Microaggressions, trigger warnings, and emotional reasoning

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
noddy

Re: Microaggressions, trigger warnings, and emotional reason

Post by noddy »

well, until something challenges the current progressive ownership of most of our education systems this isnt going anywhere.

the treebeard thing of home schooling is not going change anything.

so far, luckily, the movement from school to the real world and the opinions of family and coworkers is the only real challenge to the school time innoculation, so this makes private job creation and private home ownership the next layer of concern for changing those views.

in my country, the right wing doesnt give a flying f*ck about a generation of kids missing out on those critical paths (job and house) to becoming centre-right instead of commie progressive and this means the right wing has officially given up on being relevant to the next generation.

its all whinging about how relevant they arent, instead of asking why they arent relevant - i dont really know what to think anymore.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

I'm not following the above juxtaposed with how I'm reading the blog (or newsletter or whatever it claims to be)--

and I should also mention that the parts 2&3 are important additions; I should've post&quote'd them too.

----------------------------------------

The publishing industry has long been notorious for this sort of gatekeeping. But now it's on steroids and everyone in charge is a catty woman (cat-lady professional woman).

Maybe the worst of it is in young adult (that is of course a classic dippyhippy move--indoctrinate'em at puberty.) Young Adult, as far as I'm concerned, has always been a weird-o category. One that has exploded in the last thirty years, maybe because it's one of the few places for the jackpot Harry Potter/Twilight money.

It's bad and has always been bad and there is no whining about it (though, that is easy to say from the outside looking in as opposed to being caught up in it.)

------------------------------------

So the question, to me, is really: is it worse than before?

I'd answer yes, because of the ease of electronic gatekeeping coupled with the racial fetishization and reign of terror atmosphere. Starting on part 2, whoever runs the blog starts posting responses from self-identifying people of color [the blogger mentions that, unfortunately, he did double check when he could to cut down on agitprop] who feel even more marginalized by the terror.

One latina woman mentions that she feels pressured to "stay in her lane" by conforming her writing to the standards and prejudices of these upper-middle class white women- and the irony of that is not lost on her.

One gentleman (who is not identified but comes across as middle eastern considering he speaks of being a "person of color" but sometimes grouped in as "white") wants to write sword&sandal stories about the Romans but has been told point blank that his only value is if he writes only within the boundaries of his group (and only if it speaks to his marginalization) as perceived by the gatekeepers.

We are at the point of terror where any suspicious is a condemnation of one's virtue.
NapLajoieonSteroids

There is a motte-and-bailey aspect to it, which is offensive.

In order to have diversity, you must accept racial essentialism, one way or another.
noddy

Post by noddy »

sorry, my grumble was this victim fetish thing, the post-post-pre-post whateverism that has taught an entire generation how to analyze every situation in a way they get to wave their victim cocks at everything.

until that isnt the flavour of the months in the schools and the underemployed that flow from them, then i cant see any changes but escalation in the stuff in those posts.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:sorry, my grumble was this victim fetish thing, the post-post-pre-post whateverism that has taught an entire generation how to analyze every situation in a way they get to wave their victim cocks at everything.

until that isnt the flavour of the months in the schools and the underemployed that flow from them, then i cant see any changes but escalation in the stuff in those posts.
okay, I see it now
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:There is a motte-and-bailey aspect to it, which is offensive.

In order to have diversity, you must accept racial essentialism, one way or another.
their are only 2 models that work - multiracial monoculture (china) or indifferent multiculture (india).

most of this new middle class intuhmallectuals thing is wanting a imaginary situation of everyone supporting everything, verbally and financially.

--
as for their views on identity and racial qualities, I cant say and I doubt they can as well, I just filter that word back into culture and suspect most folks are quite blurry on what the seperations are between race, culture and religion.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

0hx7iBP5D2w

Interesting channel with good, nuanced discussions about the state of current social dialog. I have seen three of these, and was introduced to at least a half dozen useful observations. Weinstein, the social biologist who student SJW's ran out of Evergreen, is central in this interview.

A lot of thinking about exactly when and where progressivism ran off the rails. Thorough, respectful conversations between very different orientations. Some run long but I will probably be watching one a day for while.

My favorite observation was conservatism/progressivism/identity politics as simply a cheap way for parties to buy votes with free pie-in-the-sky promises instead of costly and tangible voter benefits.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:sorry, my grumble was this victim fetish thing, the post-post-pre-post whateverism that has taught an entire generation how to analyze every situation in a way they get to wave their victim cocks at everything.

Amen Bro.

I'm awarding you an honorary PhD. in Cultural Science at Simple Minded Fraternal University (SMFU). We should be able to make a bundle peddling online classes and bandages for butthurt.

Beyond the third trimester in mommy's womb, life starts getting messy. this whole self-conscious, self-awareness gig is a mixed bag.

being woke means being miserable. what can I do to help the person who is less woke than I, and therefore happier than I, to become as woke as me? "we" need to work together to solve this problem. ;)
Last edited by Simple Minded on Sun May 12, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:0hx7iBP5D2w

Interesting channel with good, nuanced discussions about the state of current social dialog. I have seen three of these, and was introduced to at least a half dozen useful observations. Weinstein, the social biologist who student SJW's ran out of Evergreen, is central in this interview.

A lot of thinking about exactly when and where progressivism ran off the rails. Thorough, respectful conversations between very different orientations. Some run long but I will probably be watching one a day for while.

My favorite observation was conservatism/progressivism/identity politics as simply a cheap way for parties to buy votes with free pie-in-the-sky promises instead of costly and tangible voter benefits.
Sounds excellent. I (we?) am (are?) looking forward to watching this.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Maybe the worst of it is in young adult (that is of course a classic dippyhippy move--indoctrinate'em at puberty.) Young Adult, as far as I'm concerned, has always been a weird-o category. One that has exploded in the last thirty years, maybe because it's one of the few places for the jackpot Harry Potter/Twilight money.
its a winner cause it catches teenagers and mental teenagers, which is, as you said, is the jackpot of wasting money on entertainment product - music is mostly aimed at those same folks too.

its also prime for SJW vanity war because that is the very foundation of the genre, "you are the most different and special of them all and nasty regular folks always pick on the beautiful unique things like you"
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

First Things | In the academic sandbox
A skirmish in medieval studies.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Colonel Sun wrote:First Things | In the academic sandbox
white history is obviously racist, its full of white people stuff.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote:First Things | In the academic sandbox
The obvious solution to this is for the medieval scholars to participate in a duel to the death using medieval weapons. Right now, it's just a digital cat fight.

You're experts. Go full Medieval!
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Series
Knitting Mystery
1. Knit One, Kill Two (2005)
2. Needled to Death (2005)
3. A Deadly Yarn (2006)
4. A Killer Stitch (2007)
5. Dyer Consequences (2008)
6. Fleece Navidad (2008)
7. Dropped Dead Stitch (2009)
8. Skein of the Crime (2010)
9. Unraveled (2011)
10. Cast On, Kill Off (2012)
11. Close Knit Killer (2013)
12. Yarn Over Murder (2014)
13. Purl Up and Die (2015)
14. Knit to Be Tied (2016)
15. Only Skein Deep (2017)
16. Dyeing Up Loose Ends (2018)
Double Knit Murders (omnibus) (2010)
Halloween Scare (2014)
Who are You people? (2014)
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/s/maggie-sefton/
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Spec | Diversity’s valued — unless it’s diversity of opinion
There were no ‘terf’ cyberwomen righteously zapping transgendered daleks who are mincing about shrieking ‘Exfoliate, exfoliate’.
As someone who used to watch Dr. Who on PBS in the Midwest, this is the funniest line I've read this month.
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/ ... dult-books

the guardians woke take on the woke madness.
Jackson is black and gay, and a professional sensitivity reader, which means he reads books before publication and offers advice on how they handle matters of identity. Yet on 22 February, he too was accused of insensitivity, for allegedly minimising the suffering of Albanian Muslims. “I’ve never been so disgusted in my life,” said the first review to make this point, on the reading community website Goodreads.com. On 25 February, comments below the review began to discuss sending an open letter to Jackson’s publisher. On 28 February, he posted a note apologising to “those who I hurt with my words” and withdrew the book.
its funny how the woke types hate the sticks n stones rules most of us grew up with, It never occured to me that i should take the words coming out of random strangers mouths personally.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/ ... dult-books

the guardians woke take on the woke madness.
Jackson is black and gay, and a professional sensitivity reader, which means he reads books before publication and offers advice on how they handle matters of identity. Yet on 22 February, he too was accused of insensitivity, for allegedly minimising the suffering of Albanian Muslims. “I’ve never been so disgusted in my life,” said the first review to make this point, on the reading community website Goodreads.com. On 25 February, comments below the review began to discuss sending an open letter to Jackson’s publisher. On 28 February, he posted a note apologising to “those who I hurt with my words” and withdrew the book.
its funny how the woke types hate the sticks n stones rules most of us grew up with, It never occured to me that i should take the words coming out of random strangers mouths personally.
sounds like you and I were raised on very similar planets.

this stuff is just too funny for words. cause words hurt and that would not be funny.
"Words are like weapons; they wound sometimes!" - Cher

that's the problem with "diversity," no one can agree on the proper definition.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

The problem is caused by the blurring of the distinction between reality and virtual reality. We need a virtual wall to create safe spaces.

State supplied VR headsets would allow everyone to self-isolate, therefore eliminating human conflict by making human contact impossible. Attempting to contact the outsiders, would result in automatic contact with an AI yes-man, god-bot, which would analyze your communications and feed back to you just a bunch of same same, feel good minutia, so you would "know" all is well and the world is unfolding according to your version of how it should be.

The VR headset would include a "Running Man" exploding neck collar. Attempting to remove the headset would detonate the collar.

Programmers, we are counting on all y'all. The old gods have failed us. It's your turn to lead us to the promised land! :)
NapLajoieonSteroids

fJe_ey2iTUQ
Doc

Post by Doc »

The first ever documentary based on a TV interview

zQCTeGKHsVc
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:The first ever documentary based on a TV interview

zQCTeGKHsVc
outstanding documentary. thanks for posting doc. no wonder the horde of the woke want to destroy JBP.

great explantation of why when some people encounter someone they disagree with, they always default to "you're racist/misogynist/____ophobe!"

"I hate men cause I'm a women possessed by my inner animus!"
"I hate women cause I'm a man ruled by my inner anima!"
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Bxk10_GIFvA
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Re: Microaggressions, trigger warnings, and emotional reasoning

Post by Typhoon »

Tablet | In Praise of Cancel Culture
There is, however, a second, much smaller group—the ones who first send out the smears that then go on to scare the daylights out of everyone else. They are the fast and the furious who take to Twitter with absolute conviction and no nuance, who care little for who or what or why, whose real purpose and pleasure here is in scanning the crowd each morning for who might make a good stoning target today and who might be the one it would be most fun for everyone to collectively hate.

These people are absolutely right to shun me. In fact, I hope they do it more—because the grim-faced commissars of cancel culture are bringing about a renaissance, one that no one ever saw coming.
One hopes.