Postmodernism and Critical Theory. Or why the Empress has no clothes.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Simple Minded

Re: Postmodernism. Or why the Empress has no clothes.

Post by Simple Minded »

IIRC, Eleanor Roosevelt is generally credited with the ORZ bromide of "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Why doesn't society stop me from feeling inferior? Cause no one cares. Freedom sucks! :(

No. I'm not bitter. Life is! ;)

Everyone who reads this post and does not reply with some version of "Wow! SM that is the most brilliant post I have ever read!" is oppressing me. Pretty sure, that's how it works. ;)
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nother data point:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/03/ ... t-company/

“She was always complaining that YouTube ruined her life,” Some of the comments are very insightful.

I think the lesson here is "Don't pay people to post stuff on the internet." Good advice for Typhoon and YMix.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
This is the rub of it...in a sense....

It's an assault on majority rule. Checking privilege is an evasive shorthand for those who wish to rid ourselves of majority consensus and be ruled- politically, morally, aesthetically, whathaveyou- by a true believing/all knowing/all righteous minority claiming all legitimacy and authenticity (the watchword that always comes up with this sort of pose) to themselves.

it's anti-liberal, it's anti-democratic and it's anti-Enlightenment.

Is it any wonder this has brought about a consensus from disparate groups that shouldn't really have anything in common like for example ethno-supremcists, by-any-means communists and upper middle class feminists?

Why, after the revolution, they'll be in charge, as nature intended.
I think what you are trying to says is that, they're like rugged individualists who demand conformity in the behavior of others. AmIright? ;)
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Simple Minded wrote:
This is the rub of it...in a sense....

It's an assault on majority rule. Checking privilege is an evasive shorthand for those who wish to rid ourselves of majority consensus and be ruled- politically, morally, aesthetically, whathaveyou- by a true believing/all knowing/all righteous minority claiming all legitimacy and authenticity (the watchword that always comes up with this sort of pose) to themselves.

it's anti-liberal, it's anti-democratic and it's anti-Enlightenment.

Is it any wonder this has brought about a consensus from disparate groups that shouldn't really have anything in common like for example ethno-supremcists, by-any-means communists and upper middle class feminists?

Why, after the revolution, they'll be in charge, as nature intended.
I think what you are trying to says is that, they're like rugged individualists who demand conformity in the behavior of others. AmIright? ;)
The opposite. Many are people adrift, either by happenstance or their own doing, who are looking for a king, in this life, to tell them what to do. A few believe themselves worthy of a crown, if only others would recognize it.

Then there are those who hate themselves so much, they must break away from all continuity from those around them, so to reassure themselves that their lives have no meaning beyond their own physical existence.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

The opposite. Many are people adrift, either by happenstance or their own doing, who are looking for a king, in this life, to tell them what to do. A few believe themselves worthy of a crown, if only others would recognize it.

Then there are those who hate themselves so much, they must break away from all continuity from those around them, so to reassure themselves that their lives have no meaning beyond their own physical existence.
If I am reading you right, the former are the idealists formerly characterized by the line "throw me in chains but feed me." Or is it more about acceptance". ie: throw me in chains but click 'like me.'

Regarding the later, it has never been easier to isolate oneself. You can get all your staples delivered to your front door, pay online, etc. I would expect the hermit wannabes to never be heard from again in today's world.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:the flipside of all this however is some rather blunt realities of the modern world - 1 billion (or so) workers is plenty to produce all the stuff you can imagine (tm) and atleast 50% of modern western economies is "made up jobs" created and/or funded by government.

billions upon billions of folks are clammering for these jobs and in places like china or india they are getting the education threshold to attain them - maybe not so much so in the ghettos of south america or africa.

basically any place which meet a bare minimum standard of social organization [And I wouldn't count much of Africa for the coming centuries out yet] can satisfy a level of mass production that technology is making easier and easier to reach.
their is a huge motherfucking explosion of bitterness, desperation, jealousy, whateveryawanttocallit thats coming down the pipe no matter what.

While it is certainly foreseeable, this is one of those instances where it'll have to play itself out and there isn't a lot of time to worry about future factions and how crazy they all get.

Though the bitter, desperate, jealous factions [the have not'ers] may have nothing on those guys and gals with all the toys. Their contempt and self-satisfaction can turn into "human-hunting season" types of desensitization awfully quickly. As they have the toys and skills, and access to all production, it's going to be hard for the have not'ers to even get a chance to turn their negative feelings into anything actionable.

How do you fight a war (forget about winning) where you have absolutely zero production base? Even the warlords in Afghanistan have caves and goats and *sometimes* valuable minerals and dope.
even if you think the pure libertarian market will find a way in the long run, the short run isnt going to be pretty.
Not it's not. And as I'm not much of a pure libertarian guy, the long run is questionable too.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote:

If I am reading you right, the former are the idealists formerly characterized by the line "throw me in chains but feed me." Or is it more about acceptance". ie: throw me in chains but click 'like me.'
Why can't it be both?
Regarding the later, it has never been easier to isolate oneself. You can get all your staples delivered to your front door, pay online, etc. I would expect the hermit wannabes to never be heard from again in today's world.
Ah! Misery loves company though. As for hermits: Hermit-living dudes and dudettes are a different breed all together.

The funny thing about he modern hermit or hermitess is that they aren't isolated at all. Saint Antony the Great wasn't living in the desert with a Netflix account and paying his American Express bills over a 4G network.

But they will certainly be in some sort of twilight existence where they are an abstraction in computer bits. No one is seeking them out or stumbling upon them while wandering. Notionally they exist but with no *willing* human contact, they sort of don't either. Like the koan: if a hermit stubs his toe in the woods, does anyone hear his expletives? ;)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

It is one thing to have Critical Theory, Marxism sporting a new shade of lipstick, to dominate the Humanities.

However, it entirely another for CT to corrupt Law, a foundation of civilization.

Quillette | The Radical Assault on Truth in the Law
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

It appears to me an act of bad judgement to counter these post-modernist power gamers, radical left activists and hijackers of law with enlightened reasoning. If people beg for a powah game, just give it to 'm!

During un-enlightened times and autocrats ruling, reasonable reason never kicked them out. If somebody disrupts free speech banging windows, yelling, screaming or take it away altogether by law... an eye for an eye might be much more effective.

It's kinda irky to see how decent conservatives and decent classical liberals just stay polite and reasonable all the time. The ethic of not lowering yourself to the level of your deranged enemy is bad advice. These people are not like kids who will look up to you as if you are their parent that they will eventually want to emulate.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Ah! Misery loves company though. As for hermits: Hermit-living dudes and dudettes are a different breed all together.

The funny thing about he modern hermit or hermitess is that they aren't isolated at all. Saint Antony the Great wasn't living in the desert with a Netflix account and paying his American Express bills over a 4G network.

But they will certainly be in some sort of twilight existence where they are an abstraction in computer bits. No one is seeking them out or stumbling upon them while wandering. Notionally they exist but with no *willing* human contact, they sort of don't either. Like the koan: if a hermit stubs his toe in the woods, does anyone hear his expletives? ;)
:) my point exactly. it has never been easier to drop out of the rat race and only deal with others thru automation/technology. Isolated from humans and humanity, but not the benefits of modern society.

what was the name of the recent movie where the dude fell in love with an ap?

do you know if the driverless cars come with an automatic "flip this MFer the bird function?" or will that still have to be performed manually or womanually?

Do hermits exist? Kinda like Bigfoot, if they put enough effort into avoiding you, you will never know for sure.
noddy

Post by noddy »

hermitage is only practical in the areas that are blue - the green areas have do hermits but they are typically the types who can live out of a dirty bucket, a very small demographic.
Last edited by noddy on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Parodite wrote:It appears to me an act of bad judgement to counter these post-modernist power gamers, radical left activists and hijackers of law with enlightened reasoning. If people beg for a powah game, just give it to 'm!

During un-enlightened times and autocrats ruling, reasonable reason never kicked them out. If somebody disrupts free speech banging windows, yelling, screaming or take it away altogether by law... an eye for an eye might be much more effective.

It's kinda irky to see how decent conservatives and decent classical liberals just stay polite and reasonable all the time. The ethic of not lowering yourself to the level of your deranged enemy is bad advice. These people are not like kids who will look up to you as if you are their parent that they will eventually want to emulate.
classical liberals dont exist anymore - they are a minority of a minority on the right side of politics and are all middle aged white men so carry no weight in the broader conversation,.

conservatives gave up on fighting for the education system and let the progressives do a total takeover so the population will continue to be taught that left is good and right is bad as per the last few decades.

sure, reality will slap many of the kids as they grow into government mandated lives but thats an undercurrent of rebellion, not a dominant faction.
Last edited by noddy on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

noddy wrote:the flipside of all this however is some rather blunt realities of the modern world - 1 billion (or so) workers is plenty to produce all the stuff you can imagine (tm) and atleast 50% of modern western economies is "made up jobs" created and/or funded by government.

billions upon billions of folks are clammering for these jobs and in places like china or india they are getting the education threshold to attain them - maybe not so much so in the ghettos of south america or africa.

basically any place which meet a bare minimum standard of social organization [And I wouldn't count much of Africa for the coming centuries out yet] can satisfy a level of mass production that technology is making easier and easier to reach.
their is a huge motherfucking explosion of bitterness, desperation, jealousy, whateveryawanttocallit thats coming down the pipe no matter what.

While it is certainly foreseeable, this is one of those instances where it'll have to play itself out and there isn't a lot of time to worry about future factions and how crazy they all get.

Though the bitter, desperate, jealous factions [the have not'ers] may have nothing on those guys and gals with all the toys. Their contempt and self-satisfaction can turn into "human-hunting season" types of desensitization awfully quickly. As they have the toys and skills, and access to all production, it's going to be hard for the have not'ers to even get a chance to turn their negative feelings into anything actionable.

How do you fight a war (forget about winning) where you have absolutely zero production base? Even the warlords in Afghanistan have caves and goats and *sometimes* valuable minerals and dope.

judge dredd is the only outcome possible :)
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:

judge dredd is the only outcome possible :)
I will take comfort in knowing that Sly Stallone will still have a job long after I retreat to my hovel.
noddy wrote:Image

hermitage is only practical in the areas that are blue - the green areas have do hermits but they are typically the types who can live out of a dirty bucket, a very small demographic.
The Ray Davies type of hermits in those green areas:

N_MqfF0WBsU
NapLajoieonSteroids

Parodite wrote:It appears to me an act of bad judgement to counter these post-modernist power gamers, radical left activists and hijackers of law with enlightened reasoning. If people beg for a powah game, just give it to 'm!

The "they'll grow out of it" non-action may have been the dumbest of dumb parenting strategies [emphasizing in the general!] ever devised and adopted, like some sort of mass hallucination.

The people in charge gave up. That's all it was- they didn't really believe in it and they told their kids they were SOTL.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Typhoon wrote:It is one thing to have Critical Theory, Marxism sporting a new shade of lipstick, to dominate the Humanities.

However, it entirely another for CT to corrupt Law, a foundation of civilization.

Quillette | The Radical Assault on Truth in the Law
It's self-sealing.

The ideas presented may be internally coherent but they are beyond the reach of refutation, at least when subjected to the typical, and informal, ways in which we discuss and determine what we know.

It's like some funhouse mirror version of the church religious orders.

Where instead of the five major orders being Dominican, Franciscan, Augustinian, Carmelite and Benedictine; we now have sacred orders of sexuality, gender, race, income and ethnicity/(some) creeds.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

I will take comfort in knowing that Sly Stallone will still have a job long after I retreat to my hovel.

Karl Urban - you heathen.
ultracrepidarian
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

The riddle of free speech where decent people want everybody to enjoy it, accept the risk of being offended and offending others, versus those who want to silence others and change law away from free speech.

The post-modernist fashion show, safe spaces, trigger warnings, white male privilege, compelled speech, class warfare. I don't think the neo-marx lefties will get very far though.

The bigger dangers are mass surveillance and censorship by governments and large corporations, the erosion of democracy in general and the many countries and cultures in the world that privilege their religious institutions into safe spaces where wrong-speech is a crime; free speech for the religious me but not for the otherly you. Notably Islam scores very bad here.

Ranking countries by their blasphemy laws

Part of free speech is that you can call other people and/or their ideas inferior and horse lavender. For reason a/b/c/ or no reason at all. You can offend intentionally because it is fun or to provoke, or offend accidentally without meaning to offend. And accept that you might also be at the receiving end. That is the core game of the free west and the bedrock of a functioning democracy.

A religious zealot who believes that non-/otherly believers are inferior evil-doas who cannot escape punishment of the Great Guy in the Sky is as much entitled to that belief as a non-believer who believes those zealots are morons and victims of a superstitious delusional cult. All beliefs, criticisms are allowed to be expressed in the public space. But this already is eroding away because decent people don't believe in an eye for an eye anymore. They don't want to fight for free speech when their own govts and law fail to protect them. In the UK this is happening as we speak.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

The "they'll grow out of it" non-action may have been the dumbest of dumb parenting strategies [emphasizing in the general!] ever devised and adopted, like some sort of mass hallucination.
Probably true for many parents.

For others, it was the desire or necessity to pursue two incomes, that resulted in a yuge percentage of parents to sub-contract out parental duties to "others."

In the olden days, Dad schuffed off most of the duties of child rearing to Mom, so he could focus on work. When Mom also went to work, she did the same to sub-contractors.

Letting the "others" format the hard rives of your churren during their formative years, might not result in the future adult that one expects, assuming of course, the parents had expectations.
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:The people in charge gave up. That's all it was- they didn't really believe in it and they told their kids they were SOTL.
By "people in charge," if you mean "parents," I often but not always agree. Fascinating to see the whole parenting gambit from homeschooling to "hand-off" (M&M) parents.

SOTL?
noddy

Post by noddy »

Sucking Off Transvestite Ladies ?
STraight Outta Luck ?
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

:lol:

Mea culpa- I added an extra 't' : Straight Outta Luck it was intended to be.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote: By "people in charge," if you mean "parents," I often but not always agree. Fascinating to see the whole parenting gambit from homeschooling to "hand-off" (M&M) parents.
No, I wasn't merely pointing the finger that way. Between technological changes, world war and economic catastrophe; a lot of screwed up people were in positions they were either not prepared for nor, perhaps, suited for.

The caveat of course with all 'grass is greener' alternatives is that it is meaningless. You got the grass you got, amirite?

As for the parents:

it's very much a tread lightly situation. I'mma not here to throw anyone under the bus.

Point remains, a strategy of indifference and detachment with the expectation of some other outcome is stoopid.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote::lol:

Mea culpa- I added an extra 't' : Straight Outta Luck it was intended to be.
Hipsters..... :roll: they FUBAR everything! :P Even Google didn't know WTH you were talking about!

FYI, it's Shite Outta Luck! I was straining to interpret it as Shite Outta The Luck.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Thanks for posting.

In my next life, my posting moniker is gonna be Woke Mob: Thought Criminal.

The inevitable result of unlimited information and education is that, eventually, we'll all be geniuses and Nobel laureates.

My Thesis: Social Justice, Micro-Aggressions, and Self-Identification all all Social Constructs; If Society doesn't agree with my Idealizations, Screw em if they can't take a joke!

time to start plagiarizing my references.....