The Healthcare Debate

Simple Minded

Re: The Healthcare Debate

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:02 am
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:02 am Might be related to this attitude in regards to anything social services and personal responsibility:

rather ironically, cats are the perfect example - they sponge off humans if its available and quickly revert to wild type when its not.

self suffiicient, pragmatic survivors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_cat

heh.
Well put. I volunteered at an Animal Shelter for years.... nothing more amusing than to see a kind hearted soul, who introduces themselves by stating "all animals like me!" attempt to pet a cat that has gone feral. Ignore an animal's body language at your own peril.

Also, like humans, if cats aren't domesticated early in life, they rarely acquire socially acceptable behavior. Yet we continue to blame human society, rather than parents for most of the unacceptable social practices of individual.
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

Simple Minded wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:46 pm
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:02 am Might be related to this attitude in regards to anything social services and personal responsibility:

rather ironically, cats are the perfect example - they sponge off humans if its available and quickly revert to wild type when its not.

heh.
Well put. I volunteered at an Animal Shelter for years.... nothing more amusing than to see a kind hearted soul, who introduces themselves by stating "all animals like me!" attempt to pet a cat that has gone feral. Ignore an animal's body language at your own peril.

Also, like humans, if cats aren't domesticated early in life, they rarely acquire socially acceptable behavior. Yet we continue to blame human society, rather than parents for most of the unacceptable social practices of individual.
There's a bit less hesitation to euthanize a feral cat that can't adapt to domestic life, though.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

crashtech66 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:40 pm
There's a bit less hesitation to euthanize a feral cat that can't adapt to domestic life, though.
Probably because humans generally consider cats to be more attractive, mysterious, and interesting than other humans. Especially the fat ones.....

or perhaps, a tribal memory remnant from when we used to worship cats as gods.

that could be the acid test for whether another human is truly a humanitarian. Next time you are visiting at their house, pee on the living room carpet and see if they get upset or ask you to leave. If so, they're bad people.
noddy

Post by noddy »

crashtech66 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:40 pm
Simple Minded wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:46 pm

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/8279052544/hC ... bertarians

heh.

the argument is that because libertarian orientated folks use government services, they are hypocrites.

reality is messier than that - if ive been forced to pay for the service, Ill use it, doesnt mean I wont stop paying for it if I get the choice.

Im not full blown libertarian, just more so than my average countryman, I grew up in places that didnt have 90% of the modern world in it, Its not a horror story to me.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Colonel Sun wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:08 pm JAMA | Life Expectancy and Mortality Rates in the United States, 1959-2017
Abstract
Importance US life expectancy has not kept pace with that of other wealthy countries and is now decreasing.

Objective
To examine vital statistics and review the history of changes in US life expectancy and increasing mortality rates; and to identify potential contributing factors, drawing insights from current literature and an analysis of state-level trends.

Evidence
Life expectancy data for 1959-2016 and cause-specific mortality rates for 1999-2017 were obtained from the US Mortality Database and CDC WONDER, respectively. The analysis focused on midlife deaths (ages 25-64 years), stratified by sex, race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and geography (including the 50 states). Published research from January 1990 through August 2019 that examined relevant mortality trends and potential contributory factors was examined.

Findings
Between 1959 and 2016, US life expectancy increased from 69.9 years to 78.9 years but declined for 3 consecutive years after 2014. The recent decrease in US life expectancy culminated a period of increasing cause-specific mortality among adults aged 25 to 64 years that began in the 1990s, ultimately producing an increase in all-cause mortality that began in 2010. During 2010-2017, midlife all-cause mortality rates increased from 328.5 deaths/100 000 to 348.2 deaths/100 000. By 2014, midlife mortality was increasing across all racial groups, caused by drug overdoses, alcohol abuse, suicides, and a diverse list of organ system diseases. The largest relative increases in midlife mortality rates occurred in New England (New Hampshire, 23.3%; Maine, 20.7%; Vermont, 19.9%) and the Ohio Valley (West Virginia, 23.0%; Ohio, 21.6%; Indiana, 14.8%; Kentucky, 14.7%). The increase in midlife mortality during 2010-2017 was associated with an estimated 33 307 excess US deaths, 32.8% of which occurred in 4 Ohio Valley states.

Conclusions and Relevance
US life expectancy increased for most of the past 60 years, but the rate of increase slowed over time and life expectancy decreased after 2014. A major contributor has been an increase in mortality from specific causes (eg, drug overdoses, suicides, organ system diseases) among young and middle-aged adults of all racial groups, with an onset as early as the 1990s and with the largest relative increases occurring in the Ohio Valley and New England. The implications for public health and the economy are substantial, making it vital to understand the underlying causes.
The causes are the food supply, we have the worst food supply on planet earth.
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I will nitpick this, libertarians just want associations with others to be based on choice and not force, particularly government force.

The fact that libertarians may be more likely to be introverts reflects that introverts are more sensitive than others to be forced into associations.
Censorship isn't necessary
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I have been saying this for years. I was once being pressured to get a colonoscopy by a doctor's accountant. SInce I know someone that had one and it almost killed them because his intestine was punctured by the probe I opted for a cat scan. The radiologist told be the the results would be ready the next day. The day after the accountant who for some reason called me up to ask about my insurance for the procedure wanted to schedule me for the procedure right then. I asked how the results from the cat scan turned out. She said they had not received them yet. That they would not be back for a week. I told her I would wait for the results. I never got a call back on the procedure.

That office had 7 or 8 administrative people working there other than the doctors and nurses. I would guess the rent for the office ran into 4 or 5 thousand dollars a month. So medicine is really about having a large cash flow. If more money is needed just convince more people they may die if they don't get the procedures
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:14 pm
I have been saying this for years. I was once being pressured to get a colonoscopy by a doctor's accountant. SInce I know someone that had one and it almost killed them because his intestine was punctured by the probe I opted for a cat scan. The radiologist told be the the results would be ready the next day. The day after the accountant who for some reason called me up to ask about my insurance for the procedure wanted to schedule me for the procedure right then. I asked how the results from the cat scan turned out. She said they had not received them yet. That they would not be back for a week. I told her I would wait for the results. I never got a call back on the procedure.

That office had 7 or 8 administrative people working there other than the doctors and nurses. I would guess the rent for the office ran into 4 or 5 thousand dollars a month. So medicine is really about having a large cash flow. If more money is needed just convince more people they may die if they don't get the procedures
One situation where this applies in Japan is CT [a.k.a. CAT] scanners. Last time I looked Japan had 4 time the OECD average number of scanners per capita. So to recover the investment:

Sprain → CT scan; head ache → CT scan; stomach ache → CT scan; ingrown toenail → CT scan; etc.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:50 pm
Doc wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:14 pm

One situation where this applies in Japan is CT [a.k.a. CAT] scanners. Last time I looked Japan had 4 time the OECD average number of scanners per capita. So to recover the investment:

Sprain → CT scan; head ache → CT scan; stomach ache → CT scan; ingrown toenail → CT scan; etc.
Wood splinter in foot -- xray. Many years ago my young cousin had one in her foot. We couldn't get it out. So I took her to the local hospital (we were at the beach) They x-rayed her foot for the wooden splinter and the x-ray tech came out and said she could not believe the splinter showed up on the x-ray. The doctor glared at her. Apparently the wood splinter had a bit of lead paint on it.

Also Medicare pays doctors each time they use their machines in order for them to pay off the purchase price, irregardless of whether or not the machine was paid off long ago.

Medicare ends up paying multiple times for each machine.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros