Microaggressions, trigger warnings, and emotional reasoning

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Typhoon

Re: Microaggressions, trigger warnings, and emotional reason

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:Condell is now having videos deleted on youtube.
Looks like it.

Cm2BDMmuucw
It would seem that Mr. Condell is not talking out of his arse.

Quillette | Britain's grooming gang crisis
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

https://www.city-journal.org/html/age-o ... 15608.html

" At Heterodox Academy, we’re tracking these trends very closely, and we are putting out ideas and tools that help people stand up for viewpoint diversity and open inquiry. We’ve created a guide to colleges to steer applicants toward the schools that offer more viewpoint diversity. We’ve created an online survey that schools can use to assess the level of orthodoxy and fear on campus, or in any classroom. And most importantly, we’ve created the OpenMind app. It’s a self-guided app that teaches students about the value of viewpoint diversity and then trains them to engage with people who don’t share their values. We have many more initiatives planned for 2018.

I also want to call your attention to someone else who is searching for a solution: Lenore Skenazy has been sounding the alarm about what happens to kids when we raise them like veal, protecting them from everything including emotional harm. Answer: they ask to be protected in college, too. They expect that college will be a giant safe space, and that there will always be a designated adult to resolve their conflicts.......
noddy

Post by noddy »

is not believing in diversity an important bit of diverisity in the diversity ?

i believe in the diversity of stuff i can get my head around, i can even watch the rest of it with morbid curiiosity
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

Law students at CUNY protest against rule of law

kuWEFjnwLiA
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

When I'm in the city I frequently go to the main library. The restrooms there now have signage which informs us that they are "trans friendly". Huh? How about curmudgeon friendly? Then even I could feel welcome. I wonder what someone who is Jewish would think about a sign that said "Jew friendly"?

The University of British Columbia beats that. Every so often I visit and their Learning Centre, which has a pretty good collection of CDs from the nineties. I rode out there with a friend and found that their restroom there has a sign inside which asks "Was this space good for you?" I came rushing out, caught up with my friend and laughed about it. A very prim and proper librarian overheard me and scowled, probably considering whether to phone and report me the campus cops.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Apollonius wrote:When I'm in the city I frequently go to the main library. The restrooms there now have signage which informs us that they are "trans friendly". Huh? How about curmudgeon friendly? Then even I could feel welcome. I wonder what someone who is Jewish would think about a sign that said "Jew friendly"?

The University of British Columbia beats that. Every so often I visit and their Learning Centre, which has a pretty good collection of CDs from the nineties. I rode out there with a friend and found that their restroom there has a sign inside which asks "Was this space good for you?" I came rushing out, caught up with my friend and laughed about it. A very prim and proper librarian overheard me and scowled, probably considering whether to phone and report me the campus cops.
Sounds like you ain't in Kansas anymore. None of us are. You should have looked the Librarian in the eye and said "Stop triggering me!". You could have "Oppressor shamed" (TM) him/her. The icing on the cake is that you could have then demanded a hug (or a participation trophy, for visiting the library), and if it was not forthcoming, you could have called the cops yourself.

The upside is they can't hassle you without violating your safe-space. They willingly tied their own hands. If they demand any standards of behavior or conduct in the library, they are oppressing you.

Equality for all means we're all victims.

I like the idea. Add curmudgeon and sense of humor friendly to the list of species humanity does not tolerate.

Looking for more simplifications, I think that those who are easily triggered, probably were raised with few or no siblings. People with multiple siblings are exposed to more competition of resources earlier in life. Their expectations of what constitutes a safe space are less stringent.

Finding out that Society doesn't think I'm as special as my mommy and daddy told me I am can be a very painful experience. Hearing that hourly, day in and day out, from all your siblings at a young age is like an inoculation against the potential pain of hearing that for the first time after graduating from high school.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Apollonius wrote:When I'm in the city I frequently go to the main library. The restrooms there now have signage which informs us that they are "trans friendly". Huh? How about curmudgeon friendly? Then even I could feel welcome. I wonder what someone who is Jewish would think about a sign that said "Jew friendly"?

TO be honest not much new there. I remember the main library restroom in College. The only difference was the signage was written in magic marker.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

We need a regulation that urinals be installed in all women's restrooms. That would be a fun one.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

The new sex negativity.......

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Been spending too much time on twitter and yes....... 4chan, and the landscape created by trigger warnings, callouts and complaints has some very prominent features. Individuals self identified as gender fluid and gender queer have been requesting modification and censorship of content that has some erotic or sexual content..... or such context that can be drawn from it. Case in point:

https://www.facebook.com/thecarnivoredi ... Ns&fref=nf

#8monthspostpartum #carnivorediet

Point Mikhaila was trying to make is proper diet and reasonable eating habits means having a baby doesn't destroy your body forever, yet people say her undressed body is 'making them uncomfortable', is 'inappropriate' or even an attack on gender nonconforming individuals who don't want to be reminded of it somehow. Claims that she is 'fat shaming' and 'humiliating' gender dysphoric people......, and being 'skinny' is no proof of superior health or virtue. Some artists of webcomics I enjoy are being bombarded for 'wrongful' depictions of women, girls and femininity in general. The goal seems similar to the assault on free speech, the censoring or removal of visual material that offends certain sensibilities. I'll post more linkies as I find them, but the intersectionality between spoken and visual is a think that's finally dawning on me.........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Re: The new sex negativity.......

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Been spending too much time on twitter and yes....... 4chan, and the landscape created by trigger warnings, callouts and complaints has some very prominent features. Individuals self identified as gender fluid and gender queer have been requesting modification and censorship of content that has some erotic or sexual content..... or such context that can be drawn from it. Case in point:

https://www.facebook.com/thecarnivoredi ... Ns&fref=nf

#8monthspostpartum #carnivorediet

Point Mikhaila was trying to make is proper diet and reasonable eating habits means having a baby doesn't destroy your body forever, yet people say her undressed body is 'making them uncomfortable', is 'inappropriate' or even an attack on gender nonconforming individuals who don't want to be reminded of it somehow. Claims that she is 'fat shaming' and 'humiliating' gender dysphoric people......, and being 'skinny' is no proof of superior health or virtue. Some artists of webcomics I enjoy are being bombarded for 'wrongful' depictions of women, girls and femininity in general. The goal seems similar to the assault on free speech, the censoring or removal of visual material that offends certain sensibilities. I'll post more linkies as I find them, but the intersectionality between spoken and visual is a think that's finally dawning on me.........
not only is the comely young lass fat-shaming the bulky, she is infertility-shaming sterile women (and all men), bald-shaming us hairless types, age shaming the elderly, and ugly-shaming the fugly. The stereotypical above average, all-American GND (or BND) image must be destroyed for the common good.

The internet and the resultant ubiquitous communication has been the bane of existence for those who self-trigger while blaming others for their feelings of self-loathing. Damn all you above average humans to Hell! :twisted:

It is time for the mediocre and below masses to rise up and demand reparations! Long live the >50.1%ers! Kill the <49.9%ers!

Decades ago, I remember a commentator, whose name escapes me warning of the upcoming popularity of the victimology movement and what would happen to society when pity became a virtue. We may have finally arrived (at least for a generation or so).

Only losers will be allowed to sit at the virtual cool kids lunch table! Freedom is slavery! Misery is happiness! Filters are comforting!

or in ORZ: "Misery loves company!"
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

This morning I thought of the old saying: "You are what you are, only when no one is looking."

Meaning of course, that is when you do not consider yourself to be on stage.

Probably for many, with today's technology, there is never a time when they do not consider themselves to be "performing for the eyes of others."

"We do not content ourselves with the life we have in ourselves and in our own being; we desire to live an imaginary life in the mind of others, and for this purpose we endeavor to shine. We labor unceasingly to adorn and preserve this imaginary existence and neglect the real. A great proof of the nothingness of our being, not to be satisfied with the one without the other, and to renounce so often the one for the other!"
Blaise Pascal

About 15=20 years ago, my wife noticed a big change in some children. As she put it: "They are like little voids. It's like they have no soul."
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:This morning I thought of the old saying: "You are what you are, only when no one is looking."

Meaning of course, that is when you do not consider yourself to be on stage.

Probably for many, with today's technology, there is never a time when they do not consider themselves to be "performing for the eyes of others."

"We do not content ourselves with the life we have in ourselves and in our own being; we desire to live an imaginary life in the mind of others, and for this purpose we endeavor to shine. We labor unceasingly to adorn and preserve this imaginary existence and neglect the real. A great proof of the nothingness of our being, not to be satisfied with the one without the other, and to renounce so often the one for the other!"
Blaise Pascal

About 15=20 years ago, my wife noticed a big change in some children. As she put it: "They are like little voids. It's like they have no soul."
https://heterodoxacademy.org/victimhood ... -at-emory/
......I just read the most extraordinary paper by two sociologists — Bradley Campbell and Jason Manning — explaining why concerns about microaggressions have erupted on many American college campuses in just the past few years. In brief: We’re beginning a second transition of moral cultures. The first major transition happened in the 18th and 19th centuries when most Western societies moved away from cultures of honor (where people must earn honor and must therefore avenge insults on their own) to cultures of dignity in which people are assumed to have dignity and don’t need to earn it. They foreswear violence, turn to courts or administrative bodies to respond to major transgressions, and for minor transgressions they either ignore them or attempt to resolve them by social means. There’s no more dueling.

Campbell and Manning describe how this culture of dignity is now giving way to a new culture of victimhood in which people are encouraged to respond to even the slightest unintentional offense, as in an honor culture. But they must not obtain redress on their own; they must appeal for help to powerful others or administrative bodies, to whom they must make the case that they have been victimized. It is the very presence of such administrative bodies, within a culture that is highly egalitarian and diverse (i.e., many college campuses) that gives rise to intense efforts to identify oneself as a fragile and aggrieved victim. This is why we have seen the recent explosion of concerns about microaggressions, combined with demands for trigger warnings and safe spaces, that Greg Lukianoff and I wrote about in The Coddling of the American Mind.

I want to make the ideas in the article widely available. It’s a fairly long article, so I provide below an outline of its main sections with extensive quotations from each section. My hope is that you can read the text below and get 80% of the value of the article in just 7 minutes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) INTRODUCTION
Conflict occurs when someone defines another’s behavior as deviant – as immoral or otherwise objectionable…. Conflict and social control are both ubiquitous and diverse, as the issues that spark grievances and ways of handling them vary enormously across social settings. Here we address changing patterns of conflict in modern societies by focusing on a new species of social control that is increasingly common at American colleges and universities: the publicizing of microaggressions. [p.693]… As we dissect this phenomenon, then, we first address how it fits into a larger class of conflict tactics in which the aggrieved seek to attract and mobilize the support of third parties. We note that these tactics sometimes involve building a case for action by documenting, exaggerating, or even falsifying offenses. We address the social logic by which such tactics operate and the social conditions likely to produce them – those that encourage aggrieved individuals to rely on third parties to manage their conflicts, but make obtaining third party support problematic. We then turn to the content of the grievances expressed in microaggression complaints and related forms of social control, which focus on inequality and emphasize the dominance of offenders and the oppression of the aggrieved.

We argue that the social conditions that promote complaints of oppression and victimization overlap with those that promote case-building attempts to attract third parties. When such social conditions are all present in high degrees, the result is a culture of victimhood in which individuals and groups display high sensitivity to slight, have a tendency to handle conflicts through complaints to third parties, and seek to cultivate an image of being victims who deserve assistance. [See DeScioli & Kurzban for more on the urgency of appealing to third parties] We contrast the culture of victimhood with cultures of honor and cultures of dignity.[p.695]
It strikes me that anti-bullying efforts in schools have simply created new bullies.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: The new sex negativity.......

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: but the intersectionality between spoken and visual is a think that's finally dawning on me.........
The root of the divide is between those who believe God can only be approached with speech and those who believe God can be approached by pictures [pictures-->vision-->economy]
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

great article. great timing. I read it within hours of hearing an interview with Dave Rubin who said he remembers the moment when he realized many on the left were more unhinged and dangerous than his former foes on the right.

It was while watching this interview and seeing liberals turn on Bill Mahr and Sam Harris for defending open discussion of ideas.

vln9D81eO60
noddy

Post by noddy »

fundies dont go anywhere, they just change teams depending on the fashions of the moment.

they used to identify as christians and use that framework to beat people over the head with their ivory tower virtue cocks and now it happens to be progressives that attract the bulk of them.

i have no fear that if and when progressive identity stuff ever goes onto the backburner they will jump ship to whatever replaces it quick enough.
ultracrepidarian
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

plRQPAwxP2w

Pungent takeaway: never apologise..... ever......'>.......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:
plRQPAwxP2w

Pungent takeaway: never apologise..... ever......'>.......
thanks for posting LG.

Love it!

Brian: "F**k you!.... I'm the self-righteous Liberal douche bag! Not you!........"

as I once advised a friend, "Never apologize. It just confuses people!"

I've enjoyed Seth McFarlane's show The Orville. especially the episode Majority Rules.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:fundies dont go anywhere, they just change teams depending on the fashions of the moment.

they used to identify as christians and use that framework to beat people over the head with their ivory tower virtue cocks and now it happens to be progressives that attract the bulk of them.

i have no fear that if and when progressive identity stuff ever goes onto the backburner they will jump ship to whatever replaces it quick enough.
Good points. Social Justice (along with it's sister, AGW) is the newest religion, and SJW's are the old in-your-face, holier-than-thou Bible thumpers who are now longer to be found knocking on your front door.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Simple Minded wrote: It was while watching this interview and seeing liberals turn on Bill Mahr and Sam Harris for defending open discussion of ideas.

vln9D81eO60
I looked at it as a big ol Texas sized dumb@$$ foodfight.
Censorship isn't necessary
NapLajoieonSteroids

YA Twitter's Victims & Critics Speak Out, Part 1 (of 3)
The world of young-adult-fiction Twitter, or YA Twitter, is a very intense place, prone to constant callouts and opinion-policing, particularly on matters of identity and social justice. And things seem to have only gotten worse since Kat Rosenfield wrote the definitive article about this subculture for Vulture, “The Toxic Drama on YA Twitter” in 2017.

In just the last month, YA Twitter outrage has caused not one but two authors to choose to unpublish books they had already completed — first Amélie Zhao’s Blood Heir, which was accused of antiblack racism because YA Twitter decided, on the basis of rather questionable evidence, that a racially ambiguous character was black, and didn’t like how she was treated in light of that assumption; and then Kosoko Jackson’s A Place for Wolves, which was accused of being offensive for focusing on American teenagers during the Kosovo war and its attendant human-rights atrocities, and for having a Muslim villain.

It’s unusual, not to mention expensive to publishers, for books to be simply cancelled this far along in their publication processes. I wanted to learn more about what’s going on in the more social-justice-oriented corners of YA publishing at the moment, so I put out a general call on Twitter...
t’s impossible to tell whether members of the YA community are actively circulating and updating an actual list of alleged enemies of people of color, as well as whether that list, as one might infer from Goldblatt’s quote-retweet, is affecting the careers of a large number of writers with regard to their publishing deals (or lack thereof), speaking invitations (ditto), and whatever else. Either such a list exists, or Goldblatt was lying for the sake of bluster and intimidation.

But as Chris’s note indicates, from writers’ perspective, it doesn’t really matter whether the list is real or not — even just the rumor of such a list would likely cause a great deal of stress and affect people’s public behavior. Publishing, YA and otherwise, can be really, really fickle. People pour their hearts into proposals and manuscripts, send them out, and then watch those ideas die quiet, oftentimes drawn-out deaths due to a lack of publisher interest. It’s a grueling and soul-wrenching and generally not well-compensated process, especially in YA, so imagine also having to wonder whether your lack of success is due to having found yourself on a list because someone didn’t like your Twitter tone in a single interaction. It’s crazy to think about. (Suffice it to say that if you know anything about whether such a list exists in the world of YA, you should email me.)

So Chris’s line about how “a bit of me... thinks my name ended up on Barry’s list,” as well as Goldblatt’s tweet, both nicely capture how an idea like this one could be weaponized, particularly against authors without much clout, to prevent them from publicly taking the “wrong” side in YA Twitter’s endless, bloody culture wars.
NapLajoieonSteroids

(taken from the same link as above, I'm posting this in a separate post because of it's length- even after shortening it.
Here’s one of the most striking emails I received, almost in its entirety:

I’ve been watching the YA community self-immolate for quite some time now, and got sideswiped by one of their hate trains back in 2016.
...One of my core desires was to help with the diverse books movement that was starting up at the time. My kids are half-Japanese, and we spend a significant amount of our time in Japan. In addition to living and working in Japan for a while, I speak the language quite well and have studied Japanese history and mythology extensively. (This will matter in a bit, I promise.)

While working on revisions for my second novel with my agent, the fracas about THE CONTINENT erupted. It was, based on everything I could see, a young debut author getting bullied by Justina Ireland, who’d written a very negative review and pinned a tweet to her timeline calling the book a garbage fire while urging people to give the author hell. [From Rosenfield’s article: “Harlequin Teen delayed YA fantasy The Continent after author Justina Ireland lambasted the book for employing white-savior tropes[.]”]

I mentioned to Justina that I understood she was upset, but that this sort of unbridled rage was probably not the best approach to get anyone on your side.

She flipped right out, accusing me of making racist comments because I dared to point out an objective truth — that she was inordinately angry. But because she was black, and possibly because she was already in a fighting mood, pointing out that she was, in fact, angry got her going and she turned her [Twitter] timeline firehose on me.

I had tons of people mentioning and DMing me telling me that they’d make sure my books never got published, or if they did, they looked forward to dragging me through the mud for daring to make such racist comments. An agent also pinged me, Barry Goldblatt, saying that the agents maintain a list of known enemies of POCs [people of color]. That scared the everliving lavender out of me and I abandoned twitter for two years.

Fast forward to 2017.... And I marketed it in my queries as YA...

You can probably see where this went.

A good published-author friend of mine loved the book and passed it on to his agent. I hesitate to give her name because it would immediately out me. She would absolutely remember this experience. I got a phone call from her after he sent her my manuscript, and when I answered I was elated — until she immediately launched into a rant about how there was no way in hell I should be writing YA books featuring Asian POVs as a white man. And she wasn’t interested in anything else I had written.

After that, I gave up. I’m done with writing. At first I considered abandoning just kidlit, but now I think I’m out for good. I’m just too afraid of the insane system that’s been set up, and honestly there’s still a bit of me that thinks my name ended up on Barry’s list and that’s why I had trouble querying anything after parting with my former agent.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

:lol: :lol: thanks Nap, you made my day with those posts.

no better illustration of the generation gap. I think the great philosopher Cher said it best: "Words are like weapons, they wound sometimes." ;)

I think social media and the internet prove the existence of the multi-verse (tm on the multiple meanings) beyond any shadow of a doubt.

too bad the yutes never watched Jaws. then they'd know, "It's never safe to go back in the water."

recently saw The Mule. many parallels between Earl Stone and me when it comes to modern tech.

https://www.moviequotesandmore.com/the- ... st-quotes/

"

Earl Stone: Just what you needed, some asshole sitting here, telling you about what you should do in your personal life.
Agent Colin Bates: No, not at all.
Earl Stone: Anyway, I want to wish you good luck. You’ll need it.
Agent Colin Bates: And thank you for the advice. It’s good to talk to one of you guys once in a while.
Earl Stone: You guys?
Agent Colin Bates: You know.
Earl Stone: What kind of guys?
Agent Colin Bates: Well, you’re just willing to, you know, you’ve lived so long, I think you’ve probably lost your filter.
Earl Stone: Really? I never realized I ever had one.
[Earl gets up to leave]
Earl Stone: Alright. Take it easy.
Agent Colin Bates: You, too.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Its all clear to me now. social media was invented by someone who thinks there are too many people on Earth. and the best way to reduce the population, is to give them the platforms that enable them to get to know each other better. less sex, more violence. seems simple enough.

I think, if, we market this just right, the social media users will voluntarily throw themselves into the resource shredders at the Soylent Green plants for the good of the Earth and all humanity....... :P

noddy, you got a spot on the Board of Directors if you want it. no doubt some software will be needed.....