Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Parodite

Re: Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Post by Parodite »

Doc wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:40 pm My crazy idea: I believe we can't see all of the spots on the dice. Or even there are dice we cannot see at all.
Risk of model and analogy: at one point they all break down. But if a model works, with applied mathematics to do the calc and make the tech... what more can we wish for.

I believe mathematics is the language of the Gods, the grammar of reality. Translating the Math into English however must be taken with a big chunk of salt. "Probability cloud", "quantum entanglement" (alias "spooky action at a distance") are poetic statements about realities unknown or not directly observed in an effort to illustrate the math.

Math lives and applies in many different realities: it structures the barking of a dog, the music of Bach, a nuclear device going off... Math is non-local, English is local. The two are always hard to blend. :)

As for spooky action at a distance, ie quantum entanglement; some proof will be in the pudding... Billions are spent on quantum computing: entangled q-bits that compute. I hope to be wrong, but quantum entanglement is not physically real as far as I can tell. Short selling on that tech could make you a trillionaire.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:56 pm
Doc wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:40 pm My crazy idea: I believe we can't see all of the spots on the dice. Or even there are dice we cannot see at all.
Risk of model and analogy: at one point they all break down. But if a model works, with applied mathematics to do the calc and make the tech... what more can we wish for.

I believe mathematics is the language of the Gods, the grammar of reality. Translating the Math into English however must be taken with a big chunk of salt. "Probability cloud", "quantum entanglement" (alias "spooky action at a distance") are poetic statements about realities unknown or not directly observed in an effort to illustrate the math.

Math lives and applies in many different realities: it structures the barking of a dog, the music of Bach, a nuclear device going off... Math is non-local, English is local. The two are always hard to blend. :)

As for spooky action at a distance, ie quantum entanglement; some proof will be in the pudding... Billions are spent on quantum computing: entangled q-bits that compute. I hope to be wrong, but quantum entanglement is not physically real as far as I can tell. Short selling on that tech could make you a trillionaire.
Mathematics has a proof that the universe is a shell with the "earth along the inner sphere and the rest of the universe towards the center. A theory(from the 1800's) that last time I checked could not be disproven mathematically.

When string theory came along the problem was not that there was no mathematical solution to the universe but that there were thousands of solutions and no one had any idea which one of correct.

There are some that dispute the results of Bell's theorem experiments . In fact it is a correlated statistical test that happens to fit Quantum mechanics relative to locality realism. But like Typhon likes to say correlation is not causation. Rather ironic given non locality results, infers no causation.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

APS - PRL | Turbulence Modeling No Longer a Drag
A new theoretical framework allows scientists to accurately estimate the friction a surface experiences in a turbulent flow,
such as an airplane wing flying through the sky.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

APS - Matter | Water Reduces Ground Coffee’s Charge
Adding water to coffee beans before grinding can reduce the buildup of static charge—and make a stronger espresso.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:28 pm APS - Matter | Water Reduces Ground Coffee’s Charge
Adding water to coffee beans before grinding can reduce the buildup of static charge—and make a stronger espresso.
So we should call this grounded coffee?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:19 am
Typhoon wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:28 pm APS - Matter | Water Reduces Ground Coffee’s Charge
Good one.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:16 am
Nonc Hilaire wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:19 am
Good one.
Sounds great. But I don't think my electric coffee grounder would agree,
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

Under pressure
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:56 pm

You push on a spring and you increase the mass of a spring. But the spring pushes back. Same with a wall. The same with a "massless" photon striking an atom. The amount of mass created is proportional to the amount of energy of the force. OR more exactly the rest mass of the atom + the energy of the Photon = the new mass. E=MC^2 IE M=E/C^2 For every force action there is an equal counter reaction.

However the C^2 makes the difference in M in M=E/C^2 almost immeasurable for human technology. Only at the highest energy levels can it be measure. Mostly in Atomic colliders. The most sensitive measuring device man has ever constructed in probably LIGO. Which can measure a distance that is 1/10,000 the radius of a proton. Which is 10^-20 meters. The plank lenght is ~ 1.616255 x10^-35 meters. IE we are many magnitudes away from being able to see what is directly going on.

The Inverse is not true. In an atom explosion a fusion of mass equivalent of the mass of a dollar bill creates a force of 10's of 1,000s of tons of TNT. Something that is very hard to ignore and write off as not real if you are close enough to it.

So is it reality or is it resonance?
https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-the- ... -20220126/
How the Physics of Resonance Shapes Reality

Seems like entangled particles are two particles in a kind of reverse resonance with each other. Their quantum state at the time of their measurement perhaps being dependent on the time when are measured.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Doc wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:07 pm So is it reality or is it resonance?
Interesting, thank you. Without talking from any qualified corner, QFT seems to me the area where all spooky weirdo "ougt not be" phenomena have a best chance to be understood, such as "quantum entanglement" and double slit magic.

Quantum resonance sounds like music to me ears. Would add quantum potential to quantum field theory however. Pilot wave etc may not have taken off much, can't judge why. Probably no added empirical value to the concept.

I associate potentials with probabilistic pull coming from the future, where of course "the future" is just an english word best used for poetry. Probability, like potential, refers to a future. Trick might be not to get bogged down by concepts like past-present-future as they merely arise in our human cognitive brains that create spatio-temporal maps of reality. It might be however that there is an accurate correspondance between these humanoid categories and real physical processes that supercede but also include our conscious maps.

Poetically described: any actual event E is the product of a past P that pushes and a future F that pulls. E=P*F

An event is the product of (its) past and future event cones. So God does play futuristic dice, it's just not the only thing he does. He also pushes you fowards walking on new sediments rocks.

https://www.quirkyscience.com/wp-conten ... Cone-1.png

Different past-future cones intersect with each other, be co-traveler to some limited time. We share some of our pasts and futures. Speed of light as an immutable constant and GR and SR account for what happens flawlessly.

Other pasts and futures may never meet anywhere, as they occur outside each others event horizons. Might be something to the "many worlds" interpretation of QM, but would rephrase it as non-intersecting event cones.

If the universe is only 14 billion years old, how can it be 92 billion light years wide?

Seems like entangled particles are two particles in a kind of reverse resonance with each other. Their quantum state at the time of their measurement perhaps being dependent on the time when are measured.
Yes, I think so.

What happens I visualize like a wobbly soap bubble being cut in half by a borium cristal quantum slicer knife. As a result both half-bubble twins are being sent out into space and go separate ways. Initially they are perfect symmetrical mirrored twins, also in their wobblyness. Instead of probability clouds where electrons are everywhere at the same time, I prefer wobbly soap bubbles. Like notes, products of resonance.

For as long as both remain undisturbed (i.e. dont crash into something with mass) they will remain these wonderfully mirrored symmetrical twins. They are not kept in some voodoo superstitious superposition and tied together by some invisible magic silver strings.. they are just both being "left alone" until some mass comes in their way (of one of them) like during a measurement.

If you use a measurement device that measures up-spin or down-spin, you will interfere with the wobbly bubble the moment it happens to wobble up or down.. All you can say is, that after you measured the soap bubble, it literally popped out of existence and that its symmetrical mirrored brother at that moment of measurement (if it is still alive and didn't pop out of existence yet) was in the opposite state of spin. i.e. up or down respectively.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

M Theory | Towards a theory of everything?

Another excellent visualization.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:29 pm
Doc wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:07 pm So is it reality or is it resonance?
Interesting, thank you. Without talking from any qualified corner, QFT seems to me the area where all spooky weirdo "ougt not be" phenomena have a best chance to be understood, such as "quantum entanglement" and double slit magic.

Quantum resonance sounds like music to me ears. Would add quantum potential to quantum field theory however. Pilot wave etc may not have taken off much, can't judge why. Probably no added empirical value to the concept.

I associate potentials with probabilistic pull coming from the future, where of course "the future" is just an english word best used for poetry. Probability, like potential, refers to a future. Trick might be not to get bogged down by concepts like past-present-future as they merely arise in our human cognitive brains that create spatio-temporal maps of reality. It might be however that there is an accurate correspondance between these humanoid categories and real physical processes that supercede but also include our conscious maps.

Poetically described: any actual event E is the product of a past P that pushes and a future F that pulls. E=P*F

An event is the product of (its) past and future event cones. So God does play futuristic dice, it's just not the only thing he does. He also pushes you fowards walking on new sediments rocks.

https://www.quirkyscience.com/wp-conten ... Cone-1.png

Different past-future cones intersect with each other, be co-traveler to some limited time. We share some of our pasts and futures. Speed of light as an immutable constant and GR and SR account for what happens flawlessly.

Other pasts and futures may never meet anywhere, as they occur outside each others event horizons. Might be something to the "many worlds" interpretation of QM, but would rephrase it as non-intersecting event cones.

If the universe is only 14 billion years old, how can it be 92 billion light years wide?

Yes, I think so.

What happens I visualize like a wobbly soap bubble being cut in half by a borium cristal quantum slicer knife. As a result both half-bubble twins are being sent out into space and go separate ways. Initially they are perfect symmetrical mirrored twins, also in their wobblyness. Instead of probability clouds where electrons are everywhere at the same time, I prefer wobbly soap bubbles. Like notes, products of resonance.

For as long as both remain undisturbed (i.e. dont crash into something with mass) they will remain these wonderfully mirrored symmetrical twins. They are not kept in some voodoo superstitious superposition and tied together by some invisible magic silver strings.. they are just both being "left alone" until some mass comes in their way (of one of them) like during a measurement.

If you use a measurement device that measures up-spin or down-spin, you will interfere with the wobbly bubble the moment it happens to wobble up or down.. All you can say is, that after you measured the soap bubble, it literally popped out of existence and that its symmetrical mirrored brother at that moment of measurement (if it is still alive and didn't pop out of existence yet) was in the opposite state of spin. i.e. up or down respectively.
I have come to the conclusion that there is not so much to explain as is generally presumed in the double slit experiment. That the wave function does not collapse at all upon measurement Just the coherence between the dual waves goes away. When coherence goes away on measurement, the pattern on the screen is not a point. It is overlapping smears of photons hitting the screen. When there are coherent waves, IE no measurement, there are smeared bands of strikes on the screen representing in phase and out of phase wave interference.

In lightning strikes the path of the lightning is path of least resistance. Streamers come up from the ground and the best path wins then Kaboom. Perhaps the photon wave function actually collapses to the point of highest potential. Or the point on the screen that allows it to be exactly the quantum packet it is.

I got a lot of this from this video by Sabrine Hossenfelder and stretched it a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQv5CVELG3U

And she linked to Sean Carroll

https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/bl ... um-eraser/

The only thing I could add to entanglement and quantum erasers is from the view of Photons traveling across the universe, and to a greater degree many other wave particles, time and space do not exist.

That maybe in our search for answers we are trying to force square pegs into round hole.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Doc wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:28 am I have come to the conclusion that there is not so much to explain as is generally presumed in the double slit experiment. That the wave function does not collapse at all upon measurement Just the coherence between the dual waves goes away. When coherence goes away on measurement, the pattern on the screen is not a point. It is overlapping smears of photons hitting the screen. When there are coherent waves, IE no measurement, there are smeared bands of strikes on the screen representing in phase and out of phase wave interference.
Coherence, decoherence, entanglement, collapse of the wave function, measurement etc.

For me there is a language barrier. My thinking on this issue always decoheres, probably because I tend to think primarily in visuals and the tactile world of touch. For a trained mathematician it's easier to think in mathematical terms only, as these concepts all translate into equations almost immediately. In my next life I hope to catch up on math and physics, so for now I'll stumble along and just deconstruct english sentences that don't make sense to me.

When a physicist explains the double slit expirement saying that "a single photon goes through both slits" I already stop taking him/her seriously. Not only because it sounds like nonsense but also because it probably is. I immediately suspect these people try to impress with supposed magic and mystery, the depth of which only they have been able to probe...

A more fair use of language would be to add the precursor as-if to statements:

Very large number of single photons sent through both slits equally but randomly and undetected before passing through, results in bands of spots exactly like the interference pattern produced by beams of light passing through both slits like wave fronts. It is as-if these single photons traveled through both slits, like wave fronts do. Now this is considered the complete and total magic of QM. I don't buy it.

Of course, if one holds on to the image of a photon as a bullet particle, the double slit experiment is pure magic. Going through both slits at the same time... impossible! As any magician knows.. the desired effect of mental shock-and-awe arises when the audience is distracted and kept in the dark on the essentials that are actually going on. Magic is always about creating as-if effects as convincingly as possible. Distraction and suggestion govern the field.

Before concluding that that the quantum world is fundamentally different from the classical world as we know it and "full of quantum magic"... one has to be serious about the possibility and power of the as-if effect. Is nature is pulling magic tricks on us? Rabbits out of a magic hats?

In the effort to resolve the double slit experiment, light was given two properties i.e. particle-like and wave-like, depending on the experimental setup. It is also possible however, that both "particle" and "wave" are as-if effects. Sometimes pulling a wave-like rabbit, on other occasions a particle-like dog out of the same magic hat. The magician wants you to believe the hat is magic, which is the only thing that matters. Rabbit and dog are a distraction.

Given that the wave function is a mathematical description of future events, i.e. a probability distribution it always remains to be seen what the wave function can say about the events that actually do occur from moment to moment. Which is why QM was considered incomplete also by Einstein. The infamous "God doesn't play dice". Again the problem might merely be language and our anthropomorphic sense of time. If you remove time from the equations, certain problems disappear.

I like my own poetic version: "the past pushes, the future pulls". Remove time, what remains is push-pull mechanics. The "probability distribution" represented by the wave function is then a real causal force like any other. Force fields represent push-forces, potentials represent pull-forces. Oh wait, things aint that simple of course.

Multi-directional force vectors in multi-dimensional spaces. Maybe 11 dimensions as in M-theory? All ripping through each other violently, with ripples and shivers traveling through the fabric of reality. The universe is a bomb that went off and is still expanding, that much seems certain.

Our anthropomorphic brain knows of 3 dimensions only, with time as a virtual 4th derivative. Perhaps most of what actually happens has to appear like rabbits and dogs out of magic hats to us. Just fathom Father God, Mother Nature or both...to only know how the tricks really work.

A Father God who wants to be worshipped preferably adds enough magic to his creations to seriously impress those trying to understand them. Mother Nature probably just wants to protect us from too much useless knowledge. Love is all you need, the rest a distraction.
In lightning strikes the path of the lightning is path of least resistance. Streamers come up from the ground and the best path wins then Kaboom.
Indeed...
Perhaps the photon wave function actually collapses to the point of highest potential.
Sounds correct to me. At every moment "the most likely" exhibits the strongest pull.
Or the point on the screen that allows it to be exactly the quantum packet it is.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:30 am M Theory | Towards a theory of everything?

Another excellent visualization.
Lovely.

Only one problem with regards to physics. M-theory, to-date, has no known relationship with our physical universe.

The "string theorists" have been at it for four decades now and have nothing to show for it.

Many of them, having devoted their entire professional careers to "string theory", are unable come to terms with this reality
and continue to insist, to the detriment of the field, that "string theory" is the only viable approach to a TOE.

Baghdad-Bob.jpg
Baghdad-Bob.jpg (25.52 KiB) Viewed 901 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

APS - Phys Rev Lett | Feynman’s Reversed Sprinkler Puzzle Solved
Which direction would an S-shaped lawn sprinkler rotate if it were submerged and the flow were reversed?
Experiments now provide a definitive answer.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:16 pm
Doc wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:28 am I have come to the conclusion that there is not so much to explain as is generally presumed in the double slit experiment. That the wave function does not collapse at all upon measurement Just the coherence between the dual waves goes away. When coherence goes away on measurement, the pattern on the screen is not a point. It is overlapping smears of photons hitting the screen. When there are coherent waves, IE no measurement, there are smeared bands of strikes on the screen representing in phase and out of phase wave interference.
Coherence, decoherence, entanglement, collapse of the wave function, measurement etc.

For me there is a language barrier. My thinking on this issue always decoheres, probably because I tend to think primarily in visuals and the tactile world of touch. For a trained mathematician it's easier to think in mathematical terms only, as these concepts all translate into equations almost immediately. In my next life I hope to catch up on math and physics, so for now I'll stumble along and just deconstruct english sentences that don't make sense to me.

When a physicist explains the double slit expirement saying that "a single photon goes through both slits" I already stop taking him/her seriously. Not only because it sounds like nonsense but also because it probably is. I immediately suspect these people try to impress with supposed magic and mystery, the depth of which only they have been able to probe...
The realty is the photon wave passes through both slits. But the Photon remains a wave until it hits the screen.

If you put two slits in water and interfered with single waves passing through one of the slit the interference pattern changes as the water are no longer in sync. They are at different amplitudes. IF you change the speed of a wave going through one slit and not the other there would still be interference after the slit but it would not be a coherent pattern. The difference is that the surface of the water acts as the screen where as with the photon the invisible electro magnetic field is the analogue to the surface of the water.

Electricity fans out from my tesla coil until it gets close to a grounded conductor then the fan collapses into an arch. Which is explainable. The coil arches to the point of highest relative potential / least resistance.

My point is that Waves do not actually collapse until they have to. Which is when they seem to find the point of "highest potential" whatever that means. Also all matter in the universe is composed of waves.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41567-019-0663-9.epdf

Quantum superposition of molecules beyond 25 kDa

(IF you are wondering a the "D" in kDa is for "Dalton" which is a unit equal to the mass of 1/12 of a neutral carbon 12 atom in its ground state and at rest.)

So molecules that are composed of 2,000 atoms have been shown to be waves. IE everything is a wave. Basically as per this experiment the effects of the quantum are inversely proportional to the mass of an object. Very hard to see in bigger objects.

Which is all very quantum weird. At any rate there seems to be missing information.

A more fair use of language would be to add the precursor as-if to statements:

Very large number of single photons sent through both slits equally but randomly and undetected before passing through, results in bands of spots exactly like the interference pattern produced by beams of light passing through both slits like wave fronts. It is as-if these single photons traveled through both slits, like wave fronts do. Now this is considered the complete and total magic of QM. I don't buy it.

Of course, if one holds on to the image of a photon as a bullet particle, the double slit experiment is pure magic. Going through both slits at the same time... impossible! As any magician knows.. the desired effect of mental shock-and-awe arises when the audience is distracted and kept in the dark on the essentials that are actually going on. Magic is always about creating as-if effects as convincingly as possible. Distraction and suggestion govern the field.

Before concluding that that the quantum world is fundamentally different from the classical world as we know it and "full of quantum magic"... one has to be serious about the possibility and power of the as-if effect. Is nature is pulling magic tricks on us? Rabbits out of a magic hats?

In the effort to resolve the double slit experiment, light was given two properties i.e. particle-like and wave-like, depending on the experimental setup. It is also possible however, that both "particle" and "wave" are as-if effects. Sometimes pulling a wave-like rabbit, on other occasions a particle-like dog out of the same magic hat. The magician wants you to believe the hat is magic, which is the only thing that matters. Rabbit and dog are a distraction.

Given that the wave function is a mathematical description of future events, i.e. a probability distribution it always remains to be seen what the wave function can say about the events that actually do occur from moment to moment. Which is why QM was considered incomplete also by Einstein. The infamous "God doesn't play dice". Again the problem might merely be language and our anthropomorphic sense of time. If you remove time from the equations, certain problems disappear.

I like my own poetic version: "the past pushes, the future pulls". Remove time, what remains is push-pull mechanics. The "probability distribution" represented by the wave function is then a real causal force like any other. Force fields represent push-forces, potentials represent pull-forces. Oh wait, things aint that simple of course.

Multi-directional force vectors in multi-dimensional spaces. Maybe 11 dimensions as in M-theory? All ripping through each other violently, with ripples and shivers traveling through the fabric of reality. The universe is a bomb that went off and is still expanding, that much seems certain.

Our anthropomorphic brain knows of 3 dimensions only, with time as a virtual 4th derivative. Perhaps most of what actually happens has to appear like rabbits and dogs out of magic hats to us. Just fathom Father God, Mother Nature or both...to only know how the tricks really work.

A Father God who wants to be worshipped preferably adds enough magic to his creations to seriously impress those trying to understand them. Mother Nature probably just wants to protect us from too much useless knowledge. Love is all you need, the rest a distraction.
In lightning strikes the path of the lightning is path of least resistance. Streamers come up from the ground and the best path wins then Kaboom.
Indeed...
Perhaps the photon wave function actually collapses to the point of highest potential.
Sounds correct to me. At every moment "the most likely" exhibits the strongest pull.
Or the point on the screen that allows it to be exactly the quantum packet it is.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Huygens Optics

Somewhere he proposes that the electromagnetic field is not quantized, only the energy transfer between field and mass.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Typhoon wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:45 pm The "string theorists" have been at it for four decades now and have nothing to show for it.

Many of them, having devoted their entire professional careers to "string theory", are unable come to terms with this reality
and continue to insist, to the detriment of the field, that "string theory" is the only viable approach to a TOE.

Baghdad-Bob.jpg
Yea I know the lords of the strings didn't get to any hardcore beef yet. :)
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:59 am Huygens Optics

Somewhere he proposes that the electromagnetic field is not quantized, only the energy transfer between field and mass.
Me: Does lightning create a plasma channel to react the ground?

From brave Leo AI
Yes, that's correct! During a lightning strike, a plasma channel called a "leader stroke" is formed between the cloud and the ground, through which the electrical discharge can occur. This channel is created by the rapid ionization of the air, turning it into a plasma. The leader stroke is followed by a much hotter and faster "return stroke" that carries the actual lightning current. This process is a complex phenomenon involving a number of physical mechanisms, including the rapid movement of electrons and the generation of intense electric fields.
Me: how is energy distributed before a lightning strike hits the ground?

From brave Leo AI:
Before a lightning strike reaches the ground, the energy is distributed in the form of an intense electric field between the cloud and the ground. This electric field is generated by the separation of positive and negative charges within the thundercloud. The electric field is strongest near the ground, where the distance between the charges is the smallest.

As the electric field becomes stronger, it can ionize the air around it, creating a plasma channel known as a "leader stroke." This channel is initially weak and can be seen as a faint, branching streamer that slowly moves toward the ground. As the leader stroke gets closer to the ground, the electric field becomes even stronger, and the leader stroke can become more conductive, allowing for the rapid flow of electrical current.

When the leader stroke reaches the ground, it triggers a much more intense and rapid return stroke, which carries the actual lightning current. The energy in this return stroke is dissipated as heat, light, and sound, creating the bright flash and loud crack of a lightning strike.
What is zero point energy?

From brave Leo AI:
Zero-point energy, also known as quantum vacuum energy or ground state energy, is the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical system can have. It is the energy of the vacuum, which is the state of minimum energy in a quantum system.

In classical physics, the vacuum is considered to be empty, with no energy or matter present. However, in quantum mechanics, the vacuum is not truly empty. Instead, it is filled with virtual particles and antiparticles that constantly pop in and out of existence. These particles are created and annihilated so quickly that they cannot be directly observed, but they still contribute to the energy of the vacuum.

The energy of the vacuum is known as the zero-point energy because it is the energy that remains even at absolute zero temperature, when all other forms of energy have been removed. The exact value of the zero-point energy is not well-defined, but it is believed to be a very large quantity on a cosmological scale.

There has been some speculation that the zero-point energy could be harnessed as a source of clean, renewable energy. However, this idea is still purely theoretical, and there is currently no practical way to extract useful amounts of energy from the vacuum.

From this I would conclude that quantization of the wave into a point occurs from the wave borrowing from the quantum vacuum energy of the field at the point where it is quantized. That quantization would not exist without zero point energy and likely neither would matter. And that is why the wave collapses into an apparent point particle. It may also explain the instantaneous collapse of two entangled particles no matter how far they are apart.

I just tried out Brave browser's AI Leo for the second time. It at least claims to be more private than other online AIs. My first try with it was about a month ago soon after it was available I am a lot more impressed with it in this second go around. I used an AI as I am not a physicist, just a "lowly" engineer. One that does not particularly like going down rabbit holes with very hard to find answers to my questions. Plus not making the mistake of assuming what I don't actually know for a fact.

Anyway right or wrong, this is my explanation of what is called "the wave/particle duality" actually is. Call it the "On the Nature of Things Interpretation". :P
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdQtBa8_T4Q

China and Russia test ‘hack-proof’ quantum communication link for
Brics countries

Groundbreaking quantum communication test conducted by Russia and China, over 3500 km distance.

Messages by BRICS nations using quantum communication can not be hacked .. NSA and CIA would be flying blind

Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:17 pm .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdQtBa8_T4Q

China and Russia test ‘hack-proof’ quantum communication link for
Brics countries

Groundbreaking quantum communication test conducted by Russia and China, over 3500 km distance.

Messages by BRICS nations using quantum communication can not be hacked .. NSA and CIA would be flying blind

Just more CCP propaganda. Typically for every quantum qubit that gets to a radio receiver a million have to be transmitted. If a million Qubits were transmitted per second that would be the equivalent data rate of 1 bit per second. IE it would take 8 seconds to transmit a single letter of the Alphabet. What more there is already Quantum networks in use in the US. furthermore it is not that such networks are "unhackable" it is just that if they are hacked it would likely be detected. So the sender would know to stop sending sensitive information. However if the datapath was more than some 10's of kilometers with current technology they can be undetectably hacked.

This article is a few years old but it explains the problems pretty well.
https://www.technologyreview.com/2019/0 ... nications/
Explainer: What is quantum communication?
Researchers and companies are creating ultra-secure communication networks that could form the basis of a quantum internet. This is how it works.
By Martin Gilesarchive page
February 14, 2019

MS. TECH
This is the second in a series of explainers on quantum technology. The other two are on quantum computing and post-quantum cryptography.

Barely a week goes by without reports of some new mega-hack that’s exposed huge amounts of sensitive information, from people’s credit card details and health records to companies’ valuable intellectual property. The threat posed by cyberattacks is forcing governments, militaries, and businesses to explore more secure ways of transmitting information.

Today, sensitive data is typically encrypted and then sent across fiber-optic cables and other channels together with the digital “keys” needed to decode the information. The data and the keys are sent as classical bits—a stream of electrical or optical pulses representing 1s and 0s. And that makes them vulnerable. Smart hackers can read and copy bits in transit without leaving a trace.

Quantum communication takes advantage of the laws of quantum physics to protect data. These laws allow particles—typically photons of light for transmitting data along optical cables—to take on a state of superposition, which means they can represent multiple combinations of 1 and 0 simultaneously. The particles are known as quantum bits, or qubits.

The beauty of qubits from a cybersecurity perspective is that if a hacker tries to observe them in transit, their super-fragile quantum state “collapses” to either 1 or 0. This means a hacker can’t tamper with the qubits without leaving behind a telltale sign of the activity.

Some companies have taken advantage of this property to create networks for transmitting highly sensitive data based on a process called quantum key distribution, or QKD. In theory, at least, these networks are ultra-secure.

What is quantum key distribution?
QKD involves sending encrypted data as classical bits over networks, while the keys to decrypt the information are encoded and transmitted in a quantum state using qubits.

Various approaches, or protocols, have been developed for implementing QKD. A widely used one known as BB84 works like this. Imagine two people, Alice and Bob. Alice wants to send data securely to Bob. To do so, she creates an encryption key in the form of qubits whose polarization states represent the individual bit values of the key.

The qubits can be sent to Bob through a fiber-optic cable. By comparing measurements of the state of a fraction of these qubits—a process known as “key sifting”—Alice and Bob can establish that they hold the same key.

As the qubits travel to their destination, the fragile quantum state of some of them will collapse because of decoherence. To account for this, Alice and Bob next run through a process known as “key distillation,” which involves calculating whether the error rate is high enough to suggest that a hacker has tried to intercept the key.

If it is, they ditch the suspect key and keep generating new ones until they are confident that they share a secure key. Alice can then use hers to encrypt data and send it in classical bits to Bob, who uses his key to decode the information.

We’re already starting to see more QKD networks emerge. The longest is in China, which boasts a 2,032-kilometer (1,263-mile) ground link between Beijing and Shanghai. Banks and other financial companies are already using it to transmit data. In the US, a startup called Quantum Xchange has struck a deal giving it access to 500 miles (805 kilometers) of fiber-optic cable running along the East Coast to create a QKD network. The initial leg will link Manhattan with New Jersey, where many banks have large data centers.

Although QKD is relatively secure, it would be even safer if it could count on quantum repeaters.

What is a quantum repeater?
Materials in cables can absorb photons, which means they can typically travel for no more than a few tens of kilometers. In a classical network, repeaters at various points along a cable are used to amplify the signal to compensate for this.

QKD networks have come up with a similar solution, creating “trusted nodes” at various points. The Beijing-to-Shanghai network has 32 of them, for instance. At these waystations, quantum keys are decrypted into bits and then reencrypted in a fresh quantum state for their journey to the next node. But this means trusted nodes can’t really be trusted: a hacker who breached the nodes’ security could copy the bits undetected and thus acquire a key, as could a company or government running the nodes.

Ideally, we need quantum repeaters, or waystations with quantum processors in them that would allow encryption keys to remain in quantum form as they are amplified and sent over long distances. Researchers have demonstrated it’s possible in principle to build such repeaters, but they haven’t yet been able to produce a working prototype.

There’s another issue with QKD. The underlying data is still transmitted as encrypted bits across conventional networks. This means a hacker who breached a network’s defenses could copy the bits undetected, and then use powerful computers to try to crack the key used to encrypt them.

The most powerful encryption algorithms are pretty robust, but the risk is big enough to spur some researchers to work on an alternative approach known as quantum teleportation.

What is quantum teleportation?
This may sound like science fiction, but it’s a real method that involves transmitting data wholly in quantum form. The approach relies on a quantum phenomenon known as entanglement.

Quantum teleportation works by creating pairs of entangled photons and then sending one of each pair to the sender of data and the other to a recipient. When Alice receives her entangled photon, she lets it interact with a “memory qubit” that holds the data she wants to transmit to Bob. This interaction changes the state of her photon, and because it is entangled with Bob’s, the interaction instantaneously changes the state of his photon too.

In effect, this “teleports” the data in Alice’s memory qubit from her photon to Bob’s. The graphic below lays out the process in a little more detail:

Figure showing the 3 steps of quantum entanglement
Researchers in the US, China, and Europe are racing to create teleportation networks capable of distributing entangled photons. But getting them to scale will be a massive scientific and engineering challenge. The many hurdles include finding reliable ways of churning out lots of linked photons on demand, and maintaining their entanglement over very long distances—something that quantum repeaters would make easier.

Still, these challenges haven’t stopped researchers from dreaming of a future quantum internet.

What is a quantum internet?
Just like the traditional internet, this would be a globe-spanning network of networks. The big difference is that the underlying communications networks would be quantum ones.

It isn’t going to replace the internet as we know it today. Cat photos, music videos, and a great deal of non-sensitive business information will still move around in the form of classical bits. But a quantum internet will appeal to organizations that need to keep particularly valuable data secure. It could also be an ideal way to connect information flowing between quantum computers, which are increasingly being made available through the computing cloud.

China is in the vanguard of the push toward a quantum internet. It launched a dedicated quantum communications satellite called Micius a few years ago, and in 2017 the satellite helped stage the world’s first intercontinental, QKD-secured video conference, between Beijing and Vienna. A ground station already links the satellite to the Beijing-to-Shanghai terrestrial network. China plans to launch more quantum satellites, and several cities in the country are laying plans for municipal QKD networks.

Some researchers have warned that even a fully quantum internet may ultimately become vulnerable to new attacks that are themselves quantum based. But faced with the hacking onslaught that plagues today’s internet, businesses, governments, and the military are going to keep exploring the tantalizing prospect of a more secure quantum alternative.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Quantum fantasies.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:34 pm Quantum fantasies.
Perhaps but real world experiment says different

The wave collapses at the point it hits the screen, as the field is not quantized. Quantization happens when the photon hits the screen What I believe happens is the field lends the energy to the quantized Photon as it strikes an atom in the screen. Which would seem to be a good reason that Quantum Mechanics only *appears* to work on very small objects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDtAh9IwG-I

How big is a visible photon?

BTW I discovered the Huygens Optics channel while I was thinking about replying here. The Channel seems to have a lot of interesting videos
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Doc wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:36 am
Parodite wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:34 pm Quantum fantasies.
Perhaps but real world experiment says different

The wave collapses at the point it hits the screen, as the field is not quantized. Quantization happens when the photon hits the screen What I believe happens is the field lends the energy to the quantized Photon as it strikes an atom in the screen. Which would seem to be a good reason that Quantum Mechanics only *appears* to work on very small objects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDtAh9IwG-I

How big is a visible photon?

BTW I discovered the Huygens Optics channel while I was thinking about replying here. The Channel seems to have a lot of interesting videos
I'm a severe skeptic re quantum computing, which is my layman's prediction will not come to any fruition. I would bet all my savings on it. Not because of technical limitations like the extreme instability/vulnerability of the "entangled states of q-bits" but because of the fundamentals being not even wrong; faster than light spooky action at a distance is not proven to exist, most likely a mere fantasy.

Quantum cryptography has to be not even wrong for the same reasons, but I haven't put much time in it. I only know what you also mentioned: when the signal arrives the only novelty is that it can be concluded, allegedly, if somebody listened in on the signal: that would have destroyed the coherence / entanglement. I suspect however that the listening in on a very insulated and vulnerable signal where any form of listening means interacting with the signal and altering it, can be explained with entirely classical i.e. non-spooky properties of EM fields and quantized energy transfers. It all just sells better if you use the word quantum in your sales pitch.

I like the Huygens channel guy: a pure brand experimentalist engineer who also wonders and ponders the quantum world, reviews some of the claims made about it in the more theoretical echelons. Your reading of it where the field is non quantized and how a photon creates a dot sounds very similar to his ideas.

This one I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExhSqq1jysg