Blues Rock Guitar history

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
noddy

Re: Blues Rock Guitar history

Post by noddy »

how to extract money from dentists and accountants like they extract money from you.

exhibit A: https://www.gibson.com/Gear/Hardware/PCAP-059#

teardown A: https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/histo ... ps.118027/

40c marked up to $124
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Lol tbh your accountant dentist meme has not begun to get old yet.
Censorship isn't necessary
noddy

Post by noddy »

harley davidson , PRS, Fender/Gibson custom shops and the career of Joe Bonawhatsisfacea are dependant on that meme flourishing!
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

This is a little grouping of the latest blues guitar bros and tbh they play really really good. If you like this kind of music you should be really happy, and it's really hard to be happy about music a lot of the time. So you have to appreciate what you get.

syHGABc3wIE
noddy

Post by noddy »

Eric Gales is kinda fun, he seems to have a level of inspiration I find lacking in the rest, I mean to chase up more of his work and see whats going on there.

I dont dislike this sort of thing and its fine as background music, but alas, it all just strikes me like trad jazz, a dead genre with rules and a standard set of backing tracks and solos that everyone does, their are a bunch of guys who can play that well but very few who can take it to next level and just tweek it enough with inspiration and make it feel new again.

sorta like the best of the 80/90's revivalists did, freshen it up for a new age and new earholes, it deserves that somehow.

---

reminded me of these guys, surely derivative of 60's blues rock and soul stuff but managed to make it sound fresh, the solo isnt much to listen to but the general rythym of the thing is pretty solid.

BYyRLTveFJQ

---

this guy solid for one of the new guys, keeps it pumping first, sneaks in bits of lick around it.

ECbgzgvfG4Y
ultracrepidarian
Juno

Post by Juno »

looks like they dragged the guitar up highway 9, sounds like an angel is playing it.
looks like they dragged the guitar up highway 9, sounds like an angel is playing it.
TTfret.jpeg (128.62 KiB) Viewed 2779 times
http://www.truetemperament.com/necks/

thot this might be of interest, especially to Mr. Perfect. these have been around a while I am surprised they are not more common.
Proud Member International Brotherhood of Bullfighters, Rodeo Clowns, and Barrelmen, Local 17
noddy

Post by noddy »

they are very cool - ive seen folks like Steve Vai using them.

in the practical world, most folks arent tuning nor playing their guitars accurately enough for these flaws to be apparent - minor differences in pressing weight on the string will also move the tuning by a few cents.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Yep, I've got 3 of them. 2 strats and a tele, locking tuners, TT frets, roller nuts, the only way to go.

I got Warmoth necks and shipped them over. They are everything as advertised. My next build will probably be a Les Paul with TT frets.
Juno

Post by Juno »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Yep, I've got 3 of them. 2 strats and a tele, locking tuners, TT frets, roller nuts, the only way to go.

I got Warmoth necks and shipped them over. They are everything as advertised. My next build will probably be a Les Paul with TT frets.
What? no Duesenberg?

edit: also, they have a place in Austin now: https://tttexas.com
Proud Member International Brotherhood of Bullfighters, Rodeo Clowns, and Barrelmen, Local 17
noddy

Post by noddy »

you got me curious about upgrading my old strat, but i cant find them.

https://www.warmoth.com/Pages/GuitarNecks.aspx
ultracrepidarian
Juno

Post by Juno »

noddy wrote:you got me curious about upgrading my old strat, but i cant find them.

https://www.warmoth.com/Pages/GuitarNecks.aspx
The guy who invented them is in Stockholm http://www.truetemperament.com/

He has a partnership or a joint venture with the guys in Austin - for the fretting system.

One way they do it is you send them your neck and they take off the fingerboard and put on a new one with the TT frets. That way you keep the original headstock.
They will also make you a neck and send it to you, and you swap your out.

I don't understand why there aren't more manufacturer's offering this as an option, I'm no super pro, but watching the videos I can immediately tell the difference. I wonder if Mr. Perfect would share his experience with them. I'm waiting for my first neck to be made...
noddy

Post by noddy »

aah ok - I thought Mr P said he got them from Warmoth.

the downside is that you no longer can just refret them easily and im not sure how it works against changing string gauges / tensions / capo - wouldnt you immediately lose the benefit ?

so it makes sense on some instruments, im not sure it makes sense on all of them.

for my playing, i cant say i could hear the small differences but i sound like a tortured cat anyway.
ultracrepidarian
Juno

Post by Juno »

noddy wrote:aah ok - I thought Mr P said he got them from Warmoth.

the downside is that you no longer can just refret them easily and im not sure how it works against changing string gauges / tensions / capo - wouldnt you immediately lose the benefit ?

so it makes sense on some instruments, im not sure it makes sense on all of them.

for my playing, i cant say i could hear the small differences but i sound like a tortured cat anyway.
Many of those questions are answered at http://www.truetemperament.com/faq/
I think a capo would work in almost all situations.

Listen to some of the links on youtube, especially when the guy plays an open D chord and then runs it up the neck. You can tell the difference.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

H4xybmGtEE8
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

noddy wrote:aah ok - I thought Mr P said he got them from Warmoth.

Back in the day you could get TT frets as an option from Warmoth, and they are made from stainless steel now so refretting isn't much of an issue. I have the older non stainless alloy, I forget what it is but it isn't nickel. These days you can order a fretless neck from Warmoth and ship it over. Anders can scallop and do the frets, he can do pretty much anything.

Capos usually work, doesn't work very well on the first fret, but I usually do the 2nd or 7th and haven't had problems. Bending is a breeze.

Overall it is totally worth it, the guitar is in tune all across the neck beyond my ability to hear. Playing other guitars you can hear it out of tune depending on where you play.
noddy

Post by noddy »

might look into it for my strat when i refurbish it.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

when it comes to blues rock guitar history, I think Culture Club and this song are extremely underrated, almost to the point of being ignored:

JmcA9LIIXWw
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote:when it comes to blues rock guitar history, I think Culture Club and this song are extremely underrated, almost to the point of being ignored:

JmcA9LIIXWw
Blues rock? Nah. Great song, but pure pop.
For most underrated/ignored Blues Rock I propose:
YXcYZsqkZ-g
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: I think Culture Club and this song are extremely underrated, almost to the point of being ignored:
long may that continue.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote: I think Culture Club and this song are extremely underrated, almost to the point of being ignored:
long may that continue.
:D there you go Nonc. one man's pop is another man's blues!

When it comes to performing authentic blues, I think only black people and trans people have suffered enough oppression to truly express authentic blues. whites need not apply.

their blues songs should be privilege adjusted like SAT scores.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:
long may that continue.
:D there you go Nonc. one man's pop is another man's blues!

When it comes to performing authentic blues, I think only black people and trans people have suffered enough oppression to truly express authentic blues. whites need not apply.

their blues songs should be privilege adjusted like SAT scores.
Blue Cheer was an important band. Straight, white guys. One of the commenters posted that they invented heavy metal and they may well be right. Way ahead of their time in 1968 and not even a mention in Wikipedia.

But Mott the Hoople might be a better choice as they are the best '70's blues/rock megaband nobody has ever heard of.

zvFpX98EOPo

MtH frontman Ian Hunter's "Cleveland Rocks" was a frickin' anthem for the decade.

F9t0erKxYBo
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
But Mott the Hoople might be a better choice as they are the best '70's blues/rock megaband nobody has ever heard of.

zvFpX98EOPo

MtH frontman Ian Hunter's "Cleveland Rocks" was a frickin' anthem for the decade.

F9t0erKxYBo
I remember them from my high school days!!!! Do I get my Music Sophisticato Merit Badge now?
noddy

Post by noddy »

lv8TmAUA7Rw
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Do I get my Music Sophisticato Merit Badge now?
i believe your name has been permentantly expunged from the societies records for crimes against human earholes.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote: Do I get my Music Sophisticato Merit Badge now?
i believe your name has been permentantly expunged from the societies records for crimes against human earholes.
:lol: Obviously, in the musical world, it's a fine line between discernment and racism. time for me to lawyer up.