College Corruption

Typhoon

College Corruption

Post by Typhoon »

The Spectator | Operation Varsity Blues and the wrong sort of college corruption
Free Felicity Huffman, because nothing else in education is.
[Japan has the occasional scandal regarding preferential admission to some brand uni such as Todai [Tokyo University] or Waseda [Waseda University] of some elite's durian offspring.

The most recent scandal was six or so medical schools limiting admission of women to no more than 30%.]
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Re: College Corruption

Post by Simple Minded »

Just for the record, don't believe anything you read on Social Media regarding how I got my medical degree in proctology.

I earned it.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

The guy's crime is evading taxation by running a phony charity. The University system will not be affected.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:Just for the record, don't believe anything you read on Social Media regarding how I got my medical degree in proctology.

I earned it.
What job did you do when you were earning it?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote:The Spectator | Operation Varsity Blues and the wrong sort of college corruption
Free Felicity Huffman, because nothing else in education is.
[Japan has the occasional scandal regarding preferential admission to some brand uni such as Todai [Tokyo University] or Waseda [Waseda University] of some elite's durian offspring.

The most recent scandal was six or so medical schools limiting admission of women to no more than 30%.]
Apparently Loughlin's daughter had a future career as a social media personality that is now over due to the scandal.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sephora ... ion-2019-3

Sephora cancels partnership with Lori Loughlin's Instagram-famous daughter Olivia Jade amid explosive college-admissions scandal

I guess she will just have to get interested in going to college after all.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Just for the record, don't believe anything you read on Social Media regarding how I got my medical degree in proctology.

I earned it.
What job did you do when you were earning it?
I really can't say since this is a family website. But my screen name was E. Normus Johnson. :P

I was going to use the name Monty Python, but figured I might get sued.....
Last edited by Simple Minded on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:
Apparently Loughlin's daughter had a future career as a social media personality that is now over due to the scandal.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sephora ... ion-2019-3

Sephora cancels partnership with Lori Loughlin's Instagram-famous daughter Olivia Jade amid explosive college-admissions scandal

I guess she will just have to get interested in going to college after all.
This proves God has a wicked sense of humor. We all met the down on his luck bum type who claimed he was once someone rich and famous. When this girl tells the story 40 years from now, it will actually be true.

In my line of work, you have to be cautious. So I only take social media advice from pros like Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian.
noddy

Post by noddy »

must say this has been better than #metoo for schaudenfraude at asshole hollywood types.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote:must say this has been better than #metoo for schaudenfraude at asshole hollywood types.
Disagree. Donations to get into colleges and charity fraud are nothing new. USC is just a variation on a theme.

The real scandal being ignored is discrimination.
lOuYN-Fz6tQ
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:must say this has been better than #metoo for schaudenfraude at asshole hollywood types.
yep. essentially a big nothing burger, other than the tabloid celebrity glamour/schaudenfraude.

privileged mom & dad giving some $ to colleges to get special treatment for junior, is little different than a blow job on the casting couch.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:
yep. essentially a big nothing burger, other than the tabloid celebrity glamour/schaudenfraude.

privileged mom & dad giving some $ to colleges to get special treatment for junior, is little different than a blow job on the casting couch.

I am sure there are college presidents out there that would be happy to do the lap dance ultimate package if enough money was involved in a donation.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/13/lori-lou ... ck-caruso/

Lori Loughlin Daughter Olivia Leaves Yacht Owned by Top USC Official
Last edited by Doc on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Disagree. Donations to get into colleges and charity fraud are nothing new. USC is just a variation on a theme.

lOuYN-Fz6tQ
I havent kept up with it all but australia used to have a facility by why you could pay the full fee of the course to attend without having the qualifying grades - aimed at older people with fat wallets and the trend for vanity degrees.

We also did simmilar for overseas students from asia but Im not sure that rort is as healthy as it was.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

LA Time | What students know that experts don't: School is all about signaling, not skill-building

[This is certainly was the case in Japan. The undergraduate programs, with the exception of STEM and the prof schools, were a four year party even at so-called elite unis such as Todai, Kyodai, Waseda, and Keio. On the other hand, the entrance exams are very tough and extremely competitive. Parent and kids know that what uni one is accepted to will for the vast majority determine ones future.]
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Moving this to "College Corruption" as it has to do with land acknowledgement claims at the University of Washington on behalf of the coast salish people, and the increasing amount of compelled speech and administration-led kulturkampf to enforce beliefs:

UW Professor Triggers Free Speech Fight Over “Indigenous Land Acknowledgement”
There is a major fight unfolding over free speech and academic freedom at the University of Washington where computer science Professor Stuart Reges has been ordered to remove a statement from his syllabus. After the university encouraged faculty to add a prewritten “Indigenous land acknowledgement” statement to their syllabi, Reges decided to write his own statement. He has now been told that, while the university statement is optional, his statement is unacceptable because it questions the indigenous land claim of the Coast Salish people.

The school provided a recommended statement for all faculty to post and/or read to their students at the first of every course:

“The University of Washington acknowledges the Coast Salish peoples of this land, the land which touches the shared waters of all tribes and bands within the Suquamish, Tulalip and Muckleshoot nations.”

Professor Reges disagrees with that statement and expressed his doubts to the faculty while also noting that “Magda” did not want the faculty to discuss such reservations on the email system. That may be a reference to the Director of the Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science & Engineering Magdalena Balazinska.

Reges’ alternative statement read:

“I acknowledge that by the labor theory of property the Coast Salish people can claim historical ownership of almost none of the land currently occupied by the University of Washington.”

Reges clearly believes that the claim of the university land was not sufficiently used or developed to bestow a claim upon the Coast Salish people, which is a broad collection of different groups that stretched from British Columbia to Oregon. The association is based on ethnic or linguistic associations.

At one time, this would have been treated as an interesting foundation for an academic debate over the meaning of ownership, Western v. indigenous views of property, and related issues. There is also the question of whether sweeping claims to such lands violates “Locke’s Proviso” to leave “as good left in common for others.”

Magdalena Balazinska wrote in the email to Reges that

t is offensive, and it creates a toxic environment in your course, which is a required course in our major. You are welcome to voice your opinion and opposition to land acknowledgements, as you have, in other settings. The current statement in your course syllabus is inappropriate and must be removed.”

The controversy at the University of Washington raises the concern that “voluntary” statements have a certain involuntary or even coercive element. It is not clear how an untenured faculty member would fare if the professor declined such invitations or suggestions. It is certainly precarious for an untenured person to openly disagree with such policies. Even if you prevail, you may find yourself unemployed when your contract is not renewed. We recently discussed that concern where a St. John’s professor prevailed in a fight over his questioning reparations, but was later denied the renewal of his contract. The termination sent a chilling message to all faculty members.

We previously discussed how an acting Northwestern Law Dean declared publicly “I am James Speta and I am a racist.” He was followed by Emily Mullin, executive director of major gifts, who announced, “I am a racist and a gatekeeper of white supremacy. I will work to be better.” I have no problem with a dean making such statements based on his own convictions and would defend his right to do so under free speech and academic freedom principles. However, there is also a concern that such decanal statements create pressure on others (particularly untenured members) to begin remarks with such confessional statements. That is why schools must be vigilant and open in supporting a diversity of opinions and making clear that faculty will not be held to any de facto orthodoxy.

That brings us back to Professor Reges. Frankly, I would not have posted this statement because I find it gratuitous and peevish as part of a syllabus. However, ordering a faculty member to remove such a statement (after encouraging the inclusion of the official statement) is deeply concerning.

Even when faculty engage in such hateful acts on campus, however, there is a notable difference in how universities respond depending on the viewpoint. At the University of California campus, professors actually rallied around a professor who physically assaulted pro-life advocates and tore down their display. In the meantime, academics and deans have said that there is no free speech protection for offensive or “disingenuous” speech. CUNY Law Dean Mary Lu Bilek showed how far this trend has gone. When conservative law professor Josh Blackman was stopped from speaking about “the importance of free speech,” Bilek insisted that disrupting the speech on free speech was free speech. (Bilek later cancelled herself and resigned after she made a single analogy to acting like a “slaveholder” as a self-criticism for failing to achieve equity and reparations for black faculty and students). We also previously discussed the case of Fresno State University Public Health Professor Dr. Gregory Thatcher who recruited students to destroy pro-life messages written on the sidewalks and wrongly told the pro-life students that they had no free speech rights in the matter.

Read the whole thing at the link above
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 pm

lOuYN-Fz6tQ
This issue is now going to go before the US Supreme Court:

Wikipedia | Students for Fair Admissions, Inc. v. President and Fellows of Harvard College (Docket 20–1199
NapLajoieonSteroids

George Brown College Under Fire For Requiring a "Land Acknowledgement Statement" for Access to Zoom Events
We have been discussing controversies over “land acknowledgement” statements at universities, including recently at the University of Washington. A new such controversy has arisen at George Brown College in Toronto where, in order to join a Zoom call, both faculty and students were required to agree to a statement that included an acknowledgement that they benefited from colonization.

Social media and conservative sites lit up after the meeting in which participants were required to check a box stating “I agree” to the following statement:

“It has been the site of human activity since time immemorial. This land is the territory of the Huron-Wendat, Mississaugas, Anishinaabe and the Haudenosaunee.

The territory is the subject of the Dish With One Spoon Wampum Belt Covenant, an agreement between the Haudenosaunee Confederacy and the Confederacy of the Anishinabek and Allied Nations to peaceably care for and share the resources around the Great Lakes.

We also acknowledge all Treaty peoples – including those who came here as settlers – as migrants either in this generation or in generations past – and those of us who came here involuntarily, particularly forcibly displanted Africans, brough here as a result of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade and Slavery.

As settlers or the displanted, we benefit from the colonization and genocide of the Indigenous peoples of this land. In order to engage in resistance and solidarity against the past and present injustices inflicted on the Indigenous peoples of this land, it is imperative we constantly engage in acts of awareness and decolonization.

**By selecting ‘I agree,’ you are indicating your acknowledgment of this statement. Our intent is not to impose agreeance, but to inform through acknowledgment. This acknowledgment is to generate awareness and offer opportunities for personal reflection.**”

George Brown recently announced a new and extensive “Anti-Racism Action Plan.”

The school states that at each and every event at the school there must be a land acknowledgement statement:

The Indigenous land acknowledgment is a statement made at the beginning of George Brown College events to recognize the traditional territory upon which we are situated. The current wording for our territorial acknowledgment is:

George Brown College is located on the traditional territory of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation and other Indigenous peoples who have lived here over time. We are grateful to share this land as treaty people who learn, work and live in the community with each other.

The first speaker at an event delivers the land acknowledgment, before longer welcoming or introductory remarks. Most Indigenous groups prefer the land acknowledgment precede the singing of or the playing of O Canada to recognize the historical order.

That would appear to make it mandatory for any groups to recite these words in order to hold an event on campus even if they or some participants oppose either the substance of the statement or the element of compelled speech.

The University of Colorado (Denver) recently encouraged students and faculty to “read the following together with your students from your syllabus”:

“Acknowledging that we reside in the homelands of Indigenous Peoples is an important step in recognizing the history and the original stewards of these lands. Land acknowledgements must extend far beyond words. The United States has worked hard to erase the narratives of Indigenous Peoples over time. Land acknowledgement statements can help to remind us of the history, the contributions and the sacrifices Native peoples have made.

“We honor and acknowledge that we are on the traditional territories and ancestral homelands of the Cheyenne, Arapaho, and Ute nations. This area, specifically the confluence of the Platte and Cherry Creek Rivers was the epicenter for trade, information sharing, planning for the future, community, family and ally building, as well as conducting healing ceremonies for over 45 Indigenous Nations, including the Lakota, Kiowa, Comanche, Apache, Shoshone, Paiute, Zuni, Hopi among others.

“We must recognize Indigenous peoples as the original inhabitants, stewards and relatives of this land. As these words of acknowledgment are spoken and heard, remember the ties these nations still have to their traditional homelands. Let us acknowledge the painful history of genocide and forced removal from this territory and pay our respect to the diverse Indigenous peoples still connected to this land. Let us also give thanks to all Tribal Nations and the ancestors of this place.”

These acknowledgements are usually voluntary, though we saw at the University of Washington that the decision to supply your own such statement can result in a negative response from the Administration.

It is not clear how an untenured faculty member would fare if the professor declined such invitations or suggestions. It is certainly precarious for an untenured person to openly disagree with such policies. Even if you prevail, you may find yourself unemployed when your contract is not renewed. We recently discussed that concern where a St. John’s professor prevailed in a fight over his questioning reparations, but was later denied the renewal of his contract. The termination sent a chilling message to all faculty members.

We previously discussed how an acting Northwestern Law Dean declared publicly “I am James Speta and I am a racist.” He was followed by Emily Mullin, executive director of major gifts, who announced, “I am a racist and a gatekeeper of white supremacy. I will work to be better.” I have no problem with a dean making such statements based on his own convictions and would defend his right to do so under free speech and academic freedom principles. However, there is also a concern that such decanal statements create pressure on others (particularly untenured members) to begin remarks with such confessional statements.

There are various reasons why faculty or students may disagree with the statement supplied by George Brown College, including a resistance to pressure to conform to public expressions or recitations. The question is whether the college’s push to “demystify” and “decolonize” the campus will tolerate such dissent or bar access to programs or opportunities for dissenters.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

How bizarre.
NapLajoieonSteroids

The counter, as I see it, is that I have a bee in my bonnet and that this is fueled by these institutions trying to incorporate more of life into them-- academia as a consumptive product.

How do you make any aborigine feel comfortable consuming the product and entering the market?

To which I argue:

This is missing the forest from the trees. The people who push this stuff are aggressive and treacherous and of the same type as those who broke and traduced the initial treaties and arrangements when it came to land. They want to force people into their confessional state model in order to harm you at some later date, when they no longer need to be passive-aggressive about it.

While it may seem alarmist in certain lights, I think it naive not to recognize this. The goal isn't even so much undermining the territory itself (something many of these people don't believe in or oppose to begin with) as attacking particular concepts, like those tied to the idea of universal human rights like freedom of conscience, which is intertwined within these territorial fights (warts/contradictions and all).

We're laughing our way into a world where there is nothing but indigenous rights (like chthonic, household gods) and the virtual over-world where the ouranic, or olympian, pieties must be performed.