Issues of Race in the USA

Doc

Re: Issues of Race in the USA

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:19 am
Excellent article Napster. Thanks for posting! Rings true regarding my personal experience with the Liberals I have known.

They like to imagine they are Robin Hood, but when it comes time for them to "ante up or shut up!" they do neither.

I think when Obama didn't prove to be "The Magic Negro." a lot of them went batshit crazy!

As I have often noted, the first thing the "race baiters" do is to sort the data by race. Then they proudly proclaim "Look at what the data shows!" Very similar to "Climate Scientists." Ignore data and influences that don't support your case, and all the rest falls neatly into place.
Like this?

21znU65TFz0
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Doc wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:10 pm
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:49 pm
Simple Minded wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:49 pm
Of all the subsets, white liberals are the only herd that is self-loathing? Is that the correct read?
They are trying to measure enthnocentric attitudes; it would be that white liberals view whites in general very unfavorably. This tracks with other polls which show how odd white liberals are in their loathing towards people they perceived to look or act like themselves.
Abbreviated to "Daddy Issues"
Right--

NapLajoieonSteroids

As this particular theorizing goes, it isn't a matter of hypocrisy or all talk, no action.
noddy

Post by noddy »

I agree with them that they arent very nice people, their is no problem here, barring the fact they are a magority in many places.

Sheltered and spoilt, definite about the amazing value of their own opinion, yet also so useless they can barely function.

was humanity designed to have so many princes and princess's ? it doesnt do nice things to the royal family.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:15 am
They are trying to measure enthnocentric attitudes; it would be that white liberals view whites in general very unfavorably. This tracks with other polls which show how odd white liberals are in their loathing towards people they perceived to look or act like themselves.
Right--
You mean like "My Daddy didn't breast feed me when I was a baby!" Not gonna be easy getting past that....
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:30 am I agree with them that they arent very nice people, their is no problem here, barring the fact they are a magority in many places.

Sheltered and spoilt, definite about the amazing value of their own opinion, yet also so useless they can barely function.

was humanity designed to have so many princes and princess's ? it doesnt do nice things to the royal family.
Well said as always. "Let them eat fat free, low carbon, sustainable, non-hydrocarbon virtual cake with extra thick virtuous frosting!"

No BIPOC's were harmed or offended in the filming of this post. (tm)
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:49 pm
Of all the subsets, white liberals are the only herd that is self-loathing? Is that the correct read?
Right--

2 + 2 = 5 | 5 = 2 + 2

https://www.simplypsychology.org/asch-conformity.html
Solomon Asch - Conformity Experiment

Experimental Procedure

Asch used a lab experiment to study conformity, whereby 50 male students from Swarthmore College in the USA participated in a ‘vision test.’

Using a line judgment task, Asch put a naive participant in a room with seven confederates/stooges. The confederates had agreed in advance what their responses would be when presented with the line task.

The real participant did not know this and was led to believe that the other seven confederates/stooges were also real participants like themselves.
Asch experiment target line and three comparison lines

Each person in the room had to state aloud which comparison line (A, B or C) was most like the target line. The answer was always obvious. The real participant sat at the end of the row and gave his or her answer last.

There were 18 trials in total, and the confederates gave the wrong answer on 12 trails (called the critical trials). Asch was interested to see if the real participant would conform to the majority view.

Asch's experiment also had a control condition where there were no confederates, only a "real participant."

Findings

Asch measured the number of times each participant conformed to the majority view. On average, about one third (32%) of the participants who were placed in this situation went along and conformed with the clearly incorrect majority on the critical trials.

Over the 12 critical trials, about 75% of participants conformed at least once, and 25% of participants never conformed.

In the control group, with no pressure to conform to confederates, less than 1% of participants gave the wrong answer.

Conclusion

Why did the participants conform so readily? When they were interviewed after the experiment, most of them said that they did not really believe their conforming answers, but had gone along with the group for fear of being ridiculed or thought "peculiar.

A few of them said that they really did believe the group's answers were correct.

Apparently, people conform for two main reasons: because they want to fit in with the group (normative influence) and because they believe the group is better informed than they are (informational influence).
Some critics thought the high levels of conformity found by Asch were a reflection of American, 1950's culture and told us more about the historical and cultural climate of the USA in the 1950s than then they do about the phenomena of conformity.

In the 1950s America was very conservative, involved in an anti-communist witch-hunt (which became known as McCarthyism) against anyone who was thought to hold sympathetic left-wing views. Conformity to American values was expected. Support for this comes from studies in the 1970s and 1980s that show lower conformity rates (e.g., Perrin & Spencer, 1980).

Perrin and Spencer (1980) suggested that the Asch effect was a "child of its time." They carried out an exact replication of the original Asch experiment using engineering, mathematics and chemistry students as subjects. They found that on only one out of 396 trials did an observer join the erroneous majority.

Perrin and Spencer argue that a cultural change has taken place in the value placed on conformity and obedience and in the position of students. In America in the 1950s students were unobtrusive members of society whereas now they occupy a free questioning role.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:58 pm
Right--
You mean like "My Daddy didn't breast feed me when I was a baby!" Not gonna be easy getting past that....
Most of the negatively effected were women. ..
NapLajoieonSteroids

“Reimagining” History: Archives Racism Task Force Finds Rotunda Triggering
We discussed today how the term “triggering” itself can be triggering. Now, it appears that the racism task force for the National Archives have found the Archives themselves are triggering. The task force, created by National Archivist David Ferriero after the protests over the killing of George Floyd, released its report finding that the iconic Rotunda (containing the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and the Bill of Rights) is a symbol of”structural racism” and should be countered with such reforms as ethnic dancing. It also found the emphasis and celebration of the Founders and Framers to be harmful.

For full disclosure, I have spoken repeatedly at the Archives and have long expressed the commonly held view of the Rotunda as one of the most beautiful and powerful spaces in the world.

That is not exactly the take of the Racism Task Force headed by Erica Pearson, Director, Office of Equal Employment Opportunity and Ovnelle Millwood, Director of Workforce Strategy and Analysis. The task force found the Rotunda to be one of three examples of structural racism: “a Rotunda in our flagship building that lauds wealthy White men in the nation’s founding while marginalizing BIPOC, women, and other communities.” The task force called for “reimagining” the space to be more inclusive.

The report also objects to the laudatory attention given white Framers and Founders, particularly figures like Thomas Jefferson. They encourage the placement of “trigger warnings” to “forewarn audiences of content that may cause intense physiological and psychological symptoms.”

The task force’s report also calls for changing OurDocuments.gov — the website on American “milestone documents” such as the Constitution and Declaration of Independence. — to be less celebratory of historically impactful Americans, such as former President Thomas Jefferson...language must be corrected...Even the famous murals are now considered triggering:
I am particularly concerned about “reimagining” the Rotunda. “Reimagining” has become the over-used term for any wholesale reform from “reimagining policing” through defunding to “reimagining the Supreme Court” through packing. It is hard to oppose “reimagining” anything without sounding defensive or, perish the thought, unimaginative.

Yes, the Founders and Framers were overwhelmingly white. We also do celebrate their brilliance in the creation of these foundational documents for freedom. That does not mean that we do not recognize countervailing elements in their histories, particularly when it comes to slavery. However, the Rotunda is a celebration of these foundational documents not some zero sum contest for what groups will now be represented in this relatively small space. This is not an “homage to White America” but an homage to the founding documents of one of the oldest and most successful democracies in the history of the world.

The concern is that there will be little real debate over some of these proposals. No one wants to be viewed as racially unimaginative or, worse, racially insensitive. The task force itself does not include countervailing views on these issues. It takes a great deal of courage to raise a dissenting voice on such issues. We have seen academics subject to campaigns for termination after questioning reforms. The lack of attention to the report when it was released in April is itself concerning. These reports can go unchallenged and move into implementation without serious debate or discussion.
It is unlikely that many will object at the risk of their own careers. We have been discussing efforts to fire professors who voice dissenting views on various issues including an effort to oust a leading economist from the University of Chicago as well as a leading linguistics professor at Harvard and a literature professor at Penn. The cancel culture has also extended to museums, book publishers, and other forums for intellectual exchanges. Now the esteemed Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) fired podcast host and deputy editor Dr. Edward Livingston, who raised his own concerns and doubts in a podcast over claims of structural racism. That fallout at JAMA has continued with the recent departure of the editor of the fame publication.

I agree with the task force that it is important to contextualize our historic figures and to augment our historical presentations to be more inclusive of figures like Tubman. However, the Rotunda is designed as a reverent space for our founding documents. It does not require reimagination to understand the power and significance of those documents.

I can also understand the preference for more diverse murals to reflect the diversity of our nation and its roots in many cultures, including our Native American culture. However, the murals by artist Barry Faulkner depict the writing and adoption of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States. The signers of these documents were clearly non-diverse but the murals capture the historical creation of the documents on display. They are almost 100 years old and have become an indelible part of the Rotunda. The Rotunda has a defined and confined purpose of focusing on the documents that laid the foundation for this representative democracy. It should not become the latest battleground for our contemporary divisions and controversies.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Hate crime in NYC! How is this possible?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nypd- ... ar-AALrNEe

Is it just me, or is this statue an enduring insult to a wonderful, black civil rights icon?

Whiter than Jussie Smollett or Don Lemon!!!! Wow! Even George Floyd has been de-blacked!!!

for the record: "If I had a son, he'd look like George Floyd's statue!" Let see Obama top that one!
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:23 am Hate crime in NYC! How is this possible?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nypd- ... ar-AALrNEe

Is it just me, or is this statue an enduring insult to a wonderful, black civil rights icon?

Whiter than Jussie Smollett or Don Lemon!!!! Wow! Even George Floyd has been de-blacked!!!

for the record: "If I had a son, he'd look like George Floyd's statue!" Let see Obama top that one!
The hateful person spray painted Floyd Whiter than Shaun King's blackface? Its no wonder King is so upset about it!! :roll:
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:33 am
The hateful person spray painted Floyd Whiter than Shaun King's blackface? Its no wonder King is so upset about it!! :roll:
From the pictures I've seen, George Floyd's statue has African facial features, but is a bizarre peachy-tan color. So was the statue "vandalized" or were the vandals George Floyd fan boys who were simply correcting the historical record?

Hopefully the next POTUS will start building a wall around NYC.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Doc wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:58 pm
Right--
Most of the negatively effected were women. ..
Where the women are, the men aren't far behind.

Of course I would say that the constant harping that men underreport their psychological problems is mostly malarkey; but a lot of these problem children only communicate through their perceived problems, it's a convention that is going to suck everyone into it.

It's exhibitionism sluiced through conventional means because most of us aren't all that interesting as exhibits.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:39 am
Of course I would say that the constant harping that men underreport their psychological problems is mostly malarkey; but a lot of these problem children only communicate through their perceived problems, it's a convention that is going to suck everyone into it.

It's exhibitionism sluiced through conventional means because most of us aren't all that interesting as exhibits.
Well said. I believe it is close to 30 years ago, that I heard a keen observer of humanity note that the race to the bottom of "who can be the biggest victim, and how to establish the hierarchy of relative victimhood is going to be an amazing thing to observe." IIRC, the commentator was Mark Steyn. At the time, it seemed self-evident that it would be a disastrous philosophy to adopt. Now it is a symbol of status.

Also reminds me of conversations with a co-worker who used to be a hard core evangelist and became an atheist. "When I was preaching, I always exaggerated my faults and bad traits so that my salvation could be even more impressive."

Tough to remain on stage these days with so much competition via high tech.

We've "evolved" from "rugged individualism" to "White Fragility."
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:49 pm
"Well, who is Zach Goldberg?"

I'm glad you asked. Goldberg is a guy whose been tracking the great awokening way before it was popular. I think he possibly coined the great awokening for, as he points out, there is a start date around 2012/2013 where all of this exploded into the mainstream.

His twitter feed
My man Zach rocks!

The eternal quest to infinitely split binary concepts into adaptable containers continues unabated!!!!

I suspect it will also be so.....

"There is two kinds of people in the world. If they don't belong to the first group, they're probably a member of the other." (tm)
NapLajoieonSteroids

Right--
This is a real magazine from our brave new world:

Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:26 pm
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:49 pm
"Well, who is Zach Goldberg?"

I'm glad you asked. Goldberg is a guy whose been tracking the great awokening way before it was popular. I think he possibly coined the great awokening for, as he points out, there is a start date around 2012/2013 where all of this exploded into the mainstream.

His twitter feed
My man Zach rocks!

The eternal quest to infinitely split binary concepts into adaptable containers continues unabated!!!!

I suspect it will also be so.....

"There is two kinds of people in the world. If they don't belong to the first group, they're probably a member of the other." (tm)
https://youtu.be/3ui45wI15K8?t=388
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:22 pm
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:39 am

Well said. I believe it is close to 30 years ago, that I heard a keen observer of humanity note that the race to the bottom of "who can be the biggest victim, and how to establish the hierarchy of relative victimhood is going to be an amazing thing to observe." IIRC, the commentator was Mark Steyn. At the time, it seemed self-evident that it would be a disastrous philosophy to adopt. Now it is a symbol of status.

Also reminds me of conversations with a co-worker who used to be a hard core evangelist and became an atheist. "When I was preaching, I always exaggerated my faults and bad traits so that my salvation could be even more impressive."

All these visual scales- "Race to the bottom" , "Punching Up/Down" - should be disqualified from the get go, as picture-thinking is very limiting.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:30 am I agree with them that they arent very nice people, their is no problem here, barring the fact they are a magority in many places.

Most of us aren't all that kind and that has always been the majority.

It still doesn't account for how one figures agreements can be organized around the idea that in all outcomes to events, there are no victors; only violators and victims.

Saying everything is illegitimate over and over again is lamest attempt at permanent revolution to date.
NapLajoieonSteroids

NapLajoieonSteroids

Read that closely (please ignore the highlights):
"Social history insists that identity matters, and since science is a social practice, identity is also a factor of scientific knowledge production"
Or the ability to understand is racially determined.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:40 am Image
This is the usual nuts.
A humanities type with less than zero understanding of the meaning of relativity in physics,
taking it completely out of context and engaging in wild mis-extrapolation to make
dubious claims about society.
Well, yes. Historically, more weight has been given to discovering what are the laws of nature
as opposed to applying the known ones to study specific physical systems.

However, with the paucity of new discoveries in HEP/particle physics, the relative weighting are beginning to slowly change.

Then again, so what?
What HEP might have to do with historical slavery completely escapes me.
Especially as historical slavery was over before the concept of the quanta and the atom were established as having physical reality.

These quotes remind me of the Sokal Affair.
Except that Sokal was taking the piss, whereas I suspect the above spunk artist is take him/her/itself seriously.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:24 pm

Most of us aren't all that kind and that has always been the majority.

It still doesn't account for how one figures agreements can be organized around the idea that in all outcomes to events, there are no victors; only violators and victims.

Saying everything is illegitimate over and over again is lamest attempt at permanent revolution to date.
Maybe so, but it sells to the adolescent mindset, which is still popular into one's 40's with many.

What would be the correct response to one who is "anti-illegitimate?" Oh yeah, "RACIST!"

See how easy the new normal is?
Last edited by Simple Minded on Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:47 pm
Simple Minded wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:22 pm

All these visual scales- "Race to the bottom" , "Punching Up/Down" - should be disqualified from the get go, as picture-thinking is very limiting.
Not at all limiting. Well for you maybe, ;)

"The bottom" is an ideal goal for many. Kinda like "infinity" or "perfection."

An ever-changing ideal that allows one to set goals, but not necessarily a destination one will arrive at on Tuesday morning.

Kinda like this:
Rx58LJ1LfuA

If you wish to use your limited thinking as proof of your victimhood, or as evidence of your racial/empathetical bonafides, that is currently acceptable behavior.

Plus you will probably get laid a lot more than those who don't follow chic practice.

"Simple Minded claims he is a bigger loser than me and he got to the bottom first! That's not fair! Now I'll never get my fair share!"

Even at "the bottom" real estate prices are soaring!!!!!!! :)
Last edited by Simple Minded on Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:39 pm
https://youtu.be/3ui45wI15K8?t=388
I love this chick! Thanks for posting.

Since I avoid social media, I am as completely ignorant of the current state of the world as the viewer who goes to the 3D movie, but doesn't wear the funky glasses! Damn! I suppose it has always been like that.

The hyper-dimensional model of the world has been successfully proven many times! I'm just stuck in the fourth dimension! Whoa! I'm a victim!!!

"You wish to apply HEP principles to current humanities studies? You need to buy these glasses! You got the wrong ones. Yours only allow you to apply ancient history to current events!"