The Cannibals at the Gate | The rise of Finance, MBAs, and Private Equity

Now, what news on the Rialto?
Simple Minded

Re: The Cannibals at the Gate | The rise of Finance, MBAs, and Private Equity

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:55 pm

not me, my titties get bigger every year and I dont even need implants.
My point exactly.

When I was your age, cause we ate so much dirt, and walked thru 3 feet of snow six miles, up hill, both ways, just to go to the outhouse, no one had any titties! And we were grateful!

Back to the modern era, your titties are getting bigger, must mean that someone else's titties are getting smaller.

The world is more unfair now than ever. Stop being part of the problem and start being part of the solution. Imagine how much happier Greta Thunberg would be if she had your titties!

Have you ever thought about tittie tithing?
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Billionaire Warns Investors of 'Biggest Risk' for 2020: Bernie Sanders
Billionaire bond investor Jeffrey Gundlach, the CEO of $149 billion DoubleLine Capital, is warning investors that the biggest risk markets will face in 2020 is the possibility that Bernie Sanders "will become a plausible candidate" for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination.
https://pjmedia.com/election/billionair ... e-sanders/
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

A pioneer in financial engineering.
B81017E3-45D1-4A6A-8AAF-CE3DCBFD257A.jpeg
B81017E3-45D1-4A6A-8AAF-CE3DCBFD257A.jpeg (164.76 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

I went to the bank today to get some cash. The Bank Teller did something on her computer and the money came out of a machine. I told her "That is a really nice printer you have there"

So why do Corporate CEO get to have these machines?

And given that Hunter Biden participated in the sale of the world's largest cobalt mine is the financial system working as it is a "Happy accident" for Corporate hacks and Democrats? Or is it intentional IN both cases it would tend to make Corporate hacks more beholden to the Democrat party. In the latter even more so.

Of course the machine in th ebank is not a printer of money. Despite the possible appearances it is just dispensing the banks cash reserves. corporate hacks are by appearance printing money. While they are in fact stealing reserves from their shareholders and society at large. Democrat and politicians in general are going along with this as long as they get "their cut" in the action.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

No, you were right the first time. The banks print currency.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:54 pm No, you were right the first time. The banks print currency.
The Fed does and then Banks are all more than happy to receive their free money.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

ProPublica | When Private Equity Becomes Your Landlord
Amid a national housing crisis, giant private equity firms have been buying up apartment buildings en masse to squeeze them for profit, with the help of government-backed Freddie Mac. Meanwhile, tenants say they’re the ones paying the price.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

What happens when a central bank currency goes digital?. China may be the first nation to do so and in this essay, Francisco Sisci provides a back story......

China could be the first major nation to launch a central bank-backed digital currency. Image: iStock
In this, digital money implies a monopoly of power by one or more governments, or a total surrender of power to cryptocurrencies. But monopolies or total surrenders of power are historically flawed, as another Chinese book notes. One could perhaps say that financial solutions to political issues do not work, but neither does the reverse. Politics cannot replace finance; it creates just as much turmoil as the opposite, finance trying to replace politics.
https://asiatimes.com/2022/02/the-currency-of-empires/
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Digital currency.

Govts with such currency will be able to keep track of every aspect of our lives.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Rising Rates Threaten Companies Acquired in LBO Boom [paywalled]
Floating-rate debt protects lenders from Fed rate increases but can lift expenses for borrowers amid rising inflation
Low-rated U.S. companies borrowed record amounts in the loan market last year, taking advantage of low interest rates and generous credit. Now all that debt is starting to get more expensive.

So-called leveraged loans typically have borrowing costs that float, and the Federal Reserve’s suddenly faster pace of interest-rate hikes is set to drive them up. Investors are paid more as rates rise, which made the loans attractive. Borrowers were also keen, because rates were low and the Fed had set out a gradual path to raise them. But inflation knocked that off course.

Just last year, many on Wall Street expected a gradual increase in interest rates, but those expectations were upended by persistent inflation. That helped spark the worst bond rout in decades early in 2022, sending the yield on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note, a bellwether for borrowing costs, to its highest levels since 2018.

Companies with heavier debt loads can find themselves running short on cash if their interest rates climb alongside wages and other operating expenses.

“It is one of the biggest concerns that we have and we have been tracking it in our portfolios since the end of last year,” said Somnath Mukherjee, head of investments at Lakemore Partners.

Higher costs on the loans could also have a chilling effect on the buyout boom that hit a record of about $1 trillion last year and that investment bankers hoped would carry over into 2022. The private-equity firms behind most of those deals paid for them primarily with leveraged loans borrowed by the companies they acquired.

Lakemore invests primarily in collateralized loan obligations, or CLOs, investment vehicles that bought many of the recently issued leveraged loans. The firm is looking closely at businesses including food producers, retailers and chemical manufacturers that have limited ability to pass cost increases on to customers, Mr. Mukherjee said.

LIBOR.png
LIBOR.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 1821 times

U.S. companies borrowed $1.8 trillion in junk-rated loans in 2021, according to Dealogic, setting a record. Citigroup Inc. and Bank of America Corp. published reports in recent weeks warning about the latent risk in such leveraged loans. Meanwhile, portfolio managers who invest in them are analyzing which companies are most susceptible.

One that could feel the squeeze from rising rates is Revlon Inc. , according to a CLO manager. The cosmetics company’s annual interest expense is already $260 million, and it reported liquidity of $206 million in December, according to S&P Global Ratings.

Revlon has long faced challenges in managing its complex debt load, which now stands at $3.5 billion. It suffered from revenue erosion during the pandemic as masked-up Americans stayed home and eschewed makeup. In 2020, the company completed a debt exchange that enabled it to avoid bankruptcy. A Revlon spokesman declined to comment.

Companies that are already struggling with the aftermath of the pandemic are also susceptible, the CLO manager said. Encore Global, a closely held technical-equipment provider to conferences formerly known as PSAV, has an unsustainable debt load, according to credit-ratings firm Moody’s Investors Service. The company issued about $2.2 billion of loans in a late 2020 refinancing, according to Leveraged Commentary and Data.

Encore issued about $560 million of new loans in 2020, according to a company spokesman who declined to comment on the impact of rising interest rates. “We have the opportunity to adjust our service prices in response to the current inflationary environment,” he said.

The Federal Reserve’s main tool for managing the economy is to change the federal-funds rate, which can affect not only borrowing costs for consumers but also shape broader decisions by companies like how many people to hire. WSJ explains how the Fed manipulates this one rate to guide the entire economy. Illustration: Jacob Reynolds
The benchmark rates that most leveraged loans are priced off are expected to rise to around 3% in the next 12 months, up from about 0.50% now, according to Citigroup research. That equates to a $45 billion interest-expense increase on the loans that were issued in 2021 alone, according to Dealogic data.

The rise would represent a much faster increase than the loan market has experienced in modern times, said Michael Anderson, a credit strategist at Citigroup. Companies are more exposed than during the previous LBO boom in 2007 because most loan investors no longer require them to purchase derivatives to hedge against rising rates, he said. Mr. Anderson still recommends investors hold some leveraged loans as an alternative to bonds less sensitive to interest rates.

Signs of stress from surging benchmark rates will likely appear first in companies that are already struggling to cover their interest expenses. Cash flow for most borrowers is about 3½ times their interest expense, according to research by Bank of America, but about 15% of the market generates about 1½ times their interest cost.

Alexander Gladstone contributed to this article.
"Rising Rates Threaten Companies Acquired in LBO Boom", but not the private equity groups that did the acquiring via LBOs.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Typhoon wrote:
"Rising Rates Threaten Companies Acquired in LBO Boom", but not the private equity groups that did the acquiring via LBOs.

Private equity who do the LBO they take their profit "upfront" .. The risk is born by the "acquired company" which is loaded to the eyeball with financing. Many go broke under the loan when %-rates go up, workers losing their jobs.

This standard and understood, pretty much "modus operandi"
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:08 pm
Typhoon wrote:

Private equity who do the LBO they take their profit "upfront" .. The risk is born by the "acquired company" which is loaded to the eyeball with financing. Many go broke under the loan when %-rates go up, workers losing their jobs.

Quite.

Straight outta "Goodfellas".

The opposite of Schumpeter's "creative destruction":
Creative destruction refers to the incessant product and process innovation mechanism by which new production units replace outdated ones. It was coined by Joseph Schumpeter (1942), who considered it 'the essential fact about capitalism'.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:43 pm
Heracleum Persicum wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:08 pm
Typhoon wrote:

Quite.

The opposite of Schumpeter's "creative destruction":
Creative destruction refers to the incessant product and process innovation mechanism by which new production units replace outdated ones. It was coined by Joseph Schumpeter (1942), who considered it 'the essential fact about capitalism'.

A famous case is "Simmons Bedding Company"

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/busi ... mmons.html

For most of the 133 years since its founding in a small city in Wisconsin, the Simmons Bedding Company enjoyed an illustrious history.

Presidents have slumbered on its mattresses aboard Air Force One. Dignitaries have slept on them in the Lincoln Bedroom. Its advertisements have featured Henry Ford and H. G. Wells. Eleanor Roosevelt extolled the virtues of the Simmons Beautyrest mattress, and the brand was immortalized on Broadway in Cole Porter’s song “Anything Goes.”

Simmons says it will soon file for bankruptcy protection, as part of an agreement by its current owners to sell the company — the seventh time it has been sold in a little more than two decades — all after being owned for short periods by a parade of different investment groups, known as private equity firms..

The company’s downfall has also devastated employees like Noble Rogers, who worked for 22 years at Simmons, most of that time at a factory outside Atlanta. He is one of 1,000 employees — more than one-quarter of the work force — laid off last year.

They flipped the company 7 times within 20 yrs, each time loading it with more financing and taking out millions .. until the company could not service the debt anymore and filed C11

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-simm ... X420091116

All this normal played every day on WS

Look

In America, entrepreneurs, good people, build companies with top product and cliantels .. later, either go IPO or sell the company to a Wall Street fund .. that fund load more and more financing leveraging the company, in the process taking out cash .. when crisis comes and %-rate shoot up, the company has no reserve, defaults, files C11

Basically, after the "founder" cashes in, the company just a vehicle for Wall Street to play the usual game

Nobody cares about the employee or the company.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Revlon bankruptcy.

Another successful and once viable company raped and pillaged by private equity.
On November 5, 1985, at a price of $58 per share, totaling $2.7 billion, Revlon was sold to Pantry Pride (later renamed to Revlon Group, Inc.), a subsidiary of Ronald Perelman's MacAndrews & Forbes. The buyout—engineered with the help of junk bond king Michael P. Milken—saddled Revlon with a huge $2.9 billion debt load, which became an albatross around the company's neck for years to come
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

FT | Mergers destroy value. Without reform, nothing will change
The M&A playbook of warped incentives, rent extraction, and creative accounting is overdue a rewrite
Geoff Meeks and J Gay Meeks JULY 20 2022

It’s an often-quoted statistic that roughly 70 per cent of mergers fail. McKinsey’s 2010 report, from which that estimate is taken, echoes the consistent conclusion of four decades of academic research: most mergers fail to deliver any improvement in operating profit.

Yet despite the weight of evidence, vast and ever-increasing sums are spent on mergers and acquisitions — around $5tn globally in 2021 — and on some measures the number of deals has seen a forty-fold increase in forty years.

Should we expect merger rates to continue rising, accompanied by very high failure rates? Absent changes in the present framework, undoubtedly. The M&A market’s many talented, hard-working, highly skilled, law-abiding, income-maximising participants will continue to promote destructive mergers. It would be surprising if they did not.

There are three interwoven strands in this argument. First, contracts (explicit and implicit) often reward key players in the M&A market — executives and advisers — for deals that result in zero or negative operating gains.

Second, legal and taxation arrangements often enable acquirer executives, as well as shareholders in these cases, to extract economic rent from other stakeholders in deals that yield no operating gains.

Third, accounting rules and practice often offer rich opportunities for acquirers to mislead the market about the prospective operating gains from merger, and to flatter performance measures following merger.

Contracts and incentives
“Show me the incentive and I will show you the outcome”, said Berkshire Hathaway vice-chair Charlie Munger. Incentives for bidder CEOs were the subject of a 2007 analysis by Jarrad Harford and Kai Li, which concluded that “even in mergers where bidding shareholders are worse off, bidding CEOs are better off three-quarters of the time.” One factor in this is the strong link between CEO salary and firm size. Acquisition of another company is one of the easiest ways to grow.

For example, the $27bn purchase of Refinitiv by London Stock Exchange Group in 2021 immediately tripled the acquirer’s revenue. LSE boss David Schwimmer was “rewarded with a 25 per cent increase in base salary . . . to reflect the LSE’s increased size following the Refinitiv purchase”. Yet in the same month, LSE shares fell 25 per cent on concerns about its ability to extract synergies from the acquisition.

In an attempt to align the interests of executives with shareholders, the last three decades have of course seen increasing use of bonuses linked to measures of performance such as earnings per share. But there are particularly rich opportunities afforded by mergers to game performance-related pay, through morally hazardous borrowing and by tax avoidance and creative accounting, procedures that deliver improved pay and perks for no genuine improvement in the underlying operating performance that matters most for the wider economy.

Rewards to the CEO for increasing firm size are sometimes defended on the general grounds that a bigger organisation is harder to manage. But growing by the particular means of acquiring rivals can often bring the CEO a quieter life. In The Curse of Bigness, author Tim Wu describes how Facebook swallowed up Instagram and WhatsApp when their innovative products presented a challenge.

But don’t the non-executive directors constrain self-serving deals by executives? That’s not how it worked at General Electric, which in the two-decade tenure of Jack Welch was buying businesses at a rate of one a week. A recent book by Thomas Gryta and Tedd Mann gives a flavour of life in the GE boardroom:

One newcomer to the board under Welch was surprised by the CEO’s command of the board room and the sparse debate among the group. Confused by how the meeting transpired, the new director asked a more senior colleague afterward, “What is the role of a GE board member?”

“Applause,” the older director answered.

What about the investment bankers, lawyers, accountants and consultants hired by the acquirer? In practice it is not reasonable to expect professional advisers to caution against a deal they doubt will enhance operating profits, when the executives who hire them (and may hire them again) express no such doubts and are backing it to the hilt. After all, the advisers’ impressive fees are related to closing the deal, not to post-merger operating gains — fees of around $1.5bn in the case of AB InBev’s merger with SABMiller, one which was followed by unimpressive financial performance.

Rentier capitalism
In some cases, mergers that lead to operating losses can still advantage the acquirer’s shareholders. Here, it is other stakeholders who bear the cost, thanks to legal, taxation and central banking arrangements favouring shareholders and executives at the expense of many others: the taxpaying public, creditors, pensioners . . . 

Debt-financed acquisitions can magnify the equity-holders’ earnings even where operating profits fall. Of course, more debt means a higher risk of failure. But due to limited liability provisions much of the downside risk associated with slender equity cushions is borne by others — moral hazard in action.

An illustration is provided by Carillion, the former UK construction company. It had been built via a string of acquisitions and relied heavily on debt finance. When it failed, it owed around £2bn to 30,000 suppliers, who would receive little from the liquidators, and some of whom were themselves bankrupted as a result. Fellow casualties included members of Carillion’s systematically underfunded pension fund.

This incentive to make acquisitions unwarranted by operating gains is reinforced by the tax system. In most jurisdictions, corporation taxes are not levied on the portion of profits paid as interest to lenders. This privileged treatment makes it even easier to transform poor operating profits into enhanced surpluses for investors via a debt-financed merger. And the benefit can be particularly valuable in cross-border transactions.

Former tax inspector Richard Brooks writes in The Great Tax Robbery that “a cross-border takeover is to Britain’s tax lawyers and accountants what a well-fed wildebeest with a limp is to a pride of lions.” His examples include Spire Healthcare, acquirer of Bupa hospitals, “wiping out its taxable profits by paying interest offshore at 10 per cent.”

The incentives for unprofitable mergers offered by morally hazardous borrowing and tax subsidies have been yet further reinforced in recent years by the central banks’ manipulation of the debt market, forcing down interest rates. Cheap debt has been described by McKinsey partner Bryce Klempner as the “lifeblood of private equity”. And private equity has of course in recent years been a major force in the M&A market with its business model of buying firms, loading them with debt, and selling them a few years later. The model benefits then not only from imposing downside risk on other stakeholders, but also both from the generous tax treatment of debt finance, and from interest rates being held down by central banks.

To complete the package of benefits, the heads of these private equity firms have in the US and UK enjoyed privileged rates of tax on their personal profits from M&A, known as “carry”. In the words of an FT leader: “The result has been to foster a generation of buyout billionaires who have paid lower tax rates than their cleaners.”

Accounting tricks
Acquiring firms enjoy rich (but perfectly legal) opportunities to deploy creative accounting around mergers — flattering and smoothing reported and forecast profit, securing funding on unduly favourable terms, and masking subsequent declines in underlying performance.

A famous illustration is provided by GE’s spending spree — some 1700 acquisitions between 1980 and 2017 — followed by its decline and dismemberment. Critics have recounted creative accounting devices GE employed such as tweaking the expected future costs of multi-period contracts, fudging the value of inventory, writing down the ‘fair value’ of acquired assets and channel stuffing (bringing forward sales).

Reform?
Governments, regulators and non-executive directors could install a series of measures to eliminate or mitigate these problems in the M&A market. It isn’t as if all this is inevitable — there is much that could be done to make this dysfunctional market much more efficient than it currently is. But under the present framework, there is every reason to suppose the disappointing outcomes of the M&A market will continue unabated.

Once the clues are followed on incentives, rent extraction and creative accounting opportunities, frequent pursuit of unproductive merger turns out not to be mysterious. And key participants in mergers are unlikely to seek to alter the status quo themselves. On the contrary, as Neil Collins writes:

Think of the impact of a “transformational” deal, the thrill of the chase, the media spotlight, the boasting rights, and — of course — the massive pay rises. You will be number one! By the time it all ends in tears, the executives who have laid waste to the shareholders are long departed with their winnings . . . 

The authors’ book, The Merger Mystery, is free to download.

Geoff Meeks is Emeritus Professor of Financial Accounting at University of Cambridge Judge Business School. J Gay Meeks is a Senior Research Associate at the University of Cambridge Centre of Development Studies
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Closing Down the Billionaire Factory
The private equity industry has been running America for four decades. This is how the 'billionaire factory' emerged, and why the public has had enough.
Matt Stoller

Welcome to BIG, a newsletter on the politics of monopoly power. If you’re already signed up, great! If you’d like to sign up and receive issues over email, you can do so here.

Today’s issue is written by an anonymous guest-author. It’s about the emergence of the financial model currently ruling America, which is known as private equity, and why there’s finally a regulator at the Securities and Exchange Commission willing to crack down on the industry

Where Are the Customers’ Yachts?
In a memoir with the cringeworthy title What It Takes: Lessons in the Pursuit of Excellence, Stephen Schwarzman, the co-founder of Blackstone explains how his private equity giant came to control money from the nation’s largest public pension funds. In 1992, Blackstone hired a former top official from the Oregon state pension fund with a salary far in excess of what he had previously earned and used him to open doors nationwide. “When the pension managers saw him, they saw one of their own, from the smallest fund to the biggest of all,” Schwarzman writes.

Today, Schwarzman has a net worth around $33 billion. And it’s not because private equity, or what Wall Street used to call leveraged buyouts (LBO), is particularly good at buying and growing companies. It’s because private equity can extract lots of hidden fees from pension funds. Large private equity firms have market power over the funds they raise from and can set terms that make it very hard to figure out what they are being charged. Schwartzman’s net worth is the result.

Over the last five years, the public has noticed private equity. If you mentioned that word to a doctor a few years ago, some would say they had heard the term. Today, it’s likely that fire comes out of their ears; even the stodgy American Medical Association warns of the perils of private equity. People are angry that rents are skyrocketing, as private investors from large investment shops buy up housing en masse. More broadly, the public is noticing that while their pensions seem to be empty, the people who manage them – like Schwarzman – throw multimillion-dollar parties with acrobats, camels and pretend Mongolian soldiers.

(Indeed, the wealth of private equity barons, when contrasted with the poverty of their clients, brings to mind an old finance joke about a visitor to Wall Street admiring the various yachts owned by bankers, and then naively asking ‘Where are the customers’ yachts?’ The joke is that the bankers make the money, not the customers.)

One result of anger from voters is that there’s increasing interest by politicians in addressing how out of control private equity has become, from eliminating tax concessions like the ‘carried interest loophole’ that let financiers get taxed at a lower rate, to legislation like the Stop Wall Street Looting Act that would force them to assume liability for the debt they put on companies and protect worker pensions in bankruptcy. But ground zero in the attack on corrupt forms of private equity, is now an agency that has been sleepy and corrupt for decades, until a serious regulator named Gary Gensler took it over last year: the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The fight Gensler picked is a multi-trillion-dollar battle, the kind of dispute that reshapes societies. So, let’s start at the beginning. First, what is private equity?

Unlike a mutual fund, in which a manager collects money from investors and buys publicly traded stocks and bonds, private equity is private because it raises its money behind closed doors, instead of selling shares or floating bonds that can be traded on exchanges. (An LBO of an exchange-listed company is referred to as “going private.”) Investors put the money into funds administered by private equity firms, which then buy companies, under the pretense that they are fixing them up (not impossible, but not demonstrably the norm either), then selling them. The stated goal is to deliver returns to their investors. Private equity firms take fees and expenses, plus a percentage of the profits when companies are sold. That’s really all it is, a kind of finance that channels retirement savings into the purchase of real assets, the way a bank uses money in savings accounts to lend to companies.

So how did this significant industry come to be? In the 1970s, Americans saved for retirement in different ways. They had some personal savings, they used Social Security, but mostly had pensions through their corporate or government employer. Pension fund administration used to be straightforward. Pension managers took a pool of employee money and invested it in fixed-income products (mostly bonds, both government and corporate) or held in cash, with maturities calculated to meet the fund’s obligations as people retired. It wasn’t sexy, or particularly complicated. But it helped ensure a comfortable retirement for tens of millions of people. The country’s deregulatory turn in the 1980s changed all that.

Tighter budgets meant that states, which came under intense fiscal pressure in the 1982 recession even as Washington dialed back revenue-sharing, were less able to make contributions to pension funds on behalf of their employees. The declining power of unions played a role as well; they were less able (or willing) to force states to keep up contributions to pension funds. So, states began giving their pension fund managers more leeway to invest in publicly traded equities (stocks), a trend that the bull market of the 1980s only hastened. The Dow Jones looked like an easy ticket to greater pension fund assets.

Meanwhile, private equity – known as leveraged buyouts (LBOs) before a very conscious rebranding – was taking shape as a new form of financial engineering, in part because of legal changes in the 1970s and 1980s to deregulate finance. One episode in particular caught the attention of Wall Street. William Simon, a former Treasury secretary, bought Gibson Greeting Cards by putting up (with a partner and a few others) $1 million and borrowing the rest of the $80 million purchase price, then selling into a rising market 18 months later for $270 million. Suddenly, Simon was worth $100 million. (Schwarzman was one of the bankers on the sale; he described it as “the perfect case study” of what he wanted to do later at Blackstone.)

In the 1980s, the LBO industry really took off thanks to the emerging junk bond empire created by Michael Milken. Private equity firms raised money from banks, insurance companies, and wealthy individuals, and put up a small share of a target company’s purchase price; the rest was debt, with which the company, not the private equity firm, was saddled. The real force behind the rise of high finance was a set of regulatory changes, occurring either through wholesale shifts in laws – like the 1982 deregulation of savings and loan banks that let S&L’s buy Milken’s junk debt – or the refusal of Reagan-era enforcers to enforce securities rules.

The peak of the 1980s frenzy came when Kohlberg Kravis & Roberts (KKR) purchased RJR Nabisco in 1988 for $25 billion, and put up only 0.06 percent (!) of its own money. By then, LBOs were about 30 percent of the overall market for mergers and acquisitions. The recession of the early 1990s, the bankruptcy of Drexel Burnham Lambert, and Milken’s conviction for illegal securities trading, took the steam out of the LBO market. But KKR had already taken the step that would draw public pension funds into Wall Street’s orbit.

By the mid-1980s, KKR was raising money from state pension funds, a step facilitated by a friendship between George Roberts, a KKR founder, and Roger Meier, the chairman of the Oregon Investment Council, which manages state pension funds. Roberts had persuaded Meier, a local business magnate and sophisticated financier, to give KKR stewardship of state pension money early on after KKR was founded in 1976. KKR also funneled campaign contributions to Oregon’s treasurer, who in 1984 vanquished a challenger who opposed putting state pension money into LBO funds like KKR, and to gubernatorial candidates, since the governor appoints investment council members.

As KKR harvested profits from LBOs in the 1980s, and seemed to deliver solid returns, other states – and private equity firms – sought a piece of the action. The staff of the Oregon Investment Council became sought-after door-openers; one of them, Jim George, was the one hired by Schwarzman in 1992 to open doors in all 50 states for his firm, seven-year-old Blackstone.

The 1990s saw a slow rise in private equity funds designed for LBOs, even though the overall activity remained less than in the 1980s since junk-bond financing had vanished, as the industry won over pension funds. Importantly, while there had been limits on how private pools of capital could fundraise and use debt, these limits were removed by the National Securities Markets Improvement Act in 1996. Schwarzman credits Oregon’s George with raising a $1.27 billion fund in the mid-1990s, at the time the largest ever. While the SEC took a stab at increasing basic oversight of private funds – a category that sweeps in hedge funds along with private equity and a few other lesser types – in the wake of the collapse of Long-Term Capital Management in 1998, it was beaten back in court by hedge fund manager Philip Goldstein.

In early 2000s private equity raised ever-greater piles of money from public pension funds. Congress encouraged this financing channel when it passed overwhelmingly (93-5 in the Senate) the Pension Protection Act in 2005. That law loosened restrictions on pension funds, which are regulated by the Department of Labor under the Employee Retirement Security Act, that sought to allocate money to private equity. In 2000, 3.6 percent of pension fund money went to private equity funds; by 2021 the number was 11 percent. If that seems small, consider that the nation’s 6,000 public pension funds and retirement systems currently hold $4.5 trillion in assets, which means private equity has $495 billion of the people’s money to play with. And that’s before they borrow any money – the “leveraged” in LBO – at all.

Along the way, key Democrats-turned-lobbyists facilitated the rise of private equity in the 2000s, lending a center-left credibility to the industry. Private equity’s management of pension fund money gave rise to the talking point – its lobbyists can barely utter anything else publicly – that they are doing well by doing good, making money for retirees current and present, and created useful links with organized labor. Having union friends paid off for private equity, since some public pension fund trustees are also union members, and because unions sometimes run their own pension funds, giving Wall Street more money to play with.

Richard Gephardt, the onetime House Democratic leader who had been an ally of unions, used that credibility extensively to make private equity seem reasonable. In 2007, Gephardt helped KKR overcome union opposition to its takeover of Texas Utilities Corporation, and also helped a private equity firm hive off part of Boeing that manufactured aerostructures.

David Marchick, a Clinton administration appointee, worked at The Carlyle Group, a Washington-based private equity giant, and set about persuading unions that their pension savings would do well in the hands of leveraged buyout firms. Working under CEO Glenn Youngkin, now governor of Virginia, Marchick pursued that angle to the point where Leo Gerard, president of the United Steelworkers of America, praised Marchick in 2019 for “strengthen[ing] the ties between investors and labor.”

The dramatic growth in the early 2000s reflected a peculiar dynamic in which pension funds relied on data about the eye-popping returns private equity at precisely the time when they were bound to fall. KKR, for example, returned 35 percent to Oregon’s pension funds. That’s alluring if you’re a pension manager trying to ensure your liabilities – the cost of supporting future retirees – are fully funded. But a basic law of economics also made itself felt, for as pension funds pumped more money into private equity, overall returns were bound to fall, since there are a finite number of target companies. Finance is an industry of copycats; one Wall Streeter like Simon gets rich doing LBOs, others take notice and try to do the same thing.

Competition for Capital
The post-2000 explosion in pension fund allocations to private equity meant Wall Street no longer needed to persuade pension managers to allocate funds. Instead, managers desperately needed higher returns, thanks to low interest rates, fiscal pressure, and lagging contributions that have left many pension funds wary of their ability to support future retirees. Wall Street had begged pension funds for cash 20 years earlier; now pension funds begged for the chance to kick money into the latest hot fund.

Put simply, Wall Street’s private equity no longer had to compete for capital. It was there for the taking, from the retirement savings of Americans lucky enough to have a pension. Predictably, as competition waned in the battle for funds, private equity firms started upping the fees they charged pension funds. As one report documented, pension funds doubled the money they allocated to “alternatives,” the category that included private equity, between 2006 and 2012. And “these changes in investment practice have coincided with an increase in fees as well as uncertainty about future realized returns, both of which may have significant implications for public pension funds’ costs and long-term sustainability.” In plain English: at a time when the outlook for fully funded pensions was darkening, Wall Street was harvesting higher fees from them.

There are now more private equity-owned companies than there are companies listed on public stock exchanges like NYSE and Nasdaq. Last year, they bought up $1.2 trillion worth of companies in the United States, smashing the previous record of less than a trillion, set before the 2008 financial crisis, which marked but a brief interruption in the rise of private equity. The pandemic-induced economic contraction in 2021 was a boon to private equity because the Federal Reserve’s interventions in financial markets lowered the cost of debt.

Small steps like these – there were many others over the last 40 years – gave us the situation we have now, in which the nation’s public pension funds provide the bulk of the money for private equity. There are a lot of reasons to criticize private equity, as it is responsible for many abuses, including the looting of the retail industry, fraying of vital services such as health care, and defense-related profiteering. And private equity loves to assemble monopolies (like in cheerleading!) because they are very good at extracting money. And read this Buzzfeed blockbuster for a horrifying story of what happens when private equity buys care facilities for people with severe developmental disabilities. But its rise would be unimaginable without the money provided by pension funds.

Ludovic Phalippou, the University of Oxford scholar who coined the term “billionaire factory” to describe private equity, estimates that the industry harvested $370 billion in fees and expenses since 2015. A recent investigation by Bloomberg found that major public pension funds do not or cannot keep track of the fees and expenses they pay to private equity titans like Blackstone, Apollo, and the like. The common denominator is that private equity firms report data in scattershot ways, allowing for no comparability across companies. And they are notorious for padding expenses, such as charging their clients when they fly on private jets. SEC probes have resulted in warnings to this effect.

And that’s where SEC Chair Gensler, a white-collar sheriff type who knows finance well, comes in. In broad strokes, Gensler has proposed reviving the market for capital, in which those who would use the money actually compete for it. Under the plan, which is now the subject of public comment, private funds (private equity, hedge, and others) would be required to provided information to potential investors (like pension funds) about their fees and expenses, and their track records, in a standardized format. And it would prevent private funds from using their existing market power to force investors to surrender their rights to clear information, or to force them into sweetheart deals for the private equity firm.

Gensler is aiming at fees on the theory that transparency can result in more competition for money from pension funds, lower fees for private equity barons, and better capital allocation, as investors realize their money would work better elsewhere. (You can actually have an impact here, by offering your thoughts to the SEC. If you’d like to offer comments, email rule-comments@sec.gov and indicate file S7-03-22 or go to https://www.sec.gov/rules/proposed.shtml and click through the link on S7-03-22. Or follow instructions here.)

Imagine pension funds using the greater transparency to comparison-shop on fees and returns and demanding better terms. There’s a case to be made that the changes might even generate momentum toward structural change. If transparency were to expose the illusory promises of private equity for pension funds and other investors, it could reduce opportunities for leveraged buyouts, and reinvigorate more transparent public markets – the centerpiece of the New Deal reforms that created the SEC in the first place. That change, spurred by abuses of Blackstone and others, won’t win any praise in Stephen Schwarzman’s next opus. But it might appear in his obituaries.

Do you have experience in the opaque world of the pension fund-private equity relationship that you can share? On either side? Would clear, comparable information help investors? What do private equity firms say now if you ask them for that information? BIG would love to hear from you. To offer your views, send me an email by responding to this newsletter.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum

finance.jpeg
finance.jpeg (143.31 KiB) Viewed 1514 times

Things just started ..
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quite.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

FT | Asset manager capitalism 3.0
The real asset investment splurge
The recent kerfuffle around Blackstone’s real estate investment trust has served as a timely reminder of one of the more notable developments in finance in recent times — the large-scale move of investment institutions into ownership of the physical world around us.

The days of asset managers owning only financial assets are long gone.

This of course matters for a ton of reasons, but mostly because in owning “real assets”, asset managers directly influence people’s everyday lives in a way that isn’t true with their ownership of financial assets. Those that control assets that provide services we simply can’t do without — such as energy, shelter and water — are particularly powerful.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Prospect | Days of Plunder
Two new books call ‘private equity’ what it actually is, but neither offers much hope for emancipation from our eternal hostile takeover.
For some reason, we allow the ownership class to call this form of legalized embezzlement “private equity.” The ideologically diverse authors of two recently released books on the topic, journalist/analyst duo Gretchen Morgenson and Joshua Rosner’s These Are the Plunderers and prosecutor Brendan Ballou’s Plunder, concur on a more accurate term, though the late private equity mogul Teddy Forstmann’s pet name for his contemporaries, “barbarians,” seems more literally descriptive of his profession’s impact and influence on the companies they massacre.
If asked for a prediction for how the USA could fall, my answer would not be the current woke nonsense, but the plundering - hollowing out and eventual bankruptcy - in other words, the destruction of viable US corporations by so-called private equity.
Destruction from within.

The former middle class reduced to neo-feudal servitude.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:49 am Prospect | Days of Plunder
Two new books call ‘private equity’ what it actually is, but neither offers much hope for emancipation from our eternal hostile takeover.
For some reason, we allow the ownership class to call this form of legalized embezzlement “private equity.” The ideologically diverse authors of two recently released books on the topic, journalist/analyst duo Gretchen Morgenson and Joshua Rosner’s These Are the Plunderers and prosecutor Brendan Ballou’s Plunder, concur on a more accurate term, though the late private equity mogul Teddy Forstmann’s pet name for his contemporaries, “barbarians,” seems more literally descriptive of his profession’s impact and influence on the companies they massacre.
If asked for a prediction for how the USA could fall, my answer would not be the current woke nonsense, but the plundering - hollowing out and eventual bankruptcy - in other words, the destruction of viable US corporations by so-called private equity.
Destruction from within.

The former middle class reduced to neo-feudal servitude.
Yeah I came to this conclusion sometime ago. Finance is killing America. I don't have a problem with Equity that actually invests in productive enterprises like manufacturing. But it seems most equity is in financial instruments that are at their root just speculation, and/or instruments of mass destruction. In any event vulture capitalism picking the bones clean.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Meanwhile in the UK . . .

FT | How the Thames Water-gate burst
It [Macquarie] bought Thames Water for £4.8bn in 2006. By the time Macquarie fully exited in 2017, it had taken out £2.7bn in dividends and £2.2bn in loans. Meanwhile, the debt on the utility’s balance sheet had nearly tripled to £10.8bn.