither Zelda or Gungeon, it just gets boring.
NapLajoieonSteroids

That's all the bad, so let me throw out two good ones:

Ape Out

dH6hCAK24Ok

Very simply, you play as apes attempting to escape captivity from a variety of facilities. It is a simple game but was a lot of fun. The stages are divided into A sides and B sides of albums, and once you make it to the end, you unlock a secret level that mixes it up and has you infiltrate and rescue your simian brethren from a facility. (It also has an arcade mode we've not tried).

The 2nd one is the one I'd heartedly recommend for those of you who enjoy puzzles:

Baba Is You

7zLwa4bztWs

One of the more fun puzzle games I've played in a while.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Octodad is trash.

A physics game where the husband is secretly an octopus with a human family and a monomaniacal chef is after him.

The controls are supposed to be hard but like the rest of the game, it is underdeveloped and takes a back seat to the cartoony story.

The whole thing is over within an hour or two and for that it's supposed to be an arty-indie game...I don't think so.
noddy

Post by noddy »

its been a very long time since i bought a game, however i did have a humble bundle subscription running for a few years back when i was cashed up.

this has left me with hundreds of smaller and indie games on my steam account ive never even looked at, let alone played.

I installed northgard - a small RTS game which has the claim to fame of not being clicking speed orientated.

Ive always liked the idea of RTS but couldnt be arsed with the "right things in the right order, as fast as you can" meta of them.

this one has balanced that out nicely, you can only trigger so many things before you get time to work out whats going on, and for now atleast in the campaign, it does seem to let you do things your own way a bit more than some.

its not as complex as most of them too, which is nice - suits my low commitment, hour or so a week attitude to such things.

seems to have a shitload of DLC and expansions, which is a bit crap, but i doubt ill be interested beyond the main campaign - its not *that* interesting, just a pleasant diversion.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

The endless dlc/expansion stuff of northgard put it in the "no" column for me.

The nintendo e-shop has pretty consistent discounts on it, maybe I'll check it out if I get the cash to do so.
NapLajoieonSteroids

We are in mired in Metroid Prime Remastered.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:24 am The endless dlc/expansion stuff of northgard put it in the "no" column for me.

The nintendo e-shop has pretty consistent discounts on it, maybe I'll check it out if I get the cash to do so.
The pc version base game has a main story single player, then each of the factions has another single player campaign so im fairly confident i will be bored of it before the base game runs out.

The switch and mobile versions only have the basic story campaign, so i wouldnt bother.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Then I was write to cross it off the list to begin with.

-----------

As the budget for amusements is sitting at zero; we're really relying on the benevolence of friends and family to pass stuff along.

With the new Zelda coming out and the first Pikmin game in a decade, I think we are pretty set for the year
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Tax Heaven 3000. A dating sim that does your taxes.

https://youtu.be/QO7kBVOEp_A
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
NapLajoieonSteroids

This is the current top five:

NapLajoieonSteroids

Ground+air dropship attack drones taking out a nest of goblins armed with a few sticks and bows (maybe one of the sticks has a rock fastened to it)

Typhoon

Computer Game for Gals

Post by Typhoon »

I don't play video games.

Perhaps I should, as the mental involvement is probably much higher than watching a movie on the internet.

Anyways, a friend told me about a multiplayer game that is specifically designed with women in mind.

June's Journey

https://twitter.com/junesjourney

Apparently his wife can play it for hours with her team of women from around the world.

After he described it to me, and thinking about the kinds of games that appeal to men,

I said, "The biology of hunters vs gatherers". Got a big laugh out of him.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Computer Game for Gals

Typhoon wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:05 am I don't play video games.

Perhaps I should, as the mental involvement is probably much higher than watching a movie on the internet.

If you ever do, may I suggest the puzzle game Baba is You

https://youtu.be/lIWCgholN_E

lIWCgholN_E
NapLajoieonSteroids

A month into Tears of the Kingdom.

We've gotten nowhere so far, and we are loving it.

It's not quite a sequel (as advertised) and not quite an expansion of Breath of the Wild,

much like the original Zelda famously came with a 1st and 2nd quest, this feels like the 2nd quest. Plays totally differently from the 1st, same map but all locations changed; tougher combat...
NapLajoieonSteroids

Pikmin 4- ultimately disappointing compared to the game from a decade ago. There is a problem of over-engineering to simplify an already very simplified puzzle/real time strategy game into something for a broad adventuring crowd.

The worst aspect is that the charmless characters never shut up-- and now they are dozens of them. The original game had one astronaut who'd write journal entries as bookend to days. The sequel had two astronauts; the third one three astronauts who end up rescuing the two from the previous game. Five in all. While some found 3 too talkative, I thought it was relatively short in the spirit of the first one, quick segues between game days.

This game starts off with rescuing the "rescue team"-- seven people in all-- who yap away between days, during the days, at the camp site as your preparing, if you find anything interesting. There's a cutscene very early on which ends, you take three steps with the character to start the next one.

Then they try to encourage the player to talk to them more; and that's when the game opens up and you need to rescue 40+ other people who all talk too.

It's a nightmare in space.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Pikmin Hasn't Sold Well Because Players Find It Too Difficult, Says Miyamoto
Shigeru Miyamoto reflects on the relatively poorer sales of the Pikmin series, at least when compared to other Nintendo properties. Speaking as the most recent instalment, Pikmin 4, launches on Switch, Miyamoto suggests that previous titles haven't sold as well as hoped because Nintendo's audience finds them too difficult. Miyamoto hypothesises that much of this difficulty stems from the fact that it's easy for Pikmin to die, but defends the decision to include this anyway, saying that this "relationship with mortality" is key to Pikmin's message. He also shares that the controls may have been too complicated in previous games, something he had hoped to address in this long-awaited sequel. “There have been three games in the series until now, from Pikmin to Pikmin 3," says Miyamoto, speaking ahead of Pikmin 4's launch (thanks, VGC). "Personally I’ve always wondered, ‘Why haven’t they exploded more in sales even though they’re so much fun to play? Why do people think they’re so difficult?’

"I get that people find it more difficult when death is a factor. But I think the franchise's strength lies in its relationship with mortality. If something is irreversible, you need to figure out a way to prevent undesired things from happening." Despite the constant threat of death hanging over the players in Pikmin, Miyamoto cites the controls as one of the more major issues. "I think people find Pikmin difficult for two reasons: the controls and the depth of gameplay. I spent a long time mulling over how we could convey these points as 'interesting' rather than 'difficult'." "The first game provided a deeper challenge, while the second game was broader in terms of content, and we went back to something closer to the first one in Pikmin 3," he explains. "But after thinking about it, I realized that we could do both."
I can understand most of the changes-- frankly, selling it as an adventure with cute animals and people and a dog as a partner is a better sales point than as a lite-rts with a good amount of death on a console. The missus likes Pikmin 4 after not really getting the appeal. And last I checked, the new one has just about tripled the sales of the game, if the Japanese numbers are anything to go by.

What was most disappointing to me was making it so that instead of having a separate campaign mode, challenge mode and vs mode; the game rolls it all into the main story (with a new addition of what amounts to a tower defense mode). It makes the whole thing feel like a series of mini games set in the Pikmin world. It's still a cute world but its nature is no longer red in tooth and claw. I guess marching the player through the different modes was supposed to be the transition from having a "difficult" game to an "interesting" one.