On Academia | Institutes of Higher and Lower Learning

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Typhoon

Re: On Academia | Institutes of Higher and Lower Learning

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:54 am
Colonel Sun wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:55 pm
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:55 am
Colonel Sun wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:53 am In the US, STEM is no longer immune
From getting to the moon to getting a mooning within two generations. None of this will end well.
STEM grad school is the not place for remedial math.
No it isn't. The administrations will be laughing to the bank though; at least until the whole project goes sideways and no one wants US-trained STEM.
Quite.

Decades ago, I worked with a physics prof at Princeton. Even back then he told me that the dept was bending over forwards to accept a specific type of US student with high melanin content by lowering admission standards for them so as to avoid accusations of racism by activists.

Two outcomes:

1. By selecting the token student, a qualified student was denied admission.

2. Due to lack of proper preparation and/or ability in the specific field, the token student was overwhelmed and invariably quit. However, what mattered to the administration bureaucrats was the admission quota and, as you noted, government money.

More observations on the obvious.

There Is No Such Thing as "White" Math
I naively believed that STEM would be spared from the ideological takeover. I was wrong, says Princeton professor Sergiu Klainerman.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

we have special maths programs for those who will never participate in the real maths program here aswell - they are a harmless step towards breaking the anti intellectual cycle.

kids from ghetto backgrounds do dimiss all the maths and learning as white people lavender, tricking them into a half way house is the first stage of maybe breaking that negative loop, reinforced by parents.

they will never suceed at uni, but maybe their kids will.

--

its gets worse over here in the sense that "science and university" have such strong halo's for progressive retards, that all the tech colleges and anything even remotely associated with higher learning got renamed university, and the course called a science.

its why social studies is now considered a science and basks in the glow of STEM.

so, I dont see any of that special "black maff" as a negative, its not aimed at the people who will do well at STEM, it has a different purpose.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

noddy wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:15 am we have special maths programs for those who will never participate in the real maths program here aswell - they are a harmless step towards breaking the anti intellectual cycle.

kids from ghetto backgrounds do dimiss all the maths and learning as white people lavender, tricking them into a half way house is the first stage of maybe breaking that negative loop, reinforced by parents.

they will never suceed at uni, but maybe their kids will.

--

its gets worse over here in the sense that "science and university" have such strong halo's for progressive retards, that all the tech colleges and anything even remotely associated with higher learning got renamed university, and the course called a science.

its why social studies is now considered a science and basks in the glow of STEM.

so, I dont see any of that special "black maff" as a negative, its not aimed at the people who will do well at STEM, it has a different purpose.
I know what you're getting at but we aren't talking about undergrad remedial math that pulls in a lot of incoming chequebooks...err, I mean students...

--------------------------------------------

There is the John Milton argument which goes a step farther: in every class there are 'x' number of otherwise bright and capable children who are alienated by the social relations of a classroom.

These kids may not be in possession of a genius; but who knows what would happen if given the opportunity like Milton? He's had a profound effect on the English language, and a defining voice of his milieu.

So it goes beyond getting a number of kids half-educated...and I'm sympathetic to such an argument.

However, the caution flag of Milton is that his celebrity and influence comes with gallons of blood and that's how a Milton is made. Moreover, there is zero evidence that you can take the same people in charge and have them pull from obscurity one of these Milton kids- be it in STEM or Liberal Arts.

The romantic notion being sold is that these administrations are rescuers and nurturers of these sorts of minds. Something which, if this is the objective, they would've been doing from day one and without need of effort. Nor do I believe them capable of overcoming any substantial impediments.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Has anyone ever met an administrator who forces these things on to institutions who wasn't totally conventional? I'm sure there are a few out there, but their unicorns and very much not the norm.

Which I guess is fitting since the whole job is about enforcing norms.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

The problem with ‘Indigenizing the university’ - Frances Widdowson, Quillette, 24 February 2021
https://quillette.com/2021/02/24/the-pr ... niversity/

I've read both Disrobing the Aboriginal Industry: The Deception Behind Indigenous Cultural Preservation and Separate but Unequal: How Parallelist Ideology Conceals Indigenous Dependency and can recommend both to anyone. In them the author explores the now popular concept of 'Indigenous ways of knowing', a perhaps inevitable product of postmodernism which teaches that all truth is relative. In her latest effort, a collection of essays edited by Widdowson called Indigenizing the University: Diverse Perspectives, the author and other contributors examine this idea as it relates to university education (in particular) and education in general. This piece is a sort of introduction to these trends:

From the article:
.. In 2018, one of the co-directors at my university’s Office of Academic Indigenization invited an Indigenous elder to give a presentation on “Western Medicine vs. Traditional Healing Medicine.” A member of the audience asked the elder what he recommended for the “gut problems” afflicting her child. In response, the elder stated that the parent should “rub corn pollen on his feet and do a sunrise ceremony.” A number of professors in the Faculty of Science and Technology attending the session acknowledged afterwards that this example of “traditional healing medicine” was completely inconsistent with evidence-based scientific medical techniques (as seems obvious, even to those of us who aren’t doctors). But they remained silent at the event, as did everyone else, out of “respect.”

At a meeting of our university’s General Faculties Council, a few months later, it was noted that the biology department’s program requirements would be Indigenized through “working with numerous community Elders and Knowledge Keepers” to ensure “a diverse knowledge base that includes the traditional Indigenous knowledge.” As an MRU earth-sciences professor archly noted, this would mean that the content included would be “exempt from scientific rigor and scrutiny as practiced in science globally.” To remedy this problem, the professor suggested that the reference to Indigenous knowledge be qualified with the words “as subject to systematic observational testing and/or experimental verification.” This modification was rejected. And when I attended an “Empowering Indigenization Symposium” a few months later, an elder said that his “knowledge” included the belief that trees come out of dormancy in the spring because birds sing to them.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

There were hundreds of comments about this on the Quillette forum, of which I contributed a few.

A short time later this appeared:

How a single anonymous Twitter account caused an ‘Indigenized’ Canadian university to unravel - Jonathan Kay, Quillette, 6 March 2021
https://quillette.com/2021/03/06/how-a- ... o-unravel/

In this piece Jonathan Kay shows us 'Indigenization' at work and as it is happening at Brock University, located in Ontario.
In 2018, Brock University approved an Institutional Strategic Plan whose listed “key priorities” included “reconciliation” with Indigenous peoples, and “decolonization” of the institution. Following a lengthy search process, the St. Catharines, Ontario school selected its inaugural hire for the newly created post of Vice-Provost, Indigenous Engagement: Amos Key, a highly accomplished teacher, linguist, and cultural preservationist who advocated passionately for members of nearby Indigenous communities. Unfortunately, for reasons no one at Brock will explain to the public, Key lasted only a year in the job. (In response to my questions, the school’s communications manager would say only that Key “let us know he was leaving Brock University, and we wished him well.” Key didn’t respond to an emailed invitation for comment.)

His replacement, announced with considerable fanfare, was the much younger Robyn Bourgeois, a Women’s and Gender Studies professor from Canada’s west coast who has Cree ancestry but describes herself as mixed race. She self-identifies as an academic “badass,” and describes her specialty as “Indigenous Feminisms.” Bourgeois’s 2014 PhD thesis celebrated Indigenous “Warrior Women,” while critiquing Indigenous women whose political strategies “replicate dominant discourses and strategies and [thereby] secur[e] the colonial Canadian state’s authority.”
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

From the new vice-provost's writings, heavily promoted in Brock University's newspaper:
At Concordia University in Montreal, for instance, a dozen researchers are collaborating on a project called “Decolonizing Light,” whose aim is to “investigate the reproduction of colonialism in and through physics and higher physics education.” Our scientific understanding of light as constituting electromagnetic radiation perceptible to the human eye, these scholars explain, is the historical product of “a white male dominated field [i.e. physics] disconnected from social life and geopolitical history. [Its] narrative both constitutes and reproduces inequality.”

From the 'Decolonizing Light' website:

Decolonizing Light follows complementary approaches: We are engaging Indigenous ontologies and epistemologies for knowledge creation, we are studying colonial anchor points in the history of physics in the context of light, we are studying the views of scientists on colonialism, we’re investigating the discourse on contemporary largescale light experiments, we are training Indigenous and racialized students to do research in synchrotrons, and we are encouraging and training Indigenous and racialized students to follow research questions which are not defined by us but by themselves.

Quite a mission.

I wonder if someone with a good science background can help us understand this.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

And here is Robyn Bourgeois:

The people she grew up with more than 2000 miles away from the nearest Cree reserve are known as the Pink Cree.

Lovely outfit. Suitably Indigenous.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Apollonius wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:55 pm From the new vice-provost's writings, heavily promoted in Brock University's newspaper:
At Concordia University in Montreal, for instance, a dozen researchers are collaborating on a project called “Decolonizing Light,” whose aim is to “investigate the reproduction of colonialism in and through physics and higher physics education.” Our scientific understanding of light as constituting electromagnetic radiation perceptible to the human eye, these scholars explain, is the historical product of “a white male dominated field [i.e. physics] disconnected from social life and geopolitical history. [Its] narrative both constitutes and reproduces inequality.”

Decolonizing Light follows complementary approaches: We are engaging Indigenous ontologies and epistemologies for knowledge creation, we are studying colonial anchor points in the history of physics in the context of light, we are studying the views of scientists on colonialism, we’re investigating the discourse on contemporary largescale light experiments, we are training Indigenous and racialized students to do research in synchrotrons, and we are encouraging and training Indigenous and racialized students to follow research questions which are not defined by us but by themselves.

Quite a mission.

Apollonius, I consulted the greatest mind at the SimpleMindedStan Ministry of Advanced & Sophisticated Knowledge. We, (me, actually) distilled the original 400+ page thesis into this: "Racism is in the eye of the beholder!"

I left out the part about excited photons subjected to micro aggressions, and how unfair it is that different colors have different wavelengths. We'll cover that in the Post-Grad curriculum.

Hope this helps.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Apollonius wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:04 pm And here is Robyn Bourgeois:

The people she grew up with more than 2000 miles away from the nearest Cree reserve are known as the Pink Cree.

Lovely outfit. Suitably Indigenous.
I ain't one for fancy book learning like some here, but, paraphrasing Colonel Sun, "Badass indeed."

I read on the internet that "White People of Color are an even smaller minority than Colored People of Color. Therefore, they deserve "special" treatment and status."

sounds logical.....
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Apollonius wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:55 pm From the new vice-provost's writings, heavily promoted in Brock University's newspaper:

Quite a mission.

Certainly.

It's abject nonsense.

There is no a priori reason that a well-prepared student of indigenous and/or non-white descent cannot do well in contemporary physics.

Offhand, I can think of two mathematicians, one who happens to be indigenous and one who happens to be black, whose work I've used in the past.

Not being white has not held back E Asia*.

However, the historical contribution of indigenous people to the development of physics, notably the experiments and theory of light, is zero.

As Chekov [Anton, not the fictional scifi character] observed:
There is no national science just as there is no national multiplication table; what is national is no longer science.
By extension, there is no colonial/indigenous/racialized science. Nature is indifferent - there is just science.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

*Light. History. China did discover/invent numerous things. However, one key thing that they did not discover was glass.

Glass made possible the the lens and the prism leading to optics and the study of light.
The telescope and the microscope were key tools in the advancement of science.

Key advances in the physics of light were made by Newton, Hooke, Huygens, Poisson, Fresnel, Faraday, Maxwell, Hertz, Planck, Einstein, Dirac, and Feynman, Schwinger, and Tomonaga.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

If the post-modernist critical theorists succeed at destroying Western STEM, we really are doomed. They are winning now.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Academia (including STEM) is overdue for a re-roll. It was killed by careerism and politics. The vultures are just doing the clean-up.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:29 am Academia (including STEM) is overdue for a re-roll. It was killed by careerism and politics. The vultures are just doing the clean-up.
Excellent summation Nonc!
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

I wonder why not after high school (or even during) it is not just businesses who educate people for their future jobs in an apprenticeship format. Businesses can provide educational "loans" as a tax on future income made. You only learn what you really need.

Open ended, generic "Higher Learning" intermediary academia consumes a lot of wasted overhead time and money. They also are a magnet for crazy people with no real skin in the game venturing in identity politics and gender-free bullocks courses, further infantilizing whole generations of which the toxic fruits are more and more visible every day.
Deep down I'm very superficial
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

I can imagine universities squealing like stuck pigs at such a notion. They have way too much power and money to willingly gives up their comfy gigs.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:16 pm I wonder why not after high school (or even during) it is not just businesses who educate people for their future jobs in an apprenticeship format. Businesses can provide educational "loans" as a tax on future income made. You only learn what you really need.

Open ended, generic "Higher Learning" intermediary academia consumes a lot of wasted overhead time and money. They also are a magnet for crazy people with no real skin in the game venturing in identity politics and gender-free bullocks courses, further infantilizing whole generations of which the toxic fruits are more and more visible every day.
Such places do exist. For example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kettering_University

The school where I earned my BSME, Rochester Institute of Technology has a similar program. 9 quarters of academics in the first three years, followed by 4 quarters of academics and 4 quarters of co-op in the next two years. Excellent connections to dozens of businesses in Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse NY.

RIT & GMI were great places for companies to recruit what one interviewer described as "blue collar engineers." Interviewers were often more interested in your hobbies than your academic record.

"Straight A's in Physics, and you can weld, and you've rebuilt motorcycle engines, and you've operated and repaired heavy machinery? Great, I can throw you out on the shop floor on day one as an Engineering Interface!"

It is not at all unusual for local businesses to sponsor local trade schools, usually in the form of donating equipment, money, and the time of technical advisors. Two of my brothers opted out of the last two years of high school for such programs. The school was called WeMoCo as I remember. One learned to weld, the other learned to do autobody repair.

After high school, the WeMoCo grads outpace high school grads, and college students in terms of income for quite a few years.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Georgetown's cultural revolution - Lama Abu Odeh, Quillette, 9 April 2021
https://quillette.com/2021/04/09/george ... evolution/

Sandra Sellers, an adjunct professor at Georgetown University’s Law Center, was forced to resign because she was caught on video saying to her colleague and co-teacher David Batson: “I hate to say this… I ended up having this, you know, angst every semester that a lot of my lower ones are blacks. Happens almost every semester. And it’s like, ‘Oh, come on!’ You know? Got some really good ones but there’s usually some that are just plain at the bottom. It drives me crazy. Of course there are the good ones… but come on…” Batson appeared in the video nodding embarrassedly.

The video was a class recording which is only accessible to students in the class and is password protected. The conversation took place after students had logged out and the professors, unaware that the recording of the class ran for 10 minutes after the end of class time, thought they were having a private conversation. A student (not enrolled in the class) posted the video on Twitter and it instantly got thousands of retweets. In response, the dean acted by first referring the culprit professors to the university’s Equity and Diversity Committee for investigation and then, after the Black Law Student Association of Georgetown (BLSA) issued a statement declaring what was said was racist and demanding that Sellers be fired, he terminated Professor Sellers’s contract. Batson was placed on administrative leave pending an investigation by the Diversity Committee, which will also investigate whether the professors’ alleged bias affected the grades they gave their students. He later resigned. The dean described the conversation between him and Sellers as “abhorrent.”

From the comments:
I think the last last line of this piece will soon need correcting: Lama Abu Odeh is a law professor at Georgetown

See also:

The Georgetown Affair: New levels of progressive reality denial - Francis Menton, Manhattan Contrarian, 13 April 2021
https://www.manhattancontrarian.com/blo ... ity-denial
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:55 pm
The school where I earned my BSME, Rochester Institute of Technology has a similar program.
Sure, for the low, low price of 55 thousand dollars a year [tuition plus everything else], one can go to RIT. :)

One thing RIT has with the price tag is top-tier on the school to intern/job pipeline. Whatever you pay for it, it's like a golden ticket when getting a foot in the door somewhere.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:11 am
Simple Minded wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:55 pm
The school where I earned my BSME, Rochester Institute of Technology has a similar program.
Sure, for the low, low price of 55 thousand dollars a year [tuition plus everything else], one can go to RIT. :)

One thing RIT has with the price tag is top-tier on the school to intern/job pipeline. Whatever you pay for it, it's like a golden ticket when getting a foot in the door somewhere.
Yeah, back in the day, the cost was less than 1/5 of that. Even then a couple times more expense than a SUNY school. Starting on that path (financial risk) was the scariest thing I have even done. Commuting 35 miles one way saved some bucks.

Oddly enough, I don't recall any application forms listing questions about race, gender, ethnicity, etc. Could that be an indicator of culture?

Lots of Federal money has caused education costs to skyrocket in the last 30 years. It was like roadkill drawing in the flies.

Since most of the yutes today have never even thought about getting a job prior to graduating with a degree, the co-op experience at least provides a history of the applicant being able to drive to work, get their on time, while staying sober.

Mommy, Daddy, and Uncle Sam footing the bill for college became incentive traps. Blue collar work is kicking butt in lots of America. Supply and demand.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Apollonius wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:27 am Georgetown's cultural revolution - Lama Abu Odeh, Quillette, 9 April 2021
https://quillette.com/2021/04/09/george ... evolution/

Sandra Sellers, an adjunct professor at Georgetown University’s Law Center, was forced to resign because she was caught on video saying to her colleague and co-teacher David Batson: “I hate to say this… I ended up having this, you know, angst every semester that a lot of my lower ones are blacks. Happens almost every semester. And it’s like, ‘Oh, come on!’ You know? Got some really good ones but there’s usually some that are just plain at the bottom. It drives me crazy. Of course there are the good ones… but come on…” Batson appeared in the video nodding embarrassedly.

The video was a class recording which is only accessible to students in the class and is password protected. The conversation took place after students had logged out and the professors, unaware that the recording of the class ran for 10 minutes after the end of class time, thought they were having a private conversation. A student (not enrolled in the class) posted the video on Twitter and it instantly got thousands of retweets. In response, the dean acted by first referring the culprit professors to the university’s Equity and Diversity Committee for investigation and then, after the Black Law Student Association of Georgetown (BLSA) issued a statement declaring what was said was racist and demanding that Sellers be fired, he terminated Professor Sellers’s contract. Batson was placed on administrative leave pending an investigation by the Diversity Committee, which will also investigate whether the professors’ alleged bias affected the grades they gave their students. He later resigned. The dean described the conversation between him and Sellers as “abhorrent.”

From the comments:
I think the last last line of this piece will soon need correcting: Lama Abu Odeh is a law professor at Georgetown

See also:

The Georgetown Affair: New levels of progressive reality denial - Francis Menton, Manhattan Contrarian, 13 April 2021
https://www.manhattancontrarian.com/blo ... ity-denial
thanks for posting Apollonius. Tis a bizarre universe, that does not apply to 90?+% of America, thankfully, yet.... If only we can confine the contagion to the universities..... As I have often said, the student who are taught be be Lynch mobs will eventually cull the faculty of their mentors.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

WSJ | Why I Stopped Hiring Ivy League Graduates [possibly paywalled]

Even those who aren’t woke seem damaged by the experience, and they’re deprived of role models.

By R.R. Reno
June 7, 2021 5:56 pm ET

I’m not inclined to hire a graduate from one of America’s elite universities. That marks a change. A decade ago I relished the opportunity to employ talented graduates of Princeton, Yale, Harvard and the rest. Today? Not so much.

As a graduate of Haverford College, a fancy school outside Philadelphia, I took interest in the campus uproar there last fall. It concerned “antiblackness” and the “erasure of marginalized voices.” A student strike culminated in an all-college Zoom meeting for undergraduates. The college president and other administrators promised to “listen.” During the meeting, many students displayed a stunning combination of thin-skinned narcissism and naked aggression. The college administrators responded with self-abasing apologies.

Haverford is a progressive hothouse. If students can be traumatized by “insensitivity” on that leafy campus, then they’re unlikely to function as effective team members in an organization that has to deal with everyday realities. And in any event, I don’t want to hire someone who makes inflammatory accusations at the drop of a hat.

Student activists don’t represent the majority of students. But I find myself wondering about the silent acquiescence of most students. They allow themselves to be cowed by charges of racism and other sins. I sympathize. The atmosphere of intimidation in elite higher education is intense. But I don’t want to hire a person well-practiced in remaining silent when it costs something to speak up.

The traditional Islamic world exhibited a modicum of tolerance. Christians and Jews were dhimmi, allowed to exist, but on the condition that they accepted their subordinate role in society. While studying this arrangement, sociologists coined the term “dhimmitude,” which refers to the mentality of those who have internalized their second-class status.

Haverford, like Harvard and other top tier schools, graduates fine young people, no doubt many with well-adjusted personalities and sensible views of the world. But in the past decade, dhimmitude has become widespread. Normal kids at elite universities keep their heads down. Over the course of four years, this can become a subtle but real habit of obeisance, a condition of moral and spiritual surrender.

Some resist. They would seem ideal for my organization, which aims to speak for religious and social conservatives. But even this kind of graduate brings liabilities to the workplace. I’ve met recent Ivy grads with conservative convictions who manifest a form of posttraumatic stress disorder. Others have developed a habit of aggressive counterpunching that is no more appealing in a young employee than the ruthless accusations of the woke.

In recent years, I’ve taken stock of my assumptions about who makes for the best entry-level employee. I have no doubt that Ivy League universities attract smart, talented and ambitious kids. But do these institutions add value? My answer is increasingly negative. Dysfunctional kids are coddled and encouraged to nurture grievances, while normal kids are attacked and educationally abused. Listening to Haverford’s all-college Zoom meeting also made it clear that today’s elite students aren’t going to schools led by courageous adults. Deprived of good role models, they’re less likely to mature into good leaders themselves.

My rule of thumb is to hire from institutions I advise young people to attend. Hillsdale College is at the top of that list, as are quirky small Catholic colleges such as Thomas Aquinas College, Wyoming Catholic College and the University of Dallas. In my experience, graduates from these sorts of places are well-educated. But more important, they’ve been supported and encouraged by their institutions, and they haven’t been deformed by the toxic political correctness that leaders of elite universities have allowed to become dominant.

Large state universities and their satellite schools are also good sources. In my experience, top-performing students at Rutgers are as talented but less self-important than Ivy Leaguers. They’re more likely to accept the authority of those more experienced. This allows for better mentoring, which in turn produces better results over time.

The biggest liability that comes with hiring graduates from places like Haverford and Harvard is that they have been socialized to panic over pseudocrises. Talk of systemic racism and fixation on pronouns inculcate in young people an apocalyptic urgency, a mentality that often disrupts the workplace and encourages navel-gazing about “diversity,” “inclusion” and other ill-defined notions that are far removed from the main work of my organization, which is good writing, good editing and good arguments.

A few years ago a student at an Ivy League school told me, “The first things you learn your freshman year is never to say what you are thinking.” The institution he attended claims to train the world’s future leaders. From what that young man reports, the opposite is true. The school is training future self-censors, which means future followers.

Mr. Reno is editor of First Things.