Computing | Software and Hardware

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Simple Minded

Re: Computing | Software and Hardware

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:wait till you see the CoC she is waving around.

https://postmeritocracy.org/
We do not believe that our value as human beings is intrinsically tied to our value as knowledge workers. Our professions do not define us; we are more than the work we do.

We believe that interpersonal skills are at least as important as technical skills.
I think that me as a person, are a greater whole than the total, entire sum of my thinking skills!

Why people don't value me more than my interpersonal skills allow me to communicate or illustrate is beyond me.

what is wrong with them?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

read it. What is taking the Linux dudes so long to take down the internet?

future generations will view them as the gods who finally got off their asses and saved humanity.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Linus might well end up walking away from linux - Guido has just walked away from python (a huge open source programming environment)

Their is a certain point when projects get bigger than the creators that all the different agendas become a source of pain, not pleasure.

linux is the backbone of android, chromeos and a huge percentage of all the internet servers and devices, the big boys like Google, CISCO and Intel are the real custodians so its probably a done deal anyway.

grumpy old men out, corporate lapdogs in.

Eric raymond and kill switch threats are comical, he is a relic from much simpler times.
Last edited by noddy on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:

We do not believe that our value as human beings is intrinsically tied to our value as knowledge workers. Our professions do not define us; we are more than the work we do.

We believe that interpersonal skills are at least as important as technical skills.
I think that me as a person, are a greater whole than the total, entire sum of my thinking skills!

Why people don't value me more than my interpersonal skills allow me to communicate or illustrate is beyond me.

what is wrong with them?
i identify as a brain surgeon and i feel you rejecting me from operating on you is a personal attack on my well being and emotional health.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

My impression of the MSM tech media coverage, other than ignoring the controversy, is
"Nothing to see here, folks, move along."
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Colonel Sun wrote:Mmmm, Pi-hole
ive been running a pi hole for a few months now, its a great bit of network tamer.

not only does it nuke most ads/tracking scripts on all the devices in my house, it also lets me easily control which DNS servers are used by those devices, so i can bypass any tedious policy the government forced onto my ISP.

network is snappier too, by having a local dns cache.
ultracrepidarian
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

sb8rWCvnNbk

wanker........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

Colonel Sun wrote:

My impression of the MSM tech media coverage, other than ignoring the controversy, is
"Nothing to see here, folks, move along."
nobody actually likes *real* geeks, they only like cute young people "who dig star wars" etc.

the completely dysfunctional, borderline autistic middle aged man (*) who lurks in his basement doing radio, or custom electronics or hacking on operating systems (**) triggers visceral disgust in the well adjusted types.

its just turned out that THOSE MEN CONTROL ALL THE THINGS and thats an unpleasant thought to all those sensible ones... yet they cant do the long hours of antisocial, focused, knowledge building time either.

still i do think this is a specific political play, the linux kernel has become way too important to leave in the hands of the above mentioned folks.

(*) cough, me included.
(**) from the outside it appears japan has a much more robust, almost healthy support for those people .. being a serious dedicated perfectionist with zero interest in humanity is not seen the same way there.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy

Post by noddy »

if it was successful it would have exactly the same pressures as the previous one, mega corporations and national governments arent going anywhere.

the only way to truly do a new internet is global civil disobedience using private networks - an adhoc internet based purely on personal equipment.

their are few groups in australia that have tried this but so far its only worked across a few streets and suburbs.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:if it was successful it would have exactly the same pressures as the previous one, mega corporations and national governments arent going anywhere.

the only way to truly do a new internet is global civil disobedience using private networks - an adhoc internet based purely on personal equipment.

their are few groups in australia that have tried this but so far its only worked across a few streets and suburbs.
In religious circles, these people would be the heretics..... motivated by their lesser gods?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:if it was successful it would have exactly the same pressures as the previous one, mega corporations and national governments arent going anywhere.

I'm left wondering if most people are simply far less concerned with their privacy and centralization of the internet than Berners-Lee and associates,

preferring convenience and familiarity.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Colonel Sun wrote:

I'm left wondering if most people are simply far less concerned with their privacy and centralization of the internet than Berners-Lee and associates,

absolutely.

most folks dont care about much at all, anyone living week to week is only concerned with setting up the next week.

depsite all the protests about how rich the "west" is, most of the folks in it are pretty much wage slaves with not that many options.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:
ive been running a pi hole for a few months now, its a great bit of network tamer.

not only does it nuke most ads/tracking scripts on all the devices in my house, it also lets me easily control which DNS servers are used by those devices, so i can bypass any tedious policy the government forced onto my ISP.

network is snappier too, by having a local dns cache.
After reading about Pi-hole, bought a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ kit and got Pi-hole running on it.

Uninstalled Adblock on the browsers.

Very pleased. For all the reasons you noted above.
noddy

Post by noddy »

I managed to accidently ruin my windows box, so the house is entirely linux now for lack of replacement budget.

so far, Im only missing Lightroom.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote:

For most people the learning curve to obtain any semblance of privacy online is well beyond what they are capable of understanding. In contrast "Free" sounds pretty good.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Post by noddy »

Colonel Sun wrote:SQLite CoC
a-grade trolling :)

for those that might not know, Sqlite is an open sourced project done by a closed group of volunteer coders who dont care much for corporate problems.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Register | Dildon'ts of Bluetooth
You've heard of wardriving – say hello to screwdriving.
Security researchers have figured out how to locate and exploit smart adult toys.
noddy

Post by noddy »

their are some benefits to taking advantage of yourself the old fashioned flesher ways.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote:The Register | Dildon'ts of Bluetooth
You've heard of wardriving – say hello to screwdriving.
Security researchers have figured out how to locate and exploit smart adult toys.
gives a new meaning to the term "Online Dating."

Once the Russians find out about this, they'll be hacking our erections, instead of our elections.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/aws-reve ... x86-516138

Amazon cloud is being moved away from Intel chips to custom ARM designs.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »