Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Doc

Re: Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:Very interesting work. Thanks for posting it.
I am glad I found it and happy to post it.

This is the full play list for the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BZyds_ ... dgyJ2qU1yZ

There is some criticism of Furey and octonions.

However what I have seen resorts to actual personal attacks on her and others that have spent serious time studying them. Which would seem to say more about the critics fear of the subject. Presumably because no new particles have been discovered outside the Standard model and if the theories of the standard model in the octonion number system are true there won't be so much of a need to spend big $$ on state sponsored mega experiments to look for new particles.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:

Certainly. As there should be. Science progresses through constructive criticism. That which does not tolerate informed criticism is dogma.
Doc wrote: However what I have seen resorts to actual personal attacks on her and others that have spent serious time studying them. Which would seem to say more about the critics fear of the subject. Presumably because no new particles have been discovered outside the Standard model and if the theories of the standard model in the octonion number system are true there won't be so much of a need to spend big $$ on state sponsored mega experiments to look for new particles.
There is little correlation between pettiness and intelligence/ability.

The SM as is does not require octonions. Electromagnetism is represented by the [continuous Lie] group U(1), the weak force by SU(2), and the strong force by SU(3).
A longstanding goal is to unify these three forces of the SM by finding a larger group that contains these three groups. The first such theory developed was based on SU(5),
but it predicted proton decay which has been ruled out by experiment. The octionion work involves another group, the so-called exceptional group G2.
Will be interesting to see if this work leads to new testable predictions. New testable predictions are the reason to spend money to build mega [and other] experiments.
New approaches should always be welcome, especially that the predictions of the current favourite theory, supersymmetry, have not been observed.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:

Certainly. As there should be. Science progresses through constructive criticism. That which does not tolerate informed criticism is dogma.
Doc wrote: However what I have seen resorts to actual personal attacks on her and others that have spent serious time studying them. Which would seem to say more about the critics fear of the subject. Presumably because no new particles have been discovered outside the Standard model and if the theories of the standard model in the octonion number system are true there won't be so much of a need to spend big $$ on state sponsored mega experiments to look for new particles.
There is little correlation between pettiness and intelligence/ability.

The SM as is does require octonions. Electromagnetism is represented by the [continuous Lie] group U(1), the weak force by SU(2), and the strong force by SU(3).
A longstanding goal is to unify these three forces of the SM by finding a larger group that contains these three groups. The first such theory developed was based on SU(5),
but it predicted proton decay which has been ruled out by experiment. The octionion work involves another group, the so-called exceptional group G2.
Will be interesting to see if this work leads to new testable predictions. New testable predictions are the reason to spend money to build mega [and other] experiments.
New approaches should always be welcome, especially that the predictions of the current favourite theory, supersymmetry, have not been observed.
This is the criticism I referred to. Quite frankly the first paragraphs make me not want to read the rest.

https://motls.blogspot.com/2018/07/cohl ... field.html
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: . . .

This is the criticism I referred to. Quite frankly the first paragraphs make me not want to read the rest.

Luboš Motl is infamous in the theoretical physics community for

1. His fanatic cult-like defense of string theory and, more so, his complete intolerance of any and all alternative theories.
This despite string theory being unable to make a single testable prediction after decades of effort, from about the mid 1980's to today.

2. His nasty personal attacks against anyone he criticizes.

3. Being a jerk.

Having said that I have not read Furey's papers and taken the time to figure out their merit so I can't say if Motl's physics/math criticisms are valid or not.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:

Luboš Motl is infamous in the theoretical physics community for

1. His fanatic cult-like defense of string theory and, more so, his complete intolerance of any and all alternative theories.
This despite string theory being unable to make a single testable prediction after decades of effort, from about the mid 1980's to today.

2. His nasty personal attacks against anyone he criticizes.

3. Being a jerk.

Having said that I have not read Furey's papers and taken the time to figure out their merit so I can't say if Motl's physics/math criticisms are valid or not.
As far as I can tell his only criticism of Furey's work is she doesn't understand the Standard Model.

And I did look at some others he criticizes and note that many just ignore what he says altogether. Also noting that the first two such criticisms I came across are both women including Furey.

But you are quite right. The merit of Furey's research is still up in the air. She posted the videos a year ago but they received very little attention until Quora (republished in wired)published the article a few weeks.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nature | Special relativity validated by neutrinos
Neutrinos are tiny, ghost-like particles that habitually change identity. A measurement of the rate of change in high-energy neutrinos racing through Earth provides a record-breaking test of Einstein’s special theory of relativity.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

But you are quite right. The merit of Furey's research is still up in the air. She posted the videos a year ago but they received very little attention until Quora (republished in wired)published the article a few weeks.
Candidate theories of SM unification that "still need a bit more work" are a dime a dozen these days. No one has time to follow them all.

If Furey's work leads to concrete predictions testable by experiment today, then interest in her approach will rapidly increase.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

A Mathematician’s Lament (pdf)
by Paul Lockhart
Deep down I'm very superficial
Doc

Post by Doc »

2d or not 2d, that is the question.

The answer may be found here:

2DIl3Hfh9tY
Doc

Post by Doc »

2015 Nobel prize for Physics explained

87flPhLSeaw
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Tech Rev | Get ready for Atomic Radio

Sounds like the title of a 1950's sci-fi film, but it is something different.
Doc

Post by Doc »

wVgvQeIVS1E
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Interesting. The event horizons of black holes and background radiation at 13.7 billions light years may have more in common. Is our universe the inside of a black hole? Black hole cosmology.

Also Mr.P. would like Verlinde saying that the big bang theory is nonsensical. Not the bang itself though, but the idea that it occurred ex-nihilo. You cannot have something emerge from nothing.

Nice view on entanglement: no transfer of information faster than light is possible, better way is to understand entangled particles as "sharing" the information. It begs the question if non-entangled particles exist at all, or as a function of entropy.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote:Interesting. The event horizons of black holes and background radiation at 13.7 billions light years may have more in common. Is our universe the inside of a black hole? Black hole cosmology.

Also Mr.P. would like Verlinde saying that the big bang theory is nonsensical. Not the bang itself though, but the idea that it occurred ex-nihilo. You cannot have something emerge from nothing.

Nice view on entanglement: no transfer of information faster than light is possible, better way is to understand entangled particles as "sharing" the information. It begs the question if non-entangled particles exist at all, or as a function of entropy.
I have to say that it seems he is saying that the comic background radiation exists at the edge of the universe. If that it true that would mean that there is nothing beyond it Seems to be a problem since the "Big Bang" happened before galaxy formation and galaxies have been seen leaving the visible universe. Along with the Microwave back ground radiation being there no matter which direction one looks at. That implies either the MBR is moving slower than distance galaxies, or the MBR is not at the edge of the universe, but rather as an echo of the big Bang, everywhere
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

AIP | New world record magnetic field achieved
Record indoor magnetic field of 1200T generated by electromagnetic flux-compression.
Hsu6FG_3adU

By comparison, a state-of-the-art MRI scanner generates a field of 6T [Tesla], a common refrigerator magnet generates about 5 milliTesla [1 x 10^-3 T],
and the earth's magnetic field ranges between 25 to 65 microTesla [1 x 10^-6 T].
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

The practical application of magnetic fields is beyond impressive:

https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/vcr.htm
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

I have zero comprehension of any of it but apparently a clever person has been clever again.

https://www.sciencealert.com/top-mathem ... hypothesis
One of the world's most renowned mathematicians showed how he solved the 160-year-old Riemann hypothesis at a lecture on Monday - and he will be awarded US$1 million if his solution is confirmed.

Sir Michael Atiyah, who has won the two biggest prizes in mathematics - the Fields Medal and Abel Prize - took the stage at the Heidelberg Laureate Forum in Germany on Monday to present his work.

To solve the hypothesis you need to find a way to predict the occurrence of every prime number, even though primes have historically been regarded as randomly distributed.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:I have zero comprehension of any of it but apparently a clever person has been clever again.

https://www.sciencealert.com/top-mathem ... hypothesis
One of the world's most renowned mathematicians showed how he solved the 160-year-old Riemann hypothesis at a lecture on Monday - and he will be awarded US$1 million if his solution is confirmed.

Sir Michael Atiyah, who has won the two biggest prizes in mathematics - the Fields Medal and Abel Prize - took the stage at the Heidelberg Laureate Forum in Germany on Monday to present his work.

To solve the hypothesis you need to find a way to predict the occurrence of every prime number, even though primes have historically been regarded as randomly distributed.
Skepticism surrounds renowned mathematician’s attempted proof of 160-year-old hypothesis

Seems unlikely, given that he invokes the fine structure constant,
a dimensionless quantity that is derived from four experimentally measured, i.e., not derived from theory, parameters:
electric charge, vacuum permittivity, Planck's constant, and the speed of light.
However, I'm in no position to judge the math; know bupkes about number theory.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I have had "Riemann hypothesis" as a alert in my google alerts since way way back, and I did not get an alert for this. :evil:

Not so sure if the Clay institute will except this proof:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17NBICP ... rEKuY/view
There are also logical issues that will emerge. To be explicit, the proof of RH in this
paper is by contradiction and this is not accepted as valid in ZF, it does require choice.
I
fully expect that the most general version of the Riemann Hypothesis will be an undecidable
problem in the Gödel sense.

https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Definition:ZF
Definition:ZF
Definition

ZF is an abbreviation for Zermelo-Fraenkel Set Theory. It is a system of axiomatic set theory upon which the whole of (at least conventional) mathematics can be based.

Its basis consists of a system of Aristotelian logic, appropriately axiomatised, together with the Zermelo-Fraenkel axioms of Set Theory.

These are as follows:

The Axiom of Extension: Two sets are equal if and only if they have the same contents.

The Axiom of the Empty Set: There exists a set that has no elements.

The Axiom of Pairing: For any two sets, there exists a set to which only those two sets belong.

The Axiom of Subsets: For every set and every condition, there corresponds a set whose elements are exactly the same as those elements of the original set for which the condition is true.

The Axiom of Union: For every collection of sets, there exists a set that contains all the elements that belong to at least one of the sets in the collection.

The Axiom of Powers: For each set, there exists a collection of sets that contains amongst its elements all the subsets of the given set.

The Axiom of Infinity: There exists a set containing a set with no elements and the successor of each of its elements.

The Axiom of Replacement: For any set $S$, there exists a set $x$ such that, for any element $y$ of $S$, if there exists an element $z$ satisfying the condition $P \left({y, z}\right)$ (where $P \left({y, z}\right)$ is a propositional function), then such $z$ appear in $x$.

The Axiom of Foundation: For all non-null sets, there is an element of the set that shares no member with the set.

Note that in this system, the (controversial) Axiom of Choice is not included.
Which leads me to a conundrum: Do I sell everything I own and buy gold or not?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc

Post by Doc »

I have looked and still have not found an explanation of a double slit experiment where one wave/particle at a time goes through the slits.

Other questions:

Is the wave / particle duality a duality of mass/energy?
What happens when the slits are observed but the screen is placed at a much larger distance? IE how long does it take an observed particle to revert back to a wave? Or do they not revert back to waves ever?

It would seem to me, and I could be completely wrong, that unobserved particles in the quantum realm would at some point revert to waves as part of uncertainty. Or whatever made them "ring" in the first place would still be in effect.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
I have looked and still have not found an explanation of a double slit experiment where one wave/particle at a time goes through the slits.

Other questions:

Is the wave / particle duality a duality of mass/energy?
What happens when the slits are observed but the screen is placed at a much larger distance? IE how long does it take an observed particle to revert back to a wave? Or do they not revert back to waves ever?

It would seem to me, and I could be completely wrong, that unobserved particles in the quantum realm would at some point revert to waves as part of uncertainty. Or whatever made them "ring" in the first place would still be in effect.
Here's one of the best simple explanations:

Feynman Lecture Notes | Quantum Behavior
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Symmetry Mag | Five [current] mysteries the Standard Model can’t explain
The Standard Model is a thing of beauty. It is the most rigorous theory of particle physics, incredibly precise and accurate in its predictions. It mathematically lays out the 17 building blocks of nature: six quarks, six leptons, four force-carrier particles, and the Higgs boson. These are ruled by the electromagnetic, weak and strong forces.

“As for the question ‘What are we [made of]?’ the Standard Model has the answer,” says Saúl Ramos, a researcher at the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM). “It tells us that every object in the universe is not independent, and that every particle is there for a reason.”

For the past 50 years such a system has allowed scientists to incorporate particle physics into a single equation that explains most of what we can see in the world around us.

Despite its great predictive power, however, the Standard Model fails to answer five crucial questions, which is why particle physicists know their work is far from done.
Mr. Perfect

Re: Quantum weirdness

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I don't have any special insight into quantums, but I think these really cut to the chase better than anything else I've come across.

This is really cool.

p7bzE1E5PMY

BMIvWz-7GmU
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Censorship isn't necessary