Greece

Simple Minded

Re: Greece

Post by Simple Minded »

Endovelico wrote:
noddy wrote: Consistency is "our" strong suit...

doubly so when all of endo's prescriptions require society to organise itself in a way that makes everyone useful and respected, with all people are invested in fairly.

*that* takes a lot of oppression to make happen, our natural way is much less altruistic.
You may very well be right but it would be easier if we made it very hard to accumulate large fortunes. Maybe a small dose of oppression might be acceptable in order to achieve that...
Oppressors always say shite like this. "Our noble ends will justify the short term sacrifices.... etc........."

Or in the old westerns: "the man needed killing!"

given enough weaponry, and the brutality to use them..... utopia is attainable. At least on a temporary basis.

Sometimes the outcome is determined more by who grabs the gun first, rather than ideological differences or moral superiority. ;)
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:We're just trying to ignore the fact the nature of capital and labor have changed, and that graft has conquered justice and representative government is a fiction.

Laissez-faire capitalism has failed and the system needs to reworked. Maybe social credit (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_credit), maybe a minimum guaranteed income or something else. I dunno, but the current system has completely degenerated.
I think the current system is degenerating mainly because of only a few bad tweaks with huge consequences that were introduced in the recent past in the financial system in combination with the usual political shadow games. Faltering small elements can wreck a ship in no time.

"Laissez-fair capitalism" is an empty phrase to me. There never was or is a laissez-fair of anything; just changing circumstances and rules. The current rules of capitalism are very much non-laissez-fair; they are designed, set and controlled by the usual oligarchs and all those who benefit from it to serve their own interests. Also the idea that interest rates are the evil force of it all is empty phraseology.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

YMix wrote:
Parodite wrote:You scepticons :P on basic income, a question.

How much would you need/month as an absolute minimum to have a roof over your head, buy basic food and have your health care covered on an absolute minimum level?
The absolute minimum depends on the cost of living.
Of course.
The better question is how to prevent a race between the minimum income and consumer prices.
Explain?
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Simple Minded wrote:Not a bad assessment Parodite. Welcome back BTW.
Thanks Bro :)
But before we can propose benefits, we have to determine how much extra milk each cow in our heard is willing to pay each day "for the good of society." "We," the brain trust at OTNOT, still have not defined "fair."
It is a democratic process and discussion before during after. So maybe "we" (not "us" on OTNOT) may come to a consensus or a majority vote. Business as usual? ;)
And then there are the endless rules that may need to be created. If Euro Fred (EF) decides to spend his 500 euros/month on cocaine, rather than food and shelter, what to do? Put him in govt care with forced feeding? Leave him in the street?
One of the good things of a basic income via the tax system is that it requires much less rules. An enormous forest of bureaucratic overhead can be torched and burned to the ground. I would start a vineyard in its place. There will always be Freds who decide to do stupid things no matter what. As a libertarian I don't want to take away that right from anybody.
At some point, "society" may decide that EF is a danger to himself, or a detriment to "their" neighborhood.
If he is adanger to himself alone.. too bad for him. If he is a danger also to others we need police, laws, courts, law enforcement. What's new, what's is the point? :?
So many nuances, so few who are "aware." Coolest part about ideology is there is no cost. Implementation runs face first into the glass door of reality and gets ugly.
Indeed. It always is trial and error. Learning is part of the process. Or not learning and be miserable.
No shock that you have people focused on their own self-interests (milking the system), in the Netherlands, but Hillbillies? Really? Wouldn't that require hills? ;)
:D Here it's neither up-hill nor down-hill... I guess. :(
YMix

Post by YMix »

Parodite wrote:Explain?
If governments introduce the minimum income and all poor people get some money, retailers/utilities companies could "adjust" (read: increase) their prices over time and end up negating the minimum income.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

YMix wrote:
Parodite wrote:Explain?
If governments introduce the minimum income and all poor people get some money, retailers/utilities companies could "adjust" (read: increase) their prices over time and end up negating the minimum income.
But retailers/utility companies set their prices not just on lowest level income consumers. They compete for the comsumers who have most to spend and how many come in to their shops to buy something. So that has to be some averaged number. And then they still compete among each other by trying to have the best price/quality ratio.

The danger of whipped up prices comes maybe more from cartels and monopolies. Some oligurck who owns all the shops/chains.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Parodite wrote:They compete for the comsumers who have most to spend and how many come in to their shops to buy something. So that has to be some averaged number. And then they still compete among each other by trying to have the best price/quality ratio.
I've heard that theory before.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
noddy

Post by noddy »

YMix wrote:
Parodite wrote:They compete for the comsumers who have most to spend and how many come in to their shops to buy something. So that has to be some averaged number. And then they still compete among each other by trying to have the best price/quality ratio.
you cant mix up the things which have healthy market competition with the things that dont.

milk, beer, bread etc will go up a wee bit as the poor have more in their pockets but the market will keep those products reasonably honest.

housing not so much - it would probably inflate quite badly and soak up much of the new money unless government did something to stop it.

the government itself is another big cost with no competition and its services are usually means tested and thusly the price changes when you have more means :)
ultracrepidarian
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

YMix wrote:
My theory is that you just don't like some global facts of life. 8-)
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Not sure a housing price bubble is caused by a guaranteed basic low income. Housing bubbles seem to be caused almost out of thin are and hard to avoid anyways. What makes them worse though are disturbances of the housing market by gvt interferences. Here for instance, the prices of houses are driven up considerably because already for decades mortgage costs can be deduced from your income tax. Another force for a housing bubble are banks giving out mortgages to people who can't afford it... for long.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Not a bad assessment Parodite. Welcome back BTW.
Thanks Bro :)
But before we can propose benefits, we have to determine how much extra milk each cow in our heard is willing to pay each day "for the good of society." "We," the brain trust at OTNOT, still have not defined "fair."
It is a democratic process and discussion before during after. So maybe "we" (not "us" on OTNOT) may come to a consensus or a majority vote. Business as usual? ;)
And then there are the endless rules that may need to be created. If Euro Fred (EF) decides to spend his 500 euros/month on cocaine, rather than food and shelter, what to do? Put him in govt care with forced feeding? Leave him in the street?
One of the good things of a basic income via the tax system is that it requires much less rules. An enormous forest of bureaucratic overhead can be torched and burned to the ground. I would start a vineyard in its place. There will always be Freds who decide to do stupid things no matter what. As a libertarian I don't want to take away that right from anybody.
At some point, "society" may decide that EF is a danger to himself, or a detriment to "their" neighborhood.
If he is adanger to himself alone.. too bad for him. If he is a danger also to others we need police, laws, courts, law enforcement. What's new, what's is the point? :?
So many nuances, so few who are "aware." Coolest part about ideology is there is no cost. Implementation runs face first into the glass door of reality and gets ugly.
Indeed. It always is trial and error. Learning is part of the process. Or not learning and be miserable.
No shock that you have people focused on their own self-interests (milking the system), in the Netherlands, but Hillbillies? Really? Wouldn't that require hills? ;)
:D Here it's neither up-hill nor down-hill... I guess. :(
good points. and as always, the main impediments to society becoming more "humane" will the reactions of the humans in that particular society.

It would be interesting some day to hear a serious cost/benefit analysis that bypasses the feel-good ideology of "me good" and actually addresses actual costs, hidden costs, perverse incentives, and unintended consequences. Me thinketh that day shall never come, cause it's complicated. Easier to sell "Us nice! Them mean!" without any of those pesky facts or data.

Feelings rule! Facts drool! :D

There still exist those ideologues who can not acknowledge the failures of Cash-for Clunkers, rent control, or sub prime financing as political strong arm tactics to help the poor. You can forbid people from using food stamps to buy contraband, but when a "poor" person offers $30 or $50 in food stamps for a $5 six pack of beer, some vendors will provide. Or if you sell your $30 or $50 in food stamps for $5 in cash, you good to go.

Then of course, there is the numbers aspect. Assume 10% get $500 a month, the govt. is 50% efficient ($0.50 of every dollar taxed gets to the end user), the other 90% must pay $111 per month to fund the program. If 10% of the population are better off, are the other 90% OK with footing the bill? What if only 60% agree the plan is "compassionate?" Are they the only ones who should be taxed? 60% agree this is fair, 60% willingly pay the additional tax, so we oppress 30% to help the 10%! Are we compassionate or oppressive? Definitely, "we" are not impressive. :(

As you noted, always, some will temporarily benefit, some will temporarily get screwed, and the discussions of who is who, and the definitions of benefit and screwed will be in flux ad infinitum (ie: for a long time).

Keep brainstorming P. Someday, they will get it! ;)

In the meantime, ala Endo-ology, I shall continue to search for the oppressor who promises to liberate me by oppressing those I consider to be oppressing me!

He/she/they must be out there some where.....
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

<Monty> Help! I'm being oppressed </Python>
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

SM.. I'm indeed brainstorming ;) and am thinking of a political party/movement. To get the EU back into its cage and preserve national autonomies, free trade zone etc.. but the core of it would be to fight monopolies in whatever format. Against big gvt, big banking, oligarchies etc. With more issue-based direct democracy where people vote across the spectrum more on separate issues as in a referendum where possible. And reform of social security as per basic income.

The word "anti" in a name is not a good sales pitch.. but thought of AMP, Anti Monopolist Party. Or Social Libertarian Alternative or something. Any suggestions are welcome. :D :?
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Parodite wrote:SM.. I'm indeed brainstorming ;) and am thinking of a political party/movement. To get the EU back into its cage and preserve national autonomies, free trade zone etc.. but the core of it would be to fight monopolies in whatever format. Against big gvt, big banking, oligarchies etc. With more issue-based direct democracy where people vote across the spectrum more on separate issues as in a referendum where possible. And reform of social security as per basic income.

The word "anti" in a name is not a good sales pitch.. but thought of AMP, Anti Monopolist Party. Or Social Libertarian Alternative or something. Any suggestions are welcome. :D :?
Vineyard politics. Minimal Redundancy of Representation. Now we have technology to replace most elected state, national and supranational representatives with the democratic consensus closest to the populace.

The republican ideal is great, but the graft and corruption come in when we retain all these nonproductive additional representatives we needed before the internet. Now we can prune government like a vineyard without changing structure by replacing national reps with local consensus.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Parodite wrote:SM.. I'm indeed brainstorming ;) and am thinking of a political party/movement. To get the EU back into its cage and preserve national autonomies, free trade zone etc.. but the core of it would be to fight monopolies in whatever format. Against big gvt, big banking, oligarchies etc. With more issue-based direct democracy where people vote across the spectrum more on separate issues as in a referendum where possible. And reform of social security as per basic income.

Vineyard politics. Minimal Redundancy of Representation. Now we have technology to replace most elected state, national and supranational representatives with the democratic consensus closest to the populace.

The republican ideal is great, but the graft and corruption come in when we retain all these nonproductive additional representatives we needed before the internet. Now we can prune government like a vineyard without changing structure by replacing national reps with local consensus.
Time to modernise indeed! Paralel to the internet and the possibilities it offers in this regard, it seems also good keep the non-electronic face-to-face consultations and mechanics in tact. The internet might change and is not entirely full proof reliable. Hackers, NSA etc..
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Parodite wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:

Time to modernise indeed! Paralel to the internet and the possibilities it offers in this regard, it seems also good keep the non-electronic face-to-face consultations and mechanics in tact. The internet might change and is not entirely full proof reliable. Hackers, NSA etc..
Agreed. Keeping the most local elections traditional helps, but eliminating the bigger ones helps even more.

In the US, the major elections are almost always corrupted but if Senators, Reps and POTUS were decided by only the local officials it would be clear what the actual votes were. No more expensive media campaigns as all would be decided in school gyms and churches.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

May the flux be with you!

I assume this is all "dog whistle code speak" and part of your plan to continue oppressing the people of Southern & Eastern Europe.

Keeping your wooden shoe on their throats so to speak....... ;)

How about:
The Responsible Party
The Adult Party
The Flat Earth Party

For requiting purposes, you might may to try a name that will appeal to the Lowest Common Denominator, such as:

The Party Till You Puke Party
or the
It's My Party and I'll Cry if I Want To Party (maybe not, too much competition...)

Potential theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcd6WmGTOQc
noddy

Post by noddy »

claim belgium as part of greater dutchieland thusly taking control of the EU and then offload the southerners.

worst case you get some nice beer.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Right now, I'm kinda leaning towards the party name of

"We are the 60%, Willing to Oppress the 30%, in Order to Help the 10%, Just So We Can Feel Good About Ourselves Party!" :D

Not quite as brilliant nor indisputable as "I am the 99%", but still kinda catchy.......

a close second was "We're Better Than You Guys Cause You Guys Suck Party!"
noddy

Post by noddy »

go dutch yourself ?
fit in or dutch off ?
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:go dutch yourself ?
fit in or dutch off ?
Maybe simplify it into

"Flemish You!"

or intellectualize it into

"I'm not Flemished with you yet!"
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

I've been sneakily lining the ducks up in a row for a brand new party here in Connecticut. The Twit Party, led by our remaining Connecticut Yankees with the rest of the party contributing ideas solely through twitter.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:I've been sneakily lining the ducks up in a row for a brand new party here in Connecticut. The Twit Party, led by our remaining Connecticut Yankees with the rest of the party contributing ideas solely through twitter.
:) if your policy cant be expressed in a small line of text, its no policy at all.
Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:go dutch yourself ?
fit in or dutch off ?
Maybe simplify it into

"Flemish You!"

or intellectualize it into

"I'm not Flemished with you yet!"
Cloggies not Woggies.
Cheeseheads not Towelheads.
ultracrepidarian
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

noddy wrote:claim belgium as part of greater dutchieland thusly taking control of the EU and then offload the southerners.

We are very much looking forward to being offloaded by the "barbarians"... Of course we may then become a bit isolated, as we will not be able to count on anyone but the Mediterranean countries (north and south), Russia, China, Iran, Latin America and Africa... :twisted:
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

noddy wrote:claim belgium as part of greater dutchieland thusly taking control of the EU and then offload the southerners.

Belgium beer is dangerously good... a liability in the project. :D