Iberian Nations

monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Calling Mr. Perfect! Azari has a deal for you!

Post by monster_gardener »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Bloomberg | Portugal Leads Rise in European Bond Risk as Coalition Crumbles
Portugal’s 10-year bond yield topped 8 percent for the first time this year after two ministers quit the coalition government, putting budget cuts at risk as the country works to meet the terms of its bailout program. Rating downgrades of European banks and unrest in Egypt also drove up credit risk.

“Portugal is almost certainly going to become a crisis,” Bill Blain, a strategist at Mint Partners Ltd in London, wrote in a note to clients today. “When politicians walk away from government, you know a new election is coming. That’s the point economic reform dies.”

The cost of insuring European corporate debt against default rose to the highest in a week, signaling deterioration in perceptions of credit quality.
What's going on?

Paradise (Persian word) for "Junk" bind buyers .. Portugal bonds as good as US T-Bills

best deal right now is :

Short US T-Bill
Long Portuguese long bonds

a money machine

Thank You Very Much for your post, Azari.
best deal right now is :

Short US T-Bill

a money machine
Calling Mr. Perfect......... ;) :lol:

Azari has a deal for you!

Also channeling ;) Ibrahim :twisted:

This post should be in the Finance thread!!! ;)

Just joking........ :lol: :roll:
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Heracleum Persicum

Re: Calling Mr. Perfect! Azari has a deal for you!

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

monster_gardener wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Bloomberg | Portugal Leads Rise in European Bond Risk as Coalition Crumbles
Portugal’s 10-year bond yield topped 8 percent for the first time this year after two ministers quit the coalition government, putting budget cuts at risk as the country works to meet the terms of its bailout program. Rating downgrades of European banks and unrest in Egypt also drove up credit risk.

“Portugal is almost certainly going to become a crisis,” Bill Blain, a strategist at Mint Partners Ltd in London, wrote in a note to clients today. “When politicians walk away from government, you know a new election is coming. That’s the point economic reform dies.”

The cost of insuring European corporate debt against default rose to the highest in a week, signaling deterioration in perceptions of credit quality.
What's going on?

Paradise (Persian word) for "Junk" bind buyers .. Portugal bonds as good as US T-Bills

best deal right now is :

Short US T-Bill

a money machine

best deal right now is :

Short US T-Bill

a money machine

Look, Monster, US interest rate going only up, question only is how fast .. higher yield means lower T-bill prices .. that's no brainer

and

Angela guaranties Portuguese government bonds .. Portugal defaulting means Angela defaulting

in that sense

US T-bill SHORT // Portuguese government bonds LONG, better than money in the bank as the bank could fail as they all miles under water, pretty much all of them

am sure MP already to the eyeball into that :lol:

Mosh*e (hedge funds) getting out of "long Nikkei-short Yen" and into "short Bernanke- Long Angela" government bonds

monster_gardener

Purslane Re Calling Mr. Perfect! Azari has a deal for you!..

monster_gardener wrote:

What's going on?

best deal right now is :

Short US T-Bill

a money machine

best deal right now is :

Short US T-Bill

a money machine

Look, Monster, US interest rate going only up, question only is how fast .. higher yield means lower T-bill prices .. that's no brainer

and

Angela guaranties Portuguese government bonds .. Portugal defaulting means Angela defaulting

in that sense

US T-bill SHORT // Portuguese government bonds LONG, better than money in the bank as the bank could fail as they all miles under water, pretty much all of them

am sure MP already to the eyeball into that :lol:

Mosh*e (hedge funds) getting out of "long Nikkei-short Yen" and into "short Bernanke- Long Angela" government bonds

Thank you Very Much for your post, Azari.

And the financial advice which I hope Mr. Perfect will comment on........

But foreign bonds are really probably finance above my level.......

Down in the Black Gang it is probably better to just make sure your house is paid off and invest in cans of soup & beans & shotgun shells & bullets........

And know what you can eat that grows wild..........

Today's plant is purslane.........

Although purslane is considered a weed in the United States, it may be eaten as a leaf vegetable. It has a slightly sour and salty taste and is eaten throughout much of Europe, the middle east, Asia, and Mexico.[1][3] The stems, leaves and flower buds are all edible. Purslane may be used fresh as a salad, stir-fried, or cooked as spinach is, and because of its mucilaginous quality it also is suitable for soups and stews. Australian Aborigines use the seeds to make seedcakes. Greeks, who call it andrakla (αντράκλα) or glystrida (γλυστρίδα), fry the leaves and the stems with feta cheese, tomato, onion, garlic, oregano, and olive oil, add it in salads, boil it or add to casseroled chicken. In Turkey, besides being used in salads and in baked pastries, it is cooked as a vegetable similar to spinach. In the south of Portugal (Alentejo), "baldroegas" are used as a soup ingredient. Because of its high water content Purslane cooks down quite a bit. Pick more than you think you will need. Makes a quick cold soup in hot weather by cooking and blending together with other vegetables.

Purslane contains more omega-3 fatty acids (alpha-linolenic acid in particular[4]) than any other leafy vegetable plant. Research published by Artemis P. Simopoulos states that Purslane has 0.01 mg/g of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). This is an extraordinary amount of EPA for a land-based vegetable source. EPA is an Omega-3 fatty acid found mostly in fish, some algae, and flax seeds.[5] It also contains vitamins (mainly vitamin A, vitamin C, and some vitamin B and carotenoids), as well as dietary minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, potassium, and iron. Also present are two types of betalain alkaloid pigments, the reddish betacyanins (visible in the coloration of the stems) and the yellow betaxanthins (noticeable in the flowers and in the slight yellowish cast of the leaves). Both of these pigment types are potent antioxidants and have been found to have antimutagenic properties in laboratory studies.[6]

100 Grams of fresh purslane leaves (about 1 cup) contain 300 to 400 mg of alpha-linolenic acid.[7] One cup of cooked leaves contains 90 mg of calcium, 561 mg of potassium, and more than 2,000 IUs of vitamin A. A half-cup of purslane leaves contains as much as 910 mg of oxalate, a compound implicated in the formation of kidney stones, however, note that many common vegetables, such as spinach, also can contain high concentrations of oxalates.

When stressed by low availability of water, purslane, which has evolved in hot and dry environments, switches to photosynthesis using Crassulacean acid metabolism (the CAM pathway): At night its leaves trap carbon dioxide, which is converted into malic acid (the souring principle of apples), and, in the day, the malic acid is converted into glucose. When harvested in the early morning, the leaves have ten times the malic acid content as when harvested in the late afternoon, and thus have a significantly more tangy taste.
Traditional medicine

Portulaca oleracea showing blooms
Seed pods, closed and open, revealing the seeds

Known as Ma Chi Xian (pinyin: translates as "horse tooth amaranth") in traditional Chinese medicine, its active constituents include: noradrenaline, calcium salts, dopamine, DOPA[disambiguation needed], malic acid, citric acid, glutamic acid, asparagic acid, nicotinic acid, alanine, glucose, fructose, and sucrose.[8] Betacyanins isolated from Portulaca oleracea ameliorated cognition deficits in aged mice.[9] A rare subclass of Homoisoflavonoids, from the plant, showed in vitro cytotoxic activities towards four human cancer cell lines.[10] Use is contraindicated during pregnancy and for those with cold and weak digestion.[8] Purslane is a clinically effective treatment for oral lichen planus,[11] and its leaves are used to treat insect or snake bites on the skin,[12] boils, sores, pain from bee stings, bacillary dysentery, diarrhea, hemorrhoids, postpartum bleeding, and intestinal bleeding.[8]

Strangely, Portulaca oleracea efficiently removes bisphenol A, an endocrine-disrupting chemical, from a hydroponic solution, how this happens is unclear.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portulaca_ ... nary_usage
Endovelico

Re: Iberian Nations

Post by Endovelico »

This decision has certainly met with the approval of most Portuguese because most Portuguese today have Jewish ancestors. My own family, from Alentejo, has a "New Christian" (the name given to Jews who converted to Catholicism) tradition and I feel very comfortable with that heritage. Many of us have also Arab and Berber ancestors, and Roman, and Celtic ancestors. The German fantasy of a "pure" race would be a joke in Portugal, and that's why we live side by side with people from all cultural and ethnic traditions without any tensions. After all, they are us and we are them...
monster_gardener

Kudos to Portugal.......

Endovelico wrote:
This decision has certainly met with the approval of most Portuguese because most Portuguese today have Jewish ancestors. My own family, from Alentejo, has a "New Christian" (the name given to Jews who converted to Catholicism) tradition and I feel very comfortable with that heritage. Many of us have also Arab and Berber ancestors, and Roman, and Celtic ancestors. The German fantasy of a "pure" race would be a joke in Portugal, and that's why we live side by side with people from all cultural and ethnic traditions without any tensions. After all, they are us and we are them...
Thank you VERY Much for your posts, Endo and Azari.

Good for the Portuguese.

Wondering if this might help Portugal financially...........

Besides getting another nice word from Spengler David Goldman...........

The Article says that the Spanish are considering doing likewise though I suspect they may have a bigger diaspora to deal with if Jews decide that Iberia is simpatico right now....... The Climate is great but what about the finances and jobs...........

Besides Spain being larger, in Spain more Jews left while in Portugal the Jews were forced to stay and convert.

Nota Bene: This is NOT a general law of return applicable to pretty near any Jew as in Israel. It applies ONLY to Jews of Portuguese ancestry.........
“Differentiating between Jews whose families were exiled [from] Spain and those who fled Portugal is very difficult,” said Jose Oulman Carp, president of Lisbon’s Jewish community. “Clearly the Jewish communities [of Portugal] will need to be consulted on the screening process and we can provide some input, but the distinction is nearly impossible in many cases.”
Read more: http://www.jta.org/2013/07/11/news-opin ... z2YpRmOTUa
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Endovelico wrote:
So then you wouldn't object to a Celtic, Berber or Arab "law of return" as well?
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Ibrahim wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
So then you wouldn't object to a Celtic, Berber or Arab "law of return" as well?
Celts were never expelled. Berber and Arabs who could prove their ancestors lived in Portugal would be welcome, as far as I am concerned.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Endovelico wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
Celts were never expelled. Berber and Arabs who could prove their ancestors lived in Portugal would be welcome, as far as I am concerned.
Fair enough. Same standards as returning Jews in terms of documentation? I don't know the current process.

Germany does this periodically for other returning Germans, but their standards for documentation were/are notoriously fussy.
monster_gardener

Check the Locks and Land Titles............

Endovelico wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
Thank You Very Much for your post, Endo.

You know the situation in Portugal better than me but........

Recalling that some of descendants of the Moorish invaders expelled by Spain still have the keys to houses they once used...... :shock: :roll:

I imagine most of the locks have been changed since then ;) but it might be wise to make sure that the deeds and land titles are in order and proof against lawsuits as happened after the reunification of Germany when East Germans lost homes that refugees to West Germany had abandoned many years before..... :shock:

Sometimes laws old and new have loopholes which can enable weird and unhappy results......

Might also be wise to see if those returning share Ibrahim's view of what a majority of those who vote can force religiously on non believers or worse.......

And not admit those who do.........*

BTW this was also a subject near and dear to the heart of Osama bin Ladin who bitched about the loss of Andalusia by the Muslim Invaders of Iberia........

Note: Gilbert N. Sullivan ;) reference deleted.......

NOTE: The land title dispute might also apply to Jewish returnees unless the law is well written although I rather doubt that Jews aim converting Portugal to a Jewish state as many Muslims aim at converting Portugal and all the World......

* No guarantee of security....... Have read that in England, often the sons and grandsons are more radical than the fathers and grandfathers....
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Bloomberg | Portugal Secretary of State for Treasury Resigns Over Swaps
Portugal’s Secretary of State for Treasury Joaquim Pais Jorge resigned today following press reports that he helped try to sell derivatives contracts to the previous government that would obscure the state of the country’s accounts when he worked for Citigroup (C) Inc.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Typhoon wrote:Bloomberg | Portugal Secretary of State for Treasury Resigns Over Swaps
Portugal’s Secretary of State for Treasury Joaquim Pais Jorge resigned today following press reports that he helped try to sell derivatives contracts to the previous government that would obscure the state of the country’s accounts when he worked for Citigroup (C) Inc.
What's amazing is that an idiotic prime-minister appointed him in the first place, and that the appointee was dumb enough to think he could get away with it. Next to go will be the equally tainted Minister of Finance...
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Is there much chance of an early election in Portugal?
cultivate a white rose
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Azrael wrote:Is there much chance of an early election in Portugal?
The coalition will do everything they can to avoid it, but the expectable difficulties with the 2014 budget proposal may force early elections in the first half of next year. Unfortunately early elections, just as it happened in Greece, may not clarify things sufficiently. It would be desirable to have a coalition of the socialist party with the two more radical parties to their left, but the socialists, afraid of losing votes to the left, have so far refused any such possibility, which will put them in the unfortunate position of having to get a partner at their right in order to have a majority to rule, after those early elections. The trouble is that the only parties to the right are those which are now in power. A coalition with either of them would mean having to continue the same policies which have proven disastrous. I fear that Portuguese voters are not smart enough to vote themselves out of this dilemma by making a definite choice for the more leftist parties, in order to force the socialists to talk to them rather than with the right. Interesting times ahead...
Endovelico

Opinion poll in Spain

Post by Endovelico »

Endovelico

Catalonia

Post by Endovelico »

Voters' position in respect of Catalonia's independence:

In favour: 52.3%
Against: 24.1%

It seems increasingly probable that Catalonia will choose for independence, something which should be welcome by all Iberian nations.

Should any autonomous region of Spain be allowed to vote in a referendum on independence?

Yes: 80.5%
No: 14.6%

Things are getting clearer.
Endovelico

Independence for Catalonia

Post by Endovelico »

Azrael

Post by Azrael »

I think that Catalonia should be independent.

But then, the Basque Country would probably follow suit. Then perhaps Navarre. Then Galicia. Then Valencia. Then the Illes Balears.

Not necessarily in that order.
cultivate a white rose
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Azrael wrote:I think that Catalonia should be independent.

But then, the Basque Country would probably follow suit. Then perhaps Navarre. Then Galicia. Then Valencia. Then the Illes Balears.

Catalonia (including Valencia and the Baleares), the Basque Country, Galicia and Andalusia should probably become independent. Once that achieved those countries, plus Portugal and what remains of Spain, could create an Iberian Confederation which would finally achieve the goal of an united Iberia, free of hegemonic delusions by the Castilians, capable of playing a significant role in Europe, and serving as a bridge to Latin America. Catalonia is but the first step.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Endovelico wrote:

Catalonia (including Valencia and the Baleares), the Basque Country, Galicia and Andalusia should probably become independent. Once that achieved those countries, plus Portugal and what remains of Spain, could create an Iberian Confederation which would finally achieve the goal of an united Iberia, free of hegemonic delusions by the Castilians, capable of playing a significant role in Europe, and serving as a bridge to Latin America. Catalonia is but the first step.
That might work pretty well. So it could be organized more or less like Switzerland?
cultivate a white rose
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Azrael wrote:
Endovelico wrote:

That might work pretty well. So it could be organized more or less like Switzerland?
Could be.
Endovelico

Catalonia

Post by Endovelico »

The latest opinion poll in Catalonia

The interesting things are:

1. The independentist republican left party ERC would become the largest party in Catalonia.
2. The national party in government, PP, would almost disappear.
3. 71% of the people want a referendum on independence, which however doesn't mean that they all would be in favour of independence.

It will be almost impossible for the central government not to accept such a referendum taking place. Catalonia will become independent, which is good for the Iberian nations as a whole.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Azrael wrote:.

I think that Catalonia should be independent.

Within European "Schengen space", am not sure what INDEPENDENCE for a province means ? ? ?

Now, except "foreign and military" policy, the rest, these days, decided by provinces anyway

Catalonia more and less already 90% independent .. the 10% rest would not change much

Did splitting czechoslovakia into Czeck and Slovak change much ? .. not much

noddy

Post by noddy »

deary me endo, still want that latin europe thing ?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/d ... nstrations
Spain has approved draft legislation for fines of up to €30,000 (£25,000) for offences such as burning the national flag, insulting the state or causing serious disturbances outside parliament.
It does, however, include four new offences, which are classified as very serious and could carry fines of up to €600,000. They are: demonstrations that interfere in electoral processes; unauthorised or prohibited protests at strategic installations such as airports or nuclear plants; and aiming blinding lights – such as laser beams – at public transportation. Any person who commits three lesser offences within two years will also be in line for a maximum fine.

The bill must be approved by parliament, but its passage is virtually guaranteed as the ruling party has an absolute majority in both chambers.
to be clear, i dont really believe in protests because i dont think they are effective but on the other hand its somewhat dubious if you can only complain about government with government approval :)
ultracrepidarian
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

noddy wrote:deary me endo, still want that latin europe thing ?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/d ... nstrations
Fortunately the present Spanish government is not representative of latin people's view of the world. As we will find out at the next Spanish general elections...