News from Forum Participants

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Nonc Hilaire

Re: News from Forum Participants

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:21 amimages (2).jpeg
That lawn furniture meme is popular in Brooklyn right now.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

I was surprised to learn that one of the largest series of earthquakes that occurred in the continental US was in the area of of what is now Missouri.

Wikipedia | 1811–1812 New Madrid earthquakes

Estimated intensity range of 7.2 to 8.6.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Typhoon wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:13 am
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:14 am Survived the Great Quake of 2024. :)

What, no, not the serious ones in the Pacific. The tiny little one which freaked out the media because it happened to them right in Manhattan.

Felt throughout the northeast; the aftershock we felt seemed to last longer than the initial earthquake.
Glad to learn that you survived ;)

For comparison, the Taiwan earthquake was about 316 times more powerful than the one that rattled the chattering classes in New York.
I can only imagine.

-----------

The news of the non-event did produce a bit of trivia I wasn't aware of: NYC skyscrapers are built to withstand up to a 6.2 on the Richter Scale.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:33 am
Nonc Hilaire wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:23 am
Post some pictures, HP!

For sure will .. 3 days Tokyo, 3 days Kyoto, 3 days Tokyo and back

Shabu Shabu, here we come.

How was the trip HP?
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:32 am
Heracleum Persicum wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:33 am
Nonc Hilaire wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:23 am
Post some pictures, HP!

For sure will .. 3 days Tokyo, 3 days Kyoto, 3 days Tokyo and back

Shabu Shabu, here we come.

How was the trip HP ?

Very very interesting

Was 3 nights in Tokyo .. Tokyo is NYC style but 100 time nicer, very high end .. stayed in Ginza, beautiful streets .. Japanese extremely polite AND friendly, and helpful, very discreet

Tokyo is very clean .. smoking and eating on the street not allowed, fined Yen 1000 .. one sees real wealth .. Asakusa district nice, looked around many places.

But

The real action is Kyoto

Took bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto, 2 hrs , 280 km/hr speed

Stayed in Kyoto centre, 3 night, did not use taxi or bus, did walk all to mingle with .. people much more relaxed (In Tokyo life is fast) and fun

Kyoto is the real classic Japan .. real, still active, full of very beautiful still active Temples in Gion & Miyagawa region, you can see real Geisha

Kiyomizu-dera|清水寺.png
Kiyomizu-dera|清水寺.png (5.87 MiB) Viewed 50 times

https://www.kiyomizudera.or.jp/en/visit/

https://www.discoverkyoto.com/places-go/kiyomizu-dera/

https://www.snowmonkeyresorts.com/activ ... ka-pagoda/

Many very beautiful, still active Temples AND Shrines .. Weekend pretty much all Japanese mostly (men and women) with Kimono in many "Shrines" .. bought a real antique silk Kimono from MAIKO ANTIQUES KYOTO .. Tea Ceremony must attend with Kimono

All Kyoto is full of very nice, mostly white, Cherry blossom trees .. Beginning April is the best time to go, not later

Food was excellent and not expensive in Kyoto .. had twice Shabu-Shabu in Kyoto, $ 40 per persone, including beer and all in (there no tip in Japan) .. Excellent Sushi .. only expensive is Kobe Beef, had once just to see what it is , Canadian beef as good or even better (for me). Beer is best beer, for some reason Whisky is cheaper than beer in restaurants, Japanese Whisky premium, Japanese drink whisky like you drink Coca Cola with food.

Kyoto hotels have also Thermal bath (spa) as Kyoto is next to volcano .. men and women separate, and must go NAKED.

ZIPAir flies non stop fron Los Angeles, San Fran and Vancouver .. non stop, 8 hrs

Narita is outside Tokyo, must take bus or train, $ 15 each

I had bought a "Data SIM" .. connection was fast and excellent everywhere even in Bullet train

Very few Japanese speak english, but they all very helpful

Funny thing is neither going nor coming back I had any "JetLag" , although Vancouver/Japan time difference is 16 hours .. I did not feel any discomfort .. Took off Narita airport 3:40 PM , Arrived vancouver same day 8:30 AM .. gained 1 whole day :lol:

More later
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Glad to read that you enjoyed your trip to Japan.

Your timing with regards to 花見 | hanami - cherry blossom viewing this year was spot on.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.