Junk Science: Poor science, pseudoscience, errors, and fraud

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Junk Science: Poor science, pseudoscience, errors, and fraud

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:00 pm
After months of investigation that identified networks of reviewers and editors manipulating the peer review process, Hindawi plans to retract 511 papers across 16 journals, Retraction Watch has learned.

The retractions, which the publisher and its parent company, Wiley, will announce tomorrow in a blog post, will be issued in the next month, and more may come as its investigation continues. They are not yet making the list available.

Hindawi’s research integrity team found several signs of manipulated peer reviews for the affected papers, including reviews that contained duplicated text, a few individuals who did a lot of reviews, reviewers who turned in their reviews extremely quickly, and misuse of databases that publishers use to vet potential reviewers.

Richard Bennett, vice president of researcher and publishing services for Hindawi, told us that the publisher suspects “coordinated peer review rings” consisting of reviewers and editors working together to advance manuscripts through to publication. Some of the manuscripts appeared to come from paper mills, he said.
https://retractionwatch.com/2022/09/28/ ... dium=email
A structural problem due to the "publish or perish" demands in academia along with giving far too much weight to quantity over quality including number of citations over quality of citations in hiring decisions.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:53 pm
Nonc Hilaire wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:00 pm
After months of investigation that identified networks of reviewers and editors manipulating the peer review process, Hindawi plans to retract 511 papers across 16 journals, Retraction Watch has learned.

The retractions, which the publisher and its parent company, Wiley, will announce tomorrow in a blog post, will be issued in the next month, and more may come as its investigation continues. They are not yet making the list available.

Hindawi’s research integrity team found several signs of manipulated peer reviews for the affected papers, including reviews that contained duplicated text, a few individuals who did a lot of reviews, reviewers who turned in their reviews extremely quickly, and misuse of databases that publishers use to vet potential reviewers.

Richard Bennett, vice president of researcher and publishing services for Hindawi, told us that the publisher suspects “coordinated peer review rings” consisting of reviewers and editors working together to advance manuscripts through to publication. Some of the manuscripts appeared to come from paper mills, he said.
https://retractionwatch.com/2022/09/28/ ... dium=email
A structural problem due to the "publish or perish" demands in academia along with giving far too much weight to quantity over quality including number of citations over quality of citations in hiring decisions.
Perhaps the term "published science" should be replaced with "Click bait science"
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I posted a concept for correction of these issues in this forum s couple weeks ago.

The idea is to publish proposals. The necessity, methodology &c made public would correct much of the academic corruption and the original ideas would rise to the top.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Science is only the application of a procedure to eliminate bias and deception about a certain proposition, something called the 'scientific method'. Once we're past that wall, it is no longer science. It has entered the realm of human discussion and debate and is more appropriately termed philosophy....... or politics....'>.......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Doc

Post by Doc »

I posted this here as the main point is controlling people with the excuse we are in a "Climate emergency"
https://summit.news/2022/11/18/canadian ... emissions/
Canadian Bank Launches Credit Card Linked to Carbon Emissions
Technocrats move towards carbon allowance credits.
But then again, who needs credit cards to control everyone when money is "programmable"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z_LQ5rq8pQ

4Z_LQ5rq8pQ

Its not as if they are actually woke, just greedy for more money and more control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzCHzAbLPBI

FzCHzAbLPBI
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

I wouldn't be surprized if at one point armed militias emerge with hitlists of all those bankster prankster criminal robber baron kingpins and their political enablers. Whacktime is coming. The globalist crime cartels need to be taken down by raw force since there are zero political forces active or emerging to stop them.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:43 pm I wouldn't be surprized if at one point armed militias emerge with hitlists of all those bankster prankster criminal robber baron kingpins and their political enablers. Whacktime is coming. The globalist crime cartels need to be taken down by raw force since there are zero political forces active or emerging to stop them.
What usually happens is that monopolists don't face any criminal charges but instead "give away" part of their fortune to make amends with the historical record. Carnegie and Mellon being prime examples. Of course they never give it all away. Usually just the interest. Now a days they set up foundations and pay themselves from it. Funny how you can give your cake away and keep it too.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/14/jeff-be ... rtune.html

Jeff Bezos says he plans to give away most of his $124 billion fortune
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Parodite wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:43 pm I wouldn't be surprized if at one point armed militias emerge with hitlists of all those bankster prankster criminal robber baron kingpins and their political enablers. Whacktime is coming. The globalist crime cartels need to be taken down by raw force since there are zero political forces active or emerging to stop them.
I wouldn't be surprised if the robber barons organize their own private militias, with the help of the useful idiots on the right who by and large make up these peoples' fan base in the first place.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Zack Morris wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:25 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if the robber barons organize their own private militias, with the help of the useful idiots on the right who by and large make up these peoples' fan base in the first place.
Whom are you trying to kid.

Bezos, for example, owns the Washington Post. Google and Facebook support the status quo.
Google and Facebook support the status quo along with the MSM.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

FT | China’s fake science industry: how ‘paper mills’ threaten progress
The country has become a prolific producer of academic research but fraudulent studies risk serious real-world consequences
Doc

Post by Doc »