Tipping

Past and present. You can't make this stuff up.
noddy

Tipping

Post by noddy »

One thing I would never get used to in america is compulsory tipping, its like hiding the tax percent from the price and stinging you with it at the end.

In australia, their is a price that includes the wages and the taxes and you pay the damn thing, no need for advanced guilt trip maths, you look in your wallet and at the menu and you make your choices.

I always hear the americans argue that it encourages the wait staff to do better but i dont get that at all!

they cant do better, they arent involved in the purchasing or preparation of my food, all I want from them is to bring it to me without body fluids on it.

The other argument is that better wait staff make more than bad ones but thats the restuarants problem to hire and manage competent staff, dont dump that on me when im trying to enjoy a night out.

madness.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Re: Tipping

Post by Simple Minded »

:D Wow!

The temperature of the whole Earth is rising at 0.037 degrees per year,
ocean levels are rising by approximately 0.0400" per year,
Trump is POTUS,
Big Brother has a listening device in every smart phone, automobile, and computer,
women are getting gang raped left and right,
it's open season on Blacks, Browns, Gays, Transvestites, and Lefties,
Asians are not a legitimate minority,
old white straight men are ruining everything,
getting a college degree in grievance studies or feminist poetry does not guarantee one a six digit income,
Bigfoot is seen only rarely by a few dozen people each year,
God(s) have not been seen nor updated our operating instructions in millennia.....
and it bothers you to have to figure out how much to tip the Shelia who is bringing you your Roo burger?

GET THE HELL OFFA MY LAWN YOU *&^%$#@! KIDS!

How much are you paying for a gallon of gasoline back home Grampa?

Good to know real people still exist! You're actually focused on reality...... Just for the record, I hereby declare you mentally healthy you magnificent bastard! Next time you're in town, I'm buying you lunch. ;)

Last week I saw two old farts in their 60's almost get in a fistfight over blocking a driveway at a store. I started yelling "I wouldn't take that lavender! Hit em! Hit em!" We all started laughing!

15% is customary, the math challenged tip 0% or 10%.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy,

The bigger tipping problem in Merika is dog parks promoting rape culture.

The first time that big, straight, white, male, German Shepard tries to rape my little hermaphrodite Maggie and feels her penis sticking out of her vagina, he'll be queerer than a $3 bill for the rest of his life.

Canine Social Justice!
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Tipping is a lousy system, be we are stuck with it. I try to tip in cash whenever possible, especially at cheap restaurants where the mgt. can steal the tips.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Simple Minded wrote:noddy,

The first time that big, straight, white, male, German Shepard tries to rape my little hermaphrodite Maggie and feels her penis sticking out of her vagina, he'll be queerer than a $3 bill for the rest of his life.

Canine Social Justice!
You do have an interesting mind.
Censorship isn't necessary
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

Tipping isn't compulsory in most situations. I was taught by a mentor that it's an opportunity to be generous, and I have generally accepted that uncritically. I don't really eat out that often, but when I do, a large cash tip is usually in the offing. Ideally I suppose wait staff would be better paid, but then again, skilled waiters/waitresses can make a lot of money in tips, and if they are good, a portion of it could credibly escape taxation. Tax avoidance being an American civic duty may help reinforce this aspect of our culture.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: How much are you paying for a gallon of gasoline back home Grampa?
$6 dollerydoos or about $1.60 a litre in non archaic terms... dont get me started on it! i had to sell my ute and get a shopping trolley to keep the expenses down.
Simple Minded wrote:15% is customary, the math challenged tip 0% or 10%.
how much is "dont stand up in a canoe" worth :)
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Tipping is a lousy system, be we are stuck with it. I try to tip in cash whenever possible, especially at cheap restaurants where the mgt. can steal the tips.
yeh, thats the other side of the story, the person too cheap to pay a living wage also taking the tips, odious.
crashtech66 wrote: skilled waiters/waitresses can make a lot of money in tips, and if they are good, a portion of it could credibly escape taxation. Tax avoidance being an American civic duty may help reinforce this aspect of our culture.
thats true, an angle i hadnt thought of .

Im probably a bit crankier than most , cough, but i actually dislike the forced smiles and upsell thing when business's hit me with it, ill choose the quiet relaxed placed every time.

my favourite local is quite expensive but the staff are all well paid and in it for the long term so its all too easy, i barely need to speak anymore.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Mr. Perfect wrote:

Canine Social Justice!
and probably the video too.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Tipping is a lousy system (like Nonc says) but some people do well for themselves that way (like crashtech says).

But on that last front things are changing, at least 'round these parts:

-more places are very anal about pooling tips now, (and screwing the staff out of money).

-20% has become the norm around these parts.

-more places are making it a mandatory gratuity charge on the bill and;

-yet also expect you to leave an additional tip on top of that.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

crashtech66 wrote:Tipping isn't compulsory in most situations. I was taught by a mentor that it's an opportunity to be generous, and I have generally accepted that uncritically. I don't really eat out that often, but when I do, a large cash tip is usually in the offing. Ideally I suppose wait staff would be better paid, but then again, skilled waiters/waitresses can make a lot of money in tips, and if they are good, a portion of it could credibly escape taxation. Tax avoidance being an American civic duty may help reinforce this aspect of our culture.
Well put. Oddly enough, my buddy from Bermuda and I were discussing tipping in an Italian restaurant on Friday with the owner. The owner said that the legal minimum wage for wait staff is $2/hr. Like anyone else in the free market those who are good at what they do, do well. Most of the waiters and waitresses I have spoken to over the years make between $25 and $40 an hour. The restaurant owner said the current waitress used to work for him, left to work in a bank, and came back. Based on waiting on 5 or 6 tables while we were there, I'd estimate she (who had a great personality for the job) was making about $30/hr.

Upside of the tipping wage, those with lousy personalities will find a line of work they are better suited for, which is good for the customer and owner.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Mr. Perfect wrote:

Canine Social Justice!
Its a gift, er, uh, I mean talent from God. I'm sure you know the lesson about God giving one talents.

God works in mysterious ways.....
Last edited by Simple Minded on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
how much is "dont stand up in a canoe" worth :)
the phrase I grew up with is "Don't take any wooden nickels."

noddy wrote:Im probably a bit crankier than most , cough, but i actually dislike the forced smiles and upsell thing when business's hit me with it, ill choose the quiet relaxed placed every time.

my favourite local is quite expensive but the staff are all well paid and in it for the long term so its all too easy, i barely need to speak anymore.
yep. nothing is worse than those who are personality challenged trying to suck up to you for money. Be careful making jokes with wait staff under the age of 30, some may be snowflakes.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

And tip the pizza delivery person well! They have expenses and risks far beyond a server or bartender.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

XHcCbY2wY38
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

boom tish.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

A strong argument against the government's official 9/11 conspiracy theory.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Tipping for service was a new custom that I had to learn while living in the US Midwest.

Tipping does not exist in Japan*.

*The only exception that comes to mind is at an onsen.
One tips the nakai-san, the onsen staff who attends to ones party.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Tipping advice: Always wait until the cow is asleep.