COVID-19 and Other Pandemics | Anarchy in the USA

This too shall pass.
Doc

Re: The Potential Pandemic | Ebola, MERS, and other fears

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:38 am I do have breathing issues so perhaps should be frightened but cant say I particularly am.

I am interested in this however for several reasons

- the real mortality rate hasnt established yet but could be 5% ish and in populations of millions and hundreds of millions that still becomes an overwhelming amount of chaos, to be half prepared for. Even though modern medicine can carry someone through most of these diseases now that only works if the hospital isnt overloaded and you get the bed and respirator. In most countries hospitals run at close to capacity already and get overloaded very easily.

- this one is nasty because it has the worst aspect of the flu types , a long incubation of 2 weeks, which means lots of travel and infection can happen before you start showing symptoms.

- any test of global systems is an important test - ebola had too short an incubation to spread far but the worst case of any disease would be this one with ebola type outcomes, so how does that pan out, how effective are travel controls etc.
I just try to figure out the odds. Something I am not that bad at. It is like buying a lottery ticket. Say you buy a ticket for a dollar and the prize is $200. As soon as you buy the ticket it is worth $2 until the drawing. Then it is probably worth $0.

Given the unknown rate of transmission this could be really bad. But you have a good point about the long incubation time.

That could mean a lot of people got infected before anyone showed much in the way of symptoms. That would explain why the numbers are going up so fast. It could also mean there are a lot more infected people about to get sick. That would probably means this outbreak exceeds the SARS and MERS outbreaks. But with a magnitude lower mortality rate than SARS.

The Chinese Government keeps saying it is worried about mutations to a more deadly mutation. They may be hiding something. Anyway my guess(IE Pure speculation) is up to 100's of thousands of dead if it is generally contained in China.

It is somewhat concerning that Wuhan is the site of China's new and one and only Bio Safety Research Lab. Probably no conection. But the Chinese did discover and genetically sequence the virus amazingly rapidly. That may mean something. Maybe why the CCP is freaking out. They are holding back on something. But probably not.

Many member of the WHO worldwide and the CDC are saying that they are much more prepared to contain outbreaks like this because of the ebola outbreak. HOWEVER I still question how effective they have been fighting ebola outside of course developing a vaccination. While national and international med workers were quite heroic during the east African out break of a few years ago, it was mostly contained because people there adapted to it so it did not spread as quickly, and died out.

China and many of its people do not seem to understand that live animal markets are a serious threat for disease jumping from animals to humans.

The odds are if that continues sooner or later something will break out that rivals the plagues of the European dark ages. Something that kills off a 3rd of the population..

The number one natural reason for species extinction is over population and disease that can thrive with an abundance of hosts. Often because of weakened individuals for lack of food or other diseases that are not as fatal.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

People in nice new looking business suits are collasping in the streets of Wuhan as they walk.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... s-ten-days

UK Researcher Predicts Over 250,000 Chinese Will Have Coronavirus In Ten Days

I am a rank amateur so the numbers could be off by magnitudes, but here are my projections from yesterday.(see below)
Today's numbers are 1287 infected 41 dead. Yesterday the numbers were 800 infected 26 dead
Sure looks a lot like exponential growth.
Two days ago there were 14 suspected cases in the US. Today there are 61
I took the officially published numbers
60% growth in infected individuals per day
an apparent mortality rate between 2 to 4 %
By the official numbers, patient zero became infectious ~ two weeks ago today. Though there is no reason to assume the official numbers are any where close to being correct given the past history of government reporting of crises like this.
projection.jpg
projection.jpg (210.56 KiB) Viewed 897 times
By the official numbers, patient zero became infectious ~ two weeks ago today. Though there is no reason to assume the official numbers are any where close to being correct given the past history of government reporting of crises like this. And even the history of government action in this outbreak:

lk5XkhUKMDM

Seems like the headline should be no need to Panic --Yet.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Post by noddy »

apparently regular flu has an infection value of about 1, and the spanish flu had an infection value of about 3 - which stands for how many people one person will infect on average.

obviously regular flu kills in the hundreds of thousands each year and this will probably peter out in the 1's or 10's of thousands like SARS and MERS did but the panic and over reaction is part of the reason it probably will get contained, so its hard to say if the panic is unjustified :)

nobody wants another spanish flu taking out 30% of the population again.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6

John Hopkins University has a pretty tracking app for watching the latest numbers.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:14 am https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6

John Hopkins University has a pretty tracking app for watching the latest numbers.
projection.jpg
projection.jpg (54.73 KiB) Viewed 867 times
Doc

Post by Doc »

12 Hours. New infections reported but death toll unchanged...Miracle?
Nonc Hilaire

Lancet article on the current coronavirus

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Re: Lancet article on the current coronavirus

Post by Doc »

noddy

Post by noddy »

without wanting to get overly conspiracy laden, I believe you can only officially die of it if you have been confirmed as having it - so now the hospitals are full and the backlog for testing is long, its quite possible to die in the queue and not have died from the disease.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:25 am without wanting to get overly conspiracy laden, I believe you can only officially die of it if you have been confirmed as having it - so now the hospitals are full and the backlog for testing is long, its quite possible to die in the queue and not have died from the disease.
Reports are that people are being sent home to die.

7OEqybiGdaA

XHZ0p6y8t9E
Doc

Post by Doc »

Doc wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:58 am
noddy wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:25 am without wanting to get overly conspiracy laden, I believe you can only officially die of it if you have been confirmed as having it - so now the hospitals are full and the backlog for testing is long, its quite possible to die in the queue and not have died from the disease.
Reports are that people are being sent home to die.

7OEqybiGdaA

XHZ0p6y8t9E
Now that I think of it the PLA took over the medical system in Wuhan last night. That would explain the lack of change in the number of dead. They aren't reporting them.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Someone else noticed the lack of updates:

X2GZg1qzohY
noddy

Post by noddy »

we have a nice round number of 80 now, and the DOOM that it is transmitable during its 2 week incubation.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:00 am we have a nice round number of 80 now, and the DOOM that it is transmitable during its 2 week incubation.
I was just updating my table. Given the confusion over the numbers I am not sure what the point is. Apparently there were a lot of issues with the first tests for the virus. Plus a shortage of test kits.

projection.jpg
projection.jpg (72.12 KiB) Viewed 835 times
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... nge-county
Coronavirus Latest: 2,799 Global Cases Resulting in 80 Fatalities

In the article it is pointed out that there are a reported 1423 cases in Wuhan with 76 deaths That is a 5% mortality rate. But if the reported numbers in the table are correct it is around 3%
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

You sir are brilliant. Once again, your knowledge of humanity dwarfs my own.

Every effective bureaucrat and middle manager knows that denial is only effective in the early stages of problem solving. Eventually, one must employ the realization that, most problems, if ignored long enough, tend to solve themselves or go away completely.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:20 pm
You sir are brilliant. Once again, your knowledge of humanity dwarfs my own.

Every effective bureaucrat and middle manager knows that denial is only effective in the early stages of problem solving. Eventually, one must employ the realization that, most problems, if ignored long enough, tend to solve themselves or go away completely.
Or as Joseph Stalin said: "No people No problem"

Though I would paraphrase that to "No people, No virus, No problem.

Giant Meteor 2020
3a0feRsr-Vc

Because when everything looks like an insoluble problem, Giant Meteor is the only tool to use.
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy

Post by noddy »

You just need clarity of priorities - as long as its not my fault, its a good outcome.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:35 am
You just need clarity of priorities - as long as its not my fault, its a good outcome.
1.2 billion Chinese have not caught Coronavirus

4,474 confirmed 107 dead.

Cheers
noddy

Post by noddy »

83444395_10222105062118924_4612487424965083136_n.jpg
83444395_10222105062118924_4612487424965083136_n.jpg (46.99 KiB) Viewed 778 times
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:42 am 83444395_10222105062118924_4612487424965083136_n.jpg
Pour that in a bucket of bat soup and kick it.
Doc

Post by Doc »

pTWZPGzvJIo

https://www.asiatimes.com/2020/01/artic ... -measures/

Wuhan virus could infect 150,000 people a day(in one metropolitan area)

Hong Kong scientist has warned of the nightmare scenario as deadly coronavirus continues to spread

ByJeff Pao

A world-renowned scientist in Hong Kong has warned that the deadly Wuhan coronavirus could infect as many as 150,000 people per day in one of China’s largest metropolitan areas – Chongqing.
Doc

Post by Doc »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:59 pm