Critiques of Atheism

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Simple Minded

Re: Critiques of Atheism

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote:
Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump.
I said, "Don't do it!"
He said, "Nobody loves me."
I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes."
I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?"
He said, "A Christian."
I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?"
He said, "Protestant."
I said, "Me, too! What franchise?"
He said, "Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?"
He said, "Northern Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?"
He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region."
I said, "Me, too!"

I said, "Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?"
He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."
I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.
I had an interesting conversation the other day that reminded me of the above. Talking with a gent, it came out that he was a professional mediator. I assumed he had a law degree and he told me he did not, but he did have master's degrees in divinity and anthropology. I asked him more about his work and he replied that his primary clients were pastors and congregations.

I was stunned. When I said I would not expect many disagreements there, he laughed and said you would be amazed. According to him, the relationship between a pastor and the congregation is the same as between an employee and an employer. Apparently, when the flock does not like what the Shepard says, the flock often votes to can the Shepard.

A couple very interesting examples followed. I could have talked to this guy for hours.
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »