Typhoon,

That's clear enough.

Alex.
Typhoon

Re: The eternal US elections - 2016 edition

Post by Typhoon »

Indeed.

One would think so.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
Typhoon wrote: Sure. An upward trend should be read as a downward trend.
Selection bias conceals trends, that's why you guys use selection bias.
Reagan the debt monger. Sorry the chart and data do not square with your beliefs.
The line item veto is what lead to the falling debt VS GDP during the Clinton years. The Democrats were against it to the point they filed a lawsuit and the courts struck it down.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Never ceases to amaze how well conditioned the US electorate is to act against their own interests.

Now we can all look forward the gig economy.
All for the cost of 14 F-35 development programs? Quite the bargain deal.
Not even close Seems you are getting Trillion with a "T" confused with Billion with a "B"
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Never ceases to amaze how well conditioned the US electorate is to act against their own interests.

Now we can all look forward the gig economy.
All for the cost of 14 F-35 development programs? Quite the bargain deal.
Not even close Seems you are getting Trillion with a "T" confused with Billion with a "B"
I don't think so.

S & S | Pentagon issues scathing report on the F-35
The Pentagon's top weapons tester has condemned aspects of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program in a new report, raising questions about the $1.5-trillion effort's ability to meet its already slipped production schedule, synthesize information on the battlefield and keep aircraft available to fly.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
Reagan the debt monger. Sorry the chart and data do not square with your beliefs.
The line item veto is what lead to the falling debt VS GDP during the Clinton years. The Democrats were against it to the point they filed a lawsuit and the courts struck it down.
If POTUS is not all powerful, then why the current fuss?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
The place between irrelevant and all powerful?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
The place between irrelevant and all powerful?
That not the impression one gets from the way many people have been talking about the candidates.

And the way some candidates talk about themselves.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Two more debates: one Demopublican and one Republicrate.

The last before the next primary in NH I suppose.

Any winners? Losers?

All I heard was that Trump was soundly booed. :shock:
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I've given up on primary debates. Watching life insurance ads is more informative.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-kasich ... hampshire/

Not a bad tactical move. The next person who jumps into the race on the Dem side just might win the nomination.

Mr. Perfect, Zack, Doc, Alex, you guys got any spare time over the next 9 months?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:http://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-kasich ... hampshire/

Not a bad tactical move. The next person who jumps into the race on the Dem side just might win the nomination.

Mr. Perfect, Zack, Doc, Alex, you guys got any spare time over the next 9 months?
A politician with bipartisan appeal. An endangered species in US politics.

The headlines say the Rubio got rumble fished in the debate.
Nastarana

Post by Nastarana »

Notes from the USA: The Democratic primary

WARNING: SPECULATION FOR WHICH I HAVE NO PROOF LIES AHEAD

I admit I have no proof, but for what it may be worth, here is what I think about the two Democratic candidates.

First, I still think this the weakest field the Democratic Party had put out in decades.

About Sen. Sanders: I think he loves being Senator from Vermont, where he can take all kind of quixotic positions in Congress and still win elections back home. I think, my own opinion, he does not now and never did want or expect to be president. He seems to me to be clearly uncomfortable with the trappings of celebrity; Mrs. Clinton equally clearly revels in the attention.

I suspect the Sanders campaign began back when Benny Netanyahoo invited himself to address the US Congress without bothering to go through diplomatic niceties like being invited the way other heads of state do, the wimps. Sanders, like a lot of other people, was outraged and I believe Sen. Sanders was the first member of congress to publicly announce he would not attend. I doubt anyone can believably accuse Sanders of being against Israel. His non-attendance gave cover for others to also be absent. That much is known. Now comes the speculative part.

I can't help thinking that some of the more reasonable, that is not insane, members of the pro-Israel lobby approached Sanders with a request he could not refuse. Something like, "Look Bernie, this bum Benny is killing us. Obama can't control him and we can't control him. He is conspiring with Hillary to blow up the entire Mideast and when they do, the world will hate Israel and the USA both for the next 500 years. We know you are 74 and you love the job you have now, but we don't have anyone else we can turn to. All you have to do is make a good showing, let the party bosses see for themselves just how crazy and unelectable this harpy is. We will take care of finances and don't worry, we will make it through small donations, all kosher and above board, all our cousins and friends and their cousins and so on will be spending their own money, nothing questionable about it. Have your campaign send out the usual emails and we will also be sending out ours, no bribes or illegalities involved. We can provide you with security, you know how good we are at that, security that not even the press will see. Just make sure you stay off small airplanes and don't be in a hotel room alone; have your wife along and one of our guys will be near at all times." It would also not surprise me to learn that some parts of the military establishment, a group for which Col Wilkerson might be a spokesman, are discreetly making sure that Sen. Sanders stays alive.

The rest we have seen. When Sanders says in interviews that he is surprised by the amount of support he is receiving, he is telling his original supporters that he might not be able to control his own following.

About Mrs. Clinton. At one time, when she still lived in Alabama, she had a best friend or lover, I don't know the details and don't want to know them, named Vince Foster. There seems to be no question but that he loved her, and when she went to Washington, he followed his beloved to be near her and help her anyway he could. Whatever the details of the relationship may have been, I think he was the keeper of her heart, and when he died, and I know of no good reason to doubt he committed suicide, her heart died also. And, where the heart used to live, there now resides a core of bloodlust and ambition. Like Obi Wan said about Vader, "He is more machine than man, now."

She has recruited no fewer than 170 well known African-American women to campaign for, and with, her in the Southern states, and also some women Senators to do the same for and with her in New Hampshire. This is the tactics of desperation. Sen. Claire McCaskill has likely just ruined a once promising career by her outspoken support of Clinton, and Sen. Klobuchar, a classy lady of whom I am a fan, needs to climb onto the next helicopter off of this shipwreck waiting to happen.

Someone seems to have sent out an aging Carl Bernstein--yes, that Carl Bernstein--to deliver a stern warning to her to get her act together. The warning even included a reference to Watergate resembling her email affair, as in, what we did to Nixon we can do to you.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Nastarana wrote:.

I admit I have no proof, but for what it may be worth, here is what I think about the two Democratic candidates.

First, I still think this the weakest field the Democratic Party had put out in decades.

About Sen. Sanders: I think he loves being Senator from Vermont, where he can take all kind of quixotic positions in Congress and still win elections back home. I think, my own opinion, he does not now and never did want or expect to be president. He seems to me to be clearly uncomfortable with the trappings of celebrity; Mrs. Clinton equally clearly revels in the attention.

I suspect the Sanders campaign began back when Benny Netanyahoo invited himself to address the US Congress without bothering to go through diplomatic niceties like being invited the way other heads of state do, the wimps. Sanders, like a lot of other people, was outraged and I believe Sen. Sanders was the first member of congress to publicly announce he would not attend. I doubt anyone can believably accuse Sanders of being against Israel. His non-attendance gave cover for others to also be absent. That much is known. Now comes the speculative part.

I can't help thinking that some of the more reasonable, that is not insane, members of the pro-Israel lobby approached Sanders with a request he could not refuse. Something like, "Look Bernie, this bum Benny is killing us. Obama can't control him and we can't control him. He is conspiring with Hillary to blow up the entire Mideast and when they do, the world will hate Israel and the USA both for the next 500 years. We know you are 74 and you love the job you have now, but we don't have anyone else we can turn to. All you have to do is make a good showing, let the party bosses see for themselves just how crazy and unelectable this harpy is. We will take care of finances and don't worry, we will make it through small donations, all kosher and above board, all our cousins and friends and their cousins and so on will be spending their own money, nothing questionable about it. Have your campaign send out the usual emails and we will also be sending out ours, no bribes or illegalities involved. We can provide you with security, you know how good we are at that, security that not even the press will see. Just make sure you stay off small airplanes and don't be in a hotel room alone; have your wife along and one of our guys will be near at all times." It would also not surprise me to learn that some parts of the military establishment, a group for which Col Wilkerson might be a spokesman, are discreetly making sure that Sen. Sanders stays alive.

Seconded

pretty much the case :lol:

YMix

Post by YMix »

Nastarana wrote:The rest we have seen. When Sanders says in interviews that he is surprised by the amount of support he is receiving, he is telling his original supporters that he might not be able to control his own following.
Disturbing, if true.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nastarana wrote:The rest we have seen. When Sanders says in interviews that he is surprised by the amount of support he is receiving, he is telling his original supporters that he might not be able to control his own following.
Oddly enough, I thought the exact same thing about Obama in 2008. He wanted to be elected POTUS, not God. They weren't interested in a mere human. closest thing I have ever seen to a Third World Cult of Personality in America.

Now it seems to be Trump's turn.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nastarana wrote:Notes from the USA: The Democratic primary

WARNING: SPECULATION FOR WHICH I HAVE NO PROOF LIES AHEAD

First, I still think this the weakest field the Democratic Party had put out in decades...........
very Interesting Nastarana. Thanks for posting.

None of my hardcore Liberal Democratic friends think Hilary is electable. Less than a third of those who would not vote for a Republican if their life depended on it, plan to vote for Hilary.

The fascinating thing to me is, with a field this weak, where are the challengers in the Dem party? What were they told (threatened?) by the Dem machine to keep them out? Why does the Dem machine think she can win? Is the vote count already fixed?
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I think Sanders was encouraged to run and make H look more moderate, and was genuinely surprised by his success. The party thought Sanders had no chance but needed somebody else to run or there would be no debates for H to pose in. H thought she was going to be shadow boxing, and both were flabbergasted to find themselves in a genuine race.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
manolo

Post by manolo »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:I think Sanders was encouraged to run and make H look more moderate, and was genuinely surprised by his success. The party thought Sanders had no chance but needed somebody else to run or there would be no debates for H to pose in. H thought she was going to be shadow boxing, and both were flabbergasted to find themselves in a genuine race.
Nonc,

Something like this happened with Corbyn in the UK, with predictable results. These guys were not meant to be, even less than Trumpety.

(Oh God, I've started with the sensational spelling thing. :( )
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Seconded.
Simple Minded wrote:The fascinating thing to me is, with a field this weak, where are the challengers in the Dem party? What were they told (threatened?) by the Dem machine to keep them out? Why does the Dem machine think she can win? Is the vote count already fixed?
Indeed. The Republican field is certainly not deep, but it is broad.

[Avoiding the obvious pun to follow.]

The Demopublican field consists of a venal harpy and an elderly gentleman eccentric from Vermont.

Is there really no one else in the entire Demopublican party? Or does the Clinton gang have the party elders by the balls?
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Martin O'Malley jumped in to play the role of good party solider, loyal opposition, however you want to put it. He was the one definitely asked to be the Washington Generals to Hillary's Harlem Globetrotters. I suppose for the usual goodies that come with that sort of task. Sanders was tolerated as opposition because it was figured he'd be an easy knock off candidate, and would ultimately be deferential to Hillary.

That O'Malley sunk so quickly is the shock of things not going according to plan. While it is surprising how well Sanders is doing (I'm sure to Sanders himself too, ) his mission from day one was to do well...winning a chance at the white house just wasn't originally feasible, and now it seems to be.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Martin O'Malley jumped in to play the role of good party solider, loyal opposition, however you want to put it. He was the one definitely asked to be the Washington Generals to Hillary's Harlem Globetrotters. I suppose for the usual goodies that come with that sort of task. Sanders was tolerated as opposition because it was figured he'd be an easy knock off candidate, and would ultimately be deferential to Hillary.

That O'Malley sunk so quickly is the shock of things not going according to plan. While it is surprising how well Sanders is doing (I'm sure to Sanders himself too, ) his mission from day one was to do well...winning a chance at the white house just wasn't originally feasible, and now it seems to be.
Nonc Hilaire wrote:I think Sanders was encouraged to run and make H look more moderate, and was genuinely surprised by his success. The party thought Sanders had no chance but needed somebody else to run or there would be no debates for H to pose in. H thought she was going to be shadow boxing, and both were flabbergasted to find themselves in a genuine race.
well said gents. Kinda like war games where someone substitutes live ammo for blanks. Or the interview where the reporter asks the professional wrestler if they are faking it and then gets knocked out.

The stagecraft is understandable, the surprise is that the puppetmasters didn't realize how the audience would react.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Seconded.
Simple Minded wrote:The fascinating thing to me is, with a field this weak, where are the challengers in the Dem party? What were they told (threatened?) by the Dem machine to keep them out? Why does the Dem machine think she can win? Is the vote count already fixed?
Indeed. The Republican field is certainly not deep, but it is broad.

[Avoiding the obvious pun to follow.]

The Demopublican field consists of a venal harpy and an elderly gentleman eccentric from Vermont.

Is there really no one else in the entire Demopublican party? Or does the Clinton gang have the party elders by the balls?
Walter Chronkite: "... and that's the way it is."

Sounds like you're on the verge of an epiphany of understanding the appeal of limited government to those hardcore troublemakers who don't view themselves as either perennial victims or perennial oppressors.

Average Fred: "Really? You think I'm so stupid as to think you actually care about me, and that you can run my life better than I? Wow! How dumb do you think I am?"
Nastarana

Post by Nastarana »

Simple Minded wrote:
Nastarana wrote:

The fascinating thing to me is, with a field this weak, where are the challengers in the Dem party? What were they told (threatened?) by the Dem machine to keep them out? Why does the Dem machine think she can win? Is the vote count already fixed?

I wish I knew. O'Malley was brought in to convince Catholics to vote for Democrats. I can imagine what Papa Francis thinks about that idea.

Interesting, about Corbyn, Manolo.

The Dem party apparatus is owned by their large donors, who don't know and could not care less about popular sentiment. What is worrying me is that we have no peace candidate on either side. Mme. Clinton is a known bloodthirsty warmonger, and her election would be a catastrophe. I only hope the Republicans can manage to get her impeached and removed from office before she starts WWIII, which we cannot possibly win. I DO NOT want to find myself in front of some post war truth commission conducted by Chinese or Russian or Indian officials to determine why we let her get away with it.