Blues Rock Guitar history

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Blues Rock Guitar history

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote:1963

lv8TmAUA7Rw
+1
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

in the interest of promotion diversity, artistic enrichment, and cultural cross pollination here is an anti-blues song, that puts a smile on everyone's face:

wu1UXCdyNo0
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote:in the interest of promotion diversity, artistic enrichment, and cultural cross pollination here is an anti-blues song, that puts a smile on everyone's face:
Oh hell no. I'm still trying to exterpate that Boy George earworm you gave me last week.

cJunCsrhJjg
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

OK Nonc, hopefully this will cheer you up!

5HXBmgMHcBA
noddy

Post by noddy »

FhTCYqJsfqs
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Tomas Dolby:
I’d hired Dr. Magnus Pyke, a well- known TV personality and scientist, to play the part of the mad psychiatrist. We didn’t see eye to eye. Despite the fact that I’d sent him a copy of the story board, along with a check that wiped out a large chunk of our budget, Dr. Pyke was not comfortable with the idea of wearing a white lab coat on- screen, and he was refusing to come out of his trailer. An assistant director brought me the bad news, so I went to see him myself. “My public don’t regard me that way,” he complained, clearly on the verge of a tantrum.
I bumped into Dr. Pyke many years later, in Edinburgh at a conference. He’d just returned from a lecture tour of the USA. I asked him how it had gone. “Badly, Dolby,” he spat back. “Every time I walked down the sidewalk someone would sneak up behind me and yell ‘SCIENCE!’ at the top of their lungs! It seems that bloody MTV video of yours is more widely recognized than my body of scientific work.”
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

ikHI7_PMFNc
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote:Tomas Dolby:
I’d hired Dr. Magnus Pyke, a well- known TV personality and scientist, to play the part of the mad psychiatrist. We didn’t see eye to eye. Despite the fact that I’d sent him a copy of the story board, along with a check that wiped out a large chunk of our budget, Dr. Pyke was not comfortable with the idea of wearing a white lab coat on- screen, and he was refusing to come out of his trailer. An assistant director brought me the bad news, so I went to see him myself. “My public don’t regard me that way,” he complained, clearly on the verge of a tantrum.
I bumped into Dr. Pyke many years later, in Edinburgh at a conference. He’d just returned from a lecture tour of the USA. I asked him how it had gone. “Badly, Dolby,” he spat back. “Every time I walked down the sidewalk someone would sneak up behind me and yell ‘SCIENCE!’ at the top of their lungs! It seems that bloody MTV video of yours is more widely recognized than my body of scientific work.”
:D fame is fickle. as the old joke goes:

one day I was in the park and came across a man sitting on the bench and crying. I asked him what was wrong.
"I've built dozens of bridges, do people call me Ernie the Bridge Builder? I've done at least 50 famous statues in museums all over the world, do people call me Ernie the Sculptor? I've also written and performed 10 or 12 hit songs, do people call me Ernie the Singer? But you suck just one cock......"
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

When it comes to great blues songs, you can't leave this one out:

pLm07s8fnzM
noddy

Post by noddy »

H9oTok7p228

the actual demo starts at 3.30 ish , its a super crazy pedal which Id never need but always be in danger of buying - the squelchy "bernie worrel" bass and the organ sounds alone are enough to trigger irrationality.,
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

z3NmKMqdD8I
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

qEIBmGZxAhg

Jimmie Rodgers, known as the "father of country", and a big influence on the blues singers

from his wiki:
Rodgers' legacy and influence is not limited to country music. The 2009 book Meeting Jimmie Rodgers: How America's Original Roots Music Hero Changed the Pop Sounds of a Century tracks Rodgers influence through a broad range of musical genres, internationally. He was influential to Ozark poet Frank Stanford, who composed a series of "blue yodel" poems, and a number of later blues artists. Rodgers was one of the biggest stars of American music between 1927 and 1933, arguably doing more to popularize blues than any other performer of his time.[21] Rodgers influenced many later blues artists, among them Muddy Waters, Big Bill Broonzy,[23] and Chester Arthur Burnett, better known as Howlin' Wolf. Jimmie Rodgers was Wolf's childhood idol. Wolf tried to emulate Rodgers's yodel, but found that his efforts sounded more like a growl or a howl. "I couldn't do no yodelin'," Barry Gifford quoted him as saying in Rolling Stone, "so I turned to howlin'. And it's done me just fine."
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

More from Guita Rei:

IcqnW_M7QwA
noddy

Post by noddy »

noddy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:13 am H9oTok7p228

the actual demo starts at 3.30 ish , its a super crazy pedal which Id never need but always be in danger of buying - the squelchy "bernie worrel" bass and the organ sounds alone are enough to trigger irrationality.,
I lashed out and got this pedals big brother second hand - cheesy analog synth world is now my festering oyster.

sRlDvu_HhB0
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

My wife and I watched a PBS summary of the Ken Burn's documentary on the history of country music. Then watched the first episode of the series. Very interesting. Everything Burn's does is top notch.

Take an everyday event and sing about it. Talent is optional, creativity is expected.

https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/country-mu ... sode-guide
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

On a similar vein, an absolutely essential skill.....'>........

hCFBrQWYe3o
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

a classic:

Qq4j1LtCdww
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:41 am My wife and I watched a PBS summary of the Ken Burn's documentary on the history of country music. Then watched the first episode of the series. Very interesting. Everything Burn's does is top notch.

Take an everyday event and sing about it. Talent is optional, creativity is expected.

https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/country-mu ... sode-guide
ill have to find this on the wild ocean.

This video is unavailable in your area. Visit the PBS FAQ page for more information.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Simple Minded wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:57 am a classic:

Qq4j1LtCdww
I always thought this sounded like a car commercial
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

In case you haven't heard of seasick steve.

More than meets the eye. First, notice the bass player. Then notice the instrument and the riff. Finally, notice the main lyrical expression and how it's modulated. Simple, and deep. One of the more powerful lyrics I ever remember hearing, mostly because it's a declaration, as opposed to the more obvious trash talking element. Not too bad of a trash talk but that sentence is almost the creation of a new genre.

Rare authenticity.

S-vSZFEWHlo
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:06 am
Simple Minded wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:57 am a classic:

Qq4j1LtCdww
I always thought this sounded like a car commercial
That would be Alice Coupér.

Teresa of Ávila
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Touche' :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:14 am In case you haven't heard of seasick steve.

More than meets the eye. First, notice the bass player. Then notice the instrument and the riff. Finally, notice the main lyrical expression and how it's modulated. Simple, and deep. One of the more powerful lyrics I ever remember hearing, mostly because it's a declaration, as opposed to the more obvious trash talking element. Not too bad of a trash talk but that sentence is almost the creation of a new genre.

Rare authenticity.

S-vSZFEWHlo
solid stuff.

my favourite thing of his is the phrase "I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

tUdTcP-fs9g
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Wow. Some Hendrix tricks pre-Hendrix.