Philosophy selectors and tests

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Azrael

Philosophy selectors and tests

Post by Azrael »

Choose your favorite meta-physician -- got Kant on this. Also scored high on Heidegger.

Ethical Philosophy selector -- also got Kant on this one.
cultivate a white rose
Juggernaut Nihilism

Re: Philosophy selectors and tests

Post by Juggernaut Nihilism »

My favorite metaphysician was Plato, but this is called into question by the fact that my number two was Heidegger.

My top ethical philosopher was Nietzsche, with no one else within 19% (next was the Stoics at 81%), but I wasn't really committed to most of my answers on that quiz because none of them gave the emphasis to the legitimate social aspect of morality that I would.
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Taboo

Post by Taboo »

Meta: John Stuart Mill, followed by William of Ockham;

Moral: Ayn Rand(!), followed by Hume;
Juggernaut Nihilism

Post by Juggernaut Nihilism »

I had only 2% on William of Ockham.
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
noddy

Post by noddy »

meta:

100% William James then 80% A. J. Ayer, Democritus, John Stuart Mill

moral:

100% Stoic then 92% John Stuart Mill

james and ayer surprised me, the rest didnt.

looking into these, they seem to be syncretic loons so maybe thats not so surprising after all except i dont seem to agree that much with james (despite my 100%)
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Interesting, questions seem exceedly vague and meaninglless (which I guess is the point, let the taker decide the meaning of words....) Like an IQ test, hard to take the results seriously. Reminds me of the Luscher color test, very mood dependent.

http://www.colorquiz.com/quiz.php

noddy test results don't surprise me. Still waiting for the essay on indifference...... nah... not really...... ;)

first test taken twice
Mill - 100% - 75%
Leibniz - 80% - 100%
Aquinas - 80% - 88%
James - 80% - 63%
Descartes - 0% - 63%

second test taken once
Hobbs - 100%
Cynics - 90%
Nietzsche - 78%
Stoics - 77%
Rand - 63%
noddy

Post by noddy »

Still waiting for the essay on indifference...... nah... not really......
im fully indulging in the subject matter as a way of honing the critical concepts :P
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
im fully indulging in the subject matter as a way of honing the critical concepts :P
the quest for perfection is often the enemy of accomplishment......
Enki

Post by Enki »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:
the quest for perfection is often the enemy of accomplishment......
I think he is working very hard on this one.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Wm of Ockham 100%

Thomas Aquinas 100%
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Farcus

seeems consistent

Post by Farcus »

Meta: Mill 100% [Very coarse results matrix]

Moral:
Hume 100%
Nietzsche 95%
Jnalum Persicum

Post by Jnalum Persicum »

I really don't know where this belongs

Gandhi.jpg
Gandhi.jpg (29.01 KiB) Viewed 1314 times

Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Jnalum Persicum wrote:.

Gandhi.jpg

Stuck to a refrigerator with a small magnet, in a trailer in a trailer court near the freeway.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Gandhi.jpg
Right here is as good a place as any . . thanks for posting it. Gandhi was a great man and likely left a larger footprint on history than any philosopher.
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Marcus wrote:

Gandhi.jpg
Right here is as good a place as any . . thanks for posting it. Gandhi was a great man and likely left a larger footprint on history than any philosopher.

Don't tell that to Karl Marx.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Metaphysics: J.S. Mill 100%, Heidegger (pleased to say) 0%. 5 of my top 7 are Brits, 1 is French, and the other American. Oh dear, how parochial, and betrays the soul of an economist.

Ethical: Aquinas, surprisingly.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Kenny Rogers as a Philosopher vs. Gandhi--Calling Ibrahim!..

Post by monster_gardener »

Gandhi.jpg

Thank You Very Much for your post, Azari.

This should also be added to the Gandhi quote........
When confronted by Nazis, commit suicide/let them kill you without resistance......
I prefer Kenny Rogers as a philosopher to Gandhi....

Greater survivability...... *

l8bJOwbILts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8bJOwbILts

a bit updated........

Know when to hold them
Know when to fold them
Know when to walk away ***
Know when to run ***
Know when to pull,
Know when to use
A gun........

*Gandhi was a jerk who got lucky and even that didn't last.......

Don't depend on his "philosophy" unless you are in the British Raj or maybe Southern Uz and the cameras are rolling.......
In Great Soul: Mahatma Gandhi and His Struggle With India, Joseph Lelyveld, a former executive editor of the New York Times, recalls Gandhi's relationship with a well-to-do German-Jewish architect, Hermann Kallenbach. Though Lelyveld himself does not explicitly assert a sexual angle, the British historian Andrew Roberts, in a cutting review in the Wall Street Journal, concludes on the basis of the book's evidence that Gandhi was not only "a sexual weirdo," and in more ways than one, but also "a political incompetent and a fanatical faddist." ..............

Gandhi's imaginary support for black Africans. In truth, during the 21 years he lived in Africa, Gandhi was far from sympathetic toward black liberation. Instead, he became an indispensable intermediary between South Africa's Muslim Indian business elite and the segregationist authorities. A proponent of race purity, he complained that "the Indian [was] being dragged down to the position of the raw Kaffir [black African]." ** It was, incidentally, during this period that Gandhi left his wife to live with Kallenbach.

Later, back in India, the saint of the underdog went on his first hunger strike to oppose granting political representation in the Indian parliament to low-caste "untouchables." Whatever heroic stature he may now hold in the eyes of Palestinian Muslims, his inept handling of relations with Muhammad Ali Jinnah, who became Pakistan's first leader, helped set the stage for the break-up of the Indian subcontinent into warring Hindu and Muslim states.

When it came to Jews, Gandhi was, to put it delicately, selective. In South Africa, he valued Sonja Schlesin, his loyal secretary, and Henry Polak, his close friend and right-hand man. "My sympathies," he wrote in late November 1938 after Kristallnacht, "are with the Jews." No doubt this was true—in a peculiar sense. He was sympathetic with Jewish suffering, but highly unsympathetic with any efforts to alleviate it by means of positive action. In 1937 and again in 1939, Kallenbach visited Gandhi in India endeavoring to elicit his support for the Zionist enterprise—to no avail.

Gandhi acknowledged that the Nazi persecution of the Jews had no parallel in history. Nevertheless, his resolute counsel to Jews facing the Nazi onslaught was non-violent civil disobedience—and forgiveness. As for Zionism, he remained equally resolute in opposition: "The cry for a national home for the Jews does not make much appeal to me." Why couldn't the Jews think of Palestine as a kind of biblical metaphor and let it go at that? If Jews must settle in Palestine, he advised, they should do so only at Arab sufferance, and if worse came to worst, they should allow themselves to be "thrown into the Dead Sea." Even after the destruction of European Jewry and a litany of Arab atrocities in Palestine, Gandhi held firm: the Jews must practice non-violence.

No doubt, Gandhi was a complicated historical figure. Yet if anything about him is straightforward, it is that he was not the liberal humanist whom many in the American civil-rights and "peace" movements have imagined him to be. He was no friend of Africa, and held no love whatsoever for the Jewish national movement. In the stark judgment of the historian Paul Johnson, his teachings did not even have much relevance to the problems of India.
http://www.jewishideasdaily.com/857/fea ... -the-jews/

** Calling on Ibrahim to join me in denouncing Gandhi as a RACIST!!!! ;) :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*** Past time to walk away from this planet and set up sustainable colonies in Outer Space before we have to run to the doubtful safety of the Southern Hemisphere......
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

On metaphysics: Spinoza, John Stuart Mill and Thomas Aquina, all at 100% ( how can that be :shock: )

On ethics: John Stuart Mill, only one at 100%

I defitnitly need to read on that John S. Mill guy... :mrgreen:
Crocus sativus

Post by Crocus sativus »

Illuminationism

Suhrawardi's metaphysics is based on two principles. The first is a form of the principle of sufficient reason. The second principle is Aristotle's principle that an actual infinity is impossible.

Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

if you answer no preference on all of the questions it gives you 100% for all philosophers. What a load of Zizek :mrgreen:
Been busy doing stuff
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Hoosiernorm wrote:if you answer no preference on all of the questions it gives you 100% for all philosophers. What a load of Zizek :mrgreen:
That's because, like philosophy itself, it works mainly by subtraction. You should have answered "no" to some of the questions.
cultivate a white rose
Enki

Post by Enki »

Crocus sativus wrote:.

Illuminationism

Suhrawardi's metaphysics is based on two principles. The first is a form of the principle of sufficient reason. The second principle is Aristotle's principle that an actual infinity is impossible.

Finity is impossible. Infinity is what is. Finity is merely the modeling of the infinite which has not size or shape until it is measured and defined.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Enki wrote:
Crocus sativus wrote:.

Illuminationism

Finity is impossible. Infinity is what is. Finity is merely the modeling of the infinite which has not size or shape until it is measured and defined.

Math is a great tool to consider infinities and finite series and infinitessimals and limits. Mostly because math starts with a good assumption, and tries to test it. Then it develops a definition. Then it enforces it.

You can soften it up until it's gummy and fits in your navel if you want, but the mathematics police are everywhere, and that's the first place they look...