Mainstream and social media matters

Typhoon

Re: Mainstream and social media matters

Post by Typhoon »

Enki wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:29 pm
A Truth Reckoning: Why We’re Holding Those Who Lied For Trump Accountable

So what’s the parallel in the dark arts of communication? Simple: Don’t let the chronic liars cash in on their dishonesty. Press secretaries like Joe Lockhart, Ari Fleischer and Jay Carney, who left the White House with their reputations in various stages of intact, made millions taking their skills — and credibility — to corporate America. Trump’s liars don’t merit that same golden parachute. Let it be known to the business world: Hire any of Trump’s fellow fabulists above, and Forbes will assume that everything your company or firm talks about is a lie. We’re going to scrutinize, double-check, investigate with the same skepticism we’d approach a Trump tweet. Want to ensure the world’s biggest business media brand approaches you as a potential funnel of disinformation? Then hire away.
Why Forbes won't respect any PR firm that hires from the Trump administration.
Very Turd World, pardon me, Third World.

Reminds one of the following bit of humour.

Q: What happens when a Third World nation produces not just one, but two Ph.D.s?

A: One becomes ruler-for-life while that other languishes either in jail or in exile.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:48 am

So what’s the parallel in the dark arts of communication? Simple: Don’t let the chronic liars cash in on their dishonesty. Press secretaries like Joe Lockhart, Ari Fleischer and Jay Carney, who left the White House with their reputations in various stages of intact, made millions taking their skills — and credibility — to corporate America. Trump’s liars don’t merit that same golden parachute. Let it be known to the business world: Hire any of Trump’s fellow fabulists above, and Forbes will assume that everything your company or firm talks about is a lie. We’re going to scrutinize, double-check, investigate with the same skepticism we’d approach a Trump tweet. Want to ensure the world’s biggest business media brand approaches you as a potential funnel of disinformation? Then hire away.

Q: What happens when a Third World nation produces not just one, but two Ph.D.s?

A: One becomes ruler-for-life while that other languishes either in jail or in exile.
Current top trend in Twitter:

#RemoveTheTraitors
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Enki

Post by Enki »

Business standards are high in the Third World,
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Enki wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:23 am

Business standards are high in the Third World,
Indeed. The connections required and the bribes demanded are both substantial.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Enki

Post by Enki »

The social media giants don't want to police the internet really. They are just avoiding liability. Many of these guys got into it with the decentralized ethos.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/01/15/twitt ... c=ECFB2021
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
noddy

Post by noddy »

Enki wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:50 am The social media giants don't want to police the internet really. They are just avoiding liability. Many of these guys got into it with the decentralized ethos.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/01/15/twitt ... c=ECFB2021
their was some truth to that previously, maybe, i think they might be feeling more powerful of late and that changes perspective.

still, we have been here before - the east india company got bigger than the english government for a while, money and shipping lanes.

governments are either going to seize control or become irrelevant, all tendancies towards each country getting its own internet and then only approved things crossing those borders are being accelerated right now.

no genuflecting way in hell any other prime minister/president will allow themselves de-platformed like trump was, no way in genuflecting hell the lame whines of free speech we used to support chinese or arab terrorists/seperatists mean a fart in the wind.

does anyone care who the trumpsters are or the chadsters are when it comes to egypt, hongkong, syria - nope, they dont , it was all meaningless and utterly pointless posturing from irrelvant people.

this is a one off event that will not be happening in a western country again - my prime minister already wanted to take the encrypted servers off google and apple, thats going to happen pronto now.

google and apple will not be choosing whats published anymore, or, government will become powerless. the game is on.
ultracrepidarian
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy

There are some really hard information management problems with a decentralized system. But people with resources and platforms are going for the original dream of the internet.

A friend of mine is working on this BTW.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy

As for deplatforming. The White House platform hasn't been touched.

Just Trump’s personal account.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy

I don't buy the deplatforming narrative at all. Milo Yiannapolous got deplatformed. Claims it ended his career. But the reality is, he was a twat who no one really liked, didn't have a loyal fan base and his revenue dried up. Are we supposed to believe that being uninvited to speak at Berkeley ruined him? Of course not. He was there being paid to speak, and was banking on the leftist cancel culture to propel him to right wing fame and fortune.

Narcissism burns bright and fast. Trump is going to milk his grievance politics forever. He'll be that pathetic old man surrounded by sycophants who tell him how unfair it all was while changing his diapers.

All I see is people being sad that an oligarch con man actually crossed a line and faced consequences. People Trump would step over without looking at spend hours defending him.

Funny bit about this is back on the Spangler Forum, they used to hate moral relativism. Now the right can't get enough. With insipid comments about the grievance culture of minorities while whining about his unfair this world is to white men. Quite comical really.

If Parler doesn't come back it will be because their team was incompetent, not because of Amazon.

They tried to start a Civil War, and lost. The reprisals are about as gentle as they have ever been in human history.

Trump came at the King and missed.
-Alexander Hamilton
noddy

Post by noddy »

you misread me, couldnt give a lavender about trump, i find the power games around it interesting.

always thought he was comically incapable of building the coalition required to enact 1/4 of his claims, he burns connections, he doesnt build them.

whats not interesting is the semantic games about deplatforming - my techie left wing friends have been earnestly mansplaining how private globalist companies are allowed to choose their customers and set their own standards and my right wing friends have been babbling about free speech in public spaces and how social media is the new city square.

this leaves all semantic distinctions, gibberish and horeshit from all parties concerned... they are all taking the exact opposite positions they used to take just because of opinions about trump.

I do think deplatforming is the correct word - if these platforms arent relevant and arent powerful, he wouldnt have needed to be removed from them.

still, all of this isnt what I was saying - what i was saying is that the status quo is that these business are self regulating and only enforce their own standards.

that status quo is going to change and this event will trigger it - the tech companies will censor based on government wishes, not the other way round.

my country will lead the way - our right wing government is only barely to the left of trump , they absolutely will get their control over media back.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Enki wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:47 am noddy

There are some really hard information management problems with a decentralized system. But people with resources and platforms are going for the original dream of the internet.

A friend of mine is working on this BTW.
meh, its simple to bypass all things - i can do it trivially amongst my geek friends, we can rattle out encrypted custom protocols in a weekend.

thats the future, it wont include the masses who lose access to things once they are removed from the walled gardens of the mobile phone stores.

those walled gardens are the battle front, the rest is background noise.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

to access pirate bay in my country I need to run custom DNS servers and a vpn to bypass the blacklist our government enforces on the internet.

so while its true they can easily bring it back up without amazon technology, they also needed to play whackamole games to an ever decreasing audience.
ultracrepidarian
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:04 am to access pirate bay in my country I need to run custom DNS servers and a vpn to bypass the blacklist our government enforces on the internet.

so while its true they can easily bring it back up without amazon technology, they also needed to play whackamole games to an ever decreasing audience.

No one is trying to ban Parler though. So you don't need a VPN.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy

My point is even simpler than all of that. Trump would swing in another country in the past for what he did.

Instead he got banned on Twitter and his durian cultists are talking about it like it's the gulag.

People see big tech being tyrannical when the reality is they tried so very hard not to moderate for years.
-Alexander Hamilton
YMix

Post by YMix »

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

:lol:

Amen.

Years ago, I had a subscription to Forbes. Now they have reached an NYT level of Social Justice Enlightenment.

"All the news that fits our narrative, we print!"
Doc

Post by Doc »

YMix wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:57 pm Image
"Irony"

https://political-viewer.com/2021-01-11 ... nald-trump
France, Germany, Mexico, Australia Join International Outcry over Censorship of Donald Trump

An international outcry over tech censorship is underway, as political bellwethers from Mexico to Europe voice their alarm at the unchecked power of Big "Tech," following the purge of President Donald Trump by the Big Tech Masters of the Universe
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:50 am
this leaves all semantic distinctions, gibberish and horeshit from all parties concerned... they are all taking the exact opposite positions they used to take just because of opinions about trump.
Amen. One of the most interesting aspects of politics over here IMSMO, is how quickly ideologies adopt the strategies and tactics of their former oppressors after they gain power.

Lefties whine about Big Business buying Republicans, then when Big Business starts buying Democrats, lefties think it's cool and the righties start whining about unfairness.

Herd behavior at it's finest.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:21 pm
noddy wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:50 am
Amen. One of the most interesting aspects of politics over here IMSMO, is how quickly ideologies adopt the strategies and tactics of their former oppressors after they gain power.

Lefties whine about Big Business buying Republicans, then when Big Business starts buying Democrats, lefties think it's cool and the righties start whining about unfairness.

Herd behavior at it's finest.
Yeah after the 2008 financial crisis Obama told the bankers "I am the only thing between you and the people with the pitch forks" No Banksters went to jail. John McCain had the IRS herd the Tea Party. After Trump got elected The Republican Establishment became Never-Trumpsters.

Herds apparently make poor shepherds.It seems to me that herds should not be taxed without representation.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Well, if you all prefer your news from proven liars, then that is your choice.

Fox and Newsmax aren't going anywhere. You can get all your emotional jiggles from misinformation that you could ever want.
-Alexander Hamilton
Doc

Post by Doc »

"Proven liars"

Twitter Insider Secretly Records CEO Jack Dorsey Detailing Agenda For Further Political Censorship

ZFhHg8QXTE8
Enki

Post by Enki »

Good. Jack Dorsey is doing the right thing by not helping insurrection.
-Alexander Hamilton
Doc

Post by Doc »

Enki wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:04 pm Good. Jack Dorsey is doing the right thing by not helping insurrection.
OOOOOPS !!

GAGgXz_N98U
Enki

Post by Enki »

Yea. Temporary deplatforming is exactly the same as murdering millions of people.

I don't think you understand history very well.
-Alexander Hamilton
Doc

Post by Doc »

OOOOPS !!!

O47VpP_BMY4