Technical Issues and Problems

Code of conduct, technical issues and problems, suggestions, and/or complaints
Typhoon

Re: Technical Issues and Problems

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:29 am Sorry yes some technical log in issue. It just wouldn't accept my passwords.
No worries. This may have been due to a long overdue forum software upgrade to phpBB 3.2.x from 3.0.x.
After this upgrade, not being able to login using Firefox is an ongoing problem.

Regardless, welcome back.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Welcome back Mr.P.

=============

some time back, I experienced a problem where the log in screen kept asking the security question (the one 'bout prime numbers) and wouldn't accept the solution.

So I reset the password.

I made no mention it of then because it wasn't a big deal but I will now considering that there have been two known lock-outs now.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

All's well that ends well. I can currently log in with some of my computers but not others.
Censorship isn't necessary
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

To ensure that images are not lost, as image hosting and other direct-link sites eventually delete their images,
and are saved instead on the ONTOT server, please consider using the following

0/ Download the image to be posted.

1/ Select "Post Reply" as usual.

2/ Select the forum "Attachments" tab below the now open reply window.

3/ In the forum "Attachments" folder select "Add files".

This will open a local default folder on your workstation, typically "Desktop"

4/ Select the folder that has the image of interest if it is elsewhere.

5/ Click on the image file so as the name shows up in "File name:"

6/ Press "Open"

7/ In the forum "Attachments" folder select "Place inline".

8/ Press the "Submit" button as usual.

9/ Enjoy.

The process is straightforward once done once.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Firefox login.

Found that I have been recently able to log in to the OTNOT forum using Firefox 74.0 with no problems encountered.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I have been noticing that I am getting a 404 error a couple time a day when I try to open the forum. Usually I try again after a few minutes and it comes up.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

Doc wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:10 am I have been noticing that I am getting a 404 error a couple time a day when I try to open the forum. Usually I try again after a few minutes and it comes up.
More 404 errors Down for the last hour or two
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

I don't know if this is something that has been discussed, but I would love to have the option of a dark mode for the forum.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2557121

Not sure about the ease of installation. It apparently shows up as a user option that sets a cookie, and does not become the default.

My tired and abused retinas thank you for your consideration.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

crashtech66 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:08 pm I don't know if this is something that has been discussed, but I would love to have the option of a dark mode for the forum.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2557121

Not sure about the ease of installation. It apparently shows up as a user option that sets a cookie, and does not become the default.

My tired and abused retinas thank you for your consideration.
Sorry about the inconvenience.

Changing this is unfortunately a bit of work. More than changing a setting as admin - the forum software, phpBB, is ancient.
Have to download and install a "dark" board style.
Will look into it when I have a some time to investigate.
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

Well, I was hoping it would be easy. I will just use a general browser dark theme, but these are generally pretty ham-fisted at deciding what to do to any particular website.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I have been noticing that the Youtube tag is not always working correctly for me. I have to hit reply to a post containing a link otherwise the post does not show the video or a link to it. Just blank post

https://www.onthenatureofthings.net/for ... 20#p154320
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:05 pm I have been noticing that the Youtube tag is not always working correctly for me. I have to hit reply to a post containing a link otherwise the post does not show the video or a link to it. Just blank post

https://www.onthenatureofthings.net/for ... 20#p154320
Shows up for me.

As I haven't make any change to the forum phpBB setting in more than two years, my only guess is that the forum software may be showing its age.

Have not had time update phpBB to the most recent release as it's a bit labour intensive.

Ideally, I'd like to switch to more modern forum software such as Discourse.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I wonder what this is about...
General Error

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
Nonc Hilaire

YouTube is dead to me.

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

YT links no longer work for me here. Mine or others.

I blame Obama.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Re: YouTube is dead to me.

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:23 pm YT links no longer work for me here. Mine or others.

I blame Obama.
It has been going on for a while. Sometimes it works more often it does not. Same thing with Twitter. It seems like it works when I reply to a post whether I was going to reply or not. Never seems to work when I preview a post I am making.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

What video file formats work? There is a ‘media’ button and no idea what dailymotion is.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:00 pm What video file formats work? There is a ‘media’ button and no idea what dailymotion is.
It seems like many worked if you just post the link without using the format buttons. But lately it has been hot or miss. Dailymotion was one of the original sites to post videos. I think it predated Google taking over Youtube.

Typhoon is it possible that the forum database needs to be rebuilt? Sometimes doing a rebuild will fix all kinds of problems.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:44 pm
Nonc Hilaire wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:00 pm What video file formats work? There is a ‘media’ button and no idea what dailymotion is.
It seems like many worked if you just post the link without using the format buttons. But lately it has been hot or miss. Dailymotion was one of the original sites to post videos. I think it predated Google taking over Youtube.

Typhoon is it possible that the forum database needs to be rebuilt? Sometimes doing a rebuild will fix all kinds of problems.
The forum software is in need of an update.

Unfortunately, this is somewhat labour intensive and I have not been able to set aside time to do it.
Will do so as soon as I can.

Having said that, youtube works fine for me, so it's a bit difficult to diagnose this specific problem.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:09 am
Doc wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:44 pm

The forum software is in need of an update.

Unfortunately, this is somewhat labour intensive and I have not been able to set aside time to do it.
Will do so as soon as I can.

Having said that, youtube works fine for me, so it's a bit difficult to diagnose this specific problem.
IT may be browser related. I only use firefox here. Nonc, what browser do you use?
noddy

Post by noddy »

vpns and privacy blocking plugins will stop twitter and much of youtube from working.

this is a client side feature.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:39 am vpns and privacy blocking plugins will stop twitter and much of youtube from working.

Here it is working sometimes Sometimes not.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:39 am vpns and privacy blocking plugins will stop twitter and much of youtube from working.

Quite right.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Doc wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:22 pm

Here it is working sometimes Sometimes not.
OK I found the time to quantify the problem

first look at Musicology No Youtube videos show at all:
sreen1.jpg
sreen1.jpg (49.58 KiB) Viewed 6499 times
Then I reply to Napsters post with nothing added. If I hit "preview" I see the same as above. If I hit "Submit" I see every video on the page.
screen2.jpg
screen2.jpg (104.31 KiB) Viewed 6499 times
If I go to chrome... Slightly different I can't see the videos but there is space in the fame of each post for the video to show

screen3chrome.jpg
screen3chrome.jpg (33.12 KiB) Viewed 6499 times
I have no idea at this point other than an automatic update of Windows
noddy

Post by noddy »

spamhaus has been blocking my ip's alot of late.

i only randomly get to post sometimes.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:35 am spamhaus has been blocking my ip's alot of late.

i only randomly get to post sometimes.
Confirmed. I experienced the same yesterday, but when I clicked on the spamhaus link I was informed that there are no problems with my IP address.

Will investigate.