Local government and politics | NYC et al, RIP?

Doc

Re: NYC, RIP?

Post by Doc »

The Democrats are really desperate. Plan nine from the democratic party is to move enough leftists out of the big cites so they are no longer a regional party.

80aeEsBywTc
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Spectator | As New Yorkers flee, the suburbs are under siege
Will these sudden countryside converts stick around once virus hysteria passes?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

shootingsurge.png
shootingsurge.png (120.54 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
[Source: Financial Times]
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

cSYxu6wE5jE
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Jerry Seinfeld says NYC is not dead. But then again, he's probably got a lot of money, and he's Jewish.... kinda.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/24/opin ... virus.html

I talked to my brother-in-law yesterday, who just retired from NYS employment as a person who determines building allocation, which close, which stay open, etc.

He lives near Albany, and often traveled to NYC as part of his work. I asked him if he had been to NYC recently, he surprised me by saying "Oh, I wouldn't dare go to NYC!"

Sounded like his reasoning might be mostly based on the risk of contracting COVID. It might have been based more on crime/anarchy risk, his answer caught me so off guard that I did not ask any follow up questions.

Interesting response from a person who used to visit NYC occasionally with his family for recreation.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:18 pm Jerry Seinfeld says NYC is not dead. But then again, he's probably got a lot of money, and he's Jewish.... kinda.

I talked to my brother-in-law yesterday, who just retired from NYS employment as a person who determines building allocation, which close, which stay open, etc.

He lives near Albany, and often traveled to NYC as part of his work. I asked him if he had been to NYC recently, he surprised me by saying "Oh, I wouldn't dare go to NYC!"

Sounded like his reasoning might be mostly based on the risk of contracting COVID. It might have been based more on crime/anarchy risk, his answer caught me so off guard that I did not ask any follow up questions.

Interesting response from a person who used to visit NYC occasionally with his family for recreation.
jiKOwHAc6mA
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:18 pm Jerry Seinfeld says NYC is not dead. But then again, he's probably got a lot of money, and he's Jewish.... kinda.

of course NYC (or any other city) is not going anywhere - if it remains as cultural relevant or powerful as it once was will be tied to Americas global relevance more than the covid shock.

at the opposite end of the scale, the city in my state is almost dead - the surrounding suburbs have better parking, cheaper rent - anything interesting to be done is found in those areas, the CBD itself is a sterile collection of lawyers and big company headquarters.

Europe is chock full of cities which once ruled the world, they didnt go anywhere, just changed from being the center of the universe to a place with nightclubs and restaurants.

I cant see people leaving my country, excitedly moving to New York for a chance at the big league much anymore, the public image of the place has taken a beating in the international papers.

still, if the economy picks up, all that will fade soon enough.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:51 am

of course NYC (or any other city) is not going anywhere - if it remains as cultural relevant or powerful as it once was will be tied to Americas global relevance more than the covid shock.

at the opposite end of the scale, the city in my state is almost dead - the surrounding suburbs have better parking, cheaper rent - anything interesting to be done is found in those areas, the CBD itself is a sterile collection of lawyers and big company headquarters.

Europe is chock full of cities which once ruled the world, they didnt go anywhere, just changed from being the center of the universe to a place with nightclubs and restaurants.

I cant see people leaving my country, excitedly moving to New York for a chance at the big league much anymore, the public image of the place has taken a beating in the international papers.

People live in NYC because there is always something to do and they don't seem to understand that while the pay is less in other places other places are much cheaper to live in as well.

Now NYC is shut down. People are stuck in tiny little apartments and even if they did go out there is not much to do.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:51 am

maybe. me thinks the phrase "NYC is dead!" means more than anything else, it has lost the sheen it was had during the boom market, not that NYC becomes ZombieCentral or physically vanishes from the face of the Earth.

the article about increased bandwidth means being located in NYC is probably less critical to being on the avant guard than it has been in the past, carries a fair amount of weight, tech will probably be a bigger influence than COVID or local NYC mismanagement.

back in the 70's it was a third world city, and those who buy when no one else is buying, did well for themselves over a two or three decades. dead? probably not, coming back in a year or three or ten or fifty or becoming irrelevant due to modern tech, local chaos, and lower operating costs elsewhere is the real question.

NYC has borders. moving a few miles sometimes means the attractions are only a few minutes farther away, but cost of living and quality of life has increased noticeably.

voting with one's feet is very effective...... look at the incredible variety of restaurants......
noddy

Post by noddy »

yah, I find it hard to have a sensible conversation on because I hate cities.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:34 am

maybe. me thinks the phrase "NYC is dead!" means more than anything else, it has lost the sheen it was had during the boom market, not that NYC becomes ZombieCentral or physically vanishes from the face of the Earth.
+1; but it would be epic if it vanished from the map
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:35 am
Simple Minded wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:34 am

+1; but it would be epic if it vanished from the map
most of NY state would not shed a single tear. current state of NYC is ironic since most NYC'ers have always considered themselves the epitome of everything. the coastal elite, ya know!

also on the ironic side, my wife's oldest sister (age 67), who lives near Albany, sent my wife a text the other day saying Cuomo is doing a wonderful job of keeping everyone safe from COVID.

between her opinion, and that of my brother in law and my wife's other sister, local reporting in the NY Capitol district must be....... interesting.
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh my distracted ramble didnt focus on the main point.

a bunch of folks moving away from the city due to its gloss wearing off is neither here nor there, cities are high churn places.

it will be the lack of drawcard for overseas folks arriving in droves because they think they can make it big that will be the tell.

and right here right now, it is hard to see that starting up in hurry.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

In contrast to SM's NYS people; we are NYC people.

There is only "The City" & sure, other people might have their nice, little places but they aren't serious.

My father would acknowledge London, Hong Kong and Tokyo as real cities, but that's as cosmopolitan as it gets; for people of a certain age.

I was just thinking about that the other day as my father recently said to me that if he had to do it all over again, he'd have preferred to stay in the city.

I said to him, "We did grow up in a city." From there, he into a (mostly) joking rant about things like how the city officials would break into a sweat that a metropolis was forming if six people gathered at the ice cream parlor. And that he ended up raising a bunch of hicks...it's basically all countryside & wilderness to him.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:38 pm In contrast to SM's NYS people; we are NYC people.

There is only "The City" & sure, other people might have their nice, little places but they aren't serious.

My father would acknowledge London, Hong Kong and Tokyo as real cities, but that's as cosmopolitan as it gets; for people of a certain age.

I was just thinking about that the other day as my father recently said to me that if he had to do it all over again, he'd have preferred to stay in the city.

I said to him, "We did grow up in a city." From there, he into a (mostly) joking rant about things like how the city officials would break into a sweat that a metropolis was forming if six people gathered at the ice cream parlor. And that he ended up raising a bunch of hicks...it's basically all countryside & wilderness to him.
Ah yes, the timeless NYS vs. NYC rivalry. As emotional a discussion as politics or religion. And every bit as entertaining.

Below the Mason-Dixon Line, its all NY all the time.

As noddy said, the real indicator of NYC health will be influx of fortune seekers. That and real estate prices.

Your Dad has some serious white privilege. :P Hopefully this did not result in you feeling too guilty about being white. Of course that assumes Italian qualifies as white. Probably a line of demarcation somewhere between Northern Italy & Sicily. ;)

Not unexpectedly, my family near Rochester have a very different opinion of COVID & Cuomo than my wife's family near Albany. Rochester is redneck to Albany as is Albany to NYC.
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:17 pm yeh my distracted ramble didnt focus on the main point.

a bunch of folks moving away from the city due to its gloss wearing off is neither here nor there, cities are high churn places.

it will be the lack of drawcard for overseas folks arriving in droves because they think they can make it big that will be the tell.

and right here right now, it is hard to see that starting up in hurry.
For what it is worth - People immigrate to the US mostly for their kids. If they are over 30 years old it is rare the parents will ever feel completely at home in the US. Mostly they go to places where there are other people with the same back ground nationality as they are. Which tends to be big cities.

Mexicans for example. One will get a job someplace. Then write back home or just go there for Christmas Then others will want to come to the same places as well. Mexicans I have known work very hard at their jobs. But the jobs don't pay so well for illegal immigrants so they live poor. And even though they live poor,by US standards they still send money back home.

When I lived in Texas I knew a couple that had four kids and no furniture. I gave them my old furniture. They were so happy. The kids were running back and forth between the living room couch and chair. That is when my son took his first steps copying them.

The apartment complex was really a dump. Cockroaches everywhere you looked. However they owned a house in Mexico. It had a dirt floor.

On the other hand there is an old joke in Toronto.

Q) What do you call an immigrant in Toronto with a doctorate in Physics?

a) dishwasher.

They suffer a lot to come. Without kids many would just go back to their home country otherwise, or would not come at all.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:15 pm City J |Anarchy in New York
You see this stuff over and over again, crime, climate change, poverty, taxation, spending, etc.

Politicians must be the least cognizant group of people in the world when it comes to understanding cause and effect.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:08 pm
You see this stuff over and over again, crime, climate change, poverty, taxation, spending, etc.

Politicians must be the least cognizant group of people in the world when it comes to understanding cause and effect.
On the other hand, one could argue that everyone gets the politicians that they deserve.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:12 pm

On the other hand, one could argue that everyone gets the politicians that they deserve.
Perhaps true en masse, assuming no corruption behind the scenes.

But the average Joe can't spend unlimited time and resource attempting to counter balance politicians and MSM types who have unlimited resources, and very strong incentives to steer the herd in their preferred direction.

Climate Change is a great example. Every person I have ever met who buys into the "Existential Threat" mode of thinking, has never taken even a single college level physics class. Every time I have ever asked a Climate Change Alarmist to "model the Earth as their living room and tell me how you would measure temperature to 0.1 degrees over a month," they all go blank. Even our very own Zack Morris.

Set the stage for what is acceptable culture or fashion thru pure repetition, and peer pressure will do the heavy lifting.
Typhoon

Re: Local government | NYC, RIP?

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids

Colonel Sun wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:12 pm

Indeed.

They get'em good and hard.

NYC mayor race was a little over 1 million votes in the last two elections. The majority of the city was ambivalent, as if things could never go bad.

A few hundred of those votes actually were write-ins for former mayors, living and deceased, going back to the legendary Fiorello LaGuardia who was last in office in 1945.

Makes me wonder who has the longest streak of receiving at least one vote for an office?

Hillary Clinton also received two hundred votes...maybe she should run for NYC mayor?
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:34 pm
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:38 pm In contrast to SM's NYS people; we are NYC people.

Ah yes, the timeless NYS vs. NYC rivalry. As emotional a discussion as politics or religion. And every bit as entertaining.

Below the Mason-Dixon Line, its all NY all the time.

As noddy said, the real indicator of NYC health will be influx of fortune seekers. That and real estate prices.

Your Dad has some serious white privilege. :P Hopefully this did not result in you feeling too guilty about being white. Of course that assumes Italian qualifies as white. Probably a line of demarcation somewhere between Northern Italy & Sicily. ;)

Not unexpectedly, my family near Rochester have a very different opinion of COVID & Cuomo than my wife's family near Albany. Rochester is redneck to Albany as is Albany to NYC.
Yes, very passionate if provincial!

I love going places and hearing about why where ever I am is awesome, especially compared to the people right next door. It beats disinterest and apathy almost everyday.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:21 am
Yes, very passionate if provincial!

I love going places and hearing about why where ever I am is awesome, especially compared to the people right next door. It beats disinterest and apathy almost everyday.
I am a ton luckier than most. Why? You axe!

Wherever I go, there I am! :D

Not only that, but wherever I go, the center of the universe moves with me! :D

Seems to be part of God's special plan for me.

If I wasn't so selfish, I'd feel sorry for all you other Pour Boys!
Apollonius

Re: Local government and politics | NYC, RIP?

Post by Apollonius »

The day the music died - Taki, Taki's Magazine, 7 November 2020
https://www.takimag.com/article/the-day-the-music-died/

NEW YORK—Back when people used to read newspapers, they called it a “human interest” story; now it appears as just another statistic. The utter drivel expressed daily by the know-nothings in social media will have ignored it, but for a dreaded Biden sheet that actually published the story: A young Japanese man came over to the Bagel from Tokyo to make it as a jazz pianist, and that he did. He started a trio of his own and toured with several bands until the fateful night of Sept. 27, when he rode the New York subway after a video shoot. Tadataka Unno is now 40 years old and a new father, but he most likely will never play an instrument as a professional again.

Coming off the subway at 135th Street, the Japanese musician was suddenly surrounded by a group of young people, as the participants in the vicious encounter were described. Like in the U.K., the media over here do not describe criminals by their race or ethnicity. Only whites are described as such in a felonious dispute. The so-called young people beat the young Japanese musician for no known reason, fracturing his right collarbone, injuring his arm, and rendering his right hand useless. He now uses his left hand only, and the fuzz has made no arrests, although the beating was all on camera. Throughout the ordeal he was called a Chinese motherf—er. “Young people” beating some stranger nowadays is hardly a crime the cops will bother with in Harlem, thanks to Mayor de Blasio’s and Governor Cuomo’s woke liberal policies. Why bother to arrest anyone who will walk after ten minutes, is the police thinking. Bail for lesser crimes than murder such as looting is no longer required, perpetrators simply have their names taken down, are given a future court date, and are free to walk.