The U.K.

NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: The U.K.

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

noddy wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:24 am
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:22 am
noddy wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:18 am Personally, I still think all those groups are ahead of the curve, not behind it.

In aus they are mostly found in the north east and while they never get the booms or the high living, they never notice the downturns and the busts either.

for the next few decades thats going to be the best place to be I fear.
Wait, which groups? The Aborigines, Indians and Englishmen?
the aborigines and the first draft of northern englishmen which became bogans :)

indians and chinese are full steam ahead on the mega urban thing, they like a life in walking distance, especially the chinese
The natives here are not doing well, and that's on the scale they've been on since we put'em on the reservations.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Within the limitations of generalisations.

the furthur south you go in australia, the more europeans settled in large numbers and the worse the natives do.

many of the tropical aborigines are doing great, some not so much due to alcohol and whatnot, the southern ones are very dispossessed and living in things akin to reservations, or public housing.

None of them have shown a particular affinity to playing passive aggresive games in office cubicles but the tropical lifestyle is much friendlier to old school living than the arid climate that needs huge tracts of nomadic ranging.

south east asia and northern australia, plenty of folks living on nearly no money but living quite well on fish, fruit and small scale vege patches.

maybe florida has pockets of that going on.
Last edited by noddy on Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:37 am maybe florida has pockets of that going on.
Hence all the Florida Man sightings

========================================

I see the point but bringing this back around, the question is the economic feasibility of a UK-No EU model. The million tangents suggest to me that it's a yes and no answer. Or maybe a yes but answer.

And the caveat, as far as I can see, is if they can jolt the non-London sections a bit...not necessarily shape or manipulate them, but make some space for them.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

wouldnt want to overstate it tho, the carrying capacity for that kind of living is pretty much what it is currently - scattered thousands that maybe add up to something less than 100 thousand.

in my area all the long term squatters sheds for guys living the fishing and part time work lifestyle got bulldozed, cant have folks paying 1/2 a million for small plots of land up the road with that malarky going on.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:55 am
I see the point but bringing this back around, the question is the economic feasibility of a UK-No EU model. The million tangents suggest to me that it's a yes and no answer. Or maybe a yes but answer.

And the caveat, as far as I can see, is if they can jolt the non-London sections a bit...not necessarily shape or manipulate them, but make some space for them.
Well, the childishness of the European model makes all points moot to my sensible side.

surely folks can agree or disagree to various trade agreements like all democratic allies do, why does it have to be an all or nothing reduction of local democracy.

having said that - reality makes for ugly decisions, my country is all in with China, not because anyone wants to, but because we dont have much choice.

America, Australia, the rest of the anglosphere is too far and too globalised to be of any practical use for England, we dont want anything they make and they dont need anything we sell.

I would have kept fighting for the issues I wanted to keep localised and left the larger agreement in place, in perfect world of nuanced outcomes.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:26 am
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:55 am

Well, the childishness of the European model makes all points moot to my sensible side.

surely folks can agree or disagree to various trade agreements like all democratic allies do, why does it have to be an all or nothing reduction of local democracy.

having said that - reality makes for ugly decisions, my country is all in with China, not because anyone wants to, but because we dont have much choice.

America, Australia, the rest of the anglosphere is too far and too globalised to be of any practical use for England, we dont want anything they make and they dont need anything we sell.

I would have kept fighting for the issues I wanted to keep localised and left the larger agreement in place, in perfect world of nuanced outcomes.
Well...what value is ol'England (non-London edition) to the US as a nice big military launching pad/Hobbit tourist trap? Maybe instead of aiming to buy just Greenland we can swing a few quid the Queen's way and re-name it East Virginia or Cracker Guam. :D

=================

All kidding aside, I don't disagree with the above.

From the peanut gallery, being in or out of the EU isn't the problem that deciding which to be is.

However, when A Liverpool or York or Manchester is 60% government directed jobs, and being out of the EU is going to hurt those the most, it's a sink or swim sort of proposition.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:00 am
my intended point was they are all equally indifferent to the plans of others and the goals of middle class modernity.
right, wrong, right, left, up, down and sideways, they dont give a lavender how you are going to train them to not be themselves.

this makes the government options quite limited.
You just stated the big myth that some over here just can't see.

The govt's ability to influence culture is very limited. No where near as effective as peer pressure.

Admitting this would go against a lot of people's religions on both sides of the aisle.

The following trademarked protest banners are available in our gift store:

Item # 27 - "WHAT DO WE WANT? MAGIC! WHEN DO WE WANT IT? NOW!"

Item # 32 - "NO MAGIC, NO PEACE! NO MAGIC, NO PEACE!"

Item # 41 - "LEAVE ME ALONE! JUST FIX THEM!" *

* - currently avalible only in bumper sticker format.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:10 pm
noddy wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:00 am
my intended point was they are all equally indifferent to the plans of others and the goals of middle class modernity.
right, wrong, right, left, up, down and sideways, they dont give a lavender how you are going to train them to not be themselves.

this makes the government options quite limited.
You just stated the big myth that some over here just can't see.

The govt's ability to influence culture is very limited. No where near as effective as peer pressure.
I'm not sure if that's true. We have plenty of examples which would suggest otherwise. And it assumes that government involve is not tied to peer pressure.

An opposite case can be made- government can fully bully when it well chooses to, and when it fully has its mind towards some goal it generally gets it. It just moves incredibly slowly, or incredibly hard to move.

If it weren't the case, so much energy wouldn't go into safeguard everyone from total majority rule-- something of which everyone is fearful.
noddy

Post by noddy »

the nebulous part of that is "other" peoples government doesnt have much impact, beyond the enforced punishments.

"our" government has huge impact and can control the tiniest details of our lives.

which is the story of the EU project, but also the story of Great Britain.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

You guys are right. I forgot about potential effects of OSHA rules and various safety regulations.

Govt says you gotta use paper bed sheets (for your own safety).
You're unfamiliar with how they work.
One day you're making your bed, and you lose your balance.
Next thing you know you end up dead and on the six o-clock news.....
Then when you add in the potential paper cuts......

both could seriously impact your lifestyle.
noddy

Post by noddy »

happens all the time, it can even break your neck.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:16 am happens all the time, it can even break your neck.
yep. where are all the wokesters proselytizing about the need for National Common Sense Paper Bedsheet Control Laws?
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I really enjoyed this video a lot.

6XlwVS1h1AI
Censorship isn't necessary
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

f2zJ8vaB5jo
Catchy little tune.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Socialized Medicine at work:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... rus-tests/
NHS workers forced to pay for private coronavirus tests

Worried NHS staff are paying out of their own pockets for private coronavirus tests after waiting in vain to be tested for free.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson moved to intensive care as symptoms worsen
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Dayum....... this gonna hurt:

HUGE: The UK Just Dumped China's Huawei in 5G Tech Roll Out - Citing its Lies Over Coronavirus.

Western democracies, especially the United States, just heaved a huge sigh of relief after getting word that United Kingdom PM Boris Johnson is dropping the controversial Chinese tech company, Huawei, as the nation's provider of 5G infrastructure

As if they forgot how BoJo spent his last couple weeks....'>.......
Earlier this week, Huawei, detecting a change of heart by the Brits due to anger over the coronavirus, sent a threatening letter to Johnson. Huawei's UK chief Victor Zhang told British leaders that pulling up stakes now would leave Britain in the "digital slow lane."
https://pjmedia.com/trending/huge-the-u ... ronavirus/
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
NapLajoieonSteroids

NapLajoieonSteroids

(karma is not solely aimed at the brits...points this way too-- remembering Donald Rumsfield selling Iraqi looting as a good thing.)
YMix

Post by YMix »

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Ministers are poised to treble the number of foreign workers allowed into the UK to pick fruit and vegetables, to ease fears of rotting harvests as a result of Brexit.

In a major concession to worried farmers, 30,000 temporary staff will be given permits in 2021, up from 10,000 this year, under a document circulated for an announcement due next week.

The move comes despite the Home Office dismissing warnings that stricter post-Brexit immigration rules would leave crops unpicked, and insisting that domestic workers would plug the gap.

The National Farmers’ Union (NFU) had attacked that stance, with the free movement of EU citizens due to stop when the transition period ends on 31 December.

The union pointed to how the government’s high-profile Pick For Britain campaign – launched when the Covid-19 pandemic prevented EU workers coming over for the summer – had failed to attract British replacements.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 75742.html
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Although the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 mRNA vaccine was developed in Germany, the UK was the first to deploy it, followed by the USA and Canada, whereas the EU authority is still debating the vaccine's approval while criticizing the UK.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Colonel Sun wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:26 pm Although the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 mRNA vaccine was developed in Germany, the UK was the first to deploy it, followed by the USA and Canada, whereas the EU authority is still debating the vaccine's approval while criticizing the UK.
Probably because the EU is concerned about equal access, affordability and safety. If the vaccines prove unreliable or harmful, that would be a heavy blow to trust in the European Union.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:55 pm
Ministers are poised to treble the number of foreign workers allowed into the UK to pick fruit and vegetables, to ease fears of rotting harvests as a result of Brexit.

In a major concession to worried farmers, 30,000 temporary staff will be given permits in 2021, up from 10,000 this year, under a document circulated for an announcement due next week.

The move comes despite the Home Office dismissing warnings that stricter post-Brexit immigration rules would leave crops unpicked, and insisting that domestic workers would plug the gap.

The National Farmers’ Union (NFU) had attacked that stance, with the free movement of EU citizens due to stop when the transition period ends on 31 December.

The union pointed to how the government’s high-profile Pick For Britain campaign – launched when the Covid-19 pandemic prevented EU workers coming over for the summer – had failed to attract British replacements.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 75742.html
Anyone wanna take a bet that the number of political officials in the UK that are debating how many migrant fruit pickers are needed, exceeds the number of migrant fruit pickers?

Institute a program that after 1,000 hours of fruit picking, one is awarded a PhD in Social Justice or Knighted. Society's best will flood the fields. Problem solved.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:26 pm Although the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 mRNA vaccine was developed in Germany, the UK was the first to deploy it, followed by the USA and Canada, whereas the EU authority is still debating the vaccine's approval while criticizing the UK.
"Our Diversity is our Strength!" Cough, cough, hack, sneeze.....