Technical Issues and Problems

Code of conduct, technical issues and problems, suggestions, and/or complaints
Heracleum Persicum

Re: Technical Issues and Problems

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Typhoon wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:08 pm
noddy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:35 am spamhaus has been blocking my ip's alot of late.

i only randomly get to post sometimes.
Confirmed. I experienced the same yesterday, but when I clicked on the spamhaus link I was informed that there are no problems with my IP address.

Will investigate.

My IP also was blocked by spamhaus yesterday and could not post
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:47 am
Typhoon wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:08 pm
noddy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:35 am spamhaus has been blocking my ip's alot of late.

i only randomly get to post sometimes.
Confirmed. I experienced the same yesterday, but when I clicked on the spamhaus link I was informed that there are no problems with my IP address.

Will investigate.

My IP also was blocked by spamhaus yesterday and could not post
Yes, Thank you for your PM.

I am no longer experiencing this issue.
No idea what caused it, but it seems to have gone away.

If any is still receiving the spamhaus message, please inform me here.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

obviously the AI has self trained enough now to spot the most devious offenders before they strike
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Some forum members, including this mod, are experiencing the the Spamhaus blocked IP address issue again.

Will discuss with the hosting company.

In the meantime, here is a link to a Spamhaus page which supposedly enables one to delete one's IP address from their list:

https://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/removal/form/
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

This is a test.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

This is another test.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:30 am Some forum members, including this mod, are experiencing the the Spamhaus blocked IP address issue again.

In the meantime, here is a link to a Spamhaus page which supposedly enables one to delete one's IP address from their list:

If they are using comcast I already talked to them and they say they did not do it even though the message I received said comcast was responsible. Spamhaus in the message said comcast put a Blocked IP list on Spamhaus as the ip addresses of spammers. I also saw a page at comcast that said something about only using comcast email via their services. :roll:

At any rate it is working now.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

I got hit by Spamhaus last night. I don't want any of their sliced baloney.....
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Spamhaus sounds like a German/Polynesian fusion restaurant.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:15 pm
Typhoon wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:30 am Some forum members, including this mod, are experiencing the the Spamhaus blocked IP address issue again.

If they are using comcast I already talked to them and they say they did not do it even though the message I received said comcast was responsible. Spamhaus in the message said comcast put a Blocked IP list on Spamhaus as the ip addresses of spammers. I also saw a page at comcast that said something about only using comcast email via their services. :roll:

I had an online chat with the hosting company.
The IT rep claimed to remove me from Spamhaus, but it still persisted.

Seems to go away after a while.

Spamhaus comes across being some kind of racket.

Apologies to everyone about the incovenience.

The phpBB forum software is ancient, unwieldy to admin, and difficult to maintain.

Have been considering to moving the forum to Discourse.
However, this involves a fair bit of learning and work and I currently do not have the time available to do it.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:54 pm
Doc wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:15 pm

I had an online chat with the hosting company.
The IT rep claimed to remove me from Spamhaus, but it still persisted.

Seems to go away after a while.

Spamhaus comes across being some kind of racket.

Apologies to everyone about the incovenience.

The phpBB forum software is ancient, unwieldy to admin, and difficult to maintain.

Have been considering to moving the forum to Discourse.
However, this involves a fair bit of learning and work and I currently do not have the time available to do it.
Comcast and now sprint are doing this. It goes away and then comes back again. I have made posts that went through just fine then immediately the next post show as blocked.

There is a way to get around this Get a VPN proxy. The sad thing is that this effects email as well. IE you could send an email to someone but they never get it and you are not notified that they did not get it because of Spamhaus. Because you are only allowed by the ISP to use the email address they supplied you.

Yes it does seem to be a racket. I have talked to a few technical people about this. They all say this is most likely big ISP's trying to get more money out of their customers.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

FYI

blocked IP address issue

As I use VPN for reading RT and Sputnik , I discovered that "blocked IP address issue again" does not occur when one using VPN

:lol: :lol:

Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:50 pm .

FYI

blocked IP address issue

As I use VPN for reading RT and Sputnik , I discovered that "blocked IP address issue again" does not occur when one using VPN

:lol: :lol:

Yeah I know. It is just a scam on the part of the big ISP's I talked to my email ISP about this as well. Just to let them know the big ISP's are trying to put them out of business.
Doc

Post by Doc »

It is starting to look like the Spamhaus issue is effected by how often posts are made. IE IF I make a post/reply then make another a few minutes later the second one is always blocked.(like this one just was.) I guess I will have to try again later.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Doc wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:00 am It is starting to look like the Spamhaus issue is effected by how often posts are made. IE IF I make a post/reply then make another a few minutes later the second one is always blocked.(like this one just was.) I guess I will have to try again later.
Obtrusive presence in our neighbourhood. Wish they'd tone it down a bit....'>.......

She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:00 am It is starting to look like the Spamhaus issue is effected by how often posts are made. IE IF I make a post/reply then make another a few minutes later the second one is always blocked.(like this one just was.) I guess I will have to try again later.
Yes, noticed the same when posting a series of images.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:54 pm
@Typhoon: check the urls of the Beauty of Women posts. Be careful with the next batch and see if a site is putting the Spamhaus bug on our back.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:06 am
Typhoon wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:54 pm
@Typhoon: check the urls of the Beauty of Women posts. Be careful with the next batch and see if a site is putting the Spamhaus bug on our back.
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I don't link directly to sites or even use a free image upload site as both tend to disappear over time.

I used the "Attachments" tab and upload the image files directly.

However, I did notice a sometime correlation between a rapid set of image upload and spamhaus blocking.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

EXIF data? I tried downloading one, but that stripped the EXIF data.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:46 pm EXIF data? I tried downloading one, but that stripped the EXIF data.
I don't think that possble EXIF data stripping is related to the Spamhaus problem.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:08 am
Nonc Hilaire wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:46 pm EXIF data? I tried downloading one, but that stripped the EXIF data.
I don't think that possble EXIF data stripping is related to the Spamhaus problem.
My thinking was there may have been copyright or url tags in the original that flagged spamhaus, My phone strips the exif, so I could not look at that data. If I had a modeling site i would def put a copyright claim in the exif.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:05 am
My thinking was there may have been copyright or url tags in the original that flagged spamhaus, My phone strips the exif, so I could not look at that data. If I had a modeling site i would def put a copyright claim in the exif.
Interesting point. I'll check if the images have EXIF data.

Apparently, other people are also annoyed with Spamhaus and their hosting site:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3408407

Time to migrate to new forum software and a new hosting service.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:09 am

I am getting flagged just posting replies.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:08 pm

I noticed that the email I use for this site is overflowing with spam mail, as in 9,999 plus spam emails, from bogus attempts at registration.
I suspect that that may be the cause.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:29 am
Doc wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:08 pm

I noticed that the email I use for this site is overflowing with spam mail, as in 9,999 plus spam emails, from bogus attempts at registration.
I suspect that that may be the cause.
When I get my posts blocked the message shows my IP address and say my ISP is reporting it as a on their blocked list and that I should talk to the ISP. I would guess that it is intermittent because Spamhaus stretches the rules some. It allows some posting so long as it does not detect a lot of activity from your IP address. It is the same with both Comcast and sprint. I have been blocked here using both services.

Given that Spamhaus's original purpose wass to block spam email not posting on forums it looks kind of dodgy to me. IE Spamhaus is blocking for the big ISP's so that they can read what you are posting or if you just pay your ISP more money they will take you off their list.