The politics, culture, and business of science

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Doc

Re: The politics, culture, and business of science

Post by Doc »

crashtech66 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:30 pm One thing I have learned from practically applying systematic methodologies to problems is that even negative results need to be consistently reproducible, which often feels like a huge waste of time.
Reminds me of the time a very young test technician came to me and told me he needed help because the circuit boards he was testing did not like him. I asked him why. He said that every time he plugged one in and turned on the power a "Little part"(a transistor) would blow up and the pieces would hit him in the face. I asked him how many times that had happened. He said about 6 times. :roll: I would say that was consistently negative results that were reproducible. :lol:

It turned out that the board assembly company had installed the transistors backwards.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

I once did a bunch of work with a local uni and it was one of the most cutthroat political situations Ive seen.

Lots of egotistical academics, a known, but fixed, pool of money that had to be split between them and no holds barred warfare to increase your allocation.

So much back stabbing and venom, it was mindboggling.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:35 am I once did a bunch of work with a local uni and it was one of the most cutthroat political situations Ive seen.

Lots of egotistical academics, a known, but fixed, pool of money that had to be split between them and no holds barred warfare to increase your allocation.

So much back stabbing and venom, it was mindboggling.
Quite.
"The reason that university politics is so vicious is because the stakes are so small."

~ Henry Kissinger
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

75543511_2577265859161862_6590277348891820032_o.jpg
75543511_2577265859161862_6590277348891820032_o.jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 4456 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Improb Reas | Where There Are Girls, There Are Cats
In this study, we provided robust estimates of free-ranging cat density in 30 universities in Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, China. We found that the population density of free-ranging cats is linearly related to the proportion of female students in the university. An online questionnaire confirmed that human females were more concerned about the living conditions of free-ranging cats than human males in China. By contrast, a socialization test on 27 free-ranging cats suggests that the cats may have the ability to distinguish human sex and adopt a sociable skill to human females.
In response to the social media outrage in the West, the paper was retracted by the publisher, not the authors.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Times Higher Ed | How academia shunned the science behind the Covid vaccine [paywalled]
February 8, 2021

Paul Basken

Twitter: @pbasken

Dr. Katalin Kariko, 65, the Hungarian born scientist whose work has become the cornerstone in the creation of the Covid-19 vaccine in the lab in the basement of her house.

[image: Katalin Karikó persisted for decades in her belief that mRNA could be fashioned into a powerful medical tool.]

As the miracle behind the coronavirus vaccine grows increasingly clear, one US university is left to consider another potentially transformative discovery: why it jilted its inventor.

Many of the Covid inoculations now being conducted around the world were made possible by techniques painstakingly developed at the University of Pennsylvania for manipulating messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA), a molecule in living cells essential to gene-copying processes.

Penn, however, is alleged to have repeatedly thrown roadblocks in the way of a chief innovator, Katalin Karikó, a soft-spoken Hungarian scientist who persisted for decades in her belief that mRNA could be fashioned into a powerful medical tool.

That determination is now paying off not only with vaccines against Covid-19, but with hopes of powerful new mRNA-based cures for cancers and other diseases.

Academic honours are already arriving for a discovery widely expected to prove Nobel-calibre. In one of the first, Brandeis University and the Rosenstiel Foundation named Dr Karikó and her research partner Drew Weissman as the 2021 winners of its Rosenstiel Award for Distinguished Work in Basic Medical Research.

In its announcement, Brandeis touched only lightly on the obstacles involved. The award recognises “persistence despite setbacks”, said James Haber, a Brandeis professor of biology and director of the Rosenstiel Basic Medical Sciences Research Center.

But a fuller backstory, to the degree that Penn and others allow it to come out, raises the prospect for academic research of high-profile pressure in key areas of long-standing concern. They include the federal funding of basic science, the academy’s treatment of its lesser privileged, and the structural biases inside governmental and journal peer review processes.

Dr Karikó has been reluctant to talk publicly about matters other than the science. During a recent round-table discussion hosted by Perry World House, a global affairs centre at Penn, she demurred when asked to reflect on her sudden prominence. “I’m more comfortable to be in the lab, and reading, or doing something, than in the limelight,” she answered, with a few uneasy waves of her hands.

In published interviews before the public glare grew more intense, she did acknowledge some frustration with the years of rejections from funders, journals and Penn. Key points included numerous grant application rejections, her demotion to an adjunct position in 1995 after a few initial years of work on mRNA, and her 2013 departure for BioNTech – now a celebrated maker of a leading Covid vaccine – to what she described as words of sarcastic ridicule from Penn leadership.

Bart Anderson, a biomedical scientist who worked with Dr Karikó during his doctoral studies at Penn, said that the novelty of mRNA research was probably a major obstacle to her career success.

But networks of professional connections and English communication skills are critical to success in academic research, Dr Anderson said.

“Dr Karikó provided superb science,” he said. “But she is not the skilled salesman needed to promote the science.

“If the ideas that Dr Karikó was investigating had come from someone with an established and influential network,” Dr Anderson continued, “then I am confident that the uptake of those ideas would have been far different from what Dr Karikó experienced.”

Penn, as an institution, and leaders in the departments where Dr Karikó worked, have largely declined to discuss what happened. Some said that they were not aware of the overall situation, or warned against trying to look back with the benefit of 2021’s hindsight.

Harvey Friedman, a professor of medicine at Penn who served as director of the Division of Infectious Diseases from 1990 to 2012, said that he remembers Dr Karikó and Professor Weissman regularly briefing their colleagues on their mRNA experiments.

“On numerous occasions after Drew and Kati’s presentations,” he said, “I remember going to Drew’s office and commenting that I didn’t understand why his work was not being published in Nature, Cell or Science, the leading basic science journals. His responses were that no one believed the data.”

Professor Weissman, a professor of medicine at Penn, and Ebbing Lautenbach, a professor of medicine who succeeded Professor Friedman as director of infectious diseases, are among several who – in addition to Dr Karikó – declined to discuss the matter.

A spokesperson for Penn’s medical school said that the work by Dr Karikó and Professor Weissman that helped enable the Covid vaccines was “a tremendous point of pride for the University of Pennsylvania”.

“We are unable to discuss specifics about faculty or staff matters,” the spokesperson said, “but we are grateful for Dr Karikó’s important contributions both during her time at Penn – where she continues to hold an appointment as an adjunct associate professor – and in her present role at BioNTech.”

Scientific journals and government peer review panels also keep their proceedings mostly hidden from external assessments.

Cases such as that of Dr Karikó are hopefully getting less common, Brandeis’ Professor Haber said, as federal grant-awarding agencies put greater emphasis on encouraging “high risk” proposals.

And such situations are tough to read from the outside, said Tobin Smith, vice-president for policy at the Association of American Universities, the leading group of US research institutions.

But well-known problems that the Penn case might ultimately help highlight, he said, include the reluctance among funding agencies to risk money on novel technologies, and personal familiarities affecting peer review decisions.

It’s also notoriously difficult to predict the direction or value of basic scientific research years or decades ahead of time, Mr Smith said. The many important cautionary examples, he said, include Charles Townes, whose government-funded experiments at Columbia University into light’s interactions with atoms earned him some criticism at the time, followed by his invention of the laser and a Nobel prize.

“It’s absolutely hard to know exactly what the results of certain work will be,” Mr Smith said. “It’s one of the reasons why we argue that you need to fund a strong base of fundamental research.”

paul.basken@timeshighereducation.com
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

The best funded team will win the race to the bottom! (tm)
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

The thread linked to is worth checking out. It's a series of quotes from a paper which does a complete 180 at the very end.
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect as far as the eye can see.

over centuries the hard sciences have managed to create a falsification system (as beloved by mr p) which has been tested for decades.

all the rest is just statistics and predjudices, with the "halo" of science.

when i was a brat, social studies wasnt called a science, somehow its now "science has proved" ..
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy

Post by noddy »

its a pleasant thought but with the modern technocrat world being "evidence based policy" its not going to happen in a million years.

the only things which arent political are irrelevant.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:32 am its a pleasant thought but with the modern technocrat world being "evidence based policy" its not going to happen in a million years.
Quite.
noddy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:32 am the only things which arent political are irrelevant.
Not clear to me.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Chron Higher Ed | Is the Pirate Queen of Scientific Publishing in Real Trouble This Time? [paywalled, ironically]
By Tom Bartlett | June 28, 2021

It’s been a rough few months for Sci-Hub, the beloved outlaw repository of scientific papers. In January its Twitter account, which had more than 180,000 followers, was permanently suspended. In response to a lawsuit brought by publishers, new papers aren’t being added to its library. The website is blocked in a dozen countries, including Austria, Britain, and France. There are rumors of an FBI investigation.

And yet Alexandra Elbakyan, the 32-year-old graduate student who founded the site in 2011, seems more or less unfazed. I spoke with her recently via Zoom with the assistance of a Russian translator. Elbakyan, who is originally from Kazakhstan, has a bachelor’s degree in computer science and coded Sci-Hub herself. She lives in Moscow now and is studying philosophy at the Russian Academy of Sciences. Back when she started the site, which offers access to north of 85 million papers, she didn’t expect to be fending off lawsuits and dodging investigations a decade on.

“I thought Sci-Hub would become legal in a couple of years,” she said. “When the laws are obviously in the way of scientific development, they should be canceled.”

It hasn’t been that simple. In 2017 a New York judge awarded Elsevier, the multibillion-dollar publishing company behind more than 2,500 journals, a $15-million default judgment against Sci-Hub for copyright infringement. The same year, a Virginia judge awarded the American Chemical Society $4.8 million. (With Elbakyan overseas and Sci-Hub’s financial situation somewhat mysterious, neither publisher is likely to collect a dime.) Courts have repeatedly forced Elbakyan to switch domain names.

The latest lawsuit, filed in India by three academic publishers, including Elsevier, asks the High Court of Delhi to block access to Sci-Hub throughout the country. While the case is pending, the court has instructed Sci-Hub to stop uploading papers to its database. The order is not unusual; what’s surprising is that Elbakyan has complied. She has a history of ignoring legal rulings, and the Indian court has no power over Sci-Hub’s activities in other countries. So why has she chosen, at this moment, to give in?

One reason is that Elbakyan believes she has a shot at winning the case, and her odds might improve if she plays by the rules. “I want the Indian court to finally support free access to science,” she said. If that happened, it would mark a significant victory for Sci-Hub, with reverberations likely beyond India. Victory remains a longshot, but Elbakyan thinks it’s worth the hassle and expense. She didn’t even bother to contest the two lawsuits in the United States.

In coverage of Sci-Hub over the years, Elbakyan is usually cast as an idealistic young programmer standing up to publishers who resell science at a steep markup. There’s some truth to that. Elsevier brings in billions in large part by charging colleges and universities for bundled access to its journals. Those without subscriptions often pay $31.50 for access to a single article. For an independent researcher, or one who works at a small institution that can’t afford to sign a deal with Elsevier, the cost of merely scanning the literature is prohibitive.

And you could argue, as Elbakyan does, that the company’s paywalls have the potential to slow scientific progress. She’s not the only one: More than 18,000 researchers have signed on to a boycott of Elsevier journals because of its business practices.

The other option is to download a journal article’s PDF from Sci-Hub free. About a half-million people each day choose the latter.
Pirates and Publishers

So what’s wrong with using Sci-Hub? According to the publishers who brought the case in India, quite a bit. Pirate sites like Sci-Hub “threaten the integrity of the scientific record, and the safety of university and personal data,” a joint statement reads. It goes on to say that sites like Sci-Hub “have no incentive to ensure the accuracy of scientific articles, no incentive to ensure published papers meet ethical standards, and no incentive to retract or correct articles if issues arise.”

For the record, there’s little evidence that Sci-Hub is actually a threat to the scientific record. The papers on the site are the same papers you can download through official channels. It’s almost certainly true that articles that have been retracted or corrected remain up on Sci-Hub, but academic publishers themselves have a less-than-stellar record of policing and pruning the literature. Plenty of research that has failed to replicate, or should never have passed peer review in the first place, can be found in Elsevier’s archives.

The charge that Sci-Hub is a threat to personal data stems from Elbakyan’s practice of using, let us say, borrowed logins in order to download papers. That’s necessary because whenever publishers determine that a login is being used to download an unusual number of papers, they cut off access, forcing Elbakyan to constantly seek new logins. She’s done this for years and makes no secret of it. The publishers also allege that she uses “phishing attacks to illegally extract copyrighted journal articles.”

Elbakyan denies employing phishing attacks — that is, sending emails that trick people into revealing their login information — but allows that some of the accounts Sci-Hub has used might have been obtained with that technique. “I cannot check the exact source of the account that I receive by email,” she said. There’s no indication that Sci-Hub is using the logins for some other nefarious purpose.

Even so, courts have found that what Sci-Hub does isn’t legal. The question is whether, in the cause of sharing scientific information, her systematic ransacking of academic publishing is justified. In short, is Elbakyan doing more good than harm?

Peter Suber has mixed feelings about Sci-Hub. Suber is director of the Harvard Open Access Project and a longtime opponent of the corporate status quo in scientific publishing. He worried early on that Sci-Hub would give the open-access movement a bad name by creating the impression that the only two options are publishers making billions or straight-up piracy.

He’s somewhat less concerned about that impression these days. “I think most people understand that it’s unlawful and that there are a lot of ways to do the same thing, even though the lawful methods aren’t providing as much access to literature as quickly and conveniently,” he said. While he opposes Sci-Hub, he defends Elbakyan, who he argues has been unfairly maligned. He thinks her handling of the lawsuit in India has been savvy. “If she loses, she’s not going to shut down,” he said. “But if she wins, then Sci-Hub will be legal in at least one country.”

Considering the constant legal threats, Elbakyan is understandably cagey about revealing too much about Sci-Hub — for instance, the locations of its servers or exact details about its finances. She said that while she gets some help, Sci-Hub remains pretty much a one-woman show (it’s “mainly me,” she said). Early on she received donations via PayPal, but those accounts have since been frozen. At the moment, the only way to support Sci-Hub is with Bitcoin donations. It’s been reported that at one point Sci-Hub may have owned 94 Bitcoins, which at today’s prices would be worth $3 million.

Elbakyan didn’t say how much Sci-Hub has socked away, though she suggested she’s not sitting on a fortune. “I remember when Bitcoin increased to $5,000, I thought to myself, ‘Wow, I’m rich,’ and I bought new servers for Sci-Hub,” she said. “I was spending money as the donations were coming in.” She said that running Sci-Hub’s servers costs several thousand dollars per month. Elbakyan hopes to set up a fund-raising site soon, but lately she’s been preoccupied with her studies and her legal battles.

Among the many grateful users of Sci-Hub, Elbakyan has become something of a celebrity. Last year she added a GIF of herself to the site’s download page. It shows her waving her hand and wearing a shirt with the word “Send” printed on the front. After that she was deluged with emails — several thousand, she estimated — a number of which were “very long and elaborate.” She received a colored-pencil portrait from a fan in Bangladesh. Some messages compared her to Saraswati, the Hindu goddess of knowledge. Many fans just said they couldn’t do their research without the site.

Elbakyan’s online notoriety doesn’t affect her everyday life much. She’s found that fellow scholars in the humanities, for the most part, have never heard of Sci-Hub. They don’t know that the philosophy student sitting next to them in class is a pariah to publishers or that she’s embroiled in a legal dispute on another continent over the future of scientific publishing. “Sometimes I meet people that really admire the project, and they recognize me,” she said. “But it’s very few people.”

Tom Bartlett
Tom Bartlett is a senior writer who covers science and ideas. Follow him on Twitter @tebartl.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Free Press - Patrick Brown| I Left Out the Full Truth to Get My Climate Change Paper Published
I just got published in Nature* because I stuck to a narrative I knew the editors would like. That’s not the way science should work.
If you’ve been reading any news about wildfires this summer—from Canada to Europe to Maui—you will surely get the impression that they are mostly the result of climate change. . . .

*Nature is held to be the most prestigious science journal.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Nature has been corrupted like JAMA & Lancet. Academic science needs to be reworked.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

It is a mystery to me how a small minority of wokeries can make these enormous waves in society as a whole, claiming grounds even in the editors room of Nature! Probably most of it is just virtue signalling, but how did this become a perceived necessity to secure career positions and inflows of money? Or did woke culture really spread to such an extent among young people leaving universaties that you better stick to the new narrative...

Or is it that a minority of woke, climate change fear mongering Priests manage to get hired into key positions all over the place? At some point however...before they occupied these key positions.. there were people who started hiring them. I suspect they were women with tweaked-warped maternal instincts overriding rational thought. From then on its fear of the Matriarch and respect for Madre Maria playing the male instinct, the fear of being a bad-boy not getting a cookie and missing out on Mom's Hug. Probably too much Dr. Phil here... :)
Deep down I'm very superficial
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

American intelligence services use academia to place assets all over the world. Academics who do not comply are not funded, or are censored out by ‘peer review’.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:09 am American intelligence services use academia to place assets all over the world. Academics who do not comply are not funded, or are censored out by ‘peer review’.
But why did they choose Wokery as the medium and message, the fertile garden and tool? Or are the Intelligence Services infiltrated by wokey women who see it as a chance they can't let go by to create Global Matriarchy Behind the Scenes, teach all the Bad Boys a lesson they'll never forget?
Deep down I'm very superficial
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Parodite wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:18 am
Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:09 am American intelligence services use academia to place assets all over the world. Academics who do not comply are not funded, or are censored out by ‘peer review’.
But why did they choose Wokery as the medium and message, the fertile garden and tool? Or are the Intelligence Services infiltrated by wokey women who see it as a chance they can't let go by to create Global Matriarchy Behind the Scenes, teach all the Bad Boys a lesson they'll never forget?
My guess is control and Cloward Piven. They support non-creative scientists willing to provide results that support a political agenda in exchange for a steady stream of grant funding.

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

to become a scientist one must graduate from the modern western schooling system

its more of a quesiton of how we ever get unwoke ones than the other way round.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Schooling selects for agreeableness and conscientiousness; and increasingly, for the status-anxious substrate among those who will jump through every hoop lest they be thought as stupid (in my experience)-- a fate worst than death.

Then the philosophy of the day is idealism. One is what/how one thinks underlines everything; heck, even our leftists have gone full circle and they are back at the young hegelian phase.