Evolution

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
noddy

Re: Evolution

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:50 am I've been fascinated with the recent-ish finding of the full skeltal remains of the Adalatherium
all the gondwana animals are fascinating, Australias crazy collection and how they faired in South America and India when they bumped into the northern hemisphere ones, its all just begging for more details.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Did any of 'em fare well?
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:03 am Did any of 'em fare well?
Parrots have pretty much dominated everywhere they get to - smart and aggressive are winners every time.

the marsupials didnt do very well, a couple held on in South America.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Wouldn't it be birds in general be easy mode here. They made out all right considering how much seeding occurred from the south -> north direction.

The elephants did okay-- had a pretty good run everywhere with the obvious exceptions-- until recently.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Marsupials- don't forgot the Virginian Opossum, eater of ticks.

Frankly, the Marsupial lost out due to aesthetic reasons. The whole carrying the young in poaches in disgusting; once these creatures were exposed to how others did it, most of them died of shame. :)
NapLajoieonSteroids

What I really had in mind though were the monotremes, like the Adalatherium. They got absolutely crushed by the changes, and barely hang on in the land of relics.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

More marsupial adaptation
DE4BC08C-D8E7-4A9C-8A3A-3610A0A2392B.jpeg
DE4BC08C-D8E7-4A9C-8A3A-3610A0A2392B.jpeg (110.9 KiB) Viewed 155095 times
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:33 pm What I really had in mind though were the monotremes, like the Adalatherium. They got absolutely crushed by the changes, and barely hang on in the land of relics.
yes, Monotremes are real oddball mammals, fascinating.

the advantage of the marsupials in Australia, which possibly/probably isnt as big an advantage elsewhere is zero commitment to your offspring.

Monotremes and Placental Mammals both have a full commitment to growing the fetus into a child, either packing all that nutrient into the egg, or carrying the fetus until its a child inside them as a mother.

Marsupials give birth to a fetus, put it in their pocket and then if conditions go bad, they throw it away, zero commitment, which lets the adult survive a place prone to droughts and firestorms.
Last edited by noddy on Thu May 20, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:21 pm More marsupial adaptation

DE4BC08C-D8E7-4A9C-8A3A-3610A0A2392B.jpeg
Shades of Total Recall and Alien.......
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:22 am Marsupials- don't forgot the Virginian Opossum, eater of ticks.

Frankly, the Marsupial lost out due to aesthetic reasons. The whole carrying the young in poaches in disgusting; once these creatures were exposed to how others did it, most of them died of shame. :)
Nah, women carrying their newborns around cuts down on their sexual appeal and mating opportunities.... due to the male self-preservation instinct. ;)

Never heard of them referred to as Vinginian Opossums. I just assumed they are pretty much everywhere.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:53 am
Never heard of them referred to as Vinginian Opossums. I just assumed they are pretty much everywhere.
Marsupials dont even have much virginian
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:53 am Never heard of them referred to as Vinginian Opossums. I just assumed they are pretty much everywhere.
Yeah, they do get around. :)

But that's the name I've heard when using the full o-possum instead of jus' callin' them possums.

The interesting thing about the name is it has to be among the first words to pass from the Powhatan indians to the English colonists. John Smith of Pocohantas fame is one of the two sources of what the Indians called it and he had it written down as opassom whereas the other source had it as aposoum.

According to the online etymology, it's a a proto-Algonquian term meaning 'white dog' or 'white faced dog'.

Which really makes me wonder what the dogs were like.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:53 am
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:22 am Marsupials- don't forgot the Virginian Opossum, eater of ticks.

Nah, women carrying their newborns around cuts down on their sexual appeal and mating opportunities.... due to the male self-preservation instinct. ;)

Don't forget about their West Vagina 'awepossum" cousins either.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

The evolution of a defensive gland in beetles shows how organs can arise from novel cells carving out new functional niches for their neighbors.
https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-do-n ... -20210816/
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

Interesting, thanks.
ultracrepidarian
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Possum (Australian Cutie) - "Fancy a Nutella and toast with your tea, mate?? ".....

Opossum (American Freaky) - "Whattaya mean you can't take my EBT card??!!".......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
NapLajoieonSteroids

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:21 pm

Possum (Australian Cutie) - "Fancy a Nutella and toast with your tea, mate?? ".....

Opossum (American Freaky) - "Whattaya mean you can't take my EBT card??!!".......
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

The wide angle lens make that possum look ginormous!

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:30 pm The evolution of a defensive gland in beetles shows how organs can arise from novel cells carving out new functional niches for their neighbors.
Evolution through co-dependence! Sounds like the woke and sleeper cells share a common destiny :P If you commit a sin, I'll look the other way. Maybe a good model for the origins of forgiveness.
Deep down I'm very superficial
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:30 pm The evolution of a defensive gland in beetles shows how organs can arise from novel cells carving out new functional niches for their neighbors.
interesting.
ultracrepidarian
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

noddy wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:54 am
interesting.
An example of exaptation........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:37 pm
Mr. Perfect wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:21 pm
Colonel Sun wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:26 am might have
Lol you do this in almost every other post.
Popular speculations about how life evolved out of a soup of chemicals on the early Earth often focus on the origins of DNA and RNA, the molecules of genetic information. But the genesis of genes is only one of the mysteries that origin-of-life theories must reckon with. Another is the rise of metabolism — the biochemical processes inside cells that make life possible by continuously drawing energy from the environment and directing it into the assembly of vital molecules. It’s a complex problem on which there has been little headway.
You could say no headway.

Here is why.

1:23:48 it's not possible

ADiql3FG5is
As I'm familiar with QM and somewhat familiar with QM biology, would you list the specific time points that you believe supports your assertion.
The introduction was cringe inducing beyond words.
I did. 1:23:48
Censorship isn't necessary
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

I find it easier to believe that evolution happened thanks to natural processes than by some metaphysical watchmaker intervening or driving natural processes. More likely we just still have a too limited understanding of how natural processes operate and what they are capable of. But more importantly, "natural processes" almost certainly are quite different from how they appear to be to us. By necessity our perception and imagery of the physical world are anthropomorphic because it is in our human brains that a representation of it arises. This representation is the only world we know. A "natural process" is not the same process when no human being would be around to observe that same process. Completely different babies, I have zero doubts about that.
Deep down I'm very superficial
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh. its the best explanation we have, its a long way away frrom being the final correct explanation
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Darwin, Social Darwinism, and Genocide

Post by Doc »

https://www.academia.edu/35550879/The_S ... card=title
The Social Weapon: Darwinism

Adnan Oktar (Harun Yahya) The twentieth century was one of the darkest and most deadly in all of human history. Vast amounts of blood were spilled and people subjected to the most terrible fear and oppression. Such dictators as Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot inflicted genocide on millions. Hitler had those whom he regarded as “useless” exterminated in the gas chambers. Hundreds of thousands of people in many Western countries—from Great Britain to Germany, from the USA to Sweden—were compulsorily sterilized or left to die just for being sick, crippled or old. All over the world, people were oppressed and exploited because of ruthless competition. Racism became the ideology of certain states, and some races were not even regarded as human at all. Because of the conflicts and hot and cold wars between East and West, the peoples of communist and capitalist countries, and even brothers, became one another's enemies. The main point not generally realized, however, is the nature of the ideological foundation that propelled the 20th century towards such disruption, chaos, war and conflict, and gave rise to such hatred and enmity. The groundwork of this ideological foundation was laid by the British economist Thomas Malthus. This twisted concept, widely accepted by people far removed from religious moral values, was further strengthened by another Briton, the sociologist Herbert Spencer, and disseminated by the theory of evolution put forward by yet another Englishman, Charles Darwin. As dictated by the ideology they advocate, these three figures entirely ignored such religious moral virtues as cooperation, altruism, protecting the poor and weak, and regarding all human beings as equal. In contrast, they proposed the falsehood that life is a battlefield, that the oppression and even extermination of the poor and those races whom they regarded as “inferior” was justified; that as a result of that pitiless struggle, the “fittest” would survive and the rest would be eliminated—and that all this would lead to human “progress.”
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros