J. of Controversial Ideas

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Parodite

J. of Controversial Ideas

Post by Parodite »

I like the concept. To play with controversial thought.

Here Comes ‘The Journal of Controversial Ideas.’ Cue the Outcry.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Re: Controversial ideas

Post by Simple Minded »

Expecting consensus on the definition of controversial seems problematic.....

If I agree with someone, is their idea controversial or mainstream?
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Simple Minded wrote:Expecting consensus on the definition of controversial seems problematic.....

If I agree with someone, is their idea controversial or mainstream?
If many agree to disagree... it would be a mainstream controversy. 8-)
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Just a controversial pop-upper:

Life would be better without constitutions. They always constrain options and always are a big source of controversy and fights over interpretations. The alternative? Just using our friggin' common sense brains looking at the map of the day and listening to the weather forecasts.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Around the dawn of this century, I was a camp follower of this magazine that also put content on line which you could comment on. I'm surprised they're still publishing......'>.......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:Just a controversial pop-upper:

Life would be better without constitutions. They always constrain options and always are a big source of controversy and fights over interpretations. The alternative? Just using our friggin' common sense brains looking at the map of the day and listening to the weather forecasts.
The search for common sense gets really tough some days. To quote George Carlin "Here's a scary thought. Ya know how stupid the average person is? Half of em are stupider than that!"

Some Constitutions, like some religions, or some philosophies seem, IMSMO to be documented common sense.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Around the dawn of this century, I was a camp follower of this magazine that also put content on line which you could comment on. I'm surprised they're still publishing......'>.......
excellent.
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Around the dawn of this century, I was a camp follower of this magazine that also put content on line which you could comment on. I'm surprised they're still publishing......'>.......
Well, my first try at reading a something there ended in failure, I just couldn't make it through. A lot of opinion pieces lately seem almost intentionally alienating, although their writers probably don't think of them that way.

P.S. I'll leave the tab open and try again later.
Doc

Post by Doc »

This article strikes me as nothing but a strawman.

https://thebaffler.com/latest/trafficki ... -mac-smith
A spokeswoman for another organization told reporters that being “stolen off the street” at random by human traffickers constituted “a very big possibility” and warned people to stay in groups to avoid being kidnapped. An anxious mother’s claim that she thought her children were going to be abducted by traffickers in IKEA was shared more than 100,000 times on social media. (All this resonates with nineteenth-century white-slavery fears; in 1899, a missionary with the Women’s Christian Temperance Union reported “there is a slave trade in this country, and it is not black folks at this time, but little white girls—thirteen, fourteen, sixteen, and seventeen years of age—and they are snatched out of our arms, and from our Sabbath schools and from our Communion tables.”) Slick, shareable videos depict young girls grabbed by strangers on the street, vanishing into vans.

Real life:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of ... and_murder
Kidnapping and murder

On the afternoon of July 27, 1981, Adam's mother, Revé, took him shopping with her to the Hollywood Mall in Hollywood, Florida (26°00′46″N 80°10′30″W). They went together to the Sears and entered via the north entrance.[5] Revé intended to inquire about a lamp which was on sale, and left Adam at a kiosk with Atari 2600 video games on display where several other boys were taking turns playing them. Revé completed her business in the lamp department at approximately 12:15pm.[5][6] She said that she returned to find that Adam and the other boys had disappeared. A store manager informed her that a scuffle had broken out over whose turn it was at the kiosk, and a security guard demanded that they leave the store. The security guard asked the older boys if their parents were there, and they said that they were not.[7] It was later conjectured by Adam's parents that he was too shy to speak to the security guard, who presumed that he was in the company of the other boys, and as such, the security guard made him leave by the same door that the boys entered through (which was the Sears west entrance). His parents believe that after the other boys dispersed, he was left alone outside the store, at an exit unfamiliar to him.[7][8] Meanwhile, unable to find Adam in the toy department, Revé had him paged over the public address system and continued to look for him throughout the store. She, by coincidence, ran into his grandmother, Jean, who helped her search for him. After more than 90 minutes of fruitless searching and public address pages which failed to turn him up, she called the Hollywood Police at 1:55pm.[5]

Two weeks after his disappearance, Adam's severed head was found on the evening of August 10, 1981. It was discovered by two fishermen in a drainage canal alongside the Florida Turnpike near Vero Beach, Florida (27°33′35″N 80°39′47″W), almost 130 miles from Hollywood. The Florida Highway Patrol was informed of the discovery at 7:30pm on August 10.[9] Indian River County and St. Lucie County divers searched the canal.[9] On the morning of August 11, as Hollywood, Florida police rushed dental records to Vero Beach to compare them to the found remains, John and Revé appeared on the national news program Good Morning America. They said that they were still clinging to hope that he was alive; a $100,000 reward had been posted for his safe return. The recovered remains were positively identified as his shortly after, and the confirmation made national news headlines.

Using the recovered head, the coroner ruled that the cause of Adam's death was asphyxiation and that the decapitation had occurred after death, perhaps to render his remains unidentifiable. The state of the remains suggested that his death had occurred several days before the discovery of his head. The rest of his body has never been recovered.[4]
Adam was 6 years old at the time of his murder
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

This is a meme with disturbing parallels and I'm wondering when it will come to the USA........

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/who- ... ey-n940016
noddy

Post by noddy »

doesnt trump represent your version of that already ?

so far that part of australia has been kept quiet, im wondering who/what will let that cat out of the bag.
ultracrepidarian
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

noddy wrote:doesnt trump represent your version of that already ?

so far that part of australia has been kept quiet, im wondering who/what will let that cat out of the bag.
Given the recent elections, this may be a city and state phenomenon....... look:

When I see sales islands of this apparel at Mills Fleet & Farm, I might anticipate burning cars and shattered storefronts in the very near future. The fear of having this portion of the public do civil disobedience, because of their higher competence they may be very good at it.....'>.....
Simple Minded

Re: J. of Controversial Ideas

Post by Simple Minded »

Life is imitating art on so many fronts today.

When I rad the news reports of huge yellow jackets running amuck in France, I immediately imagined:

APUWOoUqQho
Last edited by Simple Minded on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:
noddy wrote:doesnt trump represent your version of that already ?

Given the recent elections, this may be a city and state phenomenon....... look:

When I see sales islands of this apparel at Mills Fleet & Farm, I might anticipate burning cars and shattered storefronts in the very near future. The fear of having this portion of the public do civil disobedience, because of their higher competence they may be very good at it.....'>.....
Obvious solution for France is to simply outlaw yellow vests! It's not like they have a Constitutional right to own yellow vests!

I'd start by searching car trunks for yellow vests!

Hard to imagine Aussies taking to the streets pushing their BBQ's.......crap, I forgot about their frying pans. Much more portable and concealable.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Hard to imagine Aussies taking to the streets pushing their BBQ's....... .

well, actually.

IqokzHuoLtk
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Simple Minded wrote:
Obvious solution for France is to simply outlaw yellow vests! It's not like they have a Constitutional right to own yellow vests!

From what I hear, the reason for the yellow vests is that it was *this close* to being government-mandated that one had to own those warning vests if one wanted to own a vehicle of any kind; one would've further been obligated to wear one in case of any vehicle emergencies whatsoever, with severe penalties if you did not. Sort of like, if you changed a car tire without your yellow vest, you'd be locked up.

So everyone stocked up on them, apparently to great agitation, in anticipation of a statute which didn't pass at the very last minute.

You could say France inlawed those yellow vests! And like any stock character story, they are now fighting with their inlaws around the holidays. :D
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

From what I hear, the reason for the yellow vests is that it was *this close* to being government-mandated that one had to own those warning vests if one wanted to own a vehicle of any kind; one would've further been obligated to wear one in case of any vehicle emergencies whatsoever, with severe penalties if you did not. Sort of like, if you changed a car tire without your yellow vest, you'd be locked up.

So everyone stocked up on them, apparently to great agitation, in anticipation of a statute which didn't pass at the very last minute.

You could say France inlawed those yellow vests! And like any stock character story, they are now fighting with their inlaws around the holidays. :D
My understanding was that the vests were mandatory for motor vehicle owners. My comment was tongue-in-cheek. I guess I shoulda added some emojis........ ;) :) :P

But, if inanimate objects influence behavior........ (imagine an emoji of your choice here)
noddy

Post by noddy »

fark, i sure hope the australian lefties dont hear about this compulsory safety clothing malarky :/
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I suspect the yellow vest is another Soros color revolution. Divide and conquer.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Thought this Weinstein-vs-Molyneux mind twister reveals (at least) two controversial ideas for the price of one! With some juicy biases and myths entertained by both gents.

https://twitter.com/BretWeinstein/statu ... 0009564160
Parodite

Climate change is good for your IQ

Post by Parodite »

Parodite wrote:Thought this Weinstein-vs-Molyneux mind twister reveals (at least) two controversial ideas for the price of one! With some juicy biases and myths entertained by both gents.

https://twitter.com/BretWeinstein/statu ... 0009564160
Here it is: climate change (as part of environmental change in general) is good for your IQ! Always living in a stable environment is not only boring.. it also is a death sentence. No new survival tricks learned if you stay in a safe-space too long.
Climate Effects on Human Evolution

[...]

The Variability Selection Hypothesis

A different hypothesis is that the key events in human evolution were shaped not by any single type of habitat (e.g., grassland) or environmental trend (e.g., drying) but rather by environmental instability. This idea, developed by Dr. Rick Potts of the Human Origins Program, is called variability selection. This hypothesis calls attention to the variability observed in all environmental records and to the fact that the genus Homo was not limited to a single type of environment. Over the course of human evolution, human ancestors increased their ability to cope with changing habitats rather than specializing on a single type of environment. How did hominins evolve the ability to respond to shifting surroundings and new environmental conditions?

[...]
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Flat Earth hypothesis. I'm a supporter.

Sure we perceive the world as a sphere, now that our perceptive sensory apparatus has been extended with tools used by science. But is it a sphere really, or just a perception of space-time and a 3d-geometry constructed by our brains?

To construct a 3d sphere from a 2d source object you need some mathematics. Will hunt for that math and then claim the brain is doing that math creating the perception of a 3d earth from an actual 2d flat earth.

For starters: https://www.comsol.nl/video/how-to-buil ... ltiphysics
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Life ... t-20190205
This Indian man is angry at his parents for giving birth to him without his consent.

Raphael Samuel from Mumbai, India, he’d compare having children to “slavery” and “kidnapping”, Metro reports.

“I love my parents, and we have a great relationship, but they had me for their joy and their pleasure,” Raphael argues.

“My life’s been amazing, but I don’t see why I should put another life through the rigmarole of school and finding a career, especially when they didn’t ask to exist,” he says of having children of his own.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Life ... t-20190205
This Indian man is angry at his parents for giving birth to him without his consent.

Raphael Samuel from Mumbai, India, he’d compare having children to “slavery” and “kidnapping”, Metro reports.

“I love my parents, and we have a great relationship, but they had me for their joy and their pleasure,” Raphael argues.

“My life’s been amazing, but I don’t see why I should put another life through the rigmarole of school and finding a career, especially when they didn’t ask to exist,” he says of having children of his own.
some ideologies are self correcting. it just takes a generation or .........
noddy

Post by noddy »

the trickyness of this ideology is its not self correcting in the next generation, as its the previous generations fault!
ultracrepidarian