Chinese influence scandal in Australia

Doc

Chinese influence scandal in Australia

Post by Doc »

Qirg0-diRDY
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Re: Chinese influence scandal in Australia

Post by noddy »

its not a scandal if its how the system works.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy ... 0b49f04341
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Speaking of Political Speak.

Austalias stance on China putting millions of folk in prison camps is a work of wonder.
“China is an important partner as well but we both acknowledge there are important differences including our different political systems,” he will tell a strategic forum in Sydney on Monday.

“We are best served by being clear and consistent in the policy positions we take in accordance with our values and national interest.

“We may disagree at times with China on human rights, foreign investment and other matters but by being clear and consistent our differences need not undermine this important relationship.”
How does the old sayin go - anything before the "BUT" is lies.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

9MToeOwrWlQ
noddy

Post by noddy »

fluff piece, nothing will happen, nothing can happen.

we are 30 million immigrants in the middle of asia, Europe doesnt give a lavender, America doesnt give a lavender (*) and China is flexing regional muscle.

They own most of our ports, most of our farms and many of our mines, also large amount of urban real estate and much of the government debt.

Their is literally nothing that can, or will change.

(*) giving a lavender defined as risking all in war against China.
ultracrepidarian
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

noddy wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:10 am ...America doesnt give a lavender (*)...
You seem pretty convinced of this, and I can't say you are wrong, but then again, there are powerful interests in the US that are always itching for a fight; it's really good for certain kinds of business. Not only that, but I think Americans are more fond of Aussies then the other way around (I can't substantiate that, can't find the article). I personally think Americans would find China attacking Australia to be unthinkable and infuriating, enough for public support for some kind of intervention that wouldn't be too hard to fan into support for all-out war.
noddy

Post by noddy »

crashtech66 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:55 pm
You seem pretty convinced of this, and I can't say you are wrong, but then again, there are powerful interests in the US that are always itching for a fight; it's really good for certain kinds of business. Not only that, but I think Americans are more fond of Aussies then the other way around (I can't substantiate that, can't find the article). I personally think Americans would find China attacking Australia to be unthinkable and infuriating, enough for public support for some kind of intervention that wouldn't be too hard to fan into support for all-out war.
as people we all do like each other, I never doubt that and any of Anti American rhetoric in Australia tends to come from those self loathing lefty types who hate Australia aswell, My statements are not on those levels and arent personal feelings.

this is pure practical politics and has played out over the last decade of Chinas aggresive claims of the region, I dont think anyone believes America has the will to maintain its historical place as policemen in the area because its already happened - the region is now Chinese administered.

all of the traditional allies for the west and ameica in our region are shifting or shifted..

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/09/artic ... -to-china/
https://thediplomat.com/2018/04/is-the- ... n-trouble/

The wests neglect, and Chinas courtship of, Africa and other key southern hemisphere locations is well documented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_and_Road_Initiative

Opponents to the project Australia, Japan, India and the US ‘Indo-Pacific Vision’

India, Japan and Aus is almost BRIC levels of unable to do much but talk.

I cant find the list of Pacific Ocean, Indian Ocean and European ports that China now owns or administers but its over 40 long and includes many ex-American allies.

NATO is currently shifting from America to Germany, and all this is a stated election goal of Trump, to roll back Americas responsibilities around the world for people who arent prepared to pay for it - the opposite of China's stated goal of bribing their way into as many places as they can.
ultracrepidarian
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

noddy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:40 amas people we all do like each other, I never doubt that and any of Anti American rhetoric in Australia tends to come from those self loathing lefty types who hate Australia aswell, My statements are not on those levels and arent personal feelings.

this is pure practical politics and has played out over the last decade of Chinas aggresive claims of the region, I dont think anyone believes America has the will to maintain its historical place as policemen in the area because its already happened - the region is now Chinese administered.

all of the traditional allies for the west and ameica in our region are shifting or shifted..

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/09/artic ... -to-china/
https://thediplomat.com/2018/04/is-the- ... n-trouble/

The wests neglect, and Chinas courtship of, Africa and other key southern hemisphere locations is well documented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_and_Road_Initiative

Opponents to the project Australia, Japan, India and the US ‘Indo-Pacific Vision’

India, Japan and Aus is almost BRIC levels of unable to do much but talk.

I cant find the list of Pacific Ocean, Indian Ocean and European ports that China now owns or administers but its over 40 long and includes many ex-American allies.

NATO is currently shifting from America to Germany, and all this is a stated election goal of Trump, to roll back Americas responsibilities around the world for people who arent prepared to pay for it - the opposite of China's stated goal of bribing their way into as many places as they can.
Yours points are well taken and well documented, though regarding the last bit, I had read that part of the reason for the US wanting the EU to take on a bigger role in NATO is so more resources will be available for the Pacific:

https://www.ft.com/content/1f3dab26-346 ... 2a211d90d5

I am hanging onto that for now instead of adopting too much of your pessimism; it's dreadful to contemplate the worldview you present.
noddy

Post by noddy »

crashtech66 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:36 pm
https://www.ft.com/content/1f3dab26-346 ... 2a211d90d5

I am hanging onto that for now instead of adopting too much of your pessimism; it's dreadful to contemplate the worldview you present.
the FT article was locked to me but I assume its on the point summarised in the wiki as
Even the self-absorbed, thrifty ‘America first’ policy makers in the White House eventually realized they couldn’t ignore these fateful geo-economic developments. In November 2018, vice-president Mike Pence travelled to Asia to promote President Trump’s ‘Indo-Pacific Vision’, an ambitious plan backed by tens of billions of dollars in new loans and credit-enhancement mechanisms to encourage “private investment in regional infrastructure assets”, insisting that “business, not bureaucrats will facilitate our efforts”.
which as you say, is an optimistic change, my pessimsism being that this is very recent, the ink hasnt dried and its starting 10 years late with 90% of the territory already partially or completely lost.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Kowtow, as you naturally should, to receive the CCP decree on correct thinking regarding the COVID0-19 and other events or be prepared to be punished accordingly.

Aussie Financial Review | China attacks PM's handling of virus, bushfires
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

“This is an all-out crusade against China and Chinese culture, led by Australia.”

Global Times editor Hu Xijin also reportedly shared a post on Chinese social media platform Weibo comparing Australia to chewing gum.

“After the epidemic, we need to have more risk awareness when doing business with Australia and also when we send our children to study there,” he wrote.

“Australia is always there, making trouble. It is a bit like chewing gum stuck on the sole of China’s shoes. Sometimes you have to find a stone to rub it off.”
https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavir ... 14422b970b
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

China is building a Naval base in the Solomon Islands, as I suspected a while back.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... 4fc7f8f38f

Some idiots are calling for an Invasion, but anyone with half a functioning brain would know its our fault for neglecting the region for so long.

If we hadnt of let it rot, their would be no space for China to offer aid and support, but we did.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

crashtech66 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:55 pm
Not anymore
Censorship isn't necessary
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Former Australian ambassador John Lander : The fiction of the China ‘threat’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7khk4OXX2qM

7khk4OXX2qM

noddy

Post by noddy »

China is not a threat like Russia - they arent as stupid as Putin as to ruin all their contacts with a crude millitary campaign.

they are a threat on other levels - like America they will exploit any leverage they have over you commercially to demand political changes.

unlike the Americans, their is less cultural linkage about whats fair and whats not fair on those levels - Asian culture is far more precious about maintaining the dignity of its durian officials than Western culture is.
ultracrepidarian