Generation Millenial

Typhoon

Generation Millenial

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Re: Generation Millenial

Post by noddy »

imagine if a society changed from free education to debt based education, tripled the costs of living with gentrifications and tax/service cost increases, all at the same time as it changed from being a product export economy to an internal services economy, which requires local spending power to keep afloat.

you cant have a local spending economy if all your money is tied up in debt, so the only tool the braindead ones have is to make debt cheaper and easier to acquire.

I wonder what would happen to the generation that copped that good and hard.

To a certain extent Ive resigned myself to the fact that millenials and onward are going to be full blown communists, they dont really have any choice.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:imagine if a society changed from free education to debt based education, tripled the costs of living with gentrifications and tax/service cost increases, all at the same time as it changed from being a product export economy to an internal services economy, which requires local spending power to keep afloat.

you cant have a local spending economy if all your money is tied up in debt, so the only tool the braindead ones have is to make debt cheaper and easier to acquire.

To a certain extent Ive resigned myself to the fact that millenials and onward are going to be full blown communists, they dont really have any choice.
I think you might be right. As always, I enjoy your perspectives and insights. The best part of the internet is getting exposed to different viewpoints.

Then, as some in the older generations might think "WTH? Why are these kids always complaining? They're richer at age 16 then I was at 30!!!"

But that is the fun part of getting old, the past was always a better country, the yutes are always weak, lazy, and spoiled.

That said, there truly are some parts of the world that have been well f**ked by the previous two or three generations. I'm still blaming parents!

"in the long run we're all dead!" is the excuse for doing anything you want in the short term. It is only in the short term where "We're all a bunch of me's!" that the pain exists. Can't blame people with limited lifespans for not getting on board and supporting the big picture.
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote:imagine if a society changed from free education to debt based education, tripled the costs of living with gentrifications and tax/service cost increases, all at the same time as it changed from being a product export economy to an internal services economy, which requires local spending power to keep afloat.

There is a lot of talk about the next generation being very different from the millennials.

The thought has occurred to me that college has become a pyramid scheme, and people are waking up to that.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Post by noddy »

their was some talk about the younger generations being more conservative but from what I gathered it was in the healthy lifestyle, sensible choices aspects of no drugs and junk food.

it was nothing todo with american right wing god and capitalism type stuff, all the feedback Ive got from them is they think its sensible to have government in control of everything.

the word conservative doesnt travel very well over countries or even generations, we all try and preserve what we got taught was important in our childhoods, or we react against it, either way, the meaning of the words is very time and place specific.

personally i dont trust sensible kids, its not natural, sounds like oppresive parenting to me, those suckers are going to explode if/when they ever get to make their own choices, it will be the 50's changing to the 60's all over again.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Then, as some in the older generations might think "WTH? Why are these kids always complaining? They're richer at age 16 then I was at 30!!!"
richer in bigger numbers and cheap consumables, poorer in stable work and housing pressure, I know which id prefer.
Simple Minded wrote:
"in the long run we're all dead!" is the excuse for doing anything you want in the short term. It is only in the short term where "We're all a bunch of me's!" that the pain exists. Can't blame people with limited lifespans for not getting on board and supporting the big picture.
well, im not dying for some other buggers big picture :) I dont suspect many will be.

still, the basic problem of shifting to a service society whislt ladening everyone up with debt remains, and this extends beyond millenials.

https://www.abc.net.au/7.30/more-austra ... t/10960836
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:their was some talk about the younger generations being more conservative but from what I gathered it was in the healthy lifestyle, sensible choices aspects of no drugs and junk food.

it was nothing todo with american right wing god and capitalism type stuff, all the feedback Ive got from them is they think its sensible to have government in control of everything.

the word conservative doesnt travel very well over countries or even generations, we all try and preserve what we got taught was important in our childhoods, or we react against it, either way, the meaning of the words is very time and place specific.

personally i dont trust sensible kids, its not natural, sounds like oppresive parenting to me, those suckers are going to explode if/when they ever get to make their own choices, it will be the 50's changing to the 60's all over again.
Well said. But over here, as always, "We Merkins" are a big undefinable, yugely diverse mass, Despite what the MSM talking heads or internet posters would have one believe.

Don't like the current culture or zeitgeist? Move a hundred or two hundred miles. Or get on the internet and blog about how your experience is "common." If I frequented social media, I would probably be more in tune to the later, but I'm ignorant of most hipster's opinions.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote: Then, as some in the older generations might think "WTH? Why are these kids always complaining? They're richer at age 16 then I was at 30!!!"
richer in bigger numbers and cheap consumables, poorer in stable work and housing pressure, I know which id prefer.
Simple Minded wrote:
well, im not dying for some other buggers big picture :) I dont suspect many will be.

still, the basic problem of shifting to a service society whislt ladening everyone up with debt remains, and this extends beyond millenials.

https://www.abc.net.au/7.30/more-austra ... t/10960836
true enough. but for many, but not all, there are personal choices involved. only can be dealt with on a case by case basis. Many got sucked in by the siren song of "cheap money makes expensive things less expensive." chicken and egg aspect of meeting public demands. Education replacing housing as a status symbol is a good example. Back when banks wanted 30-40% down to buy a house, instead of 0-5% down, surprise, surprise, houses were cheaper.

I'm old enough to remember when debt was considered bad, cause those who lived thru the Great Depression programmed my BIOS when I was a yute. In the late 80's, my BIOS was deemed obsolete, and only fools avoided debt. Now, more than a few of the yutes understand the evolution of the old ways.

Then there is the changing of expectations and timeframes. I can remember when desiring a bit of information, or buying a specific item, one might expect to spend several hours or days to find it. Now, if you can't get what you want in 5 minutes or less from Google or Amazon, life sucks.
noddy

Post by noddy »

I was raised with all the debt aversion, slow savings, delayed purchase mindset but it means nothing in any of the places in australia which have work.

if society has expensive houses and thats all available and cheap houses are declared substandard and dont get licensed, then you either buy the overpriced debt monster or you live on the street

personal choices arent really relevant in modern suburbia, its the rules of the local councils and the attitudes of the society around you.. what will banks lend for, what is legal.

sure, I could probably live like a hermit in the middle of nowhere and avoid most of that but this is hardly a sensible discussion about the outcomes for millions of folks right now.

for some reason, western society decided to make itself irrelevant, the personal choices of individuals only really show up in the aggregate and that aggregation decided to eat the young.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:I was raised with all the debt aversion, slow savings, delayed purchase mindset but it means nothing in any of the places in australia which have work.

if society has expensive houses and thats all available and cheap houses are declared substandard and dont get licensed, then you either buy the overpriced debt monster or you live on the street

personal choices arent really relevant in modern suburbia, its the rules of the local councils and the attitudes of the society around you.. what will banks lend for, what is legal.

sure, I could probably live like a hermit in the middle of nowhere and avoid most of that but this is hardly a sensible discussion about the outcomes for millions of folks right now.

for some reason, western society decided to make itself irrelevant, the personal choices of individuals only really show up in the aggregate and that aggregation decided to eat the young.

You and I were definitely raised on similar planets. Sorry to hear that Straya is so much more woke than most of Merka. Makes me appreciate our diversity and unruliness even more.

20-30 years I ago I remarked to my wife that lots of parents were eating their young. For now it remains a largely local phenomena, hence my aversion to one size fits all solutions. I suspect that many of those grown children will return the favor when they are in their 30-50's and the parents are in their 70-90's.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Sorry to hear that Straya is so much more woke than most of Merka. Makes me appreciate our diversity and unruliness even more.
plenty of places in australia that arent full progresive middle class utopias but the main cities with work are certainly like that - we only have 5 big cities and of those only 3 have reasonable amounts of employment.

if you are a bit older and in the retired/semi retired phase of life, its easy but all of that good living comes self funded and you cant just rock up unemployed and broke, those towns dont tend to have much work beyond minimum wage retail.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: plenty of places in australia that arent full progresive middle class utopias but the main cities with work are certainly like that - we only have 5 big cities and of those only 3 have reasonable amounts of employment.

if you are a bit older and in the retired/semi retired phase of life, its easy but all of that good living comes self funded and you cant just rock up unemployed and broke, those towns dont tend to have much work beyond minimum wage retail.
I expect the cycles will continue. But since they tend to last a couple decades, and humans only live several decades, it sucks to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. After enough young get eaten, the pendulum will swing back.

As the authors of Generations noted: "Each generation tends to overcorrect the excesses of the previous generation."

Many in the west still remember the post WWII boom, when much of the manufacturing base was still in ruin, and China, India, and the Far East were just places on the globe. No doubt, Straya being in close proximity to India and China magnify the effects of the competition.

It's possible that exceptions are changed forever due to technology. I found the hub from a wooden wagon wheel in a creek on my property that was probably at least 150 years old and maybe 200+ years old. Being under water was probably the only reason it did not rot away completely. Incredible craftsmanship, 14 spokes, 4 metal bands, dovetail fits with zero clearance..... it must have taken 100's of hours to fabricate. The tapered bearing surface on the wooden axle was polished to a mirror finish!

Life was simpler back then out of necessity. Not many Log Cabin McMansions were built even the trees were right there, but in the wrong configuration. Working 12 hours a day to survive the 12 hours you are not working isn't very romantic when practiced.

Not hard to imagine VR being the final frontier/escape destination.
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh well, they werent trained to hunt wolves with stone weapons and live on a diet of grasshoppers so its going to be a hard transition no doubt :)

silly buggers where taught by charlatan scammers that if they took on the middle class education debt they would get middle class lifestyles, ahhahaha suckers.

now we await the consequences of this - funnily enough their are many theories that most of the terrorist leaders are kids who got the middle class education and then didnt get the lifestyle, got all bitter and twisted about it.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:yeh well, they werent trained to hunt wolves with stone weapons and live on a diet of grasshoppers so its going to be a hard transition no doubt :)
My point exactly. the good ole days were only good to those who lived thru them. successive generations wouldn't step into the Wayback machine, they'd just whine how things ain't as good as they used to be. I don't know any millennials that would want to experience the first 25 years of my life (same for me and my parents/grandparents/great-grand parents), but for some reason, they think I had it better then, than they do now. maybe they need to stop listening to their elders when the elders say "when I was yer age, we........."

Maybe when you grow up without electricity and paved roads, there is a lot more room for improvement (so average schmucks improve their livers), than simply faster processing speeds and more bandwidth.
noddy wrote: silly buggers where taught by charlatan scammers that if they took on the middle class education debt they would get middle class lifestyles, ahhahaha suckers.
for this, I blame their parents. Luckily, many of their parents also took on debt so the little darlings could get status education. the vanity aspect of popularity/status doesn't pay well for most humans. Snake oil salesmen have lots of products.
noddy wrote: we await the consequences of this - funnily enough their are many theories that most of the terrorist leaders are kids who got the middle class education and then didnt get the lifestyle, got all bitter and twisted about it.
yep. revolutionaries are more often than not, the disgruntled children of the wealthy.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

here you go noddy, this ought to make you feel better:
Attachments
ny&ca.jpg
ny&ca.jpg (84.56 KiB) Viewed 287 times
noddy

Post by noddy »

seems to me thats just reinforccing the argument i was trying to make about the world millenials ended up in :)
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:seems to me thats just reinforccing the argument i was trying to make about the world millenials ended up in :)
Maybe so. but staying in NY or CA is a lot like staying in an abusive relationship, after the first of second beating, people start feeling less sorry for you and start wondering why you don't leave. ;)
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/06/bernie ... -disgrace/

minimum wage worker cannot afford 2-bedroom apartment in any US state
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:https://www.rawstory.com/2019/06/bernie ... -disgrace/

minimum wage worker cannot afford 2-bedroom apartment in any US state
https://memes.yarn.co/yarn-clip/63c1f28 ... 966a0c2f10

pretty sure, well, actually, only kinda sure that's why the online sex worker industry was created.......
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

WHOA NELLY!

I got it. I am fooking brilliant.

the solution to the problem of parents eating their young is for the young to eat themselves.

After Fred eats both his left and right arms (like a muskrat caught in two legs traps), he can qualify for disability payments.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

genius :)
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:genius :)
that's how lazy parents are today. They don't even want to eat their young, so they teach the young to eat themselves. Here we need more automation. how long would it take you to program a Millenial Snowflake Shredder?

50 years from now:

Little Billy: Grampa, tell me the story of how you lost both your arms in the Great Social Justice World War of 2019-2027 again.

Grampa: Well Billy, it was bad, really bad. The capitalists had us surrounded. Supreme Leader Bernie said "This is disgracefull!" over and over again. Then fell dead from a heart attack or stroke. Even the Obamacare gods could not revive him. Personally, I thought he looked like he died a long time ago. So the seven star general AOC was in command. She screamed "We will never surrender! You all know what to do! I regret that I have only two arms to give for my ideals!" So we started chewing......
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

Hey, even when I was a kid, a minimum wage worker had no business aspiring to a whole two bed flat on their own dime. You either got a roomie, a bedmate, or lived with family if you were stuck at entry level. I don't think that has changed appreciably in one generation. Maybe it's gotten a bit more difficult, but the example to me is laughable hyperbole.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

crashtech66 wrote:Hey, even when I was a kid, a minimum wage worker had no business aspiring to a whole two bed flat on their own dime. You either got a roomie, a bedmate, or lived with family if you were stuck at entry level. I don't think that has changed appreciably in one generation. Maybe it's gotten a bit more difficult, but the example to me is laughable hyperbole.
yep. Look at the source, and look at the intended audience. A professional economic dimwit leading those who are willfully economically dimwitted.

Worst of all, people rented for years to get the 40% down payment banks required to underwrite a mortgage. Which forced them to buy smaller, cheaper houses, with less amenities. Tough times, but deemed necessary at the time for stability. Now that you can buy a house with zero or 5% down, everything has been solved. :roll:

Cute article blow. Not the fault of contemporary legislators seeking votes and attempting to appeal the masses (cause they are the ones we are groveling to now, in hopes of them becoming our saviors), but the fault of previous generations. Opinions reveal prejudices.

when are parents going to stop eating their children!!! never trust anyone over 30!!! :evil:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ca/592336/