Technical Issues and Problems

Code of conduct, technical issues and problems, suggestions, and/or complaints
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Re: Technical Issues and Problems

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Testing: just to see if I can post free of Spamhaus.........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Spamhaus solved with vpn?
Looks like using vpn solves spamhaus (by changing your ip adress)
Deep down I'm very superficial
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

I'm getting clobbered by Spamhaus which is why my contributions to the forum has been very light.......
Your IP --.-.---.-- has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see weblink-them guys ip=24.7.216.93.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:51 pm Spamhaus solved with vpn?
Looks like using vpn solves spamhaus (by changing your ip address)
Sometimes.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:58 pm I'm getting clobbered by Spamhaus which is why my contributions to the forum has been very light.......
Your IP --.-.---.-- has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see weblink-them guys ip=24.7.216.93.
Sorry again for the inconvenience.

The fact that IP addresses from around the globe are being affected suggest that the problem resides with the hosting service.
It's the only place that I can think of that would have access to everyone's IP addresses.
Spamhaus is supposedly designed to block spam email from email servers. OTNOT does not run mail server,
so it makes me wonder if someone at the hosting service does not approve of OTNOT and has taken it upon themselves to engage in some cancelling. On the other hand, one should not assume malice before ruling out incompetence.

Will give the hosting service a call tomorrow - US time.
Given my previous experience, I have low expectations.

Otherwise, am slowly working towards a new forum with another hosting site and modern forum hosting software.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

c3sOuEv0E2I
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Spamhaus problem test post.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Well, I did talk to the tech support at the hosting service.

More knowledgeable than the online chat support.

Thought that the Spamhaus problem was a misconfigured [misdirected?] SSL certificate for the OTNOT site and claimed to fix it.

However, testing by posting images still triggers Spamhaus.

May give tech support another call, but think my limited time going forward is better spent getting a new site build and running.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Typhoon wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:02 am However, testing by posting images still triggers Spamhaus.
Hrmmn..... wouldn't be images to that particular thread would it?......'>.......

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hard to tell.

Anyways, for me the Spamhaus blocking has become less frequent.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:51 am Hard to tell.

Anyways, for me the Spamhaus blocking has become less frequent.
SOMETIMES MORE SOMETIMES LESS HERE>
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Typhoon wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:02 am Well, I did talk to the tech support at the hosting service.

More knowledgeable than the online chat support.

Thought that the Spamhaus problem was a misconfigured [misdirected?] SSL certificate for the OTNOT site and claimed to fix it.

However, testing by posting images still triggers Spamhaus.

May give tech support another call, but think my limited time going forward is better spent getting a new site build and running.
Thanks for going through the hassle.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ironically I could not post last night when I first tried.. Anyway whatever is occurring is against Spamhaus' terms of use.

https://www.spamhaus.org/faq/section/Spamhaus%20PBL#240

Avoid common errors: how the PBL should not be used
PBL should not be used to block an ISPs own users from accessing their smarthost email servers.
ISPs should ensure that:
Their smarthost email servers are configured to use SMTP Auth;
Specific instructions are published for their users regarding the configuration of SMTP Auth in their local email program;
Their users are otherwise allowed access to the servers (for example: whitelisting of local dynamic ranges).
PBL (and, therefore, Zen) should not be used to check all the IP addresses appearing in mail headers.
It is normal for legitimate emails to originate from an IP listed in PBL;
That IP will usually appear in the message headers, and should not be used as a basis for blocking;
In order to be effective, PBL must be used exclusively for checks at the SMTP connection level.
PBL should not be used to block access to webservers and blogs because the majority of legitimate web access comes from end-user IP space: that end-user space should be listed in PBL.

Should I use the PBL to block access to my webserver?
PBL should not be used to block access to webservers, web-forums, journals, blogs, or anything else of this type.
A PBL listing is NOT a result of any actions undertaken by the end users.
The Spamhaus PBL is a list of IP space that should not be sending email direct to MX.
Often these are IP ranges assigned by ISPs to broadband or dial-up customers, but the PBL does include other types of IP space.
Any IP space that should not be sending email directly to the Internet should be listed in PBL.
The majority of legitimate connections to webservers come from IPs listed in PBL, and should not be blocked because of their inclusion in the PBL.

How often is the PBL zone updated?
The PBL DNSBL zone is rebuilt and reloaded every 15 minutes, 24/7.

To ensure high redundancy, Spamhaus has over 100 public DNSBL mirror servers located around the world. Each mirror is independently run as a free service to the Internet community, and all of them respond in realtime to public queries.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Indeed.

Went another round with IT support at the forum hosting service. To no effect apparently.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:29 pm Indeed.

Went another round with IT support at the forum hosting service. To no effect apparently.
Isn't that what IT support is for? I think the issue is probably above their pay grade. If they can't figure out what the problem is it should be pointed out that the problem is likely SpamHaus to someone higher up the channel. Otherwise it is like going to the bank and talking to the Janitor about getting a loan.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

It's an annoyance. That it inconsistently blocks posting is super fishy.

Has anyone seen it affect them on other parts of the internet or with personal e-mails? I haven't noticed it having an effect anywhere else for me.

-----------

Over here, sometimes it's days between being allowed to post. Sometimes it's half an hour intervals. Usually I can't make or edit more than one post before I'm sent back to the penalty box (lucky you people, I guess. :lol: ) Then occasionally, with great benevolence, I can make a few successive posts as if there weren't a problem at al.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

cant post .. a bit fishy ;)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

This notification is a follow-up to our August 19, 2022 communication regarding planned maintenance and migration.

As part of [site hosting service] continued commitment to provide you with superior hosting solutions we will be migrating your server to new hardware, with support for updated technologies. This upgrade will provide your website with enhanced performance as your business needs continue to scale.

The maintenance and migration of your account is now scheduled to take place sometime between September 25th at 10pm Eastern time and September 26th at 6am Eastern time during non-US business hours. During this time, you may experience a brief loss of connectivity to your website hosting and associated services as your environment is being moved. We recognize the importance of hosting for your business and our operations and 24x7 support teams have taken the steps necessary to minimize any disruption to your service.
Hmmm, let's see what happens.
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

Yes, in corporate-speak the migration might include the umm, deep-sixing of Spamhaus, if we're lucky.
Doc

Post by Doc »

crashtech66 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:30 am Yes, in corporate-speak the migration might include the umm, deep-sixing of Spamhaus, if we're lucky.
The real issue here IMHO is the major ISP's including cell phone carriers are putting their customers on Public Block Lists to prevent them from communicating outside their watchful eyes. They are doing it supposedly to fight sapm. However its effect will be disasterous to smaller ISP's and those working from home. Don't be surprised if at some point you can't send email and post on forums like these.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Test. Lets see if Spamhaus is still watching over us.

Yes they are. At least as of last night
Your IP has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Spamhaus bit cruel lately. I now use vpn and change ip to ease things up a bit. but I still need to post quickly or get blocked again no matter which ip.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:07 pm Spamhaus bit cruel lately. I now use vpn and change ip to ease things up a bit. but I still need to post quickly or get blocked again no matter which ip.
What is the message you get when you use the VPN? Apparently this same problem is hitting lots of other PHPBB forums as well.
The problem hear appears to be with PBL not XBL However here is the Q and A from SPamhaus for XBL

https://www.spamhaus.org/faq/section/Spamhaus%20XBL
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Apparently this has been going on for a while From 2019:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2510521
Spamhaus blocklist blocking me from using my own forum
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Doc wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:27 am
Parodite wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:07 pm Spamhaus bit cruel lately. I now use vpn and change ip to ease things up a bit. but I still need to post quickly or get blocked again no matter which ip.
What is the message you get when you use the VPN?

Just the normal..ip blocked because its blacklisted. You think the problem is with my ISP? Or also in phpBB?
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Asian ip’s work best on my vpn.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila