Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats, Autos, and Rockets

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats, and Autos

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Whisky Tango Foxtrot.

IEEE Spectrum | How the Boeing 737 Max Disaster Looks to a Software Developer
Design shortcuts meant to make a new plane seem like an old, familiar one are to blame.
About the Author

Gregory Travis is a writer, a software executive, a pilot, and an aircraft owner. In 1977, at the age of 13, he wrote Note, one of the first social media platforms, and he has logged more than 2,000 hours of flying time, ranging from gliders to a Boeing 757 (as a full-motion simulator).
Interesting.
As a grad student, I was repeatedly taught, in some situations one might say mercilessly, to "never attempt to fix it in software if it can be fixed in hardware".

___

Gregory Travis' observations about software design have a lot of implication for machine learning applications such as self-driving cars and radiology - diagnosing medical images.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Design News | Automakers Are Rethinking the Timetable for Fully Autonomous Cars
A few years ago, the auto industry boldly predicted full, Level 5 autonomy would arrive in 2020 or 2021. But the task has proven more complex than they originally thought.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

QilY00dCof8
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

French inventor Franky Zapata successfully flew across the English Channel on a jet-powered hoverboard.
This version used five small jet engines and Zapata carried kerosene in a backpack. It has 1500 horsepower. The 22-mile crossing took 20 minutes and reached speeds of over 100 mph. The flyboard costs about $250,000.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

pLXFky2LLvM
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Re: Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats, Autos, and Rockets

Post by Typhoon »

iJLFQ-1nGz0
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

cmGHmKohMvU
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

https://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-thi ... ard Safety
The Uber car that hit and killed Elaine Herzberg in Tempe, Ariz., in March 2018 could not recognize all pedestrians, and was being driven by an operator likely distracted by streaming video, according to documents released by the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) this week.

But while the technical failures and omissions in Uber’s self-driving car program are shocking, the NTSB investigation also highlights safety failures that include the vehicle operator’s lapses, lax corporate governance of the project, and limited public oversight.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Elektrek | The well-endowed Curtis-Hades electric motorcycle become a bit more modest

curtiss-hades-header.jpg
curtiss-hades-header.jpg (144.3 KiB) Viewed 18128 times
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Needs a rider with a full length duster and pterodactyl wings.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

CarScoop | Electric Vehicle Sales Fall Despite A Proliferation Of New Models

Electric motors are brilliant. Batteries remain range limited due to very low energy density.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Charge time is the main killer now - the more range they give them, the more time you sit around waiting for that to charge.

nobody on the planet wants to spend that much time at a service station, especially when you are wanting to use that range on weekend trips and this turns a considerable part of the holiday into waiting around in industrial carparks.

Code: Select all

Charger level	Time to charge
NEMA 5-15	3 miles of range per hour
NEMA 14-50	10 ½ hours
Wall connector 	6 to 9 hours
Supercharger	1 hour
unless you have the latest tesla and access to the latest supercharger (tm) those are shocking amounts of fun ruining time - even 1 hr is a joke
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:22 am Charge time is the main killer now - the more range they give them, the more time you sit around waiting for that to charge.

nobody on the planet wants to spend that much time at a service station, especially when you are wanting to use that range on weekend trips and this turns a considerable part of the holiday into waiting around in industrial carparks.

Code: Select all

Charger level	Time to charge
NEMA 5-15	3 miles of range per hour
NEMA 14-50	10 ½ hours
Wall connector 	6 to 9 hours
Supercharger	1 hour
unless you have the latest tesla and access to the latest supercharger (tm) those are shocking amounts of fun ruining time - even 1 hr is a joke
A good point.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Lithium strip mines, replacement batteries, charging stations, an increase on the coal fired electric load . . .

Using solar to get the hydrogen out of water and into fuel cells makes more sense to me. Big industry probably feels differently.

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

Hydrogen is the only real replacement for fuel on every level except storage - its so far been impossible for us to build bulk , ubiquitous storage which can contain 1 atom sized molecules without leaking.

Hence the never ending stories on fuel cell technology and coming up with a sponge which traps it under high pressure.

some Australian researchers found a quick industrial way of converting ammonia to and from hydrogen cheaply, so that sort of solved the ocean transport problem but the local storage and delivery problems are still waiting on the fuel cells.

I believe Honda and BMW both are chasing fuel cells aggressively, or atleast used to be.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

As is Toyoto. Toyota Mirai.

Claimed driving range: 502 km [312 mi]

Claimed refueling time: 5 min
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:48 am Hydrogen is the only real replacement for fuel on every level except storage - its so far been impossible for us to build bulk , ubiquitous storage which can contain 1 atom sized molecules without leaking.

Hence the never ending stories on fuel cell technology and coming up with a sponge which traps it under high pressure.

some Australian researchers found a quick industrial way of converting ammonia to and from hydrogen cheaply, so that sort of solved the ocean transport problem but the local storage and delivery problems are still waiting on the fuel cells.

I believe Honda and BMW both are chasing fuel cells aggressively, or at least used to be.
Ammonia is another candidate option. One that the former member known as "Torchwood" used to go on about.

Joule | An Efficient Direct Ammonia Fuel Cell for Affordable Carbon-Neutral Transportation

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:06 am Lithium strip mines, replacement batteries, charging stations, an increase on the coal fired electric load . . .

Using solar to get the hydrogen out of water and into fuel cells makes more sense to me. Big industry probably feels differently.
I doubt that there is enough available land in the USA for all the low energy density solar panels that would required to generate sufficient hydrogen to power a contemporary industrial economy.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Colonel Sun wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:20 pm
Nonc Hilaire wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:06 am Lithium strip mines, replacement batteries, charging stations, an increase on the coal fired electric load . . .

I doubt that there is enough available land in the USA for all the low energy density solar panels that would required to generate sufficient hydrogen to power a contemporary industrial economy.
My point is hydrogen is far “greener” and would frees the driver from much of the monopoly of big industry than battery tech. Hobbyists are now filling fuel cells with water sourced H using 12v 2x3 ft panels.

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Colonel Sun wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:59 pm
noddy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:48 am Hydrogen is the only real replacement for fuel on every level except storage - its so far been impossible for us to build bulk , ubiquitous storage which can contain 1 atom sized molecules without leaking.

I believe Honda and BMW both are chasing fuel cells aggressively, or at least used to be.
Ammonia is another candidate option. One that the former member known as "Torchwood" used to go on about.

Joule | An Efficient Direct Ammonia Fuel Cell for Affordable Carbon-Neutral Transportation

Useful in farm country where ammonia is common, but in urban areas I would prefer water. Ammonia is so caustic and highly controlled as it is used in amphetamine manufacture.

Great novel: Paul Theroux’s EXPLOSIVE “Mosquito Coast”. A paranoid father drags his family to South America to build an ammonia powered ice factory.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

10q9_pB6unU

iepnr-Rx4Uw
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

AIP | Jet Propulsion with Air Plasmas

ADV20-AR-00587_image-768x508.jpg
ADV20-AR-00587_image-768x508.jpg (50.67 KiB) Viewed 17525 times

Of course, one needs some source of energy to power the magnetron, RF power supply, and air compressor.