The Nordic Nations

Parodite

Denmark

Post by Parodite »

Copenhagen Imam on Eve of Terror Attack: The Prophet Engaged in War, Not Dialogue, with the Jews:

5VsDOI1p-8w

In the old days these people were simply put on lithium in closed mental institutions. Don't know what happened, but now they speak to gullible masses gathered in club houses who absorb the verbiage of a madman as if it is truth raining down from heaven. Of course a good place to be when you want to investigate how madness looks from the inside.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Endovelico

Re: Denmark

Post by Endovelico »

Parodite wrote:Copenhagen Imam on Eve of Terror Attack: The Prophet Engaged in War, Not Dialogue, with the Jews:

5VsDOI1p-8w

In the old days these people were simply put on lithium in closed mental institutions. Don't know what happened, but now they speak to gullible masses gathered in club houses who absorb the verbiage of a madman as if it is truth raining down from heaven. Of course a good place to be when you want to investigate how madness looks from the inside.
Since shooting those bastards is considered uncivilized, how about expelling them to whatever hell hole they came from?...
Parodite

Re: Denmark

Post by Parodite »

Endovelico wrote:
Parodite wrote:In the old days these people were simply put on lithium in closed mental institutions. Don't know what happened, but now they speak to gullible masses gathered in club houses who absorb the verbiage of a madman as if it is truth raining down from heaven. Of course a good place to be when you want to investigate how madness looks from the inside.
Since shooting those bastards is considered uncivilized, how about expelling them to whatever hell hole they came from?...
I don't know.. these madmen are both terrifying and very funny. It kind of begs for some comic-relief investigative journalism before they, perhaps, need to be kicked out. We should not let an opportunity go by and have some interesting fun first.

Was thinking of a character like this; a Hasidic Jew who goes on a desperate personal quest to investigate what he just can't wrap his mind around, with a childlike innocence starts roaming the streets asking madmen and their followers for explanations.. with funny yet confronting questions!

Could be a new Borat-like fun movie: Rabbi Mushe bar-Funowitz - investigative journalist
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

The Nordic Nations

Post by Typhoon »

Finland takes the extraordinary measure to remind reservists that they are "on call".

Finland | Letter for Reservists

Why? The usual suspect:

Jane's | Finland boosts aircraft readiness following Russian incursions
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Endovelico

Re: The Nordic Nations

Post by Endovelico »

I don't know which is most ridiculous: the Nordic countries thinking they would be a match for the Russian air force, or they thinking that they are actually being threatened by Russia. An imaginary threat is leading them to spend money on a totally useless and ineffective military apparatus. And if they think NATO would rescue them if they were ever invaded they are even sillier... The only way NATO could hurt Russia would be by means of a massive nuclear strike. As retaliation would be assured, that is not going to happen. But short of a massive nuclear attack NATO is totally powerless against Russia in Eastern Europe. Unless it wants to get the Napoleon/Hitler treatment... In any war Russia would mobilize one hundred percent of its population, which would, once more, be quite willing to die for their country. The western countries could count on their mercenary troops and nothing more. Definitely no match for the Russians...
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Keep on kowtowing . . .
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Typhoon wrote:Keep on kowtowing . . .
I thought we had already settled that...

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Keep on kowtowing . . .
I thought we had already settled that...

Only in your imagination. No surprise there.

I thought that the Pill of Murti-Bing was a purely work of fiction. Apparently not.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Typhoon wrote:I thought that the Pill of Murti-Bing was a purely work of fiction. Apparently not.
The Captive Mind begins with a discussion of the novel Insatiability by Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz and its plot device of Murti-Bing pills, which are used as a metaphor for dialectical materialism, but also for the deadening of the intellect caused by consumerism in Western society.
Apparently it applies to Japanese society too... :D
noddy

Post by noddy »

the nordics and baltics do not deserve to have their own countries, they should submit to russian interests and remain isolated from all world groupings lest russia feel itself impotent.
ultracrepidarian
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

noddy wrote:the nordics and baltics do not deserve to have their own countries, they should submit to russian interests and remain isolated from all world groupings lest russia feel itself impotent.
A bit like the way you feel about Timor, isn't it?... :twisted:
noddy

Post by noddy »

Endovelico wrote:
noddy wrote:the nordics and baltics do not deserve to have their own countries, they should submit to russian interests and remain isolated from all world groupings lest russia feel itself impotent.
portugese post colonial impotence is of less concern.

australia didnt see it worth fighting indonesia over one your colonies, your are correct... maybe that was a mistake, i certainly believe irian jaya/wet papua are a tragedy.
ultracrepidarian
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

noddy wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
portugese post colonial impotence is of less concern.

australia didnt see it worth fighting indonesia over one your colonies, your are correct... maybe that was a mistake, i certainly believe irian jaya/wet papua are a tragedy.
You know what I meant!... Australia's attempt at dominating independent Timor, its oil resources and most of its economy, by intimidation and extensive use of legal proceedings meant to delay Timor's access to revenue from those resources... Very Putin like...
noddy

Post by noddy »

you are trying to draw a linkage between http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timor_Gap and the 300 years of colonial exploitation and abuse under portugal with putins russia.

sounds absurd, love to hear it.
ultracrepidarian
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

noddy wrote:you are trying to draw a linkage between http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timor_Gap and the 300 years of colonial exploitation and abuse under portugal with putins russia.

sounds absurd, love to hear it.
We never exploited Timor, as there was nothing to exploit. And we even developed some new resources, like quality coffee cultivation, which recently Australia tried to grab for peanuts... And if we were such lousy colonialists, why did Timor choose Portuguese far an official language, when only a minority of Timorese could speak it?...Why did they ask for Portuguese troops to balance the Australian military presence?... Whatever you say, Australia is to Timor very much what you accuse Russia being towards the Baltic states...
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Translation:

When anyone else does it, it is reprehensible.

When we or the Russians do it, then it is good.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Misdirection.

One wrong, real or imagined, does not justify another.

If you want to debate E Timor, take to the appropriate thread.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:I thought that the Pill of Murti-Bing was a purely work of fiction. Apparently not.
The Captive Mind begins with a discussion of the novel Insatiability by Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz and its plot device of Murti-Bing pills, which are used as a metaphor for dialectical materialism, but also for the deadening of the intellect caused by consumerism in Western society.
Apparently it applies to Japanese society too... :D
Only goes to show how little you know about Japanese society.

Top marks, yet again, for consistency.

Also, discussions about Japan belong in the Japan thread.
HAL 10000

Post by HAL 10000 »

In this video a Swedish economist explains why discussing immigration is a taboo in Sweden:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHsXWYaTlik

UHsXWYaTlik

And in this article he gives more details:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... -sanandaji
The name HAL is derived from "Heuristically Programmed ALgorithmic Computer." HAL 10000 is the new generation computer destined to become the successor to HAL 9000, as suggested in Arthur C. Clarke's book.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NY Times | The Finns Party Campaigned Against Climate Action. It Came in 2nd.
A Finnish political party that campaigned against ambitious climate change policies won the second-highest number of seats in parliamentary elections on Sunday, in a vote in which global warming became a polarizing issue.

The Finns Party did even better than predicted by recent polls during the campaign. It was almost tied in the popular vote with the winning party.

Although the Finns, a right-wing populist party, is unlikely to be part of a new government, its performance Sunday may give it more of a voice in the country’s politics.

The vote reflected a growing fragmentation among voters.

While the other eight parties running for office endorse strong measures to fight climate change, the Finns Party seized on the issue as a new front in culture wars. It argued that aggressive climate change policies are an elitist approach that hurts the working class.

A similar dynamic set off the “Yellow Vest” protests against a fuel tax increase in France. And Germany’s far-right party, Alternative for Germany, has assailed the science behind clean-air policy.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

eI5DPt3Ge_s
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I spent 12 days in Denmark and could never peg the accent.
Censorship isn't necessary
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

https://quillette.com/2019/06/11/its-ti ... emergency/

interesting. In the US MSM, Europe is either insignificant or paradise. And the most paradise like European nations mentioned are always either Norway or Sweden.
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/no ... 023-10-31/

the stinky fermented fish people are wishing they had less kebab people.
Denmark, which aims to only accept refugees under the UN's quota system, has drawn strong criticism from the United Nations and human rights groups alike as its immigration policies have toughened over the past decade.

However, the Danish model has become more popular as anti-immigration voices have gained traction across the Nordic region.

The Swedish government is looking towards Danish immigration policies as the country battles gang violence caused by "an irresponsible immigration policy and a failed integration," Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said last month.
ultracrepidarian