Australia + New Zealand | The Antipodes

NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Australia + New Zealand | The Antipodes

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

So New Zealand police are apparently contacting websites to hand over all identifying information of every user who viewed, uploaded/ downloaded or commented upon any footage or the psycho's manifesto. Some sites, like kiwifarms, have been asked to turn over all IPs, all email addresses and preserve all posts even discussing the issue pending further legal action.

Kiwi Farms board owner told them that he felt really sorry for New Zealanders but to f*ck off and that anyone who cooperates with them is a coward and durian.

While Kiwi Farms may not cooperate, I imagine everyone caught up in the dragnet is going on some type of Five Eyes List.
NapLajoieonSteroids

And it's working, at least upon the people it was directed at.

This sick guy planned this maximize carnage long after the incident.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
And it's working, at least upon the people it was directed at.

This sick guy planned this maximize carnage long after the incident.
Yep. Intentionally, very similar to what Jussie Smollett tried to do. Use the Useful Idiots in the MSM to carry your water for you. Tis a bizarre world. Gun as minor force multiplier, media and internet as major force multipliers.

The hate speech/hate crime posturing will be going on for a long time regarding this incident.

Reality: Crazy guy dos insane thing.
MSM: "OMG!!! What does how I choose to interpret and present this incident say about our society?"
Me: "not much. but it says a lot about your intentions and interpretation of the world."
noddy

Post by noddy »

somewhere in me is a huge rant that the only thing right wing about the people getting called "alt right" is that they are all ex unionist lefties who are angry at the national governments abandoning them.

i doubt this rant would have much of an audience outside the regular right wing echo chambers tho, the death of the middle class worker isnt an interesting topic to them unless its a stick to attack capitalism with.

oooh, accelerationism.

I do fear that its always going to get analysed through the lens of racism and intolerance when I suspect its a depressed, detached bleakness at the future - somewhere between a 1/3 and 1/2 the population is getting pretty clear signals the future doesnt want or need them and not all of them are going to suicide politely.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:somewhere in me is a huge rant that the only thing right wing about the people getting called "alt right" is that they are all ex unionist lefties who are angry at the national governments abandoning them.

i doubt this rant would have much of an audience outside the regular right wing echo chambers tho, the death of the middle class worker isnt an interesting topic to them unless its a stick to attack capitalism with.

oooh, accelerationism.
There is this thread of social strife and agony running through right-wing humanism, for a long time now.

I was joking in the climate change thread about the pyro-political stuff and the Jünger brothers...and it just clicked as something I couldn't quite put my finger on. These aren't old right-ies who believe that the world revolves around order [divine or otherwise]; and they aren't quite the lefties who see conflict as part and parcel for the revolutionary utopia right around the corner. Conflict for the latter two is political.

Theirs is the line of thinking that conflict is the very foundation of nature and nature is an agonist.

99% of the people who think this way don't turn out like the gunman above or whatever 'X' group that's running around out there causing mayhem; but it's just an assumed, unquestioned proposition throughout their writings, when they speak, how they organize things.

And it's filtered down-- sometimes from sources similiar to the Jüngers or from Nietzsche or Heraclitus or whomever gets read by someone in right wing circles-- like a germ passed around.
noddy

Post by noddy »

chaos for the sake of chaos, a vision of the future so bleak that setting it on fire is the only option.

somewhat similar to the Muslim terrorists in that its the backlash of the ones who see no place for themselves in the globalist middle class, the modern world doesnt need arab warriors and nor does it need factory workers.

darknight joker is perhaps the recent pop philosophy that contains that germ.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:chaos for the sake of chaos, a vision of the future so bleak that setting it on fire is the only option.
that does sound like a new denomination of an old religion being formed and promoted doesn't it? Pisshimism? Fuckmeism?
noddy wrote:somewhat similar to the Muslim terrorists in that its the backlash of the ones who see no place for themselves in the globalist middle class, the modern world doesnt need arab warriors and nor does it need factory workers.

darknight joker is perhaps the recent pop philosophy that contains that germ.
more shrooms and words please......
noddy

Post by noddy »

well, its based off the line of thought that the muslim terrorists arent the dumb villager types, especially not the organisers, they are the ones that have usually had western education and sometimes also lived in the west.

they took a good long look at globalised modernity and realised their version of reality wasnt a good fit, turning it into an all or nothing explosion against the inevitable - - life and death for their very culture.

I suspect alot of optimism has gone out of the west in the last 20 years and plenty of kids who arent fit for the service industry nor the science/engineering industries are feeling much the same way - boomer parents who expected a life long progress of improvements raising kids who watched a life long decrease in their living standards.

immigrants (or tourists in the muslim terrorist case) are the globalisation you can get your hands on , its a bleak situation and their is no fixing it because the governments all secretly agree that they have no idea about what the hell happens to folks who arent cut out to be worker drones in the city.

hence, right wing terrorism is the torch bearer for the next escalation in surveillance state authoritarianism and control.

its not like anyone from the political right or left gives a flying lavender about angry goat herders or unemployed working class idiots, everyone knows that... hence the reactions from both sides for the inevitable decades ahead.

---

to be clear, I dont think of dumb villagers or durian workers, I just feel its correct for alot of our ruling class opinoins.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

struck me while driving today, it is like road sign propagation in the US. It used to be painted lines, stop signs, route numbers signs and a few distance markers. now it's reflectors everywhere, STOP SIGN AHEAD signs, digital signs BROCKPORT 7 MILES 10 MINUTES, SNOW REDUCE SPEED, and lots of signs with the slashed circles.

expectations are constantly changing. the old ideology of "Life's tough. Suck it up Buttercup! Do the right thing (according to me) and you will be better off in Heaven." is a tough sell these days. long term used to be years, now it is seconds.

then: "I have not heard from Fred in two weeks. He must be busy.'
now: "I can't believe you did not respond to the text I sent 3 minutes ago. Are you dead?"

now that the wolves, bears, and fatal childhood diseases don't weigh on our minds so much, we need more isms and its. some are real and some aren't. pessimism and optimism are like an ice cream store that only sells chocolate and vanilla. not a big consumer base.

then:
"You're all out of breath? Why?"
"I got chased by a bear on my way to school."
or
"Dad made me mow the lawn even though it's 80 degrees out."
Paul Erlich and mass starvation.

now:"You're all out of breath? Why?"
"I read a post from a _____ist on my way to school."
or
"I aw word that triggered me."
obese people are victim of pizzaism and food deserts.

not to say the things you mention are not real problems, but experts have a horrible record of predicting future problems and solving them. the days of the mountains and rivers separating us from the others is over. now that our tribe is no long defined by a 1/2 mile radius, we are more insignificant than ever.

information overload. how to separate the internal fears from the external threats? imagination vs. reality. tougher than ever to tell the difference due to modern tech. when it comes to Fred's reality vs. Joe's imagination, I don't expect much common ground.

maybe I'm the victim of "CruiseControlism." ;)
Last edited by Simple Minded on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:well, its based off the line of thought that the muslim terrorists arent the dumb villager types, especially not the organisers, they are the ones that have usually had western education and sometimes also lived in the west.

they took a good long look at globalised modernity and realised their version of reality wasnt a good fit, turning it into an all or nothing explosion against the inevitable - - life and death for their very culture.
True nuff. I recall my Muslim, or is it Moslem friend with a PhD saying the war on terror was less about Western physical presence in the Middle East and more about Western Cultural influence in Middle Eastern culture via the internet.

Rationalization is the religion of ultimate refuge.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:struck me while driving today, it is like road sign propagation in the US. It used to be painted lines, stop signs, route numbers signs and a few distance markers. now it's reflectors everywhere, STOP SIGN AHEAD signs, digital signs BROCKPORT 7 MILES 10 MINUTES, SNOW REDUCE SPEED, and lots of signs with the slashed circles.

expectations are constantly changing. the old ideology of "Life's tough. Suck it up Buttercup! Do the right thing (according to me) and you will be better off in Heaven." is a tough sell these days. long term used to be years, now it is seconds.

then: "I have not heard from Fred in two weeks. He must be busy.'
now: "I can't believe you did not respond to the text I sent 3 minutes ago. Are you dead?"

now that the wolves, bears, and fatal childhood diseases don't weigh on our minds so much, we need more isms and its. some are real and some aren't. pessimism and optimism are like an ice cream store that only sells chocolate and vanilla. not a big consumer base.

then:
"You're all out of breath? Why?"
"I got chased by a bear on my way to school."
or
"Dad made me mow the lawn even though it's 80 degrees out."
Paul Erlich and mass starvation.

now:"You're all out of breath? Why?"
"I read a post from a _____ist on my way to school."
or
"I aw word that triggered me."
obese people are victim of pizzaism and food deserts.

not to say the things you mention are not real problems, but experts have a horrible record of predicting future problems and solving them. the days of the mountains and rivers separating us from the others is over. now that our tribe is no long defined by a 1/2 mile radius, we are more insignificant than ever.

information overload. how to separate the internal fears from the external threats? imagination vs. reality. tougher than ever to tell the difference due to modern tech. when it comes to Fred's reality vs. Joe's imagination, I don't expect much common ground.

maybe I'm the victim of "CruiseControlism." ;)
the endlessly flexable do well in all systems, this is not about the end of the world or rationality, its about expectations for the future.

its about the end of middle class lifestyles for folks who arent passive aggresive sales/office types , who before globalisation could achieve a certain level of comfort with labouring work or factory work.

america and australia have suburbs full of them and they make up this new alt-right group which up until recently, were unionised and voted democrat , until their towns turned into rusting ghost towns.

they dont strike me as having much political dogma or belief beyond not wanting to keep on going backwards - being told "learn to code" isnt particularly useful.

most of em are drinking and druggin themselves into oblivion quietly but some of them are going to pop and across millions and billions of people, that means quite a few.
Last edited by noddy on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:well, its based off the line of thought that the muslim terrorists arent the dumb villager types, especially not the organisers, they are the ones that have usually had western education and sometimes also lived in the west.

True nuff. I recall my Muslim, or is it Moslem friend with a PhD saying the war on terror was less about Western physical presence in the Middle East and more about Western Cultural influence in Middle Eastern culture via the internet.

if you have spent your whole life being cool by one set of rules, its hard for some folks to accept new rules which declare you stupid and irrelevant.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
....this is not about the end of the world or rationality, its about expectations for the future.....

most of em are drinking and druggin themselves into oblivion quietly but some of them are going to pop and across millions and billions of people, that means quite a few.
my point exactly.

How to manage expectations? Religion only seems to work for some people.

Seems experts fail in countries with populations of 4 million or more. They fail even more spectacularly in countries of over 325 million. The search for the magical "we" continues. "They" always f**k it up!
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote:or is it Moslem
I've read that the "o" spelling is an insulting play on words of some antiquity which then got passed along as "the" spelling through western Christian sources&languages. In Arabic, the long o-z pronunciation of "Moslem" as found in English, is at root, a way of calling someone unjust and evil.

You can say it's the 9th century equivalent of (successful?) sh!tposting-polemic culture. :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-19/ ... s/10915246
"If they can write an algorithm to make sure that the ads they want you to see can appear on your mobile phone, then I'm quite confident they can write an algorithm to screen out hate content on social media platforms,"
Professor Pasquale said while live streaming technology presented certain risks, the "real concern" was live content being shared later.
He has penned a letter to the chair of June's G20 summit in Osaka, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, calling for the issue of social media governance to be added to the top of the agenda.

He said it was "unacceptable to treat the internet as an ungoverned space".
"We have placed temporary blocks on dozens of sites known to be still actively hosting footage of Friday's shootings in Christchurch."
He also said there was a simple short-term solution in hiring more employees.

"These are massive companies whose sole focus has been to make profit over the public good and that's gone on far too long," Senator Di Natale said.

"You just have enough people who can monitor this stuff and make sure it gets taken down quickly."

Labor leader Bill Shorten echoed Mr Morrison's sentiment that the answer lied in programming.

"I do not believe it is beyond the technological capacity for some of the richest, largest, most powerful, cleverest, most sophisticated businesses in the world, not to be able to better monitor the material before they publish it," he said.

"If they don't do that, they need to be accountable."
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-19/ ... s/10915246
"If they can write an algorithm to make sure that the ads they want you to see can appear on your mobile phone, then I'm quite confident they can write an algorithm to screen out hate content on social media platforms,"
Professor Pasquale said while live streaming technology presented certain risks, the "real concern" was live content being shared later.
He has penned a letter to the chair of June's G20 summit in Osaka, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, calling for the issue of social media governance to be added to the top of the agenda.

He said it was "unacceptable to treat the internet as an ungoverned space".
"We have placed temporary blocks on dozens of sites known to be still actively hosting footage of Friday's shootings in Christchurch."
He also said there was a simple short-term solution in hiring more employees.

"These are massive companies whose sole focus has been to make profit over the public good and that's gone on far too long," Senator Di Natale said.

"You just have enough people who can monitor this stuff and make sure it gets taken down quickly."

Labor leader Bill Shorten echoed Mr Morrison's sentiment that the answer lied in programming.

"I do not believe it is beyond the technological capacity for some of the richest, largest, most powerful, cleverest, most sophisticated businesses in the world, not to be able to better monitor the material before they publish it," he said.

"If they don't do that, they need to be accountable."
welcome to web 3.0
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:or is it Moslem
I've read that the "o" spelling is an insulting play on words of some antiquity which then got passed along as "the" spelling through western Christian sources&languages. In Arabic, the long o-z pronunciation of "Moslem" as found in English, is at root, a way of calling someone unjust and evil.

You can say it's the 9th century equivalent of (successful?) sh!tposting-polemic culture. :)
Thanks. Good to know human nature is consistent.

IIRC, in the 70's, Moslem was the preferred term, for everyone except Muhammed Ali who said "Black Mooslum."

About the late 80's, Muslim seemed to become more popular.

Hopefully, Heathen and Infidel will never go out of chic.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

If you screen hate content out of social media platforms, what's left?

that's like making water buckets with no bottoms.

Give them a place in the alt-reality commons so they can congregate.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:

Back in the 1950's Muslims loved American TV and movies. Especially Rob and Laura's bed room set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbadzTmpMkY

Nowadays it is like a drunk neighbor banging on their front door naked at 3 o'clock in the morning
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:

whats left is what we use to get - broadcast TV, the blandest most sterile subset of approved thoughts from people that dont trust you.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

whats left is what we use to get - broadcast TV, the blandest most sterile subset of approved thoughts from people that dont trust you.
hmmmm. good point. free market to the rescue:
https://quillette.com/2019/03/12/joe-ro ... f-our-era/
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/06/ ... 07978.html
India and Australia have sealed a deal to get access to each other's military bases, the Indian foreign ministry said - a pact that would clear the way for more military exchanges and exercises in the Indo-Pacific.

The mutual logistic support agreement was signed during a virtual summit between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Australian counterpart Scott Morrison on Thursday.
I was joking about this as a future possibility in another thread - turns out it was an actual plan.

culturally, India is probably a better fit for Australia than China, their chaotic multilayered mess is far less interested in controlling the outside world - they barely bother to do it internally.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:46 am https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/06/ ... 07978.html
India and Australia have sealed a deal to get access to each other's military bases, the Indian foreign ministry said - a pact that would clear the way for more military exchanges and exercises in the Indo-Pacific.

The mutual logistic support agreement was signed during a virtual summit between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Australian counterpart Scott Morrison on Thursday.
I was joking about this as a future possibility in another thread - turns out it was an actual plan.

culturally, India is probably a better fit for Australia than China, their chaotic multilayered mess is far less interested in controlling the outside world - they barely bother to do it internally.
Chaos as the pinnacle of emotional self-discipline is a very Zen concept. Only the most ascetic disciples will come even close.
YMix

Post by YMix »

BWeF4kP3DzM
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
noddy

Post by noddy »

YMix wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:13 pm BWeF4kP3DzM
doing her best to make tennis interesting :)
ultracrepidarian