Technical Issues and Problems

Code of conduct, technical issues and problems, suggestions, and/or complaints
Doc

Re: Technical Issues and Problems

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:13 pm
Doc wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:27 am
Parodite wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:07 pm Spamhaus bit cruel lately. I now use vpn and change ip to ease things up a bit. but I still need to post quickly or get blocked again no matter which ip.
What is the message you get when you use the VPN?

Just the normal..ip blocked because its blacklisted. You think the problem is with my ISP? Or also in phpBB?
IT is all of the above. Your ISP has put you on public block List. Spamhaus uses that list to determine who is not "supposed" to be sending email outside of their ISP. The hosting company for this forum has erroneously implemented Spamhaus to apply to this forum which Spamhaus states is not a proper use of its service and says if you have a problem talk to your ISP. The Big ISP's won't take you off because they use this to prevent people from using their home service rather than their much more expensive business service internet. The hosting company for this forum probably does not understand what it is doing or it is not a big enough problem.

Now since you are using a VPN it may be that you are getting an IP address through the VPN that was previously used by spammers. Thus "poisoning" that IP address. SO if you get a VPN IP that works consistently try to keep it.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

80% of the time I want to post , can't
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Setting my vpn to China is reliable.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:48 am 80% of the time I want to post , can't
Be honest HP. Your problem is you do not want to submit. :P
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:05 pm
Heracleum Persicum wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:48 am 80% of the time I want to post , can't
Be honest HP. Your problem is you do not want to submit. :P

that too :lol:
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Even with my vpn and change the ip the options keep shrinking. I wonder if there is any alternative forum software that is able to circumvent spamhaus.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:15 pm Even with my vpn and change the ip the options keep shrinking. I wonder if there is any alternative forum software that is able to circumvent spamhaus.
If you can get your ISP to admit they put you on a Public Block List and remove you from it would fix your problem. But, short of hiring a lawyer, good luck with that.+
Typhoon

Update: "Spamhaus" issue

Post by Typhoon »

Doing an online search, one finds that numerous phpBB3 forums have encountered the "Spamhaus" blocking issue.

Unfortunately, the supposed solutions posted in reply have been, to-date,

1. useless; and/or

2. flawed from a security perspective.

However, I recently found a discussion of the issue and suggested solution that made sense.

I've now implemented it and tested it by posting a series of images to the BoW thread.

Was able to post an entire set without being blocked.

Please let me know if this change is working or not.

This is not a site hosting issue, nor it is a passive-aggressive attempt at censorship by some woke type there.
It's simply a problem with the phpBB3 forum hosting software.

"Spamhaus" is supposed to block spam emails, but as far as I can tell it has never effectively done so since the first days of the OTNOT forum - my email account has been inundated with spam and continues to be so.

Why "Spamhaus" suddenly started to block forum members posts remains a mystery.

Again, apologies for the inconvenience caused by this issue.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Second post..test

Thanks Typhoon taking the effort.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

And a fourth..test.
Definately improvement, thanks!
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

If I may, I'll add my thanks to double as a test post. Testing...
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

I gotta test it out-- and again, add my thanks
Doc

Post by Doc »

Seem like the Spamhaus issue has gone away the last few days.
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:37 am Seem like the Spamhaus issue has gone away the last few days.

true
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:37 am Seem like the Spamhaus issue has gone away the last few days.
Yes, in the same way that the Tommy DeVito character had "gone away" in "Goodfellas".
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Typhoon wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:38 pm
Yes, in the same way that the Tommy DeVito character had "gone away" in "Goodfellas".
“It was revenge for OTNOT, and a lot of other things. And there was nothing that we could do about it. Typhoon was a made man, and Spamhaus wasn’t. And we had to sit still and take it. It was among the Internet. It was real greaseball s**t. They even erased Spamhaus from the code, so his mother couldn’t give him an open coffin at the funeral.”
:)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:06 am
Typhoon wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:38 pm
“It was revenge for OTNOT, and a lot of other things. And there was nothing that we could do about it. Typhoon was a made man, and Spamhaus wasn’t. And we had to sit still and take it. It was among the Internet. It was real greaseball s**t. They even erased Spamhaus from the code, so his mother couldn’t give him an open coffin at the funeral.”
:)
Like.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Did we put an end to embedded YouTube links or is it just my browser???......

wQJO1klSB9Q
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Doc

Post by Doc »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:47 am Did we put an end to embedded YouTube links or is it just my browser???......

wQJO1klSB9Q
It has been happening on and off for quite a while. I have been putting the full Youtube link then the embedded link after just in case it does not work. IE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQJO1klSB9Q
wQJO1klSB9Q
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Hit quote and the url will pop up.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:31 am Hit quote and the url will pop up.
The video youtube ID comes up. I just figured it is better to put the full URL to the video along with the ID in [youtube][/youtube]
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Same problem at this end since yesterday.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:47 am Did we put an end to embedded YouTube links or is it just my browser???......

wQJO1klSB9Q
It's not you . . . or your browser.

Something seems to has changed with the Youtube algorithm.

Will investigate.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

YouTube does not embed properly unless it can identify you.

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

all you need todo is click F12 and read the error messages.

jquery.min.js?assets_version=55:2 Mixed Content: The page at 'https://www.onthenatureofthings.net/for ... start=2725' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure plugin resource 'http://www.youtube.com/embed/Cz7ZRp9TuIs'. This request has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS.

the out of date scripts on this site are using the old unencrypted links which google no longer supports.
ultracrepidarian