Musicology | Love 'em, Hate 'em

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
noddy

Re: Musicology | Love 'em, Hate 'em

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:20 am
Were there guys going to Oscar Peterson shows saying afterwards, "The band was really good, but this guy at the piano just sucked all the attention away towards himself." :)
Ive done that watching his clips :P

the free form speed playing gets a bit much , its always refreshing when the bass and drums kicks back in.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Tommy Emanuel and Molly Tuttle showing off and pretending its a lesson was kind of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMyITAxbe30
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Hah, it is a bit much with Oscar. Art Tatum is still the only one who doesn't exhaust my ear when running about.

But that's why it's Art Tatum and then everyone else.

Oscar Peterson on Art Tatum

And another example of a guy who people thought were two pianists when first hearing his recordings; who often played solo because it was hard for accompanists to follow and find their own space.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Bernie Worrel is a great and someone who slipped my mind.

A perfect example of the pianist as modern arranger/producer in bands.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:40 am
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:36 am
noddy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:07 am
yahama dx7 - that was the first cheap polyphonic synth for the masses back in my day
Manufactured between 1983-1989; 16 voice polyphony.

That's wild.
https://analog-and-digital-synthesizers ... Yamaha_DX7

its pretty much the entire 80;s sound now I look into it.

I only remembered it because our keyboardist used one.
I know people love the old synths and one can do some silly things with them.

I just don't think they sound all that great. I say that as a "anything at hand is fine" kinda guy.

People try to chit-chat about these like their old guitars or rhodes or something. They are digital workstations that every toy pocket calculator outpaces nowadays.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:42 am
I know people love the old synths and one can do some silly things with them.

I just don't think they sound all that great. I say that as a "anything at hand is fine" kinda guy.

People try to chit-chat about these like their old guitars or rhodes or something. They are digital workstations that every toy pocket calculator outpaces nowadays.
thats the good thing about digital synths - they are just algorithms, so the emulation can be near perfect.

https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/

their are some vaguely nice sounds in it all, or maybe its nostalgia , organs and other sine wave type things are fine to me.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

No, I don't think it's nostalgia. There are nice sounds but as you point out, they can be emulated elsewhere already.

Why spend $1000 on a used keyboard?
noddy

Post by noddy »

Middle aged man nostalgia and discretionary spending.

Cant get your 80's band vibe right without the correct gear.

Possibly less absurd than the $10k plus guitars which dont sound any different to the 1k ones
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Yes. :)

Or the $100 thousand dollar studio vs the ten thousand dollar one.

---------

Pat Smear, nearly 40 years as a guitarist in bands before he actually owned a guitar.
noddy

Post by noddy »

old man shouts at cloud meme goes here.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Should be young men shouting at clouds.

I'd like to see what percentage of that was played in commercial spaces, dentist offices, chain restaurants, etc.

---------------

I've met plenty of Coldplay fans, throughout the years. Maroon 5 has had 20 years of hit songs, so that's not surprising.

Queen, Beatles, Artic Monkeys, RHCP, Linkin Park are known quantities.

I've never heard One Republic and Twenty One Pilots outside of malls. And Imagine Dragons outside of commercials. I don't know where this audience is.

----------------

The way I remember it, One Republic's claim to fame that the producer Timbaland was going to make a "rock record" and this was the band he used or assembled to do it.

Then the single was astroturfed everywhere on the strength of Timbaland's name but that it actually didn't get traction.

Seemed like the story of an artist too big for his britches losing focus of what he's good at; in hindsight, it probably was a test run by Universal Music Group in manufacturing rock using hip-hop production and marketing. Who else to get for the job then the guy then at his zenith of consistent hit making?
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh, makes sense.

Caravan, 3 ways.

Tatum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApuTuVTNbik
Peterson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ye6b7omO8
Monk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb9SXfvgikA

Monk was always my pick for a jazz pianist, I like the strong phrasing and rythym and the wobbling between dissonance and consonance.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

I went down the rabbit hole.

1st- another Mormon band who makes it big out of Brigham Young university with ties to Las Vegas.

2nd- they have Alex da Kid as producer, whose worked with other acts like Eminem, Dr. Dre, Sean Combs and Nicki Minaj. "da Kid" was a professional footballer who became a producer whose signature sound is hip-hop which doesn't sound like hip-hop.

3rd- I don't know how much raggaeton has crossed over to the Australian market; wiki tells me it's quite popular there. Well, think about Daddy Yankee's Gasolina and place Imagine Dragons next to it.

Perfect for clubs, has some vague elements of old styles with all the subtlety wrenched out...to get to the point, white man reggaeton produced by people connected to a church spending a lot of time and effort on missionary work in the exact places raggaeton is big.

And looking at the metrics, what do you know it? The Imagine Dragons audience is heavily Latino. :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

One Republic and Twenty One Pilots and Imagine Dragons

I tried listening to all 3 and boy is it bland and innocuous.

vaguely christian youth group, vaguely advertising jingles.

"not that their is anythign wrong with that (tm)"
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Jethro Tull- Song For Jeffrey (1968)

during the brief period that Tony Iommi left a nascent Black Sabbath and joined Jethro Tull
"...Tony told Ian that he wouldn’t be joining Tull. I told him he was mad, but he was adamant. That was Tony, always his own man. When Tony told his mom, she went nuts: “You what? Join that band, you silly bleeder!” She thought he was throwing away his chance at stardom. Tony did have a change of heart and asked Ian for another chance, but Ian already had someone else in mind. So after one appearance with Tull a week or so later, in The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus, he came back to Earth."

Butler, Geezer. Into the Void (p. 57). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.
NapLajoieonSteroids

People crap on these groups more than deserved but I think it highlights that it just seemed astroturfed that they were suddenly chart topping and full blown commercial entities, outta nowhere. Then when people started questioning why they were everywhere, all at once, they all disappeared overnight.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:19 am People crap on these groups more than deserved
its an interesting thing how visceral our reaction to music is - im as guilty of over condeming random acts for the crime of existing as the worst teenage pop music stan, without blinking

well, maybe not quite that bad but Its still offhand abuse

none of the poor bastards deserve 1/10th of what they get for doing their best to entertain other folks.

behind all that, music is a direct tap into our mood, our movement, our soul? .. i can literally move my state of mind around with music as easily I can with any drug, its very powerful indeed.

so music which triggers disliked emotions, gets the fuill blast of that response.

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:19 am but I think it highlights that it just seemed astroturfed that they were suddenly chart topping and full blown commercial entities, outta nowhere. Then when people started questioning why they were everywhere, all at once, they all disappeared overnight.
yeh, its very hard to see any of that lot doing the sunday evening slot at the local bar/pub/venue and having a real scene with real fans in it.

thern again, as we have mentioned before, compared to the 90's those real scenes are far fewer and harder to find.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:39 am Jethro Tull- Song For Jeffrey (1968)

during the brief period that Tony Iommi left a nascent Black Sabbath and joined Jethro Tull
"...Tony told Ian that he wouldn’t be joining Tull. I told him he was mad, but he was adamant. That was Tony, always his own man. When Tony told his mom, she went nuts: “You what? Join that band, you silly bleeder!” She thought he was throwing away his chance at stardom. Tony did have a change of heart and asked Ian for another chance, but Ian already had someone else in mind. So after one appearance with Tull a week or so later, in The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus, he came back to Earth."

hah, lets get the king of the metal riff to play quirky little clean rythym guitar parts.

classic bit of history there.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:41 am
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:39 am Jethro Tull- Song For Jeffrey (1968)

hah, lets get the king of the metal riff to play quirky little clean rythym guitar parts.

classic bit of history there.
:)

Looking into it a bit farther, it was a prerecorded performance because the young Jethro Tull was a late addition to the show so it allowed for more mugging and theatrics. It only makes how uncomfortable Iommi is stand out more.

He says that his biggest problem was strict 8 or 9 AM practices Ian Anderson insisted upon. But the amount of practice and discipline was also a wake up call to him that Earth/Black Sabbath wasn't going to get anywhere unless they got a bit disciplined about it too.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:37 pm
I've been looking for examples of rock after 1970 where a piano/keyboardist and guitarist are really working together in sync.
Dream Theater
Yt | The Load Out, Stay | Jackson Browne

Taking liberties and going back further,

Yt | Let's Spend the Night Together | Rolling Stones

As always, the old blues men show how it's done

Yt | Rock with Me | John Lee Hooker

A few bands took notes . . .

Yt | Roadhouse Blues | The Doors
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:36 am
yeh, its very hard to see any of that lot doing the sunday evening slot at the local bar/pub/venue and having a real scene with real fans in it.

thern again, as we have mentioned before, compared to the 90's those real scenes are far fewer and harder to find.
Yep. I've no problem with booing and jeering and hecklin', even from great internet distances.

Something just doesn't quite add up here. I'm trying to say that I'm sure there are people who like these groups plenty but I can't trace it like other acts on that list.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Speaking of those Mormon bands; Mr.Brightside by the Killers is still one of the most popular songs in the world. Seen a lot of retrospectives on it lately, especially since it's reached that stadium anthem point.

For me, I've preferred this one
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:41 am
noddy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:36 am

Yep. I've no problem with booing and jeering and hecklin', even from great internet distances.

Something just doesn't quite add up here. I'm trying to say that I'm sure there are people who like these groups plenty but I can't trace it like other acts on that list.
they are a bit like movies like Avatar.

the things which leave no cultural imprtint, they happen, they are popular enough for their moment, but their is nothing in them that is meaty enough for future generations to fall in love with.

very different to those bands that keep on trucking for decades and decades.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Avidtah slander! :)

It's a good point. Using the same material though, one could argue its a capstone of blockbuster movie maker James Cameron, who created the highest grossing movie franchise in history (with a decade between entries) and forced almost every theater to adopt 3d capable screening rooms/cameras/etc on the back of intentional story/acting slop.

What's the backend on this deal? Do sales of jeans go up and down with these guys or what?