Apollonius

Madonna's Feeling Raped Again

Post by Apollonius »

Madonna's feeling raped again - Jim Goad, Taki's Magazine, 10 June 2019
https://www.takimag.com/article/madonna ... ped-again/
noddy

Re: Madonna's Feeling Raped Again

Post by noddy »

its always a tad ironic when folks who made careers off being young and cute complain about the industry only rewarding the young and cute.

doubly so when the metric for that statement is the youth pop music market - they are blaiming the 15 year old girls for not wanting grandma music.

*shocked face*

actual musicians, who have skill, play the various live circuits just fine until they die - this works for roots music, jazz and many flavours of classical but I suspect maddy doesnt notice all that.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Do feel pity for Madonna in this singular case. That female reporter did go out of her way to demean her in a way pop stars of yesteryear aren't treated in pr/fluff pieces.

No one writes pr articles about Paul McCartney's "new albums" by focusing on his hair plugs and fake teeth and how his voice has been shot for the last decade to the point where he's often auto-tuning it both in the studio and live; or that all his new songs are cynically nostalgic odes about his old songs..

The comparison is apt in this regard: the lady does have somewhere close to 50 pop and dance chart hits; and her name is on the credits (by hook or crook). And she wasn't being targeted because they lacked quality [and are increasingly forgotten].

It may be a classic case of treat people right on the way up because they're going to be waiting on the way down. And she is down to the point where she can no longer dictates her marketing and all the official-anyones can take snipes with zero gatekeepers motivated to quash the over-eager in their quest to take people down a peg or two.

=========

As for Madonna's hyperbolic feelings about it. Meh. Who listens to Madonna?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Madonna still looks better than a lot of women my age. Money well spent. I'd do her. If I wasn't happily married already.....

Probably most guys in their 60's, 70's or 80's would.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Do feel pity for Madonna in this singular case. That female reporter did go out of her way to demean her in a way pop stars of yesteryear aren't treated in pr/fluff pieces.

No one writes pr articles about Paul McCartney's "new albums" by focusing on his hair plugs and fake teeth and how his voice has been shot for the last decade to the point where he's often auto-tuning it both in the studio and live; or that all his new songs are cynically nostalgic odes about his old songs..

The comparison is apt in this regard: the lady does have somewhere close to 50 pop and dance chart hits; and her name is on the credits (by hook or crook). And she wasn't being targeted because they lacked quality [and are increasingly forgotten].

It may be a classic case of treat people right on the way up because they're going to be waiting on the way down. And she is down to the point where she can no longer dictates her marketing and all the official-anyones can take snipes with zero gatekeepers motivated to quash the over-eager in their quest to take people down a peg or two.
There goes the sisterhood.

The asymmetric treatment of aging male and female entertainers is a bit unfair, buy I doubt that it will change in the foreseeable future.
7p2va36oqta11.jpg
7p2va36oqta11.jpg (109.59 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
“Alright Mr. Demille, I’m ready for my closeup."
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Colonel Sun wrote: The asymmetric treatment of aging male and female entertainers is a bit unfair, buy I doubt that it will change in the foreseeable future.
I would contrarily argue the opposite for now :)

no doubts, you dont need to go back very far to see the middle aged men and the cute young women as the norm of most TV and Movies but Id argue most of the male performers are now young and cute and also have short lifespans once they become fat and middle aged. Most women will not support a movie that doesnt give them as much eye candy as the men get.

only the truly charismatic or talented makes it past the young and cute stage now, for both sexes.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

There is a certainly a counter argument about how little the dynamic has changed in movies and entertainment.

But I don't think this quite fits the Madonna situation [though the sisterhood aspect certainly may].

The lady isn't being tossed aside for the younger model- if anything, that happened two decades ago. She just naturally aged out of the market (or really, out of context), one she dominated for three decades. In other words, she had the full career success arc of all the big time pop acts, male and female, in their time in the zeitgeist.

=======================

The whole thing is that it's all access-journalism now. From entertainment to politics- ass kissing from top to bottom.
noddy

Post by noddy »

madonna kind of asks for it - her schtick is youthness, she maintains the mutton dressed as lamb thing to a comical extent, to this day, almost the poster child for aging disgracefully.

granted im obnoxious , but id want to ask her questions around that, just to press buttons.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:madonna kind of asks for it - her schtick is youthness, she maintains the mutton dressed as lamb thing to a comical extent, to this day, almost the poster child for aging disgracefully.

granted im obnoxious , but id want to ask her questions around that, just to press buttons.

Same thing Camile Paglia said about Madonna. Always sad to see aging starlets go the full Joan Rivers route.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:
Colonel Sun wrote: The asymmetric treatment of aging male and female entertainers is a bit unfair, buy I doubt that it will change in the foreseeable future.
I would contrarily argue the opposite for now :)

no doubts, you dont need to go back very far to see the middle aged men and the cute young women as the norm of most TV and Movies but Id argue most of the male performers are now young and cute and also have short lifespans once they become fat and middle aged. Most women will not support a movie that doesnt give them as much eye candy as the men get.

only the truly charismatic or talented makes it past the young and cute stage now, for both sexes.
Perhaps, but then I don't watch enough contemporary Western films to agree or disagree.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:madonna kind of asks for it - her schtick is youthness, she maintains the mutton dressed as lamb thing to a comical extent, to this day, almost the poster child for aging disgracefully.

Same thing Camile Paglia said about Madonna. Always sad to see aging starlets go the full Joan Rivers route.
I wonder how much of it is unconscious.
Must be quite a letdown for women such as her to go from being at the top of pop stardom, knowing that there are millions of men lusting after her, to abject indifference.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote:
I wonder how much of it is unconscious.
Must be quite a letdown for women such as her to go from being at the top of pop stardom, knowing that there are millions of men lusting after her, to abject indifference.
I would suspect that about 70% of celebrity nut job behavior is subconscious. For years you are world famous and the talk of the industry, then later, you are forgotten. Must be like a loss of gravity occurrence. Same for sports stars, movie stars, politicians, etc.

Madonna must not read OTNOT, or maybe my post where I said "I'd do her" wasn't very comforting.
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

It all has to do with our primate proclivities. Old women can't breed, while most old men still can. It's just that simple (or ugly, if you wish). I don't necessarily like it, but then again I don't often like the weather, either.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:00 am madonna kind of asks for it - her schtick is youthness, she maintains the mutton dressed as lamb thing to a comical extent, to this day, almost the poster child for aging disgracefully.
Very true, and it's all part of the long term con that won't go away until she passes.
I'd rather no questions were asked, personally. :D

The most fascinating thing to talk about with about older Madonna, for me, would be her failed aspirations to be bigger than a pop star and why she could never quite grab the brass ring. Most of it was clearly a pathological need to be in front of a camera but some of it had to be self-sabotage, too.

=========

Todd in Shadows discussed one of her albums in his Trainwrecklords series:

dCMNzdm_RKo
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:23 am
The most fascinating thing to talk about with about older Madonna, for me, would be her failed aspirations to be bigger than a pop star and why she could never quite grab the brass ring. Most of it was clearly a pathological need to be in front of a camera but some of it had to be self-sabotage, too.
Yeh, Its that snake eating its own tail thing, the fact she tried to stay pop relevant and youth orientated for so long.

Others, with equal needs to be in the limelight, can just slip on into middle age and nostalgic world tours, doing vegas impersations of themselves.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:06 am

Others, with equal needs to be in the limelight, can just slip on into middle age and nostalgic world tours, doing vegas impersations of themselves.
Excellent idea! I might try that as my retirement plan. Tough part will be to get most of my yuge loyal following to stop viewing me as an advent guard god like oracle of all things worth posting about.

I'd like to shake off about 60-80% of the clinging little leeches, but keep just enough to make a few grand a month. How not to be worshipped as a god is tougher for some of us than others.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:27 am
noddy wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:06 am

Excellent idea! I might try that as my retirement plan. Tough part will be to get most of my yuge loyal following to stop viewing me as an advent guard god like oracle of all things worth posting about.

I'd like to shake off about 60-80% of the clinging little leeches, but keep just enough to make a few grand a month. How not to be worshipped as a god is tougher for some of us than others.
my puppies are pretty pleased to see me but the buggers arent earning enough to keep me in the lifestyle I wish to become acustomed.
ultracrepidarian
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Clown World: Canadian Cancer Society Claims Men Without Cervices* Can Get Cervical Cancer

A new ad campaign to fight cervical cancer is dominated by a transgender person who is a biological male and has no cervix. Look at the absurdity of the ad under the caption "Transwomen and Cervical Cancer Screening".
https://pjmedia.com/trending/clown-worl ... al-cancer/

* the alternate and far cooler way of spelling 'cervixes'.....'>......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Somebody needs to punch him in the prostate.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila