DNA, Watson, Racism

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Mr. Perfect

DNA, Watson, Racism

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Not sure where to put this, but a very interesting development in the culture wars.

Gold standard scientist, perhaps top 10 scientist of all time, discoverer of DNA itself is being depersoned because of his views on race. Maybe this is what we should do from now on.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... e-comments
DNA scientist James Watson stripped of honors over views on race

New York laboratory cuts ties with 90-year-old scientist who helped discover the structure of DNA, revoking all titles and honors

In 2007, the lab removed him as chancellor after he told the Sunday Times he was “inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa” because “all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours, whereas all the testing says, not really”.

He also said that while he wished the races were equal, “people who have to deal with black employees find this not true.”

Watson apologized at the time but in a recent documentary he said his views have not changed.

“Not at all,” he said in the PBS documentary American Masters: Decoding Watson, the New York Times reported.

“I would like for them to have changed, that there be new knowledge that says that your nurture is much more important than nature. But I haven’t seen any knowledge. And there’s a difference on the average between blacks and whites on IQ tests. I would say the difference is, it’s genetic.”

The latest comments “effectively reverse the written apology and retraction Dr Watson made in 2007”, the lab said, adding it appreciated his legacy of scientific discoveries and leadership of the institution but could no longer be associated with him.

“The statements he made in the documentary are completely and utterly incompatible with our mission, values, and policies, and require the severing of any remaining vestiges of his involvement,” Simons and Stillman said.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Re: DNA, Watson, Racism

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I'll go ahead and take a jump in the pond here.

This is the first case I've come across where a the racist in question came to his conclusion against his will, that is he doesn't appear to be inherently racist, but simply went about studying an issue and was unable to come to any other conclusion, intellectually.

Maybe. There is another curious comment in there, but will leave till later.

The problem this presents though is do we stop gathering facts and analyzing information if it could possibly lead to racist outcomes.
Censorship isn't necessary