Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies

Now, what news on the Rialto?
Typhoon

Re: Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:53 pm It’s not a smoking gun. It is a criminal investigation in progress, and it is revealing how cryptoscams work.
"Mitch McConnell BUSTED Taking Zelensky’s Stolen FTX Money According To New FEC Docs"

https://thetruthpatriots.com/terrible-y ... -fec-docs/

"Uniparty Minority Leader Mitch McConnell Busted Taking Zelensky’s FTX Money"

https://thelibertydaily.com/uniparty-mi ... ftx-money/

The FEC document cited has nothing in it to support these claims → morons.

Tools exist to

examine individual wallets and analyze tokens: Etherscan

generate flow diagrams of wallets and individual tokens: Bitquery

DeFi participation: zapper.fi

These type of unsupported accusations strike me as a highly amateur - Keystone Kops - version of the type of "presumption of guilt until proven guilty" lawfare that has been ongoing against Trump.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

As always, there were a few people who were able to smell the bullsh*t before the before the big flush.

Two examples

1. 2022 - Oct - 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbDiWXFxqr8

VbDiWXFxqr8

The FTX - SBF analysis starts at ~ 36:10

2. 2022 - Nov - 04

Dirty Bubble Media | Is Alameda Research Insolvent?
The hedge fund's finances appear to rest on the same scheme that destroyed Celsius Network. Will it work out any differently for Sam Bankman-Fried?
Sam Bankman-Fried, better known as SBF, has a reputation for being the smartest guy in the room. The crypto billionaire controls both one of the largest crypto hedge funds, Alameda Research, and one of the largest crypto exchanges, FTX. He has appeared in the thick of multiple crypto company failures, bailing out crypto lender Blockfi and acquiring most of the assets of Voyager Digital after their respective failures. Some have even compared his role during the recent crypto rout to J.P. Morgan during the crisis of 1907. However, a recent leak suggests that SBF’s crypto empire rests on some questionable foundations.

On November 2nd, a report from Coindesk shared some critical financial details from Alameda Research, the crypto hedge fund controlled by crypto mogul Sam Bankman-Fried (“SBF”). Coindesk reported that they had obtained a copy of the hedge fund’s Q2 balance sheet. According to their reporting, the company’s balance sheet is comprised of:

Total assets: $14.6 billion. This is comprised of $5.8 billion FTT token, $1.2 billion Solana token (SOL), $3.37 billion in unidentified “crypto held,” $2 billion in “investments in equity securities.” This leaves roughly $2.2 billion in assets. According to our sources, hundreds of millions of dollars of the remaining assets are comprised by Alameda’s holdings of the Serum (SRM), Oxygen (OXY), MAPS, and FIDA tokens, all of which are from other SBF projects. According to this balance sheet, Alameda only had $134 million in cash on hand in June 2022.

Total liabilities: $8 billion, of which $7.4 billion is “loans,” with another $292 million worth of FTT token owed. The remainder is unidentified by the Coindesk article.

This purported leak of Alameda’s financials demonstrates that the firm’s largest asset is its holdings of “FTX Token (FTT),” issued by none other than SBF’s FTX Exchange. The FTT token on Alameda’s balance sheet is roughly 1/3 of their total assets and equal to 88% of Alameda’s net equity. In other words, the firm’s largest asset is a crypto token issued by SBF’s other company, with a very significant portion of their assets in tokens issued by other related parties.

It’s almost as if SBF found a way to hack the financial system, printing billions of dollars out of thin air against which he was able to borrow massive sums from unknown counterparties. Almost as if he discovered a financial perpetual motion machine…

A flywheel, perhaps?

Crypto_Flywheel.jpg
Crypto_Flywheel.jpg (123.97 KiB) Viewed 3150 times

The basic architecture of a flywheel scheme

The flywheel scheme, named in honor of my favorite flywheel schemer
Readers of this site will recall that the now-defunct Celsius Network, a multi-billion dollar crypto lending firm (Ponzi scam) with very close ties to SBF, was destroyed in part by its token, CEL. Celsius Network was built around the CEL token, under the brilliant idea that it could be used to spin up billions of dollars in free assets. The structure of a flywheel scheme is quite simple:

Create a token: Tokens are literally just bits of code on a blockchain. Program that sucker up and get rolling. Make sure you retain the majority of those tokens on your balance sheet for maximum flywheeling.

Pump the token’s price: Retain a “market maker.” Buy tokens using your customer’s assets. Wash trade it to infinity. Do whatever it takes to drive that price sky-high! And since you kept most of the tokens for yourself, there’s that many fewer tokens out there to pump.

Mark those babies to market: That’s right! Now you reap your rewards; at least, on paper. Now you can show billions of dollars in “assets” on your balance sheet.

Show off your success: Now’s the time to cash in. Hook some savvy investors (suckers), like pension funds, into massively overpaying for your equity or into making you big loans collateralized by your token.

Keep that flywheel spinning: Now you have real dollars. Buy yourself something nice, like stadium naming rights, politicians, or failed crypto companies. But don’t forget: If the flywheel stops spinning, you’re gonna have a bad time.

Of course, nothing is really this simple. It turns out that the flywheel scheme is just another bit of unsustainable financial engineering, for a couple of reasons. First, as your drive the price of your token higher, it begins to cost more to keep the price up; the people that own the token are increasingly incentivized to sell out, forcing you to buy more tokens at higher prices. Eventually, you either run out of money, own all of the tokens in existence, or stop buying. Which you can’t do, because if you stop it all comes crashing down.

More critically, it turns out that marking massive quantities of totally illiquid assets to market only generates wealth on paper. Celsius, despite holding hundreds of millions in CEL above liabilities, cannot liquidate any significant portion of those tokens without crashing the price of the token to zero. Such is the danger of controlling over 90% of the total tokens in circulation when nobody wants to own them in the first place!
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Ana explains:

hedge fund :: fudged hen
Deep down I'm very superficial
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:57 am Well, FTX is now history.

Now more interested in the so-called stable coins, eps Tether and whether each unit is actually backed by a US dollar or liquid equivalent [US govt bonds, etm.] or not.
https://www.revolver.news/2022/11/sam-b ... ypto-bcci/
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

. . . fears are swirling that $10 billion bitcoin and crypto giant Digital Currency Group (DCG) could be in trouble after its crypto lender Genesis was forced to pause withdrawals and reports emerged it's seeking an emergency $1 billion loan.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Here cometh down Crypto!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/MtXBhi54HAg

MtXBhi54HAg
Deep down I'm very superficial
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:09 am
. . . fears are swirling that $10 billion bitcoin and crypto giant Digital Currency Group (DCG) could be in trouble after its crypto lender Genesis was forced to pause withdrawals and reports emerged it's seeking an emergency $1 billion loan.
AFR - Bloomberg | Crypto broker Genesis warns of bankruptcy [paywalled?]
Nov 22, 2022 – 9.14am

Digital asset brokerage Genesis is struggling to raise fresh cash for its lending unit, and is warning potential investors that it may need to file for bankruptcy if its efforts fail, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

Genesis, which has faced a liquidity crunch in the wake of crypto exchange FTX’s bankruptcy filing this month, has spent the past several days seeking at least $US 1 billion ($AUD 1.5 billion) in fresh capital, the people said. That included talks over a potential investment from crypto exchange Binance, they said, but funding so far has failed to materialise.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

@CryptoCred

Genesis Timeline

November 8: "No material net credit exposure"

November 9: We lost $7M

November 10: Okay, we have $175M locked in FTX

November 16: Sorry, no withdrawals or new loans

November 17: Okay, we need $1BN

November 21: We'll go bankrupt without the money
@CryptoCred

Genesis should rebrand to Exodus
noddy

Post by noddy »

seems we are running out of bigger idiots.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:41 am seems we are running out of bigger idiots.

I'd wager that you'll be surprised at the supply of greater fools - idiots.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

r/buttcoin | How is Binance* supposed to work?

*Binance, the current cryptocurrency lender/saviour of last resort, as FTX was before it.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Crypto lender BlockFi files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Group had at least 100,000 creditors and liabilities of up to US$ 10 billion
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

None of these cryptocurrency exchanges have produced an audited balance sheet to-date showing both assets and liabilities.

Instead, they have come up with a so-called "proof of reserve" audit which only lists [electronic paper] assets.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The new new math:

QED.png
QED.png (47.5 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

D1602AEF-770C-4BBB-9932-8A8B10B8B2BB.jpeg
D1602AEF-770C-4BBB-9932-8A8B10B8B2BB.jpeg (415.61 KiB) Viewed 2974 times

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

WSJ | Rising Tether Loans Add Risk to Stablecoin, Crypto World [paywlled?]
Tether reports hadn’t disclosed that loans it issues are denominated and payable in the token
Tether Holdings says it lends only to eligible customers and requires that borrowers post lots of ‘extremely liquid’ collateral.

By Jonathan Weil
Dec. 1, 2022 5:30 am ET

The company behind the tether stablecoin has increasingly been lending its own coins to customers rather than selling them for hard currency upfront. The shift adds to risks that the company may not have enough liquid assets to pay redemptions in a crisis.

Tether Holdings Ltd. says it lends only to eligible customers and requires that borrowers post lots of “extremely liquid” collateral, which could be sold for dollars if borrowers default.

These loans have appeared for several quarters in the financial reports that Tether shows on its website. In the most recent report, they reached $6.1 billion as of Sept. 30, or 9% of the company’s total assets. They were $4.1 billion, or 5% of total assets, at the end of 2021.

Tether calls them “secured loans” and discloses little about the borrowers or the collateral accepted. Alex Welch, a Tether spokeswoman, confirmed that all of the secured loans listed in the reports were issued and denominated in tether. The company said the loans were short-term and that Tether holds the collateral.

Tether, which is incorporated in the British Virgin Islands, doesn’t publish audited financial statements or a complete balance sheet, leaving outsiders with an incomplete picture of the company’s financial health. “Tether’s disclosures are limited to the information contained in the mentioned reports,” Ms. Welch said.

The rise in Tether’s lending represents a broad risk to the crypto world. Stablecoins such as tether are anchors in the system. They are vital for trading many cryptocurrencies and are widely held by traders. The premise of tether—and other stablecoins—is that the issuer always will redeem one coin for $1. Issuers take pains to demonstrate they have ample funds available to do so.

The company’s reports show only U.S. dollar amounts for the loans and don’t say the loans were made in tether tokens. The reports also say the loans were “fully collateralized by liquid assets.”

“I’ve been very skeptical and in disbelief that they can get away with the lack of disclosure and with the limited transparency,” said Peter Crane, president of Crane Data, which tracks money-market funds. “If you do have reserves, why wouldn’t you show them?” Both money-market funds and stablecoins like tether are supposed to maintain a value of $1.

The vast majority of the assets listed in Tether’s reports are in cash, Treasury bonds and other safe instruments easily converted to dollars. Loans are different. Tether can’t be certain the loans will be paid back, that it could sell the loans to a buyer for dollars in a pinch or that the collateral it holds will be adequate.

In times of financial stress, that uncertainty might lead investors to rush to redeem their tether, knowing the last ones to do so might not get paid right away. This is a version of a run on the bank.

“Eligible clients are borrowing USDT,” Ms. Welch said, using an abbreviation for tether. “Loans are overcollateralized by extremely liquid assets that Tether’s prudent risk management admits as collateral.”

Tether tokens don’t pay interest, so Tether can easily profit by investing in safe, low-yielding securities such as Treasurys. Ordinarily, lenders charge borrowers higher rates than Treasurys pay, which makes lending potentially more profitable. Tether doesn’t disclose the terms of its loans.

The lending of tether tokens is at odds with some of the company’s other disclosures. Its website suggests that it only issues tether tokens when buyers hand over a currency such as the dollar. “Tether only issues new tether tokens when they are requested and purchased by customers,” the website says. It also says all tokens are backed 100% by Tether’s reserves.

Tether took the unusual step of discussing a borrower’s identity when crypto bank Celsius Network LLC collapsed in July. Tether at the time said its “Celsius position has been liquidated with no losses to Tether.”

While the statement was meant to calm investors, it also highlights the risk of Tether’s loans. Tether in a separate news release on Nov. 17 said it “was able to liquidate Celsius’s collateral with such precision that Tether was even able to return some of the collateral.” Because Tether doesn’t disclose the collateral in its reports, it is impossible for investors to know details of what was sold and under what conditions.

Tether discloses the loans’ amortized cost, a financial term that includes an allowance for credit losses. Amortized cost could be higher than the loans’ market value—which is the amount Tether could get for the loans in a sale.

The big declines in crypto markets, exacerbated by the recent bankruptcy filing of cryptocurrency exchange FTX, mean that some collateral held by Tether could be worth less than it was when the loans were made. Celsius used bitcoin as collateral for its loan from Tether, according to Tether’s statement at the time. Bitcoin has fallen 63% this year. Tether doesn’t say what the loans’ market value is, or whether the collateral includes cryptocurrencies.

Tether’s Ms. Welch said the loans’ market value “has not been assessed materially different from the amortized cost.” She declined to say if the collateral includes cryptocurrencies. “Tether does not disclose and has never disclosed this information to the public,” she said.

As the crypto industry struggles in the wake of FTX’s collapse, the question of how the SEC will react is unanswered. Here’s what past investigations tell us about how the SEC sees cryptocurrency and may regulate it moving forward.

Tether has also left it unclear whether any of its loans are to related parties, which can be a red flag for investors. Tether’s reports used to say that none of the loans were to affiliated entities. However, it dropped that language starting with its report for the second quarter of 2022. Ms. Welch wouldn’t say why Tether dropped the language and declined to say how much, if any, of Tether’s loans were to related parties as of Sept. 30.

Like a bank or a money-market fund, Tether promises safety: The company says it always will give holders $1 per coin if they redeem them. But banks are required to hold large capital cushions to absorb losses in case their assets decline sharply in value. Money-market funds must hold short-term assets with minimal credit risk. None of the $5 trillion of assets held by U.S. taxable money-market funds were loans as of Oct. 31, according to Crane Data.

Tether’s latest reserves report, released Nov. 10, showed total assets of $68.06 billion and total liabilities of $67.81 billion as of Sept. 30. That left a thin capital cushion of about $250 million, equivalent to just 0.4% of assets, up from $137 million, or 0.2% of assets, as of Dec. 31. Most of the assets appeared to be highly liquid and shown at fair market values.

Because Tether’s loans are denominated in tether, their market value fluctuates with the price of tether—and thus so does the market value of the company’s reserves. “If tether falls, and they have loans that can be repaid in tether, then by definition it’s not backed up by a dollar,” said William VanDenburgh, an accounting professor at College of Charleston in South Carolina, who has written about Tether and followed it closely.

This might not be a problem, so long as tether trades very close to its $1 peg. Yet on Nov. 10, one unit of tether fell as low as 97.7 cents. On May 12, it fell as low as 95.6 cents. It is now at $1.

A 4% reduction in the value of Tether’s loans would have erased the company’s $250 million capital cushion. A market-value haircut of that size wouldn’t be unusual. Lately, it has become the norm for banks’ loans to trade at a discount to book value.

Among publicly traded U.S. banks listed on major exchanges, 36% of them reported that their loans’ market value was more than 4% below their balance-sheet amount as of Sept. 30, according to data provided by S&P Global Market Intelligence.

In addition to loans, Tether’s report showed $2.6 billion of “other investments” as of Sept. 30, which it reported with no accompanying disclosure of market value. In its Dec. 31 report, Tether showed $5 billion of “other investments (including digital tokens),” without providing a breakdown.

“They should be giving the fair value on all the underlying assets,” Mr. VanDenburgh said. “We don’t know if they can pay off dollar-for-dollar based on all their claims against them if they had a major run on the funds.”
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Dirty Bubble Media | A forgotten banking scandal suggests FTX is the tip of the crypto iceberg [paywalled?]
Fraud, money laundering, and corruption on a global scale, yet regulators seem asleep at the wheel. This has happened before...
“History never repeats itself, but it does often rhyme.”

2022 - Nov - 28

As the FTX-Alameda criminal enterprise continues to unwind, onlookers have been treated to an ever-more-shocking series of revelations. It appears that FTX functioned as a slush fund for insiders who misappropriated billions of dollars in customer funds through unsecured loans. FTX apparently covered trading losses on the Alameda side and made venture investments using stolen customer money. To buy legitimacy, FTX spread hundreds of millions of dollars among politicians, prominent charities, Ivy League universities, and influencers.

Meanwhile, regulators and legislators have failed to explain their abject failure to identify or intervene in this massive fraud. Despite many warning signs and people sounding the alarm for years, FTX continued to grow and insinuate itself into both the nation’s financial and political spheres. SBF openly described his business model as a Ponzi scheme, yet found open doors when he came calling to Washington, DC. Legislators who received donations from FTX actively intervened to prevent the SEC from investigating FTX, and SBF was allowed to help craft cryptocurrency regulations that are still under consideration in Congress.

While the scope of the FTX saga may seem unprecedented, it turns out that this has happened before. Thirty years ago, the collapse of a major international bank exposed a rat’s nest of fraud, money laundering, terrorism, and corruption. The firm cloaked itself through its philanthropy, making donations to prominent figures and charities. The firm’s allies included a former U.S. Secretary of Defense and former U.S. President Jimmy Carter, among other prominent figures across the world. The bank’s name was BCCI, and the similarities between this forgotten scandal and the FTX saga are stunning.

The Bank of Crooks and Criminals
The Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI) was founded in 1972 by a Pakistani banker named Agha Hasan Abedi. BCCI was initially backed by investments from the Bank of America and the ruler of Abu Dhabi. In his career prior to founding BCCI, Abedi had cultivated close ties with a number of wealthy Arab magnates and political figures, and these individuals would continue to play a critical role in the course of the bank’s development.

BCCI grew rapidly. By 1980, it had over $4 billion in deposits and was doing business in over two dozen countries. Despite increasing concerns in the United States about the bank’s legitimacy, in 1982 BCCI managed to secretly take over a Washington, DC bank called Financial General Bankshares by funding a group of straw buyers. To provide further cover, the bank holding company named Clark Clifford, a former U.S. Secretary of Defense and well-connected political figure, as its chairman.

On the surface, BCCI appeared to be a legitimate bank offering services to many countries where few others were willing to do business. Behind the scenes, however, was one of the largest criminal conspiracies in the history of finance. From the earliest days of its existence, BCCI used customer deposits to finance its growth and expenses. BCCI covered massive trading losses using customer money, and made billions in unsecured loans to insiders.

BCCI also operated as a money launderer extraordinaire for all comers. Its client list reads like a who’s who of infamy: Saddam Hussein, Manuel Noriega, the Marcos family, the Medellin cartel, and many other terrorists, criminals, and corrupt political figures.

Perhaps the most fascinating, and controversial, aspects of BCCI’s business was its relationship with U.S. intelligence agencies. According to extensive reporting by Time magazine and others, the bank was used by the CIA and other intelligence agencies to launder funds, finance illegal arms deals, and finance operations throughout the world:

The Iran-contra affair may be only part of a broader and previously undisclosed pattern of illegal activities by intelligence agencies… Sources close to the unfolding investigation of the Bank of Credit & Commerce International told TIME that U.S. intelligence agencies, including the CIA, maintained secret accounts with the globe-girdling financial empire, which has been accused of laundering billions of dollars in drug money, financing illegal arms deals and engaging in other crimes.

Of particular significance was the bank’s involvement in the Iran-contra affair, a major scandal during the Reagan administration that involved illegally selling arms to Iran to finance right-wing guerrillas in Nicaragua. Adnan Khashoggi, a Saudi billionaire arms dealer with extensive ties to the CIA, used BCCI loans to finance the arms purchases. This isn’t a conspiracy theory; the link between Khashoggi, BCCI and Iran-contra was confirmed by the Senate report on the BCCI scandal:

Both Saudi businessman Adnan Khashoggi and Iranian arms merchant Manucher Ghorbanifar were central agents of the United States in selling arms to Iran in the Iran/Contra affair… Khashoggi acted as the middleman for five Iranian arms deals for the United States, financing a number of them through BCCI….

After the bank’s collapse in 1991, it emerged that other bankers, law enforcement and intelligence agencies had known about BCCI’s involvement in criminal activity for years. How did BCCI manage to evade detection for so long?

First, BCCI used a convoluted corporate structure that ensured only a small group at the top had complete knowledge of the bank’s activities. BCCI operated as a “bank within a bank:” the outer entities provided seemingly legitimate bank services, while the inner structure committed theft and money laundering. At the same time, BCCI was able to establish some legitimacy by somehow convincing major auditors like Ernst & Young and PwC to sign off on their incredibly questionable financial statements.

Second, BCCI used charity to purchase legitimacy. In England, BCCI funded charitable programs in Africa associated with Cambridge University and endowed a research fund chaired by a senior policy advisor to British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. BCCI made sure to contribute to well-connected and prominent charitable outlets with political connections. In 1982, for example, BCCI donated $100,000 to the Third World Foundation's Peace Prize. The prize was awarded to then Tanzanian president Julius Nyerere, and the person who gave the prize away was former Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.

The bank’s founder Abedi even became close friends with former president Jimmy Carter under the guise of charity. Abedi made millions of dollars in donations to Carter’s various philanthropic ventures and let Carter use BCCI’s custom Boeing 727 to travel the globe. Carter, whose moral reputation is perhaps the best of any president in recent memory, returned the favor by frequently appearing in public with Abedi. Carter treated Abedi as a close personal friend, intervening to help Abedi during a health crisis and coming to visit him in the hospital.

Through these methods and, perhaps, more underhanded means, BCCI had built substantial political clout in the U.S., U.K., and many other countries. As a consequence, investigations by Customs officials and others were stymied by interventions by powerful individuals. Intelligence agencies with an interest in the bank’s survival may have intervened in investigations to limit their scope and success. Politicians also protected BCCI. As late as 1990, not long before the full extent of the firm’s criminal activities was revealed, prominent senator Orrin Hatch took to the floor of the Senate to defend the bank’s reputation.

BCCI eventually collapsed under the combined weight of insolvency and belated regulatory action. While many of its former executives saw prison time, most of the stolen funds were not recovered, and many journalists and others involved in the scandal assert that much of the bank’s illegal activities went unrevealed and unprosecuted.

So to review: BCCI was a criminal enterprise that bought the appearance of legitimacy through donations and political contributions. BCCI used a convoluted corporate structure to obfuscate its activities. BCCI also managed to covertly take over a U.S.-based and -regulated bank and use it for money laundering. BCCI stole customer funds to hide losses, cover expenses, and give to insiders. BCCI was involved in massive money laundering and some of the biggest scandals of the time.

Sound familiar?

FTX is only one piece of the puzzle. Meet Tether and Deltec Bank.
The New York Times recently reported that in March of 2022 FTX made an investment of $11 million in the holding company that owns Farmington Bank, a tiny rural bank in Washington state. At the time, the bank had a net worth of only $5 million. The bank’s chief digital officer Janvier Chalopin subsequently stated that this investment was for a 10% stake in the bank, conferring a valuation of $115 million to Farmington. This is what Farmington Bank looks like:

Farmington_Bank.jpg
Farmington_Bank.jpg (531.66 KiB) Viewed 2951 times

This is what $115 million gets you? Inflation is really out of control…

Shortly before FTX’s investment, the bank was renamed “Moonstone” as a reference to the company’s new target clientele. As explained to Protos by Janvier Chalopin:

Playing on ‘to the moon’ and ‘stone’ for our target industries of digital assets and hemp/cannabis related business.

After FTX’s investment, the bank experienced a sudden period of rapid growth. In the third quarter of 2022, the bank’s deposits shot up from $10 million to $80 million, almost entirely from the contributions of four still-unidentified entities.

Tether_Market_Cap.jpg
Tether_Market_Cap.jpg (138.69 KiB) Viewed 2951 times

The chairman of Farmington Bank’s holding company is Jean Chalopin (Janvier’s father), the owner of Bahamas-based Deltec Bank. Bankruptcy proceedings have demonstrated that Deltec was also one of FTX’s major banking partners, working with both FTX and Alameda. Deltec allowed FTX/Alameda to do some odd things. For example, FTX customers were instructed to wire their deposits to Alameda, despite these two companies being officially distinct. Deltec was the bank that processed these payments:

At the same time, Deltec is the primary banking partner of Tether, Inc., the company that claims to hold over $60 billion in assets backing the largest dollar stablecoin in crypto. Just as an aside, it is worth noting that Tether’s previous banking partner was a shadow bank that was caught laundering money for drug cartels. Tether’s leadership has direct links to crime as well: It was recently shown that Tether’s CFO and CEO were involved in one of the largest VAT tax evasion schemes in European history. Tether has paid large fines to the CFTC and the state of New York for lying about the state of their supposed reserves.

The connections between FTX and Tether are well-established, as Alameda Research was Tether’s largest customer. Between 2014 (Tether’s creation) and October 2021, Tether distributed $108 billion USDT to other entities, receiving back $32.7 billion. Alameda received over $36 billion USDT from Tether up until October 2021, accounting for over 30% of the total USDT issued. According to Protos, 81% of this was issued between October 2020 - October 2021. This corresponds to a period of rapid growth in Tether’s market cap from $15 billion to $71 billion:

Tether’s market cap grew massively over 2021, the same period that Alameda received ~80% of its USDT
It is possible that some of the USDT Alameda received were later redeemed for real dollars, meaning the net dollar amount sent to Tether by Alameda could be less than $36 billion. However, it is highly improbable that Alameda alone redeemed all $32 billion sent back to Tether in that period. Conservatively, Alameda must have sent Tether many billions of dollars in assets. And, assuming that Tether is telling the truth and receives real U.S. dollars in exchange for USDT, those funds must have flowed through Deltec Bank.

We now know that SBF and his companies were outright frauds who stole customer deposits to finance their activities. Theoretically, we could attribute some of the Tether issuance to stolen funds, but this would not come anywhere close to $36 billion: If their internal balance sheet is accurate, FTX owes around $6 billion in dollar liabilities to its former customers.

Where did these billions of dollars come from? And what parts of the FTX-Deltec- Tether relationship are yet to be revealed?

Maybe history doesn’t repeat itself. But it certainly rhymes. And we aren’t the first to recognize similarities between the story of FTX, Tether, and BCCI.
Doc

Post by Doc »

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.fnlondon.com/articles/esg-f ... l-20221117
ESG firm raises eyebrows for ranking collapsed crypto giant FTX higher on governance than Exxon Mobil
FactSet's Truvalue Labs says viral tweet was 'cropped to omit' that the now-collapsed crypto firm had been given an overall 'laggard' score compared to industry peers

Mining cryptocurrencies requires vast amounts of electricity, which is often coal-generated Getty Images
By
Kristen McGachey
Thursday November 17, 2022 12:00 pm
AI-driven ESG ratings firm Truvalue Labs has defended its methodology after awarding collapsed crypto giant FTX a higher score for governance than Exxon Mobil.

A screenshot of an ESG analysis for FTX — by FactSet-owned Truvalue Labs — went viral on 13 November, showing Sam Bankman-Fried’s embattled FTX scoring higher for ‘Leadership & Governance’ than oil giant Exxon Mobil. FTX filed for bankruptcy on 11 November.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd1oBwxOMNk

xd1oBwxOMNk

https://youtu.be/AAnRXnfhmAY?t=1201
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Molly White | FTX contagion chart

While all eyes are on FTX and SBF, the elephant in the room is Tether which claims that each bitcoin is backed by US $1 but has repeatedly stalled to provide a proper audit: balance sheet listing both assets and liabilities, cash flow and income statements.

[Two of the founders were involved in a massive VAT scam in Europe.]
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Tether's Troubles in November 2022
I described Tether in 2019 as “the internal accounting system for the largest fraud since Madoff.” This remains true. Earlier in 2022, in the wake of the Luna/USDT collapse and shockwaves hitting the industry, I wrote that their May 2022 attestation showed that, even if one believes the contents of the attestation, they again went insolvent and required recapitalization.
The elephant in the room . . . hiding in plain sight?