News from Forum Participants

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: News from Forum Participants

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

I got the 1st modena shot today. I've been saying it since April but kept putting it off from a combination of laziness, relative isolation and other matters that sprang up all summer.

So far very slight body chills and the arm where I received the injection goes in and out of feeling a bit fuzzy.

I've a number of muscles which feel fatigued as if I just came back from playing some competitive sport.

One sore joint-- the ankle I shattered years ago. It's actually making it hard to walk, the whole thing is locked up no matter how much stretching I do.

I can place weight on it, and hobble about but I can't push off it at all.
noddy

Post by noddy »

i had a day or two or flu like tiredness after my pfizer shots, but nothing magor - if i need a booster in 6 months i will be doing so.

my state is being slow in opening its borders up , which is causing much gnashing of teeth, but looks like we will be letting covid rip through in january.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Yes, nothing except the ankle joint thing approached anything concerning.

Temperature, heart rate et al. were all fine. If my ankle didn't lock up, I could've ran a marathon.

I awoke at 100%.
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

noddy wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:40 am i had a day or two or flu like tiredness after my pfizer shots, but nothing magor - if i need a booster in 6 months i will be doing so.

my state is being slow in opening its borders up , which is causing much gnashing of teeth, but looks like we will be letting covid rip through in january.
Midsummer would seem to be as good a time as any to lift restrictions. Plenty of vitamin D synthesis available, and sunlight still being among the best disinfectants.
noddy

Post by noddy »

crashtech66 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:15 pm
noddy wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:40 am i had a day or two or flu like tiredness after my pfizer shots, but nothing magor - if i need a booster in 6 months i will be doing so.

Midsummer would seem to be as good a time as any to lift restrictions. Plenty of vitamin D synthesis available, and sunlight still being among the best disinfectants.
true enough - we are a reasonably outdoor and sunny place even in winter, much of the northern hemisphere would consider our 70f (20c) winter days as mid summer :)

the main problem is lack of spare resource in the hospitals, our population exploded from 1.5 million to 2.5 million faster than the services could keep up, so the emergency system was already melting down.

none of that shows up in the analysis, its embarassing for the government and creates that "its racist to discuss" vibe in the usual suspects.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

The soyface meme is very real, leaving the propaganda behind the meme aside-- I just thought it was an internet thing.

I'm seeing it in the wild-- I even saw a couple's wedding photos where bride and groom were making that face.

It's a disturbing expressionless pose. No one is actually smiling or frowning or expressing surprise; or showing real emotion.

Is it suppos'd to be like a frozen action shot?
noddy

Post by noddy »

Tacky wedding photos is a full thing of its own, with or without meme faces, thats been forever, ditto the baby photos that follow it.

soyface itself seems to be a full realised thing now - soyboys doing it unironically, lads doing it ironically, shameless clickbait folks doing it for reasons they dont care about but will continue to do so for aslong as it gets more clicks.

Im not sure any of this youtube "extra" behaviour has a reason, it has a spontaneous attention seeking behaviour that gets rewarded with clicks, then it has people copying what works,

thumbnails are big business, the content producers are desperate to be seen as interesting.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

attention seeking wouldn't be an extra reason...

but yeah I get that.

the tacky wedding thing didn't cross my mind; what stood out was how it looked like they defaulted to that face as their public face. Wedding photos are a public performance too for many. That is probably the youtube reinforcement loop.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Shot #2 down and I feel better than the first dose.

The difference being my arm does actually hurt this time, and my face felt flush for a few hours after the fact but that's largely subsided.

No joint aches, no chills or fever, no headache.

I guess I'm not out of the woods yet as some report the effects hitting them the next day.

--------------------

My heuristic is my father as we tend to match up well with illnesses going about. He experienced a feeling of a headache coming on and a fever starting about 4 hours after the 2nd dose. While that cleared up in 6-10 hours, the next day brought an extreme fatigue. So far so good for me.

-----------

Update Edit: I did not escape scott-free; fatigue set in as did the muscle/joint aches and chills for most of the day. The fatigue was a totally novel feeling, never experienced anything like that before.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

My new best friend, Foxfire. Shiba/Pomeranian cross. Only a week and this is the smartest and best behaved dog I have ever owned.
A6F5207D-201D-4A9F-96C0-D696D374E486.jpeg
A6F5207D-201D-4A9F-96C0-D696D374E486.jpeg (5.1 MiB) Viewed 32020 times
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
NapLajoieonSteroids

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:23 pm My new best friend, Foxfire. Shiba/Pomeranian cross. Only a week and this is the smartest and best behaved dog I have ever owned.

That's a very cute dog.

Are Shiba/Pomeranians energetic dogs?
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:49 am
Nonc Hilaire wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:23 pm My new best friend, Foxfire. Shiba/Pomeranian cross. Only a week and this is the smartest and best behaved dog I have ever owned.

That's a very cute dog.

Are Shiba/Pomeranians energetic dogs?
Crazy energetic around other dogs. Needs to be the only one. Very calm and cat-like for most of the day, but needs two walks and a couple rough games of tug the rope daily @ 8 mos.

Loyal to the family not so much individuals. Always near to someone.

We have two dog doors to a fenced back yard. Once he got over his fear of them he instantly housebroke himself (fingers crossed here).
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

柴犬 | Shiba inu | Shiba dog | is the most popular breed in Japan.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Received my 3rd COVID-19 dose recently.

Experienced mild flu-like symptoms the next day. Otherwise fine.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:14 am 柴犬 | Shiba inu | Shiba dog | is the most popular breed in Japan.
I never had a true shiba but this seems to be a worthwhile hybrid variety. Only 11 pounds so smaller than a shiba, which I should be a good thing for Japan. Poms are smart, but just too tiny and bouffant.

Similar biscuit & cream markings but more subtle. Pom smart and a bit of Pom fluff. Croissant tail which looks awesome but does not wag at all ☹️.

A nice touch of the shiba smile. Eager to please, and not stubborn. Not for children though. We got him because he played too rough with the previous owner’s grandchildren.

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:16 am Received my 3rd COVID-19 dose recently.

Any change in your d-Dimers or the myocarditis test? Those are the only medical tests for side effects I know of.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:31 pm

Any change in your d-Dimers or the myocarditis test? Those are the only medical tests for side effects I know of.
No symptoms that would indicate D-Dimer or ECG + echocardiograph + troponin tests.

Feel well.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:05 pm

No symptoms that would indicate D-Dimer or ECG + echocardiograph + troponin tests.

Feel well.
You used to be the guy who relied entirely on ivory tower science and bragged about ignoring practitioner experience, and now adding two simple and inexpensive tests to your usual bloodwork is too ‘sciency’?

I’m glad you feel well but anecdotal evidence, dude 😉

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:58 am
Typhoon wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:05 pm

Feel well.
You used to be the guy who relied entirely on ivory tower science and bragged about ignoring practitioner experience, and now adding two simple and inexpensive tests to your usual bloodwork is too ‘sciency’?

I’m glad you feel well but anecdotal evidence, dude 😉
Thank you.

:lol:

The medical system in Japan is a bit different from that in the US.

In Japan, patients don't pick and choose which diagnostic tests to administer.
kmich

Post by kmich »

I have had numerous discussions with my international partners regarding my potential medical assistance in Ukraine. Since I am fluent in Russian (Most native Ukrainian speakers know Russian), have substantial experience in emergency and trauma surgery as well as experience providing service in war zones, I apparently could be useful. My hospital work with Covid-19 patients is not really needed at this time.

My Orthodox Church community has encouraged me to go. Most are Russian refugees or descendants of them like me, so support for Ukraine is pretty much shared. Two Ukrainian brothers who served as Marines in Iraq have already left to join Zelensky's "international legion." I have discouraged those without military training and experience to go. They will be more of a burden in a combat situation than a help.

My wife has decided to stop work and focus on her prayer and spiritual practice. I support that, it is her path. I have become restless and difficult to live with which she has been remarkably patient with. Her feelings regarding my departure are mixed. On the one hand, she knows I need to channel my mercurial passions constructively, but she also realizes that I may not return. My daughters do not want me to go, and that has been hard for me to handle. Leave next week.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

God bless you, kmitch.

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

best of luck.

I hope your help is not needed, for the sake of everyone involved.
ultracrepidarian
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Your skill set and experience is clearly much needed in the Ukraine.

Wishing that you survive your time in the Ukraine and for a safe return.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Memories from Childhood(and beyond sigh..) No running water. Little to no grass Just coal refuse covered ground.

JFK goes house to house during his presidential POTUS run in 1960:

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros