Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats, Autos, and Rockets

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats, and Autos

Post by Typhoon »

cq9bBqjknAY
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote:Image

take the next left.
If only Yogi Berra had lived to see this.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

https://pjmedia.com/trending/the-green- ... pensively/
Tens of thousands of plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) bought with generous government grants may be burning as much fuel as combustion-engine cars. ​Data compiled for the BBC suggests that such vehicles in corporate fleets averaged just 40 miles per gallon (mpg), when they could have done 130.
Why??....
"There are some examples where employees aren't even charging these vehicles up," said Paul Hollick, The Miles Consultancy's managing director. "The charge cables are still in the boot, in a cellophane wrapper, while the company and the employee are going in and out of petrol stations, paying for all of this additional fuel. This practice, he added, was "ridiculous".
....and what about the driveability of these hybrid vehicles? Mr. Walsh's personal opinion is summed up in this New Yorker cartoon:

She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:https://pjmedia.com/trending/the-green- ... pensively/
Tens of thousands of plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) bought with generous government grants may be burning as much fuel as combustion-engine cars. ​Data compiled for the BBC suggests that such vehicles in corporate fleets averaged just 40 miles per gallon (mpg), when they could have done 130.
Why??....
"There are some examples where employees aren't even charging these vehicles up," said Paul Hollick, The Miles Consultancy's managing director. "The charge cables are still in the boot, in a cellophane wrapper, while the company and the employee are going in and out of petrol stations, paying for all of this additional fuel. This practice, he added, was "ridiculous".
:lol: I love the irony. As we say in the hood of SimpleMindedStan, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think!"

And that is overlooking the fact that the "green" hybrid vehicle has two drive trains instead of only the single drive train of a gas powered car. Don't look into the energy equivalent cost of manufacturing hybrids.... It'll pop the bubble.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

The installation of two drive trains is an engineering redundancy and utilitarian disaster except for the one usable feature of the hybrid drive, the "Government doesn't tax your cherries off for driving a diesel or petrol commercial vehicle" module.....'>.......
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

boB6qu5dcCw
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Do we really want driverless vehicles?
It is just 15 years since the US military’s defense research agency offered $1 million to anyone who could create an autonomous vehicle capable of traversing a 240-kilometer course in the Mojave Desert. All 15 contenders crashed out of the DARPA Grand Challenge in 2004 and not one vehicle got further than 11.9km. The following year, however, five vehicles crossed the finish line, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency lost its prize money, and the world was thrust into a race to monetize a technology that, until that moment, no one knew was needed.
https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/02/opini ... less-cars/

also.......

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... ving-cars/
noddy

Post by noddy »

my thots on the subject.

Europe and Asia formed pre-car, all the cities, all the towns, are organised in a way that rivers, trains or a brisk walk can handle much of your life.

Australia and America unfortunately formed around the car, so everything is spaced out wrong and has hardly any of those long term natural structures in them.

this is going to create alot of discordant arguments amongst people who dont understand how important a car is to the new world.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:my thots on the subject.

Europe and Asia formed pre-car, all the cities, all the towns, are organised in a way that rivers, trains or a brisk walk can handle much of your life.

Australia and America unfortunately formed around the car, so everything is spaced out wrong and has hardly any of those long term natural structures in them.

this is going to create alot of discordant arguments amongst people who dont understand how important a car is to the new world.
Excellent observation.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

https://www.amgreatness.com/2019/02/03/ ... -odysseus/

I've actually been to both Troy (NY) and Ithaca (NY). Neither are bad places at all.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:https://www.amgreatness.com/2019/02/03/ ... -odysseus/

I've actually been to both Troy (NY) and Ithaca (NY). Neither are bad places at all.
:)

Haven't been to California since the 1990's. Sounds like the state of the State has significantly declined since then.

When I'd stop for gas in the south Loop in Chicago, some pinwheel would invariably show up and ask for money.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Easy to designate one lane on freeways for automated autos (and trucks). Make long term travel painless and simple.

Short-run traffic can stay manual on freeways by choice, but all traffic goes manual off the freeways. Low cost and instant implementation.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:https://www.amgreatness.com/2019/02/03/ ... -odysseus/

hah. sydney is as close as australia gets to this.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Easy to designate one lane on freeways for automated autos (and trucks). Make long term travel painless and simple.

Short-run traffic can stay manual on freeways by choice, but all traffic goes manual off the freeways. Low cost and instant implementation.
maybe, seems hard to police and the real win of automated cars is not the auto pilot on highways, its the floating pool of shard rentable units that lets the poorer folk not waste money on a high cost item that spends most of its time wasting space on their property.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Easy to designate one lane on freeways for automated autos (and trucks). Make long term travel painless and simple.

maybe, seems hard to police and the real win of automated cars is not the auto pilot on highways, its the floating pool of shard rentable units that lets the poorer folk not waste money on a high cost item that spends most of its time wasting space on their property.
But it is an existing use scenario that requires virtually no changes and less policing as HOV lanes. Put people on notice drivers in the auto-auto lane may be watching PronHub and might not have both hands on the wheel kinda polices itself.

I also read the trucking industry has proposed that exact plan for long haul trucking.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

I saw this movie once. Robots from the future send a cyborg back in time to debug the system.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I have a car that has manual steering but automated speed control (Subaru Eyesight). It follows the car ahead by a set distance regardless of speed. Unlike cruise control, it speeds up and slows down to around 2mph before you must use the accellerator..

Very nice on the long family vacation, but a delight in bumper-to-bumper traffic. No constant accellerate then brake. Just a smooth even ride. Competely eliminates that tension which builds up in stop and go driving.

It has collision avoidance, which is nice, but I think if everyone had automated speed control we could almost eliminate traffic jams.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

CAD as in computer assisted driving is a good idea.

We still have a way go to full autopilot.

Ars Tech | In 2017, the feds said Tesla Autopilot cut crashes 40%—that was bogus
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

The Boeing 737 Max debacle burst like an overripe carbuncle and probably deserves its own thread, but our spengler has an interesting take on the situation:
By now the whole world knows what pilots and aerospace engineers have known all along: Boeing stuck big modern engines on a 1950s airframe design, which made the 737 Max inherently unstable, with a tendency to go nose up and stall. It used a software kluge to compensate but didn’t retrain pilots in the new aircraft in order to speed sales.
pomp........ ow....... BUT.....
President Trump should remember Winston Churchill’s advice never to waste a crisis, and use the full power of his office to hold Boeing accountable for cutting corners and withholding key information. That’s the right thing to do as a matter of sheer political expediency – Americans want their leaders to stand up to industry corruption – but it’s also a strategic opportunity.
https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/03/artic ... ty-for-us/
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I think options expiration is this Friday and Boeing is a big chunk of the Dow. Should be an interesting day. The PPT is going to have a busy couple of days.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Soccer Moms on the Moon.

1kd2nFHAAtU
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

This is the first cool thing I've seen in a while. "Street legal".

uvLnpQepAA0
Censorship isn't necessary
noddy

Post by noddy »

thats quite the nifty toy.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

It's a monster as well. At one point it was #2 on the Top Gear lap time list.

d9ShFhKUg40
Censorship isn't necessary