Syria

Ibrahim

Re: Syria

Post by Ibrahim »

noddy wrote:watching many of the anti war leftists spin the need for permanent war has been fascinating.

Militarism is the only issue on which there is a bipartisan consensus. Only the fringe left and certain parts of the fringe right are opposed to endless foreign wars and increased military spending.

Hard to see what the Syrian deployment was supposed to accomplish at this point. Sad to see the US abandoning the Kurds again, though.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Ibrahim wrote:
noddy wrote:watching many of the anti war leftists spin the need for permanent war has been fascinating.

Militarism is the only issue on which there is a bipartisan consensus. Only the fringe left and certain parts of the fringe right are opposed to endless foreign wars and increased military spending.

Hard to see what the Syrian deployment was supposed to accomplish at this point. Sad to see the US abandoning the Kurds again, though.
progressives and neocons nearly always agree on every issue for the "what", they just make a huge song and dance about the reasons for "why" and make it sound like they are on opposite sides.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Wow. You guys are way way off.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ibrahim wrote: Hard to see what the Syrian deployment was supposed to accomplish at this point. Sad to see the US abandoning the Kurds again, though.
Maybe Canada can step up for a change.

And in your simple sentence you revealed a geo political reality of cosmic proportions, unwittingly. And I'm not picking on you here but this simply can't be passed up.

Despite all the protesting, screaming, foaming at the mouth and bloodshot eyes of inflamed leftists since GWB, nearly everyone in the world is perfectly happy to have the US be the police of the world, and perfectly happy to let the US make all the moral choices, because you trust the US over any other body on planet earth. You just can't be honest about it.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Simple Minded wrote: yep. consistency is not the strong suit of either side/party over here. half a generation (10 years?) on one side of any issue is about as long as either can stand.
Fortunately we have some people who are above the 2 sides, who form a 3rd superior point, and we all know what 3 points make.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Simple Minded wrote: yep. consistency is not the strong suit of either side/party over here. half a generation (10 years?) on one side of any issue is about as long as either can stand.
Fortunately we have some people who are above the 2 sides, who form a 3rd superior point, and we all know what 3 points make.
Well, in Euclidean geometry three non-collinear points define a 2D plane, so

Flatland
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

AFP | Syria force takes IS bastion, ‘caliphate’ wiped out
Kurdish-led forces pronounced the death of the Islamic State group’s nearly five-year-old “caliphate” Saturday after flushing out diehard jihadists from their very last bastion in eastern Syria.

Fighters of the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces raised their yellow flag in Baghouz, the remote riverside village where diehard jihadists of a variety of nationalities made a desperate, dramatic last stand.
Well done. Good riddance.

The Kurds were completely screwed by the game of colonial empires. And continue to be so by the post-colonial powers.
54730393_2292880437416613_4580303529914138624_o.jpg
54730393_2292880437416613_4580303529914138624_o.jpg (125.32 KiB) Viewed 8798 times
54770984_2292880520749938_4110566027652235264_o.jpg
54770984_2292880520749938_4110566027652235264_o.jpg (145.85 KiB) Viewed 8798 times
55564194_2293799357324721_8536449527471669248_o.jpg
55564194_2293799357324721_8536449527471669248_o.jpg (68.71 KiB) Viewed 8793 times
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/10/artic ... ing-kurds/
A wounded president is prone to making bad decisions. That’s the only explanation for Donald Trump’s blatant sellout of the Kurds in northern Syria.

His move is being condemned in Europe and the United States, with Republican Senator Lindsey Graham and former UN ambassador and leading Republican Nikki Haley leading the charge. Graham says he will move a resolution in the US Senate, which is likely to garner strong bipartisan support. But it won’t matter because Senate resolutions don’t bind the president.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:26 am https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/10/artic ... ing-kurds/
A wounded president is prone to making bad decisions. That’s the only explanation for Donald Trump’s blatant sellout of the Kurds in northern Syria.

His move is being condemned in Europe and the United States, with Republican Senator Lindsey Graham and former UN ambassador and leading Republican Nikki Haley leading the charge. Graham says he will move a resolution in the US Senate, which is likely to garner strong bipartisan support. But it won’t matter because Senate resolutions don’t bind the president.
Except Trump is not disabled but rather on the offense, and leaving Syria is a great step forward for America. This is nothing but the neocon wailing and gnashing of teeth.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:54 pm
noddy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:26 am https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/10/artic ... ing-kurds/

Except Trump is not disabled but rather on the offense, and leaving Syria is a great step forward for America. This is nothing but the neocon wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Trump's stated reason for sending US troops into Syria: Destroy the Islamic state. It has been destroyed. But I guess Trump lost the endless war monger vote.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Have the US troops in Syria actually departed or withdrawn to other territory in Syria to enable the Turks to invade?
If the latter, then it's a load of bollocks, the US is simply choosing sides, poorly in my view, rather than disengaging from the ME.

I'm wholly sympathetic to the plight of the Kurds as they are the only modern civilized group in the ME besides the Jews.

Now here's an ally worth propping up

BBC | US to deploy thousands of extra troops to Saudi Arabia
kmich

Post by kmich »

If We Have to Choose Between Compromise and Genocide, We Will Choose Our People
The Kurds’ commander in chief explains why his forces are finally ready to partner with Assad and Putin...
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

kmich wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:14 pm If We Have to Choose Between Compromise and Genocide, We Will Choose Our People
The Kurds’ commander in chief explains why his forces are finally ready to partner with Assad and Putin...
No-fly zone over NE Syria enforced by Russians and Syrians to keep Turkey gvt and jihadis out? Can imagine the Kurds would like that.

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/statu ... 5866634240
Deep down I'm very superficial
Doc

Post by Doc »

People need to remember that there are basically two large tribes of Kurds. One in Syria and One in Iraq.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
kmich

Post by kmich »

Doc

Post by Doc »

Trump has removed 50 US troops from along the 20 mile wide strip in Syria that borders Turkey. While leaving those troops and around 950 others that were in Syria before the pull back. IE Trump has not abandon the Kurds. Despite what MSM outlets like ABC which the other day showed video of the carnage in Syria because of Trump's terible decision to pull out of Syria That video it turns out was from a rifle range in Kentucky Amazing how far and wide Trump's decision to "Pull out of Syria" is when it causes carnage in the middle of the US 10,000 miles away.

Pf8PvDMPgI8

Now Ergodan has two stated reasons for occupying the 20 mile wide strip along its border

They are
1) To create a buffer against the Kurds(small fraction of them, but he lumps them all together) that have been making terror attacks inside of Turkey.
2) Create a safe zone for the up to 4 million Syrian refugees in Turkey that is inside of Syria.

Ergodan says the alternative is for the EU to take them. Or for him to stop preventing them from going to the EU.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

The propaganda machine is running strong on Syria. I do know Turkey is a NATO ally, and Syria has explicitly disinvited US participation.

Certainly there are mercenary and intelligence assets involved and we will never know the details, but the geopolitical basics and Trump’s promise to get us out of the Middle East leads me to support the President on this.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
kmich

Post by kmich »

Doc

Post by Doc »

kmich wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:28 pm Assad Is Now Syria’s Best-Case Scenario
After 500,000 dead and millions of refugees from a failed Obama Regime Change to remove Assad:
As depressing as it is to write this sentence, the best course of action today is for President Bashar al-Assad’s regime to regain control over northern Syria. Assad is a war criminal whose forces killed more than half a million of his compatriots and produced several million refugees.
Assad is "The One" the neo liberal war hawks have been waiting for. :roll:
In a perfect world, he would be on trial at The Hague instead of ruling in Damascus. But we do not live in a perfect world, and the question we face today is how to make the best of a horrible situation.
So when do the war crimes trials for Hillary and Obama begin? (not to mention the many at Foreign Policy DOT com that actively pushed for this slaughter)
noddy

Post by noddy »

Its hard to argue any of the euro/american interventions in the middle east have resulted in better outcomes, no matter how bad the dictator being removed was presented.

power vacuums and chaos are rarely improvements.

On that level, for Trump pulling out, their is no good time, it just needs to happen.

the question is how much it actually happens, I cant see Israel or Saudi Arabia going without help any time soon.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »