Olympics

And they're off . . .
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Olympics

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:48 pm So, has anyone been watching the Tokyo Olympics?
Nope. Enjoying the Olympics requires a positive outlook on the world.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:50 pm
Typhoon wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:48 pm So, has anyone been watching the Tokyo Olympics?
:) hah.

I havent been watching the Tokyo olympics but thats true of all olympics.

it was mostly compulsory when i was a kid - we only had 3 free to air channels and they would all be repeating our wins in swimming all the time, Its not something i feel the need to seek out now.

Ive been reading their is a massive drop in viewership worldwide - 40% less or something.

I wonder if the constant drug cheating has taken the shine off it a bit - its all a matter of not being caught now, the whole thing seems cooked.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:50 pm
Rather the opposite for me. Despite all the underlying issues and controversies, probably a form of escapism.

Still enjoy seeing top-level athletes perform. Typically in sport that I would not otherwise watch.

So far watched judo, rowing, along with some gymnastics, swimming, diving, track and field, and climbing.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

noddy wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:21 am

Ive been reading their is a massive drop in viewership worldwide - 40% less or something.

I wonder if the constant drug cheating has taken the shine off it a bit - its all a matter of not being caught now, the whole thing seems cooked.
As good of a reason as any.

=============

I can't remember the last time I sought out the Olympics, but this year I've not even kept up with the goings on.

I saw some of Judo which was exciting, kept an eye on the headlines for basketball, and watched some highlights from baseball.

--------------

Someone was telling me that NBC has moved stuff to their 5 dollar olympic app causing confusion (and a paywall obviously) on what to watch where. That could be another contributing factor to why the Olympics have drawn less attention.

Here in the US, 16.8 million is the average viewership, down from the previous 29 million from Rio de Janeiro, which was the lowest summer olympics since 2004.

This after the last winter olympics which had the worse ratings in three decades.

It's a trend.

NBC, for its part, is blaming the pandemic and the time difference between Tokyo and the US mainland.
noddy

Post by noddy »

I did used to also enjoy learning about those other sports, that arent swimming, when the tv showed them.

.. and now I think about it.. that is the reason I think the olympics is fading out of public perception - beyond the drugs, or the rich peoples playground aspects.

the tv was the only media, and that was the most interesting thing on at the time.

now, i have every media that ever was or ever will be, and have to actively seek out olympics footage, choose some, then watch it.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:16 am I did used to also enjoy learning about those other sports, that arent swimming, when the tv showed them.

.. and now I think about it.. that is the reason I think the olympics is fading out of public perception - beyond the drugs, or the rich peoples playground aspects.

the tv was the only media, and that was the most interesting thing on at the time.

now, i have every media that ever was or ever will be, and have to actively seek out olympics footage, choose some, then watch it.
hah, I wrote this post out yesterday before scrapping it.

For 99.9% of us the media=the sports presented

it's not only there are more options, the whole thing has gotten gross with lousy tv personalities smeared all over it.

They also tapped out on dopamine manipulation with all the human interest stories as far as I'm concerned. (And while I'm not the audience for that, it seems to play out in the numbers it's not working across the board)
NapLajoieonSteroids

US baseball lost the gold medal game to Team Japan.

I believe it's the first gold for the Japanese baseball team, though it goes without mention Japanese baseball is generally #1 in international play.

The 2024 Paris games will not have baseball, but maybe 2028 LA will.
Doc

Post by Doc »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:03 am
noddy wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:16 am I did used to also enjoy learning about those other sports, that arent swimming, when the tv showed them.

hah, I wrote this post out yesterday before scrapping it.

For 99.9% of us the media=the sports presented

it's not only there are more options, the whole thing has gotten gross with lousy tv personalities smeared all over it.

They also tapped out on dopamine manipulation with all the human interest stories as far as I'm concerned. (And while I'm not the audience for that, it seems to play out in the numbers it's not working across the board)
When I was a child I absolutely loved the Olympics. Then I grew up and gave up spectator sports.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros