Romania

YMix

Re: Romania

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:37 amthe maths has to be that 3 months of living on the floor and eating communal stew gives you more money than you can earn back home, so its usually free food and sleeping, it literally costs the farmer only a couple of dollars a day.
Vegetable and fruit picking in UK
https://ro.jooble.org/jdp/-293322530906 ... 0039284139

down, toward the bottom:
"Se asigură cazare tip share, în case mobile cu 2-3 dormitoare, condiții decente (aproximativ £50/săptămână), sunt incluse curentul, apa, dușurile, spălare lucruri și gătit."
"Share-type hosting is provided, in mobile houses with 2-3 bedrooms, decent conditions (approximately £50/week), electricity, water, showers, laundry and cooking are included."

Farming in Germany
https://ro.jooble.org/desc/860851666053 ... 0812029523

"Transportul revine in sarcina muncitorului si costa 100 euro,iar cazarea in containere ,chiria pentru container este de 6,69 euro/zi /persoana cu toate utilitatile incluse in pret (electricitate,salubritate,apa,lenjerie de pat complecta )chiria cazarii va fi retinuta din salariu"
"Transport is the worker's responsibility and it costs 100 euros, living in containers, container rent is 6.69 euros/day/person with all utilities included in the price (electricity, hygiene, water, full bedding), the rent will be deducted from the pay"

Since food isn't mentioned, I assume it's solely the workers' responsibility. The math is ok, but employers will squeeze every single cent they can.

More here (use Google Translate or ask and ye shall receive): https://ro.jooble.org/locuri-de-munca-s ... e-germania
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
noddy

Post by noddy »

ok, so the conditions are less dodgy than I was accustomed to, so they pay a nominal fee.

Cant imagine their is alot of other living options for 50 pounds a week in either of those countries - certainly isnt over here.

the backpackers rough guide says its more like 50 pounds a day to live even that lifestyle

https://www.thebrokebackpacker.com/back ... uide/#cost
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

A backpacker is an individual wandering around and having fun. Working 8 to 10 hours a day in the fields is a bit different.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
noddy

Post by noddy »

in most countries back packer accommodation is the cheapest available accommodation, so was the best metric for if they could do better than the provided one.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:55 am in most countries back packer accommodation is the cheapest available accommodation, so was the best metric for if they could do better than the provided one.
On paper, the accommodation doesn't sound bad. In practice... if you paid 100 euros to get there and you found that the employer had lied through his teeth and the actual accomodation is a derelict shack with no running water, are you going to spend another 100 to come home empty handed or just accept the situation?

Same thing applies to pay. Not to mention that the "agents" who find workers willing to go abroad are almost all crooks and promise more than what's actually on the table.
noddy

Post by noddy »

plenty of Australian part time laboring jobs you get less than a derelict shack and no running water, Im surprised the average Romanian field hand is living it up so much :)
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

Et tu, Daily Fail?

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:08 pm plenty of Australian part time laboring jobs you get less than a derelict shack and no running water, Im surprised the average Romanian field hand is living it up so much :)
Sounds like if Merikan's were more like Mexicans, Yurps were more like Romanians, and Strayans were more like Asians....... the whole world would be a better place. :shock:

Oughta be a lesson in there someplace. :?
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:37 pm
noddy wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:08 pm plenty of Australian part time laboring jobs you get less than a derelict shack and no running water, Im surprised the average Romanian field hand is living it up so much :)
Sounds like if Merikan's were more like Mexicans, Yurps were more like Romanians, and Strayans were more like Asians....... the whole world would be a better place. :shock:

Oughta be a lesson in there someplace. :?
only need to go back to our fathers and grandfathers generations to find folks living even poorer.

maybe the cashed up Romanian field hands will be the generation that raises entitled middle class kids, hopefully the robots are doing the picking by then or we are screwed.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

YMix wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:10 pm Et tu, Daily Fail?
you need to find one of the older front pages about dodgy Romanian mafia types stealing all our jobs and make a nice framed diptych.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:40 am
only need to go back to our fathers and grandfathers generations to find folks living even poorer.

maybe the cashed up Romanian field hands will be the generation that raises entitled middle class kids, hopefully the robots are doing the picking by then or we are screwed.
It's all about timing. It's a short step from being invaders to saviors. Not so long ago, it was probably hard for a Romanina (Romanino?) to get laid in England.

YMix, if your one of the migrant laborers, bang as many British birds as you can now while you still can.

Yesterday I issued a decree to the Geneticists at the SimpleMindedStan Ministry of Human Repair and Improvement (#thefuturebelongstothebold) to start researching and experimenting with creating a Romanian/Mexican/Asian Hybrid Drone Laborer.

Thanks to Social Media advertising, we have plenty of semen stored in bedsheets and preserved in liquid Nitrogen. :P Getting samples from the honeybees is proving more problematic.

YMix, I sent $14.99 to your PayPal account. Don't spend it all on one woman!
YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:42 amyou need to find one of the older front pages about dodgy Romanian mafia types stealing all our jobs and make a nice framed diptych.
Yeah, but... can't beat the classics.

YMix

Post by YMix »

Simple Minded wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:05 pmIt's all about timing. It's a short step from being invaders to saviors. Not so long ago, it was probably hard for a Romanina (Romanino?) to get laid in England.
It depends. If you're a man doing low paid manual work, yeah, it's hard. But if you're a young woman willing to "entertain" for money...
A group of would-be holidaymakers who flew in a private jet from London to the Côte d’Azur in France has been turned back by police.

Seven men and three women arrived on the chartered aircraft to Marseille-Provence airport, where helicopters were waiting to fly them on to Cannes, where they had rented a luxury villa.

The men, aged 40-50, and women, aged 23-25, were refused permission to enter France and ordered by police to fly back to the UK.

[...]

Once the Embraer Legacy jet had landed at Marseille-Provence, the group, made up of several nationalities including Croatian, German, French, Romanian and Ukrainian, reportedly tried to get help from contacts to continue their journey.
You can guess who was who.
YMix, I sent $14.99 to your PayPal account. Don't spend it all on one woman!
You are such a liar. I'm PM-ing you my account details. This is your one and only chance to redeem yourself by sending me $29.99. Don't blow it.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:33 pm

You are such a liar. I'm PM-ing you my account details. This is your one and only chance to redeem yourself by sending me $29.99. Don't blow it.
No PM yet.

Isn't $29.99 like the average annual salary for a Romanian?

Promise me you will still go to work, cause you are no doubt a essential worker. Don't be selfish, do it for the children.

Don't blow it on two women! Use it as a downpayment on a house or something to stimulate the economy!
YMix

Post by YMix »

Simple Minded wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:04 pmNo PM yet.

Isn't $29.99 like the average annual salary for a Romanian?

Promise me you will still go to work, cause you are no doubt a essential worker. Don't be selfish, do it for the children.

Don't blow it on two women! Use it as a downpayment on a house or something to stimulate the economy!
Make it $49.99 so I can retire early AND stimulate the economy at the same time.
YMix

Post by YMix »

YMix

Post by YMix »

S&A is one of the companies advertising vacancies on the Pick for Britain website, which was launched earlier this week as part of the Government’s bid to help farmers find workers for the summer and harvesting season.

S&A describes itself as a “grower, importer, exporter and packer of soft fruit and asparagus”.

Its adverts for Irrigation Assistants, which pays an hourly rate of between £8.21-£8.98, states: “To apply for a skilled position, you will need to speak Romanian and/or Bulgarian fluently. English language is essential for some positions.”

The Environment Department, which oversees the Pick for Britain campaign, has yet to respond to a request for comment.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11681202/ ... -romanian/
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Strong asparagus skills. Sounds like a resumé killer to me.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:11 pm Strong asparagus skills. Sounds like a resumé killer to me.
Also dog whistle, code language for "I'm a hardcore racist!"

I used to cut (not pick) asparagus back when the best part of YMix was running down his mama's thighs.

$0.25 a peck IIRC. And I was Grateful!!!!
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:11 pm Strong asparagus skills. Sounds like a resumé killer to me.
Actually, if you ignore the academic, Ivy League college variations, Romanian is a very simple, language which facilitates clear communication.

Lesson 1:
"Hey you lazy bastards! Quit jerking off and get back to work or I'll send the whole stinking bunch of you back to Hell!"

Lesson 2:
"You want some water? Boo F**kin Hoo! We didn't have water when I was your age. I'm not paying you to play with yourself! Get back to work!"

The fun part is, if you don't talk to a Romanian like that, they think you don't care about them on a personal level. So it's kinda a win-win situation. Higher self esteem for all involved.

Back in the good ole days, before child protective services, all parents spoke Romanian.
noddy

Post by noddy »

YMix wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:34 pm
S&A is one of the companies advertising vacancies on the Pick for Britain website, which was launched earlier this week as part of the Government’s bid to help farmers find workers for the summer and harvesting season.

S&A describes itself as a “grower, importer, exporter and packer of soft fruit and asparagus”.

Its adverts for Irrigation Assistants, which pays an hourly rate of between £8.21-£8.98, states: “To apply for a skilled position, you will need to speak Romanian and/or Bulgarian fluently. English language is essential for some positions.”

The Environment Department, which oversees the Pick for Britain campaign, has yet to respond to a request for comment.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11681202/ ... -romanian/
I love the schizophrenia of middle class westerners when it comes to cheap food and vegetables.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:57 amI love the schizophrenia of middle class westerners when it comes to cheap food and vegetables.
Let them eat asparagus.

yRjTMaG2H-o

Germany: Asparagus farm workers protest poor living conditions near Bonn
noddy

Post by noddy »

YMix wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:34 pm hourly rate of between £8.21-£8.98
in Aus minimum wage for adult fast food/shop employees is about $20 an hour, which is currently 10.27 pounds.

so thats crazy low.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:42 am
noddy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:57 amI love the schizophrenia of middle class westerners when it comes to cheap food and vegetables.
Let them eat asparagus.

yRjTMaG2H-o

Germany: Asparagus farm workers protest poor living conditions near Bonn
its all bout supply and demand. if they want to make more money they should get jobs picking cocaine or hand sanitizer.......

I hear the Romanians picking toilet paper for the black market are crushing it right now.....
YMix

Post by YMix »

Simple Minded wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:03 pmits all bout supply and demand. if they want to make more money they should get jobs picking cocaine or hand sanitizer.......

I hear the Romanians picking toilet paper for the black market are crushing it right now.....
That's a good point. Since we're Western Europe's Mexicans, we might as well start pushing drugs.